Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Casters (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Necro or Mage (/forums/showthread.php?t=106886)

Trojanman 04-28-2013 01:48 PM

Necro or Mage

Hello, I'm returning to p1999 after a hiatus and starting pretty much fresh with no characters over lvl 20.

Looking for a character to solo with no gear but have never played an int caster. I find necro appealing because of feign death and fear. Seems to have high survivability. But obviously mages have the best pets in the game and great nukes.

Another big concern is that I've always played good races so would want to be a gnome, but I'm not sure what kind of faction concerns I would have being a mage vs necro. Is there a resource that lays out what places I would be KOS in as a gnome mage/necro?

I need a good farming character as I will want to gear a melee class later on and need to build up some income. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

smokemon 04-28-2013 02:24 PM

Necro, for sure.

Apostle 04-28-2013 02:40 PM

mage for sure, necro pets are very bad and you actually LOSE health from some spells,

smokemon 04-29-2013 08:37 AM

LoL played both, necro can hold harder camps solo > mage, all a round more versed. Fear, Snare, Lifetap, Mana-regen, mana-battery, just versatile.

Swish 04-29-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trojanman (Post 937538)
Is there a resource that lays out what places I would be KOS in as a gnome mage/necro?

Not that I can think of but I'm fairly certain gnome necros aren't KOS in Kelethin or Felwithe (as long as you stay away from the cleric/pally guildmasters), but will have trouble trading there? Mages should be fine however.

Necros can get around all kinds of faction issues though later on. Skeleton form helps a lot of factions to change to non-kos (though this is meant to be a bug I think), and with a Circlet of Shadows you can easily invis up towards banking in Felwithe, Kelethin, North Freeport by hiding behind a wall and scrolling back on your mousewheel to target the bankers on the other side. Bankers will be kos so don't go running in with a "HAIII GUYS!!11!" attitude ;)

Trojanman 04-29-2013 02:03 PM

Thanks Swish, good info.

Bubbles 05-03-2013 10:09 AM

gnome necros are extremely KOS in kelethin and felwithe.

You are basically stuck with Ak Anon, Freeport underground (and NFP after you start killing corrupt FP guards for xp/faction), Neriak (stay the hell away from any non-necro caster guilds, though), and Overthere.

It's still quite a decent amount of options for a necro to bank at (DEs are basically Neriak/FP Underground/OT only.. not sure if Oggok/Grobb are viable for DE or not w/out massive faction work).

The wildcard would be paineel/erudin. I had some decent faction luck on a gnome bertoxx necro in Paineel, but certainly not erudin.

But yeah, for the love of god, don't send a gnome necro anywhere near Kelethin or Felwithe.

falkun 05-03-2013 10:49 AM

Miley sighting.

Malone88 05-03-2013 02:18 PM

Dabbling in the dark arts and feign death, ftw....

Mage just sounds boring to me.

Trojanman 05-03-2013 03:50 PM

feign death has already gotten me out of at least 3 certain death situations.