Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Green Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Interesting high end zones (/forums/showthread.php?t=413593)

loramin 01-18-2023 04:55 PM

Druids don't just have charm, they also have root. Both let you deal with multiple mobs at once very effectively.

Mages have ... as many root nets as they could tolerate farming before they got to the bear caves (and their earth pet root, which lasts about negative five seconds on average).

It's apples and oranges.

Encroaching Death 01-18-2023 05:05 PM

Mages should be able to summon nets

Ooloo 01-18-2023 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3559075)
Druids don't just have charm, they also have root. Both let you deal with multiple mobs at once very effectively.

Mages have ... as many root nets as they could tolerate farming before they got to the bear caves (and their earth pet root, which lasts about negative five seconds on average).

It's apples and oranges.

Yeah plus druids can regen\patch heal themselves all day long when charms break early. The high level druid root (engorging) is a game changer compared to other roots too. 190 damage and 75 mana and really fast cast.. sometimes I just use it to finish mobs that are low.

Raj 01-18-2023 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encroaching Death (Post 3559082)

This would have made the most sense TBH. :cool:

I can only guess someone high up in the dev team early on/throughout our Evercrack era somehow thought that Mage pets + CC would be overpowered somehow?

strongNpretty 01-18-2023 05:19 PM

Frozen Tower

loramin 01-18-2023 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encroaching Death (Post 3559082)

Amen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raj (Post 3559096)
I can only guess someone high up in the dev team early on/throughout our Evercrack era somehow thought that Mage pets + CC would be overpowered somehow?

Trying to reason why classic was the way it was ... based purely on P99 ... can lead to false conclusions. It's like trying to wonder what Van Goh was thinking when he painted starry night ... by looking at a bad print of it on a t-shirt.

P99 is very good, but it isn't 100% classic. In classic, charmed pets (by either a Druid or an Enchanter) were far riskier, which made regular pets far better by comparison ... and of course, the Mage has the best of those. Because of that, and because live people had much worse gear on average (making all pets better by comparison), Mages weren't as bad of a class on live.

In fact, they were actually considered one of the best classes early on ... which likely resulted in their lack of root not being addressed, as well as a lack of upgrades and a prevalence of nerfs in general (at least until later expansions).

Tunabros 01-18-2023 06:13 PM

Siren's grotto temple seahorses is your answer

shit is fun as fuck on a druid

I use to sell loot rights on my green druid for the neriad shawl there

it's awesome sauce

loramin 01-18-2023 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3559109)
In classic, charmed pets (by either a Druid or an Enchanter) were far riskier, which made regular pets far better by comparison ... and of course, the Mage has the best of those.

I was just doing some classic research, and found this gem that basically said the above ... back in January 2001:

Quote:

Mages now have all the fun of having a moster pet with none of the drawbacks.(there pet waking up and trying to kill them) Please reduce post charm aggro to balance this.
And that's just one post in a 16-page thread that's full of Enchanters complaining about dying after charm breaks.

magnetaress 01-18-2023 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3559170)
I was just doing some classic research, and found this gem that basically said the above ... back in January 2001:

And that's just one post in a 16-page thread that's full of Enchanters complaining about dying after charm breaks.

First rule of enchanter club. There is no charm :p

Iumuno 01-18-2023 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3559109)
Amen.

Trying to reason why classic was the way it was ... based purely on P99 ... can lead to false conclusions. It's like trying to wonder what Van Goh was thinking when he painted starry night ... by looking at a bad print of it on a t-shirt.

P99 is very good, but it isn't 100% classic. In classic, charmed pets (by either a Druid or an Enchanter) were far riskier, which made regular pets far better by comparison ... and of course, the Mage has the best of those. Because of that, and because live people had much worse gear on average (making all pets better by comparison), Mages weren't as bad of a class on live.

In fact, they were actually considered one of the best classes early on ... which likely resulted in their lack of root not being addressed, as well as a lack of upgrades and a prevalence of nerfs in general (at least until later expansions).

Well even back then their one compelling advantage, single target dps, was starting to seriously erode in the mid 50s. There were just too many classes in EQ. Magicians and wizards would have been better off merged into one, offsetting both classes glaring weaknesses.