Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Developer Input - CPU Limit Cutoff (/forums/showthread.php?t=409935)

Korcewynd 11-01-2022 12:56 PM

Developer Input - CPU Limit Cutoff

After having recently built up a new computer I started running into the 1017 Error. Its a regular and recurring issue for people here. It effects mostly project 1999 servers. It kicks you after server select back to login.

If I reboot and in my BIOS downclock my processor I can then load into windows and get it so that I can login to Project1999. Currently I have been able to login at 4Ghz clock. 4.5 Ghz it will fail. Do the Server Admins or Developers know exactly where that cutoff is? Is it 4.111 etc.

Can this be changed or boosted?

One thought I have had (and not had time to test yet) Is to try downclocking 1 core and then setting the affinity of the eqgame to that process (right now its just set to 1)

So there is a question around that? How are you detecting CPU speed? Other servers allow you to login but the animation is all jacked even using wineq2. (obviously a problem there with the faster processors)

Do you detect the core speed? Or whatever the overall processor is reporting? If I downclock a single core and set affinity would that theoretically work or would I just end up beating my head against a brick wall.

Valrok 11-01-2022 08:17 PM

I currently have my processor (i9 12900k) working fine with P99 and the EQEmu login server selects.

When I get home I will see what it is currently running at but I have never downclocked it.

Also, are you getting booted back to login when you click on other servers as well (just for testing)?

Korcewynd 11-02-2022 03:35 PM

I only have gotten kicked back to login on p99 server (Blue) but not on any of the other 2 I tried. (I could get there names) Thats not to say that the game was playable. The ani mations were so sped up it looked like someone had hit the fast forward button.

According to this page:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-5-20-ghz.html

Your clock speed isnt over 4Ghz but the boot clock can go to 5.2Ghz... something tells me Everquest isnt causing your PC to feel like it needs to boost haha.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-7900x
The base clock is sitting at 4.7Ghz and boosting to 5.6Ghz. (again probably has nothing to do with the boost clock.)

I do have a couple of things left to play with.

- Can I downclock just a single core and set Everquest to run on that core. (we can set the affinity yes, but it wont do us any good if the server is checking clock speed at login and kicking you based on that)

- What is the highest I can push it. I just know that limit is somewhere between 4 and 4.5 right now.

Korcewynd 11-02-2022 03:36 PM

Additionally... Boost might not matter. If its simply a check when you connect.

atomos 11-14-2022 12:05 AM

See this thread for some rather interesting troubleshooting I did on the matter.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=409461

Have not done in-game testing yet to see if there are those animation issues you mentioned.

Korcewynd 12-09-2022 12:31 AM

So I did find out that running the game in a VM Workstation VM and using the setting

timetracker.apparentHz = "4000000000"

in your vmx file (sets it to 4Ghz) allows you to login to Project99. It does not actually limit the speed of your vm. (I tried to find something that did that but its only available on ESX / baremetal hypervisors.)

It is not ideal. I still get the same regular crashes switching characters that I think everyone experiences where you have to close out the client completely. I also have a new bug where some textures do not load up until you zone again. That can be annoying. Also had a couple of random freezes.

At least I dont have to gimp the new CPU speed by 1-2 Ghz just to play EQ though. Its also obvious that the server can handle the VM running at that speed. SO maybe a patch could fix this?

orangefrog 12-24-2022 03:47 AM

Needs to be fixed

If anyone plans to purchase a new computer from this point forward, you won't be able to run Project1999 anymore.

I purchased the lowest level Ryzen chip a couple of months ago, spent a week trying to get the game to run on the new PC using all sorts of tricks, processor affinities, downclocking, nothing worked. Ended up just using an old laptop while my shiny new PC sits there and collects dust until I use it to play another game or for office work.

After some reading, I think it has to do with the anti-cheat that P99 uses for speedhacking and the new processors trigger it every time. Its not a matter of whether this should be fixed--that's obvious. As time goes on and people upgrade their PC's, people simply won't be able to play the game anymore. New people trying to install the game (people's kids, friends) will most likely just give up. Hopefully a dev finds the time to dig into that mechanism and update the code with this in mind before it affects the server populations too much.

Willigetin 01-01-2023 04:26 AM

AMD Ryzen R9 7950X Makes P99 unplayable

I too am experiencing the same issues. Get passed login screen, then to server select but as soon as i select a server (Green in my case) i get booted back to login screen. This is devastating as now I can't even play at all and I just spent thousands of $$ on a new PC and already got rid of my Intel setup. I really hope this can get fixed.

Drunkennewbie 01-04-2023 11:16 PM

Has anyone found a fix to this?

Willigetin 01-05-2023 12:13 AM

I have a fix for this. My CPU is an R9 7950x my default CPU modifier is 45x100 totaling in 4.5Ghz speed base clock. I was able to make P1999 100% stable by simply booting into my bios and setting my CPU multiplier to 42x100 so now my base clock speed is 4.2ghz. I’ve had zero crashes and it ALWAYS let’s me login without a hitch whatsoever. At first I was upset because nobody buys this CPU so you can underclock it..you buy this CPU to do the exact opposite 😂..but with all that being said, I have not noticed any real world performance issues whatsoever in any other newer games at all.

I hope this helps you and others out and hopefully people read this thread because I have spent over 10 days on this and finally found a compromise I was willing to deal with.

Good luck!