PDA

View Full Version : Some quick '99 style necro/pet questions

Porphyro
11-19-2009, 02:50 AM
Back when I started in 99, pets used to take a group member's worth of XP if they did more than 50% of the damage to a mob. This was true solo, and of course in groups:

I was just informed by Scott Hartsman that I made a mistake about the pet experience thing. Pets only take experience from a group if they outdamage the entire group. If they do, then they gain a share as if they were a group member. If they do not, they take no experience at all.

This is how it's been working the whole time, and it makes a lot more sense. I'm sorry for the mistake.

Absor

This was changed (around late 2002, if I recall correctly) so that a player/group only had to do 1 point of damage to a mob to claim full XP, and prevent the pet taking it's share.

So, the question is: how is this working on the p1999 server? Earlier model, or later patch? Tried to do some data collection myself, but it's tough to be conclusive without confirmation from a dev.

Also, I remember a 1999 patch was put in place that limited the amount of damage that a DoT could do if the mob was moving (and not feared):

SEPTEMBER 13, 1999

DoT Changes:

If the monster is in melee with you, there is no change to how a DoT spell works.
If the monster is running away from you (fear, wounded, etc.), there is no change to how a DoT spell works.
If the monster is moving when the damage from the DoT is applied (happens every few seconds), it will take 66% of the damage that it would have taken.
DoT spells have all had their duration slightly increased. If the monster moves for 18 seconds during a fight, it will take as much damage from the DoT as it would before the patch. If the monster moves for less then 18 seconds during a fight, your DoT will do more damage then it would have done before the patch. If the monster moves more then 18 seconds during the fight, it will take less damage then it would have before the patch.

This 'damage when moving' penalty was also removed, sometime before the release of Planes of Power. How is this implemented on this server?

Finally - we used to give our pets fine steel daggers, and they'd become shredding machines. Pets took the delay from the weapon, but not the damage. Is this possible on p1999 (dual wield issue notwithstanding)?

Just curious about these points, as they were fairly significant factors in what it was to be a necro back then.

Cheers for any input =)

Norther
07-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Bump. I would like to know the answer to this question:

So, the question is: how is this working on the p1999 server? Earlier model, or later patch?

godbox
07-01-2012, 08:10 PM
not a p99 tech person but i frequently duo with necros or enchs in CoM where they charm GWB skels and I buff heal the pet which we then just let loose through the mobs. exp moves along pretty nicely and the necs/ench swear up and down that the exp penalty does not occur if grouped.

Norther
07-01-2012, 08:45 PM
But what about for soloing?

bamzal
07-01-2012, 08:51 PM
dont expect a truly classic experience thats all ican say

emp82
07-01-2012, 09:01 PM
But what about for soloing?

Currently for soloing if your pet does more than 50% of the damage it absorbs 75% of the xp.

godbox
07-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Currently for soloing if your pet does more than 50% of the damage it absorbs 75% of the xp.

x (class penaly) x (racial penalty)

so ikky necro gets it hard at first before they can outdmg pets

Xen
07-02-2012, 05:09 PM
x (class penaly) x (racial penalty)

so ikky necro gets it hard at first before they can outdmg pets

HOWEVER if you are in a group, there is no penalty for the pet doing over 50% of the damage

Norther
07-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Ahhh, thanks a lot guys. Answered my question.

bamzal
07-02-2012, 11:05 PM
dont expect a truly classic experience thats all ican say

Nagash
07-03-2012, 04:40 PM
So, the question is: how is this working on the p1999 server? Earlier model, or later patch? Tried to do some data collection myself, but it's tough to be conclusive without confirmation from a dev.

If your pet does more damage than the rest of the group (you + the other players + their pets), it eats 50% of the xp, otherwise nothing. For obvious reasons, you only need to make this calculation based on the pet that has done the most damage.

Also, I remember a 1999 patch was put in place that limited the amount of damage that a DoT could do if the mob was moving (and not feared):

This 'damage when moving' penalty was also removed, sometime before the release of Planes of Power. How is this implemented on this server?

If a mob is moving and is not feared, it takes 66% dmg from the DoTs. Fear it or root it and it takes full damage. This penalty was lifted some time early Velious IIRC.

Finally - we used to give our pets fine steel daggers, and they'd become shredding machines. Pets took the delay from the weapon, but not the damage. Is this possible on p1999 (dual wield issue notwithstanding)?

This only work some time after realease on Live and was stopped before Kunark days IIRC. On our server, giving weapons to a pet can only serve two purposes:
- Make the pet dual wield if the pet is at this (narrow) level range where he can dual wield but beeds weapons (max level 24 pet and all level 29 pets for necro IIRC)
- Give him an extra proc (2 sword of runes (mag 29 spell), for example).
Maybe there are some other use but I've obviously missed them :)

Cheers for any input =)
You are most welcome.

Nagash