Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Casters (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Potential changes to the way CHA works for enchanters (/forums/showthread.php?t=391319)

pink grapefruit 09-08-2021 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tann (Post 3358860)
To be fair making it more risky to charm would raise the skill ceiling no?

Is there any proof that it's not classic on p99? "How I remember it" ain't proof, as I've been told numerous times about bard swarming.

Swarm kiting was well-documented back in the day. I also did a lot of real swarm kiting.

People who never played bard until P99 have no idea what swarm kiting actually is.

swarm kiting is NOT AE kiting lol.

Tann 09-08-2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pink grapefruit (Post 3358870)
Swarm kiting was well-documented back in the day. I also did a lot of real swarm kiting.

People who never played bard until P99 have no idea what swarm kiting actually is.

swarm kiting is NOT AE kiting lol.

I don't mean to further derail this enchanter charm thread, but..

what I meant by not working like it did on live is the pack would turn on the charmed pet once you got far enough away, some sort of leashing effect.

I used to play on a potatoe pc back in the day so my clip plane was almost at 0, so I knew once I couldn't see the pack anymore they would all turn on my charmed pet.

I almost got a wizard from Legacy of Steel killed because whilst kiting one time I got far enough from my swarm and he was sitting down close enough that they all charged at him.

No proof of course, but last I checked.. couple years ago, it still doesn't work like this here.

pink grapefruit 09-08-2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tann (Post 3358883)
I don't mean to further derail this enchanter charm thread, but..

what I meant by not working like it did on live is the pack would turn on the charmed pet once you got far enough away, some sort of leashing effect.

I used to play on a potatoe pc back in the day so my clip plane was almost at 0, so I knew once I couldn't see the pack anymore they would all turn on my charmed pet.

I almost got a wizard from Legacy of Steel killed because whilst kiting one time I got far enough from my swarm and he was sitting down close enough that they all charged at him.

No proof of course, but last I checked.. couple years ago, it still doesn't work like this here.

I thought the only reason swarm kiting didn't work was bc they couldn't code it in properly? Every old bard should remember swarming TD raptors, right?

Izmael 09-08-2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Not if charm ceases to be a viable mean of achieving things and people simply no longer bother charming. They will just achieve the same results by sleepwalking through content with more players instead of soloing or duoing.

Izmael 09-08-2021 01:07 PM

To be fair, we don't know if the CHA changes may affect charm viability. Maybe the plans are that the average charm duration will still be about the same as it was with 255 CHA or something like that.

Even then it would be an unfortunate change as it would remove complexity from P99 and make it "shallower". I like P99 to be as complex as possible with eternal debates about the roles played by stats such as CHA or AGI or whatever. It's part of what makes EQ great.

Jibartik 09-08-2021 01:09 PM

Im sure that they will be easier now with bigger mana pools.

Lull is pretty integral to my enchanter gameplay so maybe it wont change much at all, idk.

Tann 09-08-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pink grapefruit (Post 3358885)
I thought the only reason swarm kiting didn't work was bc they couldn't code it in properly? Every old bard should remember swarming TD raptors, right?

TD Aviaks was my jam.

bilirubin 09-08-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Is there any proof that it's not classic on p99? "How I remember it" ain't proof, as I've been told numerous times about bard swarming.

The argument that CHA should not affect charm duration assumes the original spell developer, Geoffrey Zatkin, gave false info when asked about this mechanic in 1999 as well as Niente, a more recent developer, in 2018.

Tann 09-08-2021 01:50 PM

Bargain bin amateur internet detective here but relevant??:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040124...60&Action=View

Samoht 09-08-2021 02:03 PM

Why would this be a nerf to charm? As it is, charm has several checks per tick for resist, cha, mr, etc. If you remove the CHA check, that's one less chance to break.

If anything, this just means less reliance on CHA end-game. Time to trade CHA gear for INT/HP.