Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Screenshots (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   IRC McQuaid Logs (EQ as originally intended) (/forums/showthread.php?t=423410)

Ekco 05-20-2024 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cd288 (Post 3680809)
- Races. Is this really an argument besides a couple specific races like Gnomes and Barbarians? Unless are Gnomes in D&D I can't recall. Basically all these races already existed in Tolkien and then D&D (or at the very least in D&D if not in Tolkien).

Gygax added Gnomes to DnD before it was even called DnD

Jimjam 05-20-2024 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ekco (Post 3685104)
Gygax added Gnomes to DnD before it was even called DnD

Anything beyond cleric / fighter / wizard / rogue and dwarf / elf / halfling / human is just fanon.

Ekco 05-20-2024 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 3685109)
Anything beyond cleric / fighter / wizard / rogue and dwarf / elf / halfling / human is just fanon.

Gnomes were in Chainmail 3rd edition as playable same stats as dwarves

Quote:

“I added gnomes to D&D to broaden the choices for non-human PCs, as I did in AD&D. This was done because a number of players, myself included, were tired of having so many dwarves, elves, and halflings in the group of adventurers. In my campaign a party of 12 would have three front rank halflings, a second rank of dwarves, elves in the third rank, and the fourth rank the humans…”
Quote:

Gnomes became the fifth playable race in Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition in 1978. They were originally introduced as an alternative to dwarves, elves, and halflings, and are often depicted as buffoons, illusionists, and inventors. Gnomes are usually 3–4 ft tall, weigh around 40 lbs, and have a base walking speed of 25 ft. They have superior vision in the dark, are cunning, and can speak, read, and write Common and Gnomish.