Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Tanks (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   SK Race Choice (/forums/showthread.php?t=420371)

Sizar 03-28-2024 03:03 PM

My SK is Human, no regerts. Not a single letter

Duik 03-28-2024 07:53 PM

^ Hehe

ceaselessfuture 03-28-2024 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sizar (Post 3680029)
My SK is Human, no regerts. Not a single letter

trendy racist detected

Toxigen 03-29-2024 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceaselessfuture (Post 3680085)
trendy racist detected

??????????????

ceaselessfuture 03-29-2024 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxigen (Post 3680120)
??????????????

someone's been skimming posts!

greatdane 03-30-2024 06:15 AM

In the game from which Brad McQuaid copied almost everything when he made EQ (SojournMUD, since renamed TorilMUD), shadowknights (there called anti-paladins) were only allowed to be human. As such, it is the morally correct choice. Only humans have the concept of knighthood. It's the original D&D-based canon that EQ plagiarized wholesale.

But human isn't mechanically optimal. Ogre is, unless you play SSF, and then it's troll or iksar.

Mechanically, human is shit. Canonically, it should have been the only eligible race. I went with human, but ogre is just better.

Snaggles 03-30-2024 10:37 AM

Casually geared the small races lack a lot of stamina and strength. Capping Str with just focus isn’t easy.

In the end though an aggro tank just needs hit points/ac and passable resists. Plus with p99 it’s rare to find someone with just one character so swapping to a different more optimized character is often an option.

With a knight I’d selfishly play whatever race you want. In the end, they all do the job and for raiding often aren’t the best character to bring.

DeathsSilkyMist 03-30-2024 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaggles (Post 3680231)
Casually geared the small races lack a lot of stamina and strength. Capping Str with just focus isn’t easy.

In the end though an aggro tank just needs hit points/ac and passable resists. Plus with p99 it’s rare to find someone with just one character so swapping to a different more optimized character is often an option.

With a knight I’d selfishly play whatever race you want. In the end, they all do the job and for raiding often aren’t the best character to bring.

If you have a Shaman who is giving you focus, you can get maniacal strength too. That is 135 STR from both. Lowest SK starting strength is 70, so 205 STR before gear. It's easy to get 50 STR on tank gear.

Shouldn't be an issue with buff limit either.
1. Junk
2. Junk
3. Junk
4. Junk
5. Focus of Spirit
6. Aegolism
7. Divine Strength
8. Maniacal Strength
9. Mortal Deftness
10. Haste
11. MR Buff
12. FR Buff
13. CR Buff
14. Clarity

Avatar would be better obviously, but you'd probably need a primal, since Shamans will be Avataring the Rogues.

spoil 03-30-2024 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatdane (Post 3680217)
In the game from which Brad McQuaid copied almost everything when he made EQ (SojournMUD, since renamed TorilMUD)

How did enchanters play on the mud? Mez, lull, memblur, charm, etc.

greatdane 04-03-2024 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoil (Post 3680234)
How did enchanters play on the mud? Mez, lull, memblur, charm, etc.

There was no concept of lull and memblur since a MUD doesn't really work like that, but enchanters' main function was sleep (i.e. mez), haste, charm, and casting stoneskin on tanks (or whoever) which absorbed a lot of damage, like the rune line in EQ but stronger. Same general role as in EQ, but there was no mana, spell memorization worked like in D&D, so no clarity. Basically, imagine if enchanters in EQ didn't have clarity but the rune spells were five times stronger.