PDA

View Full Version : Spells: Detrimental Spell Worn off messages

Striiker
06-14-2010, 08:44 PM
This was removed a few patches ago along with all other "spell worn off" messages. I believe this was unintentional (the target being to remove it from when a mob died) as we used to have messages indicating when a detrimental spell wore off back in the day. I remembered reading that this would be corrected and that spell wore off messages would once again be in game. Is there an time estimate on this? Is it on the list still? Thank you for all of your work!

Sidious
06-24-2010, 04:40 AM
Any updates here? Very frustrating with the super short pet buffs.

Nocte
06-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Agreed.

Striiker
06-29-2010, 02:58 AM
Are there plans to fix this issue? It was openly acknowledged as something which was broken during a patch. There was a request for supporting evidence of what should be left in and I believe that this was provided. If the complexity is around leaving the wore off messages in but not for when a mob dies, can you please put back in the wore off messages (roll back this portion of the change in the patch) until a solution is found around removing the wore off messages when a mob dies? Please see the following thread... I also included several quotes from developers to help the point. This is quite important to many classes in the game. While I love a challenge, this doesn't add to the enjoyment since in the back of one's mind, it is known that this is broken.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7080

Some worn off messages are classic. In particular, DoTs, roots, and snares always gave a worn off message. What isn't classic are buffs giving a worn off message. That was added in the patch on May 11, 2005.

It looks like Haynar was ONLY trying to remove the spurious Wore Off messages which were showing up when a mob died which had spell effects on it..
The part I had worked on, now correct me if I am wrong, were the worn off messages that occur on death of a client or mob.

I do not remember getting any worn off messages when a mob died. That would have been a nightmare for debuffs on multiple mobs when I was playing my shammy, trying to figure out which slow just wore off.

Haynar

As always, we sometimes do go overboard, with what we intended. If we knocked out too many messages, we can always add them back to be consistent with classic.

Due to the complexity in some of the code, there can be many different paths which fire off a message. Or cancel a bard song, for that matter. I hate to say it, but you guys are sometimes our beta testers for patches. With our limited resources, it is often difficult for us to do regression testing for every change.

Please continue to provide feedback, and we will strive to always make the server better.

Haynar

Aug 2000 isn't when they added that you could change the color of text for buffs dropping, it's when they DOCUMENTED it. The feature was always there.
Enchanters had to time mezzes in their head or with an egg-timer so they could remez BEFORE it wore off, not because there wasn't a message when it did.

There were definitely wore-off messages for mez, root and other detrimental effects from day one. There were *not* wore off messages for buffs and other beneficial spells.

Smuuglie
06-29-2010, 03:37 AM
I hope thre is :(

Haynar
06-29-2010, 11:11 PM
I have been thinking about this.

Yes, there should be detrimental worn off messages. They shouldn't occur on death.

I will try to come up with some sort of compromise on this.

Haynar

guineapig
06-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Yay!

Striiker
06-30-2010, 10:37 AM
I have been thinking about this.

Yes, there should be detrimental worn off messages. They shouldn't occur on death.

I will try to come up with some sort of compromise on this.

Haynar

Can we get the change which broke the wore off messages rolled back in the interim. The only detriment is that the wore off messages will show upon the death of mobs. This is less damaging than having no wore off messages at all. Everyone would be very happy with this. :)
Thank you for your efforts!

Ropethunder
06-30-2010, 04:35 PM
It's kind of scary for enchanters when you have no idea if the root has worn off on the mob your charmed pet is on.

AR3151
06-30-2010, 04:55 PM
i myself like the messages.

Striiker
07-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Bump back into the light..
I'd like to ask that all "wore off" messages be put back in while a solution is being worked upon for the wore off messages which show up after a mob dies. This would be a roll back of the change which went in a while ago to remove the wore off messages. It has a significant negative effect upon the game for castes and from my personal experience, for enchanters in particular (charm, Mez and roots dropping).
Thank you for your hard work once again.

guineapig
07-25-2010, 02:46 AM
I have to agree with the above statements. It would be better to put these messages back in temporarily until a fix can be found. Seeing these messages upon death is really not a big deal to deal with in the mean time.

Striiker
08-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Bumping. I wanted to wait until the latest patch in case this was going in. Can we please get the "wore off" messages put back in as they were prior to being removed? The removal of all wore off messages was an admitted mistake. Having excessive "wore off" messages is preferable to what incorrectly exists now (which is none).
Thank you.

RKromwell
08-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Agree, I hate not seeing when Snare or root has worn off. Makes me over cast.

Haynar
08-18-2010, 12:36 AM
What were the worn off messages like in classic?

I know they weren't yellow.

I know you didn't get worn off messages on buffs.

I was thinking dots didn't either, but I cannot remember that for sure. Maybe dot damage didnt tick. And all you got was worn off message. I cannot remember what was weird about dots and dot damage. There was something. I know others did not see your dot damage.

So feed me some info, on what they should be like. Proof is better, but I can take my best guess if needed.

Then maybe I can get some changes implemented.

Haynar

RKromwell
08-18-2010, 02:04 AM
Well...if I remember right. It depended on the spell.

For Snare, it would say a Gnoll Watcher is no longer ensnared.
Flame lick would be something like, The flames fade away...I can't remember the message.

As for buffs, I get the messages that they wear off now for anything I cast on myself. Like the Skin line of spells that rangers get.

Your skin returns to normal.

Or Feet Like Cat

Your agility fades away

mmiles8
08-18-2010, 02:19 AM
Classic to Mid Kunark: It didn't even say what spell you were casting when you cast it.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/mmiles01/EQ000000-1.jpg

Mid-Kunark: You got to see what spell you were casting when you cast it

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/mmiles01/EQ200005.jpg

Classic through not sure when (Wednesday, Feb 20, 2002): You didn't see anything at all, not even Direct Damage amounts on a player.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/mmiles01/EQ000118.jpg

Early to Mid-Luclin (Thursday, March 21, 2002): No spell worn off messages (this was between a fear refresh)

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/mmiles01/EQ000122.jpg

Mid to Late Luclin (Sunday, September 29, 2002): Spell worn off messages.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/mmiles01/EQ000152.jpg

Early PoP (Friday, May 2, 2003): Still no dot damage ticks (Oh, and just noticed, still no petbuff worn off messages, that aoe was a dispel and I was recasting the pet's haste)

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/mmiles01/EQ000188.jpg

XeldiablosX
08-18-2010, 02:52 AM
Problem is i clearly remember dot tick dmg during kunark as well as the removal of detrimental effects, i wish i had saved those SS's i had way back when but i don't. I will dig around to see what i can scrap up because I am almost positive they was in place during kunark although it may have been later on around right before velious opened up.

Striiker
08-18-2010, 09:08 AM
While you sort out how the messages should look and what messages should show up etc. Can you roll back the change which removed all of the "spell wore off" messages? It would be preferable to have some extra messages in the interim than none as presently exists. The extra messages make a few things slightly easier I agree (knowing when beneficial buff fades) but having no messages makes things needlessly much more difficult. Also, I don't think having the messages of worn off spells show up upon the death of something as being that big of an issue (while this is being worked on) as it neither helps nor hinders game play.

Remfin
08-18-2010, 01:00 PM
I don't know squat about dots and such, but there were certainly some spell worn off messages in classic. I definitely remember "Your Bonds of Force has worn off." messages and I never memmed that spell again the day after Kunark came out (Atol's just outright replaced it, period).

Tallenn
08-18-2010, 02:14 PM
I distinctly remember "Your snare spell has worn off" messages in classic. It did not specify who it wore off of, so if you had more than one thing snared, it wasn't a lot of help.

As far as DoTs though, I'm not sure.

guineapig
08-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Problem is i clearly remember dot tick dmg during kunark as well as the removal of detrimental effects,

Agreed, that must have been filtered out in the images.

They were definitely in during PoP but could be filtered out. In fact everything could be filtered 20 different ways by the time PoP was out so screen-shots around this time are sadly not very helpful, not even when it comes to seeing what color the text is.

I'm not sure when all the customization was added to the UI (filtering, color changing, abbreviating, etc).
If somebody does know however, then we should only use screen-shots from before that date as evidence.

Remfin
08-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Filtering and color changing* was in classic, although I dunno if they were in the UI, they were in and working in the .ini. SERVER-side filtering was early Velious. There was at least one abbreviation mode by late Kunark, but the whole separate window thing with multiple options was /hitsmode which was during Luclin.

*I don't think messages were as subdivided into categories though. Like the equivalent of "Other's Hits" was for PC, NPCs, and pets all rolled together.

Itchybottom
08-18-2010, 03:21 PM
The missing worn off messages were probably due to misconfiguration of Hitsmode and the various window type changes they went through pre UIFiles

mmiles8
08-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Agreed, that must have been filtered out in the images.

They were definitely in during PoP but could be filtered out. In fact everything could be filtered 20 different ways by the time PoP was out so screen-shots around this time are sadly not very helpful, not even when it comes to seeing what color the text is.

I'm not sure when all the customization was added to the UI (filtering, color changing, abbreviating, etc).
If somebody does know however, then we should only use screen-shots from before that date as evidence.

That would make sense. Actually I'm fairly certain you're right because I remember getting all hot and bothered over seeing Funeral Pyre's ticks.

As for the rest, I really don't remember if there was anything special turned off. I know in kunark and velious I didn't see my dot ticks while chant kiting on my bard. But the rest are the only milestones I can find in over 400 screenshots spanning 4 years, and finding something like spell worn off messages in one is a needle in a haystack.

Haynar
08-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Having for detrimental spells, it say .... "Your %s spell has worn off." Is definitely doable.

So the question is dots. I think it was others were able to see your damage sometime around PoP or so. It was the crits that really got people going.

So I will probably go with being able to see your own dot damage. And a generic detrimental spell worn off message that goes to the person who cast the spell. And if your spell is overwritten, by someone elses spell, then you also get a worn off message.

Haynar

Sidious
08-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Necro perspective here: I distinctly remember messages for dots, fear, root, screaming terror etc wearing off your hostile targets AND messages for buffs ending on your pet. Same message text, yellow I believe just like periodic dmg is now, it would tell me when my haste wore off a pet, fairly certain that if someone cast say resolution on the pet, I would be informed when that fell too.

I remember a period during kunark, perhaps 2-3 months in where SoE borked the detrimental worn off messages where a mob dying would give you the message that everything you had on it had expired. It was fixed back shortly after to only give these messages while the target was alive.

Striiker
08-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Having for detrimental spells, it say .... "Your %s spell has worn off." Is definitely doable.

So the question is dots. I think it was others were able to see your damage sometime around PoP or so. It was the crits that really got people going.

So I will probably go with being able to see your own dot damage. And a generic detrimental spell worn off message that goes to the person who cast the spell. And if your spell is overwritten, by someone elses spell, then you also get a worn off message.

Haynar

Thank you Haynar! I believe you have correctly identified the messages which were present. I know that detrimental spells wearing off or being overwritten were displayed. Also, I recall that DOT damage ticks were also listed. The messages should go to the person who cast the spell in question. Regarding having others see DOT damage, I agree that this was added later.

ElanoraBryght
08-24-2010, 09:12 AM
WOOOHOOOO~!!
Just logged in after patch and on first mobs of the day got "Your *spellname* spell has worn off." message

/bow - thank you! :)

guineapig
08-24-2010, 10:41 AM
/applaud

Thanks Haynar!!

Much respect!

Sinder
08-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Glad to see this going through. Missing a tick to count while a darkness snare/dot was on your kite really sucked when it wore off!

Striiker
08-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Thank you Haynar. I felt badly harping on about this over the past many weeks however I did consider it to be an important missing piece from the game. I know that anyone who casts spells will be very appreciative of the time which you took to correct this.

As always, we all (the non-vocal majority) appreciate the time and effort which you all take to provide us with a great gaming environment.

Claustaler E.
08-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Hi All,

Worn Off Msg works :) but u cant give it a new color or filter it into another window :)

Qaedain
08-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Thank you, Haynar, for pushing this change through. This is amazingly useful. <3