Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Starting Zone (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Rogue skills (/forums/showthread.php?t=255771)

A1rh3ad 10-15-2016 10:00 AM

Rogue skills

Im a necro and shes a rogue. From the start are rogues supposed to just use a basic attack until they get backstab? I keep reading about "evade" which is supposed to happen when she clicks hide during combat. I have yet to see this. Also attacking from behind. Every time she goes up to an NPC it turns to her unless I melee it too. My skeleton pet cant hold aggro off of her. Is she supposed to click auto attack and just run up to enemies. Sofar when grouped she is just acting as my tank which as you know isn't the most effective tactic.

Jimjam 10-15-2016 10:08 AM

You have to turn off attack before clicking hide in order to evade. All evade does is drop you to below the lowest person on aggro list. It sounds like it is working if mobs turn on you when you are in melee range.

Note NPCs will almost always attack players over pets, which is why it doesn't seem to work when only she and the pet are in melee.

BTW rogues are passable tanks at the lowest levels; their defence skill cap isn't actually that low and everybody is wearing cloth armour anyway. When she gets backstab you'll basically have to either facetank with the necro (gear/cast appropriately) or use snare/fear. If you aggro kit be sure to turn off pet taunt! Alternatively make friends to tank for you.

skeletonbear 10-15-2016 12:34 PM

Once you get snare / fear, she can run behind the enemy and destroy it while its running for its life. Give it some time = )

tobolamr 10-17-2016 01:15 PM

The above is true and accurate. Evading is great for Rogues, but like they said - got to shut of autoattack first, or you break the hide when you move. I set up a hot button for my rogue back in the day that shut off auto attack, then /hide and /sneak so that I could move away if simply "evading" didn't work. Which, depending on how you got aggro and who you were teaming up with, sometimes didn't work. Things tend to get really mad at you after you slow them with poison... Don't ask how I know...

Videri 10-17-2016 02:36 PM

Sounds like you're in the low levels at the moment - it's often kind of a brute force tactic until maybe...8 or 16, depending on which class? But by level 16ish, most classes start to "come into their own" as well as become more specialized.

Necro and rogue is a great duo outdoors. Combining your fear+darkness plus your pet and her blades will probably be your bread and butter strategy for outdoors. (Indoors, fear usually just makes monsters go get their friends in the next room, as you may know.)

I also highly recommend grouping. Necro + rogue + ??? ...Paladin would work great, shadowknight or warrior prob fine, ranger or monk as well, cleric may be worth a try (let the cleric try tanking?), enchanter could work maybe depending on strategy, most other classes you can find some clever way of employing each other's talents. And if you have 4 or more, it just becomes a question of efficiency. Ah, teamwork, my favorite part of EQ. :)