Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   VS code on Linux (/forums/showthread.php?t=419874)

Duik 06-04-2023 04:12 AM

VS code on Linux

Hey peeps. Any opinions on using microsofts VScode ide on linux.
Does it defeat the purpose of opensource and give MS OpenSource undeserved credibility?

In before, "sorry you dont got X" comments don't count. Honest, open discourse only.
Look forward to sensible comments.

Khardan 06-04-2023 07:25 AM

Worth it. One of the best IDEs around at the moment.

Have it set-up on a CentOS VM, wasn't difficult, works like a charm.

goblinmob 06-04-2023 08:09 AM

Will you teach me Python? I'm an idiot. I'm tryna make a MUD for my friends cuz we'll probably never play DND in real life..or the thousands of hypothetical dollars in board games I have molding in the garage.. I literally have to ask chat AI how to uninstall Evennia (pip uninstall evennia btw) then look up how to make a virtual environment on windows cuz the tutorial said it's best. I don't even know what that means looking for a gif but I gave up

loramin 06-04-2023 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khardan (Post 3615860)

Same, except on Linux Mint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goblinmob (Post 3615865)
Will you teach me Python? I'm an idiot. I'm tryna make a MUD for my friends cuz we'll probably never play DND in real life..or the thousands of hypothetical dollars in board games I have molding in the garage.. I literally have to ask chat AI how to uninstall Evennia (pip uninstall evennia btw) then look up how to make a virtual environment on windows cuz the tutorial said it's best. I don't even know what that means looking for a gif but I gave up

If you are serious, take a class. I learned to program on my own, but it took years. Now I mentor for an online boot camp, and my students learn everything in like six months.

Duik 06-04-2023 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khardan (Post 3615860)

I am aware that vs code is a fine platform.

Was more after opinions on whether it is ethical (from a pure opensource perspective) to use an application from what is otherwise a predatory proprietary company that is known to embrace, extoll and then extend (with proprietary extentions) to then lock out those that dont use their product.
It's what they do and have done before.
Having said that, anyone heard anything to the contrary recently?

Necabo 06-04-2023 05:43 PM

When I'm in a GUI environment, Visual Studio Code is my primary editor. From my non-scientific observation, I've seen less of embrace / extinguish stuff since the departure of Ballmer.

One of the reasons why I use VS Code is show Microsoft that "yes, open source projects are worth the investment of money and development hours" -- however little of a voice I have as a single user. :)

Duik 06-04-2023 06:07 PM

Well that sounds positive, imma dive in and try it while I do some further research.
A single user can be the difference. There is lots of us. Bloody communists...

---- Edit bit for those interested----
Some initial reading has revealed something interesting.
From https://vscodium.com/
Regarding the git repository containing the VS Code source.
Quote:

When we [Microsoft] build Visual Studio Code, we do exactly this. We clone the vscode repository, we lay down a customized product.json that has Microsoft specific functionality (telemetry, gallery, logo, etc.), and then produce a build that we release under our license.

When you clone and build from the vscode repo, none of these endpoints are configured in the default product.json. Therefore, you generate a “clean” build, without the Microsoft customizations, which is by default licensed under the MIT license
VS Codium builds a ready to use binary for those disinclined to do so.

Necabo 06-04-2023 06:48 PM

I've used VSCodium as well. I chose a while back to go back to VS Code itself for the reasons above to be a vote for supporting open source to Microsoft.

goblinmob 06-04-2023 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3615889)
if I had a development team of one unskilled unpaid unmotivated intern I'm not sure what the first stuff I would want him to busy himself until he takes my bottcamp (which would probably be never) shit.. I bet I could get this idiot to make the whole "game" if I keep shoo-ing him away with questions. Besides.. this forum and wiki is getting to be about as boring as the game after the forum and wiki came along..

Duik 06-04-2023 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necabo (Post 3615972)
I've used VSCodium as well. I chose a while back to go back to VS Code itself for the reasons above to be a vote for supporting open source to Microsoft.

Good point. Ill think about that. But some suspicious part of me is still waiting for the "gotcha" bit.
You've made me think, you beautiful bastard.