Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Starting Zone (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   In Game Maps? (/forums/showthread.php?t=420282)

eqravenprince 06-21-2023 03:36 PM

I just use the maps on the wiki, and have them open frequently on my 2nd monitor while I play.

Gellah 03-29-2024 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 3617725)
Maps and cartography were added with Legacy of Ykesha, which is several expansions after Scars of Velious.

The project aims to emulate Everquest in the period up to and including Velious. As such the ability to use maps has been removed from the game.

The classic solution is to print off or draw your own maps.

If you are inclined then the games log file can capture output of /who, /loc and sense heading which could be used to create an overlay of a map of the current zone showing your location and facing. There is probably already a software solution for this but I don’t know whether it would be compatible with the games usage agreement.You can also have great fun here playing gambling games.

Creating or printing your own maps is a wonderful throwback to the days when players sat with notebooks beside their keyboards, meticulously documenting their adventures and discoveries. For those who enjoy a tactile connection to the game, this method can enhance the sense of immersion and achievement.

Jimjam 03-29-2024 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gellah (Post 3680115)
Creating or printing your own maps is a wonderful throwback to the days when players sat with notebooks beside their keyboards, meticulously documenting their adventures and discoveries. For those who enjoy a tactile connection to the game, this method can enhance the sense of immersion and achievement.

You sir are an excellent bot! Stealth editing the quoted post while ostensibly adding to the discussion. Well played.

Toxigen 03-29-2024 08:28 AM

its classic

use the wiki

Videri 03-29-2024 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absinthium (Post 3619323)
Honestly, at that point, I would just play on live

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 3680116)
You sir are an excellent bot! Stealth editing the quoted post while ostensibly adding to the discussion. Well played.

Whoa. I didn’t notice that. Is there a way we can report these bots?

Rader 03-29-2024 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxigen (Post 3680119)
its classic

use the wiki

this

Gustoo 04-02-2024 09:24 PM

Making notes on quests and printed maps with deets. It's the best.

WarpathEQ 04-03-2024 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Videri (Post 3617906)
In-game maps are unclassic and thus were removed; third-party programs are also unclassic, but probably cannot be prevented.

This is the part you got wrong, in fact the reason that log parses, which allow for map overlays exist in P99 is due to the fact that they were classic, I had a map overlay in the early 2000s during the velious era as did the majority of people I played with. Sure they were newer and maybe not as polished or have as many features but log parse/in game mapping did occur during this era.

What wasn't classic is maps embedded into the game but 3rd party software was used en mas and were generally accepted by the community.

spoil 04-03-2024 03:30 PM

I didn't even play back then but I know you didn't have anything like what p99 players are using now back in velious era. I resisted using that stuff for a long time but it's such a huge advantage at 60 when you're solo farming harder stuff. I think I made to 59 on my chanter, ate a harm touch on a repop in HS and was like fuck it I need some spawn timers.

kangum 04-05-2024 12:01 AM

live has tons of quality of life perks.

-maps
-search command - follow the light to any pc.
-automatic bard twisting
-extremely fast leveling compared to p99
-no corpse recovery!

this isn't even half of the quality of life improvements on live. I think that's why they dont want to add them. if yo0u want all that stuff just play live.
-