Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Homesteading (/forums/showthread.php?t=426837)

Homesteaded 12-19-2023 10:37 AM

Homesteading

Since this place seem to be completely sterile of any interesting topics, I thought I would throw out a discussion about something I'm thinking more and more about, Homesteading.

Anyone doing any type of homesteading activities? Animals? Gardens? Water sourcing? Off-Grid energy? Canning?

Right now we have a decent garden and plan to keep expanding. We are getting chickens this Spring. I wish I had a way to use wood to heat my house but right now I don't and the process to outfit it with wood burning seems like a heavy lift.

We hope to start doing some canning. Essentially we are trying to get to a point where we rely less and less on outside food sources. My trust for the food we are provided through the normal channels is very low.

Evia 12-19-2023 12:01 PM

thats bc i think there are like 10-15 people left on the forums.

I've always wanted to get into Homesteading. I think it's a smart move to get as self sufficient as possible considering the clown world we're living in.

Trexller 12-19-2023 12:38 PM

can always get a stand alone wood stove. stack pipe ventilation thru a space you make yourself

installed in a day

One Tin Soldier 12-19-2023 01:04 PM

Well ok, I'll respond. I live out in the middle of nowhere and raise cattle for a living. I heat my house entirely with wood heat. I have my own well for water (don't have any other option to be honest).

My parents had chickens when I was a kid but I don't. I have been toying with the idea of getting a few. I don't do much gardening but in the past I have done some canning. Tomatoes mostly. I've made some jam and apple butter at times.

I have played around with blacksmithing some but never got serous about it.

At one time I was thinking about making my own flour but...you know...laziness. It's so much easier to just buy flour.

Origen 12-19-2023 01:36 PM

There is no escape from capitalism, but I wish you and your family luck in the attempt

Homesteaded 12-19-2023 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trexller (Post 3666869)
can always get a stand alone wood stove. stack pipe ventilation thru a space you make yourself

installed in a day

The guy we bought our house from replaced a woodburning fireplace with electric. Quite gay of him.

Elizondo 12-19-2023 03:58 PM

Origen purposely trying to turn this thread political to get it nuked

Trexller 12-19-2023 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizondo (Post 3666880)

it takes 2 to play the game, don't even acknowledge it

Seducio 12-19-2023 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trexller (Post 3666881)
it takes 2 to play the game, don't even acknowledge it

I no longer interact with that guy. Trexller is correct.

Some trolls do what they do for fun. The guy I no longer interact with has different motives.

booter 12-19-2023 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizondo (Post 3666880)

so is the OP... i mean if talking about an economic system (capitalism) is politics, then certainly so is equating technology with sexuality

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homesteaded (Post 3666878)
The guy we bought our house from replaced a woodburning fireplace with electric. Quite gay of him.