Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   I miss big j. (/forums/showthread.php?t=409054)

Evia 10-11-2022 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jibartik (Post 3518329)
Yeah but to be fair, I'm not saying that they make people do one thing or the other.

But they can desensitize, or activate something in some people.

If the very idea that movies can leave people "thinking" then that means one about killing can numb someone from doing the same.

Or make them think much harder about it...

There is a very clear narrative among the establishment that media does indeed have an effect on societies behavior, if not we wouldn't be so worried about which actor plays ghingus khan.

And if we're willing to say that, then we need to admit that violence and sex in movies does the same, no?

Great points. Just think about how much money companies spend in advertising. They obviously know you can influence people pretty strongly through the media. Idk how violence would be any different. I will say that it's dumb to try and blame someone or something else for someone's violent actions tho. Could it influence them? Surely. But ultimately I think the responsibility will always fall to the individual committing the crime.

unsunghero 10-11-2022 06:44 PM

Depends on how dumb and gullible a person is. It’s possible to convince someone to do all sorts of things with any version of entertainment

“On May 31, 2014, in Waukesha, Wisconsin, United States, two 12-year-old girls, Anissa Weier and Morgan Geyser, lured their friend Payton Leutner into a forest and stabbed her 19 times in an attempt to appease the fictional character Slender Man”

Jibartik 10-11-2022 06:46 PM

Well, there's a lot more dumb and gullible people out there then there aren't :o

unsunghero 10-11-2022 06:46 PM

I could find probably hundreds of examples:

“Mark Andrew Twitchell (born July 4, 1979) is a Canadian filmmaker convicted of first-degree murder in April 2011 for the murder of John Brian Altinger.[2] His trial attracted particular media attention because Twitchell had allegedly been inspired by the fictional character Dexter Morgan”

“President Reagan was shot by a mentally unstable man harboring an unhealthy obsession with Martin Scorsese's flick Taxi Driver. John Hinckley Jr., the assailant, was particularly fixated on young star Jodie Foster, even going so far as to move to Yale University in order to stalk her. Reagan took a bullet to the lung in the incident but managed a full recovery”

loramin 10-11-2022 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jibartik (Post 3518405)
Well, there's a lot more dumb and gullible people out there then there aren't :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Carlin
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

magnetaress 10-11-2022 08:14 PM

Thread derailed.

Jimjam 10-12-2022 02:00 AM

I went shooting at my school. Was good fun.

Bardp1999 10-12-2022 02:54 AM

His name was Travis Lanning, His name was Travis Lanning, His name was Travis Lanning, His name was Travis Lanning, His name was Travis Lanning, His name was Travis Lanning,

Jimjam 10-12-2022 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bardp1999 (Post 3518553)
His name was Travis Lanning, His name was Travis Lanning, His name was Travis Lanning, His name was Travis Lanning, His name was Travis Lanning, His name was Travis Lanning,

Travis - The Man Who.

GeorgeCostanza 02-01-2023 04:42 PM

bump for me worship. very good