Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Green Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Share about your live server! (/forums/showthread.php?t=418614)

pink grapefruit 05-04-2023 12:27 PM

Share about your live server!

Recently, I've become interested in the various online cultures that developed on the various EverQuest servers. Watching the adventures of Janes the green server cleric (Sage Freke on youtube) I learned that gfay was the trading hub on at least one blue server. And we all know that some servers actually had very friendly raid rotations, while others embraced the chaos of racing one another to raid targets.

What made your server the unique experience it was, and why was your EQ experience more interesting than it would have been on other servers? Why did the culture on your server develop the way it did?

In trying to articulate my thoughts about why EQ was a better social experience than WoW, I keep coming up with the thought that the increased freedom on EQ servers resulted in a greater variation of MMO culture.

please share! <3

strongNpretty 05-04-2023 12:36 PM

Long live Fennin Ro!

pink grapefruit 05-04-2023 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongNpretty (Post 3608079)
Long live Fennin Ro!

why tho

Toxigen 05-04-2023 01:05 PM

Asheron's Call: Darktide

nuff said

Ooloo 05-04-2023 02:08 PM

I started on Povar in 1999. It was the only server I ever played on live, it eventually merged with ayonae ro. I can't really say what made it more interesting than other servers, I know we had both gfay, north freeport and the EC tunnel as trade hubs that were all used roughly equally. I eventually joined Triton who were one of the longest running hardcore raid guilds from classic. I was 13 at the time, it was pretty epic.

Ultima Online had more interesting server personalities due to the non-instanced housing system and player-made towns tho.

jolanar 05-04-2023 09:12 PM

Started on Solusek Ro but moved to Tallon Zek when it opened. Quit when Prophecy of Ro came out.

Came back when the Mayong Mistmoore 51/50 server opened. This was when Seeds of Destruction was current. Played on Mayong until it closed and got transfered to FV. Played there ever since.

Not happy with the direction of the game in the past few expansions so I haven't played much. Mobs have absurd HP.

nilbog 05-04-2023 11:44 PM

The server I spent the most time on was Erollisi Marr. When emarr was down, or I had nothing to do/didn't want to burn a corpse timer, I would play on Rallos Zek.

The top guild on emarr was Da`Kor; the first to clear airplane(?).

Early in the server, the trading hubs were split. There was gfaydark on a certain day (sunday?). That only lasted so long, and it was only ecommons afterwards.

Before Velious, the raid scene was not great, but it was also very undeveloped. When TOV was an option, if a guild could kill Aaryonar by themselves, they would be put into the rotation for ntov. This was player enforced; not gms.

cannobeers3 05-04-2023 11:54 PM

Veeshan. It was, of course, top heavy with FoH. A lot of great people, a lot of asshats, and a lot of drama. All in all, a proper server-community. Best guild was Valhall.

Rader 05-05-2023 07:02 AM

played mostly on Innoruuk and Bertox, but dabbled on a few others

it was always EC for trading as far as I recalled, how did that work in GFay? for NFP, assume everyone just jammed the bank and the surrounding area

mcoy 05-05-2023 08:31 AM

Rodcet Nife: '99- some time after ldon. I was (still am!) just a dumb cleric and didn't pay attention to the raid scene.

-Mcoy