Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Green Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   How Did Old School Bards Do It? (/forums/showthread.php?t=358131)

dtjp1999 05-06-2020 05:39 PM

How Did Old School Bards Do It?

I played a bard on live after Luclin, and Blue after Kunark, so I’ve never had the true “classic” experience with one. Thus I wanted to start one on Green, but have learned about some classic limitations that exist there that don’t on Blue (e.g., no cycle targeting, 6 slots per hotbar).

I’m old and my hands show it. I actually play with a programmable controller that allows me to avoid much of the repetitive key stroking that otherwise be necessary, but with classics limitations I’m not sure even that will work.

So, my question basically is how did old school bards do it? If it’s just not possible to be effective without constant mouse clicking, hot bar swapping, plus twisting song, then it seems I must give up on the class I love and settle on something far less demanding.

ChooChoo Train 05-06-2020 05:54 PM

Its not bad once your used to it, I have song 1-6 on bar, 7-8 are those respective songs, you can target nearest and just move to get close, you can tab between last two targets. If doing work is something you’re not wanting to do and you want to play to maximum potential, I’d suggest another class. Shift+# switches to another setup for say charming or fear kiting or pulling etc.

ldgo86 05-06-2020 05:56 PM

I miss Duxa so much

Gustoo 05-06-2020 06:27 PM

In old school, bards played 1 song at a time as intended.

Bigsham 05-06-2020 07:40 PM

Admits to software twisting in his own thread

Seetherrr 05-06-2020 08:50 PM

Bards are really the only class in EQ that requires "mechanical skill" and I don't recommend playing one without understanding what they are getting themselves into and being able to perform those actions or accepting that you aren't going to play anywhere near optimally otherwise.

xalg 05-06-2020 11:53 PM

i started a related thread a few days back. there are a number of people who use programmable devices to reduce the strain on their hands but the server rules say you'll be permanently banned if you're caught using them. i haven't rolled a bard on green but i've thought about how i might set things up if i did. for the hotbar, you either have to split your /stopsong macros across multiple pages and swap between them or double tap each song as you twist. people are divided on which is better. for keybinds, you either bind your songs near wasd, on the numpad, or on the 12 buttons of an mmo mouse. i think most people bind near wasd but between twisting, double tapping, instrument swapping, using wasd to chain pull, hitting inc, and possibly also commanding pets, it really isn't good for you. using the numpad or an mmo mouse is probably better for you (depending how you use them) but not ideal.

gnomishfirework 05-07-2020 12:06 AM

I think multiple hot bars is the wya to go. 3-4 should do ya. Easy to swap between if you need to but shouldn’t really be an issue.

FatMice 05-07-2020 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seetherrr (Post 3124867)
Bards are really the only class in EQ that requires "mechanical skill"

feeling the burn.

Keebz 05-07-2020 03:14 AM

I didn't bard til kunark, but twisting was a thing by then. I regularly twisted using the double tap method. I don't remember the hot bar being super limiting back then, but our expectations were a lot lower. I may have just been using the spell gem hotkeys themselves.

There were a few eq bard sites (eq diva comes to mind) that had good tutorials and articles. If you can find them on the internet archive it may give you some ideas.