Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Melee (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Solo Self Found Monk - Iksar vs Human (/forums/showthread.php?t=417056)

Vanessa 03-27-2023 09:16 AM

Solo Self Found Monk - Iksar vs Human

So I decided to do a solo self found character as an alt. I'm planning to do a Monk since I've never played one and they sound fun. However, I'm stuck on which race to go with.

I'd prefer human, because they actually jump up in the air when doing flying kicks lol. Also, as a Human I'd have access to Gnoll Fang and Band Sash quests for some really nice exp and coin in the early levels. However, I know regen is a pretty strong skill when it comes to downtime, especially at lvl 50+ when the regen really starts to kick in.

I guess one thing I am wondering is, as a Monk, being able to BindWound to 50%, then Mend to 70%. Do you think that makes the Iksar regen less useful?

I will never raid or group on this character, nor will I buy anything from EC. It will strictly be only soloing.

So with all that in mind, which race would some of you go with?

Toxigen 03-27-2023 09:22 AM

regen will overtake anything human gets. bigly.

Snaggles 03-27-2023 10:20 AM

Regen won’t make up for the 20% xp penalty. In the low levels that’s a free kill to the human every time the iksar gets 4. Later when stuff gets tough a monk that can kill one blue con with mend can keep up with a single 6min 40sec spawn which will slowly take you to 60. In this case regen isn’t helping you at all.

I’d play what you want; what your char looks like and how you prefer that is massive. Knowing how to pull/play and gear is the lion share difference of comparing monks. The greats would be fine with a human and the awful ones need far more than a little standing regen to be good.

Toxigen 03-27-2023 10:35 AM

idk mayne id rather just know im regenerating far more hp per hour over the life of my character

would definitely be noticeable without fungi

Sajan 03-27-2023 12:29 PM

I'm doing this now. I started out as Human because that's what I prefer fashion-wise. I made it to lvl 22 before I realized how massively OP the regen would be while I was sitting around during downtime with minimal gear and rerolled. Iksar is 48 now and cruising. No regrets.

Crede 03-27-2023 12:59 PM

Iksar regen not a huge deal when youre 51 and can bind wound to 70%. It's nice when you are FD somewhere though. With that being said, no reason to go human unless for fashion reasons. Iksar female is sorta a way to break it up a bit since theres a billion iksar male monks running around.

Keebz 03-27-2023 06:49 PM

Just go human if you want to be a human.

To answer your question though, racial regen is very very good 51+ and to a lesser extent 1-15. Bind wound does not change anything. The reality is a human monk is a weaker character than an iksar monk. Full stop. Human monks are still strong though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Crede 03-27-2023 07:32 PM

It’s also worth noting that iksars get an xp penalty. Rarely if ever have I seen evidence that regen will offset the xp penalty. It’s a nice perk at 60 though when you’re done leveling. Based on OPs requirements I’d say go human monk. Bind wound to 70%, mend, and ridiculous mitigation is honestly good enough. As someone noted in another thread iksar sk would probably be a cooler self found build as an iksar.

loramin 03-27-2023 07:44 PM

In another recent post on this topic (https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...20#post3590120) I did the following breakdown (which didn't address the XP penalty or levels 51+):

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3590120)
OP, there's no right answer here, as it's a subjective question. If you want to know objectively how much of a disadvantage it will put you at, just do the math ... I'll do "back of the napkin" math (neck beards feel free to pick it apart).

Fights (1 to 50)

If we're talking about fighting, not downtime, Iksar get a single extra HP per tick. Fight length depends on level, so I'll pick one minute (10 ticks) to make it a round number.

In other words, it's roughly 10 more HP per fight from 1 to 50. Looking at some random Magelos, I saw a 50 monk with like 1400 HP, and a level 5 with like 100. Obviously twinking will change this, but with any gear it's unlikely that this would be a "game breaker".

Downtime (1 to 50)

Looking at downtime, it's the exact same thing if you are feigned, but if you are sitting the rate is 2x what a Human would get. From levels 20-49 that means 3 HP more per tick. Let's say a Monk has around 900 HP, and goes down to exactly half, 450 HP (so no bandages). The human will take 15 minutes to heal, while the Iksar will take half that (7.5 min).

Fungi and 51+

Obviously, if you have a fungi (15/HP a tick) then the natural healing of either race is somewhat inconsequential. And above 50 ... well, someone else can do the math, but presumably, the scaling rate is similar.

Conclusion

The way I see it, 10 more HP a fight is not a game-breaker at all. But, having half the downtime (with no fungi, and no bandaging) is pretty noticeable ... if you are sitting there at your computer waiting anxiously. If you prefer to fight, then go afk to clean the house or something, you might not even notice the 7-8 minute difference.

And of course, all this is for soloing, not duos or larger groups (when someone is healing you, a few HP every tick truly doesn't matter).

If you're curious about 51+ you can easily do the math yourself to see.

But really, I'd encourage you to crunch the numbers top get a more objective answer: otherwise you're just going to get a whole lot of people's "feels" here, and obviously, those are going to be subjective.

Keebz 03-27-2023 09:31 PM

Think about it more like if you grind for 2 hours, that's 1200 ticks. So that's somewhere around 1200 - 2400 extra hp depending on how much you're sitting. This is for pre-51. At low levels it's pretty amazing, while at higher levels, it's just an extra CH. Looking at 51 and beyond this is somewhere from 4800 - 11,400 more hp over a 2 hour grind.

This does not factor any additional mitigation from AC, ofc.