Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Melee (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Bard weapon suggestions, new alt. (/forums/showthread.php?t=418603)

Linfang 05-04-2023 10:03 AM

Bard weapon suggestions, new alt.

I rerolled an alt to a bard. I played a bard to 54 on live so know the ins and outs. I solo a lot on my main here so this bard is for grouping in peak hours.

I have a bag full of really crummy bard only weapons. Like 20p 50p a piece. Not sure if bard only weapons are worth it like a wrist snapper? Also many bard weapon procs are like level 50ish

I want to spend about 600-800. I do have a SK and Pally alt also so if they can use it also that's an extra bonus.

On a good note I have a Guard Captain's Mallet which I plan to use but would like an additional weapon, especially with dual wielding.

Toxigen 05-04-2023 10:17 AM

all you need is a lute and a drum, maybe buy a vendor lute for invis and a horn just to have

Mistmoore Battle Drums and Lute of the Gypsy Princess - both killer bang for the buck

forget the weapons, bards that melee before epic are just kidding themselves

group settings at peak hours you're going to be pulling and supporting the group with CC and whatever is needed to fill the gaps in group composition (slows, haste buff, mana regen, etc)

Linfang 05-04-2023 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxigen (Post 3608011)
all you need is a lute and a drum, maybe buy a vendor lute for invis and a horn just to have

Mistmoore Battle Drums and Lute of the Gypsy Princess - both killer bang for the buck

forget the weapons, bards that melee before epic are just kidding themselves

group settings at peak hours you're going to be pulling and supporting the group with CC and whatever is needed to fill the gaps in group composition (slows, haste buff, mana regen, etc)

The Gypsy Lute and MM battle drums were the first thing I picked up. Any idea if updated the Sharkskin drum for the extra point in percussion worth it?

Crede 05-04-2023 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linfang (Post 3608018)
The Gypsy Lute and MM battle drums were the first thing I picked up. Any idea if updated the Sharkskin drum for the extra point in percussion worth it?

Try to save up some more pp and get the walrus skin drum. It’s the best thing you can buy. Charm plus a good drum for dots is all you need for solo 30+. Gypsy lute and vendor stuff is good otherwise. I also agree with Toxigen, wait to get the epic or siren dagger proc for melee.

Toxigen 05-04-2023 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linfang (Post 3608018)

Like Crede said, Walrus Skin Drum is stellar but you really only need it if you're going to solo (for DoTs) or if you need to take off running w/ selo's.

As you said you'll be focused on grouping at peak hours, which you will be using the lute the entire time. Hymn of resto gets a big boost to healing and at 34 Cantana is string required. May as well get used to it now.

It may be out of your price range right now, but The Eye Pulling Helm was my favorite bard item. You can keep playing mana song in your group and go pull w/ the eye and deal with the mobs that come roaring into camp like a boss.

Ripqozko 05-04-2023 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crede (Post 3608026)
Try to save up some more pp and get the walrus skin drum. It’s the best thing you can buy. Charm plus a good drum for dots is all you need for solo 30+. Gypsy lute and vendor stuff is good otherwise. I also agree with Toxigen, wait to get the epic or siren dagger proc for melee.

Pretty unneeded , if ya gonna save for anything get jboots so ya can kite without selos. You can be naked with store bought just fine.

Toxigen 05-04-2023 11:27 AM

"this bard is for grouping in peak hours"

hope this helps

Crede 05-04-2023 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripqozko (Post 3608044)
Pretty unneeded , if ya gonna save for anything get jboots so ya can kite without selos. You can be naked with store bought just fine.

Easy to farm ac. You can’t farm walrus on a bard. Charm to 40s for solo ac is better.

Vivitron 05-04-2023 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linfang (Post 3608008)
I rerolled an alt to a bard. I played a bard to 54 on live so know the ins and outs. I solo a lot on my main here so this bard is for grouping in peak hours.

I have a bag full of really crummy bard only weapons. Like 20p 50p a piece. Not sure if bard only weapons are worth it like a wrist snapper? Also many bard weapon procs are like level 50ish

I want to spend about 600-800. I do have a SK and Pally alt also so if they can use it also that's an extra bonus.

On a good note I have a Guard Captain's Mallet which I plan to use but would like an additional weapon, especially with dual wielding.

Guardian's Mace and Di'zok Wristsnapper both seem worth considering for pairing with the Mallet. (Edit: I had weapons in your mind reading your post. Rereading it you probably want to buy some armor though.)

No practical weapon for your bard is going to be a good option for a knight after the knight hits 20 or so. And for those early levels the Guard Captain's Mallet is already competitive with the other options your bard is considering. (Edit: HP / tank gear like hp rings probably has good overlap though.)

Out of the level 50ish effect weapons you mention, Breath of Harmony may be most notable. It is not a proc it's an instant click -- which is nice for a stacking regen. Clicking it instead of singing the song means you don't get the instrument mod on the regen, but it's a song that you might not have in your twist. It's good but more appealing at blue prices than green.

For stuff to look forward to long term I like the SS helm and Jboots as much as the other posters. Lute of the Howler too: you can pop in a prime hand instrument right as a song lands while meleeing, so you can melee and still get an instrument bonus. And the click is an okay spell haste and str/atk buff.

Trelaboon 05-18-2023 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripqozko (Post 3608044)

But unless you’re kiting mobs like tigers or wolves you don’t even need a speed boost. Strafe is easier and fast enough