Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Naming policy a joke? (/forums/showthread.php?t=146739)

Trosh 04-10-2014 11:52 AM

Naming policy a joke?

I was just wandering around the forums when I noticed a thread for funny names, which reminded me that I actually really didn't like the fact that after reading the server rules before logging in for the first time, half of the names were ridiculous or at least not at all following the guidelines set when I finally was in-game.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651 clearly states in section 3 (and goes into great detail) how basically all names should be original and based in a fantasy genre. It states that any names that are copyrighted or trademarked, or are phrases or would make a phrase when read the right way (like Crymea River) or names that wouldn't fit in the Genre (Switchblade, Cannabis) were not allowed. I'm wondering if that changed at some point? Or is it just that it would be a huge pain to fix? Is it that the GM's don't care or they have their own funny named characters they don't want to delete?

Personally I would like to see all of those names removed, mostly because it would make the feel of the game much more authentic, but also because grouping with someone who is named Quit Everquest is just plain ridiculous. Also the basic rules that are set down should be followed or at the very least attempted.

Let me know your thoughts! Is this something that also annoys you? would you like to see it changed?

HethGnome 04-10-2014 11:53 AM

Crymea River

Daldaen 04-10-2014 11:57 AM

Definitely would like to see some names removed.

A ranger named Cums in Blackburrow was pretty ridiculous...

But at this point going back and removing non-Fantasy names would be pretty time intensive and cause lots of drama.

feanan 04-10-2014 12:00 PM

Bugs the hell out of me.

We've had these threads before. Most people don't care.

yeah, it would be time intensive. That being said, if they put out a call for a Naming enforcement GM/guide, I'm sure they'd get apps.

Kika Maslyaka 04-10-2014 12:01 PM

basically - the staff never bothered to enforce this particular policy unless the name was truly offensive.

If you played Shards of Dalaya server (or just read their forums) you would know how much effort they put into keeping names "clean" ;)

Telin 04-10-2014 12:03 PM

There should be some check that rejects inappropriate names containing certain words during character creation.

Supaskillz 04-10-2014 12:04 PM

This is classic. Policy basically says rp names only, rule is only enforced for offensive names based on complaints. Basically just like live in 99-01

Laugher 04-10-2014 12:04 PM

I have seen names changed on the basis that they are offensive

I'm talking about you Sascrotch ;) aka now Zorch lol.

During my first few months back here last yr I asked about in Sirken's stream, and I think that the naming policy is in place because if the staff (or players) are offended they are justified in their right to change or report something to be changed.

My main on blue is an obvious offender; I asked in stream because on live within my first week of playing my named was changed from "freddimercury" to "Gwao".. it was never the same haha

Telin 04-10-2014 12:10 PM

I remember on live a GM changing Toocutetocare to Tucare because somebody felt insecure.

HethGnome 04-10-2014 12:10 PM

The creative or play on words type names don't bother me, but I do find it strange that there is no filter on character creation naming.

The "get name" generator thing is also busted, sometimes it suggests one or two letter names, and sometimes they're just gibberish, like strings of vowels or consonants. I vaguely recall when you used get name on live it would be kinda tailored to the race you were making, like wood elves would get different kinds of names than ogres or trolls.