Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Rants and Flames (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   It's time to consider revising the Naming Policy (/forums/showthread.php?t=406414)

Sonderbeast 08-05-2022 03:06 PM

It's time to consider revising the Naming Policy

https://i.imgur.com/qyiqUgd.png

With all due respect to the devs, guides, and GM's who have been managing the servers, and considering the intention of the policy involved, this was developed 13 years ago. Are names like Tablechair or Darksister really a relevant issue when it comes to naming a character? It is important to keep in mind that some people have gamertag monikers that they just default to when playing any game, and often turn into a compound name.

Obviously many of these policies make sense: obscene names, copyright infringement, CSR abuse totally make sense. But, hear me out, lets let Eggmuffin enjoy their game. They may not be the most creative player, but Eggmuffin enjoys roleplaying as a woodelf baker and joking around in groups about how she was raised by gullydwarves.

Let Nebuchadnezzar be a Nebuchad.
Let Brotherbarley be his brother's barley.
Let clericbotzerozeroone beep boop for all we care.
Let <Riot> infringe upon the copyright of largest gaming company in the world. *cough*

It's really not ruining anyone's 'immersion' at this point, they are quirky and silly and really not deserving of tying up CSR's time changing names and bloating petitions when many of these names have simply been around for years and years now without bothering anyone.

I say lets live and let live!

Smoofers 08-05-2022 03:21 PM

I know what you're going through. I too once fell under the spell of opium. It was 1979. I was travelling the Yangtze in search of a Mongolian horsehair vest. I had got to the market after sundown. All of the clothing traders had gone, but a different sort of trader still lurked about. ‘Just a taste,’ he said. That was all it took.

Kohedron 08-05-2022 03:59 PM

who cares, put your snaggleteeth away, stfu, get help

Fammaden 08-05-2022 04:03 PM

Sorry your names got petitioned.

hobart 08-05-2022 04:05 PM

There are companies, literary works, songs, and musical acts with the word Riot in their name that pre-date Riot Games, op.

Riot is a dumb name for a guild, but I think all of those entities have concluded along the way what you are too stupid to realize. There has to be more than a shared common word to make it copyright infringement.

Arteker 08-05-2022 04:30 PM

i got almost baned for having my shaman named ,Hielo Negro. wich on english translate as black ice .
That was derubael

Evia 08-05-2022 04:34 PM

I disagree. People with those names are ruining my elfquesting immersion! :p

Fammaden 08-05-2022 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobart (Post 3489156)
There are companies, literary works, songs, and musical acts with the word Riot in their name that pre-date Riot Games, op.

Riot is a dumb name for a guild, but I think all of those entities have concluded along the way what you are too stupid to realize. There has to be more than a shared common word to make it copyright infringement.

Pussy Riot was sent to a Russian gulag to be fair.

loramin 08-05-2022 05:03 PM

To me it's a simple question: are we trying to recreate EQ circa '99-'01 here, or are we not.

Because whatever the name policy says, it's clear from the names in-game that we are not.

Chortles Snortles 08-05-2022 08:26 PM

i bet you feel pretty silly right now