PDA

View Full Version : New Player trying Pally

N2Wild
02-10-2013, 11:32 PM
So I'm relatively new to the game. Friend got me hooked on it a couple weeks ago and I started a paladin for fun as my first ever character. I'm currently only level 23 and have bronze armor with tattered mantle for shoulders and a mountain death belt. A friend gave me a baton of faith as a weapon and have been using it. My jewelry include silver banded ring, jagged band, and brass earrings. My question is: as a new player with about 200 plat in bank now and currently leveling in Unrest, what should I be saving up for? Obviously armor upgrades would be nice as I have a pretty good weapon right now, but what would be a "short list" of things I should save up for over the next couple levels? Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers! :)

SamwiseRed
02-11-2013, 12:36 AM
55hp rings will be best bang for buck.

Funkutron5000
02-11-2013, 01:28 PM
If you can get your hands on some sands of ro I can make you a bp of ro. Send me a pm if you get a hold of some and I'll be happy to help.

ramul
02-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Sands of Ro are often sold from gypsy vendors in Oasis, I've found them there multiple times. Get yourself that free BP of Ro!

Funkutron5000
02-11-2013, 10:42 PM
I also have a mold for the gaunts ( i think it's gaunts.. not sure) but I only have one piece of melatite in the bank. So, if you can get me 2 sands and a melatite, well, there you go!

BurnMage
02-13-2013, 12:44 PM
I rolled out a paladin alt to fool around with, but my main is only 29enc so I don't have a huge bankroll. I don't suppose someone has a shortlist of cheap weapons to buy? If I had about 200p to spend what weapons do I want? For example, do I want 1 good 1h for tanking for 80 and 1 good 2hb for soloing, then just train the rest of my skills with fine steel?

Draco519
02-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Paladins don't solo. Period. I played a paldin to 60 on live and have gotten to 57 here. Pure simple fact of the matter is if you don't have on about 400k worth of gear if not more You will not solo. Paladins don't have the DPS to solo. However, if you want to be a beast in a group and be very handy to have around and be able to wreck caster/undead mobs? Paladin is the way to go. A good paladin can make a group win a fight in ways that they'd fail with a warrior/SK. Sorry min/maxers. It's the way it is.

As far as cheap weapons go? A decent one (not the best) is a green jade broadsword or a sword of skyfire (before procs, when it starts proccing get rid of it) However, if you can get your hands on 800-1k get a sword of the mourning. The ro armor is excellent and fun to quest at the lower levels, I do suggest looking that up.

In game i'm Castyel or Triumphant. I love seeing Paladins on the server because there just arent' enough of them. People talk so much crap but they don't realize the pain paladins bring come Velious ;) Get with me i'll be glad to answer any questions anybody has.

Lorraine
02-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Paladins don't solo. Period. I played a paldin to 60 on live and have gotten to 57 here. Pure simple fact of the matter is if you don't have on about 400k worth of gear if not more You will not solo. Paladins don't have the DPS to solo. However, if you want to be a beast in a group and be very handy to have around and be able to wreck caster/undead mobs? Paladin is the way to go. A good paladin can make a group win a fight in ways that they'd fail with a warrior/SK. Sorry min/maxers. It's the way it is.

As far as cheap weapons go? A decent one (not the best) is a green jade broadsword or a sword of skyfire (before procs, when it starts proccing get rid of it) However, if you can get your hands on 800-1k get a sword of the mourning. The ro armor is excellent and fun to quest at the lower levels, I do suggest looking that up.

In game i'm Castyel or Triumphant. I love seeing Paladins on the server because there just arent' enough of them. People talk so much crap but they don't realize the pain paladins bring come Velious ;) Get with me i'll be glad to answer any questions anybody has.

Actually that is not exactly true. Paladins are fully capable of decent solo exp (and in some level ranges VERY good solo exp) as long as you know what/where and how to do it. It just takes patience (and later on, a Deepwater Helm, though the nerfed version will test your nerves).
Our class is more suited for group encounters though, where we will outperform warriors by a good margin (but then again so do shadowknights, they just simply bring a different area of skills compared to paladins).
In a server with not a lot of paladins, gear comes relatively cheap, and while it does matter what you have, you don't "need" to be in the 400k margin whatsoever. For example, if you have 1k to spend on a SotM, you'll gain a lot more if you purchase a Ghoulbane and a Baton of Faith.

falkun
02-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Since you have the BoF and bronze, 5/55 rings should be your next purchase. After that, start picking up Ro or Deepwater armor.

cs616
02-27-2013, 04:27 PM
+1 to the 5/55 platinum fire wedding rings. They're a great value. Also look out for the RO armor. I remember a few pieces of that being really nice. I think the boots have a good amount of HP on them. When you have some extra money getting a ghoulbane might enable you to do some effective soloing versus undead, but since you already have a BoF I'd put that on the back burner until you round out the ret of your gear.

While you might not be the best soloer as other people have mentioned, being a hybrid opens you up to a lot of non-traditional group configurations. Don't be like some players and always look for the perfect group dynamic. As a hybrid you're a pretty versitile class and you can really adapt your play style to meet the needs of the group. If you're having trouble finding groups look for players around your level and location and partner up. Most of the groups I got leveling up as a hybrid started as duos or trios.

Anyway, welcome to the game and server! Despite what you might read on the forums, I think you'll find most players on the server a friendly and more than willing to help out a new player.

Funkutron5000
03-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Actually that is not exactly true. Paladins are fully capable of decent solo exp (and in some level ranges VERY good solo exp) as long as you know what/where and how to do it. It just takes patience (and later on, a Deepwater Helm, though the nerfed version will test your nerves).
Our class is more suited for group encounters though, where we will outperform warriors by a good margin (but then again so do shadowknights, they just simply bring a different area of skills compared to paladins).
In a server with not a lot of paladins, gear comes relatively cheap, and while it does matter what you have, you don't "need" to be in the 400k margin whatsoever. For example, if you have 1k to spend on a SotM, you'll gain a lot more if you purchase a Ghoulbane and a Baton of Faith.

You definitely know what you're talking about. With a deepwater helm and root pretty much any non-casting mob is soloable by a paladin, no matter how long the fight takes. It's not always the fastest xp, but it definitely keeps you moving forward.

I would have loved to combo a DW helm with a mana stone. Medding is the one thing that really slows down a paladin's soloing career. But, even without much good gear a paly can solo well. Look at the undead frogs at the lguk zone in (especially if you're not kos to the live ones). I was able to solo there without anything approaching respectable gear as my paladin was my main and I didn't get any real solid gear until my planar armor (except for a few random pieces of Ro armor).

Danth
03-06-2013, 03:19 AM
Note that just because you *can* solo something doesn't mean you're going to want to. Paladin damage output doesn't keep up with monster hit point scaling past the low to mid 40's. By the early 50's it'll take a Paladin so long to kill something by himself that I no longer rate it as a particularly useful means of gaining experience.

For most of the leveling process I consider the Paladin a superior tank relative to both the Warrior and Shadow Knight. The Paladin can control a situation and protect his group in ways those other classes cannot.

The Paladin's primary weakness is that the class stagnates at 50+ and goes into decline at very high levels. The offensive spells (undead nukes) don't scale well enough to be particularly valuable at 60. The lull spell line becomes increasingly hazardous as monster magic resistance increases and doesn't work on 55+ monsters. Stuns don't work on most important targets either (giants, dragons, anything 55+). The Paladin is my favorite class in EQ, but it's not a class I've any interest in taking to 60 during this game era.

I advise skipping the Armor of Ro except possibly for the chest and legs since those slots are hard for a Paladin to fill. Due to how P1999 models armor, you need to stack a lot of AC before you notice good effect from it. Deepwater armor is perfect for that. I recommend aiming for a minimum of 200 worn AC by level 50 and 250 worn AC by level 60. If you can scrounge up more than those minimums, so much the better.

Danth

Alanus
03-08-2013, 04:21 PM
If you have pally questions, feel free to message me in game. I played pally on live up til DoN. Pally are a fun and powerful class. Heck, they can even CC via root since they can take hits pretty well

carthorn
03-29-2013, 10:30 AM
I remember, at least back in the day, running into a Fear at a low levels as a paladin and SK, and waiting for extra paladin/sk gear to drop that no one needed when a raid was going on.

Just be prepared to die a lot, and don't expect anyone to help you, especially if you pull aggro and definitely don't train anyone lol.

Also, to what Danth has said, I played pally on live up to 58 and it was a chore to level him up even though he was my favorite. However, I hear during Velious paladins got a significant buff and if you play EQ now, they are very desired and can solo undead mobs pretty well.

But on P1999, its a long long road, and I wish you the best. At least you will probably get most of the Pally only items on raids :)

Tecmos Deception
03-29-2013, 12:23 PM
So what all exactly improves for paladins in Velious?

1. Hybrid penalty goes away
2. New spells (group heal, hp buff, damage+threat spell)
3. A couple disciplines
4. Higher skillcaps?
5. Better melee table?

It sounds like a lot of stuff I guess, but do paladins really become much more powerful? #1 is a big deal, but it's really just a quality-of-life thing, not a "buff," especially since it isn't retroactive. The spells and disciplines seem like situational gimmicks more than anything else, thanks to their long cooldowns and/or mediocre effects. Do #4 and #5 happen? Are they really very significant?

Danth
03-29-2013, 02:19 PM

Your list looks good. You can also add "improved itemization" to it since Paladin itemization is pretty poor during Kunark. In general the Velious improvements aren't going to make the Paladin into a truly strong class. That didn't come until later. Instead the changes reduce the gap and make life better for the folks who already play the Paladin. Power gamers and min-maxers are still best advised to skip this class entirely.

Danth

webrunner5
10-25-2013, 06:03 AM
None of the Hybrids got much better till AA's came out. And that ain't happening on here so.

susvain0362
10-25-2013, 12:09 PM
to the OP;

use flash of light for tanking. once you are on the mobs aggro list and you cast flash of light it will never run from you. you may have had mobs run randomly from it before, but it will never happen if attack it once/shoot it with a bow. when you're tanking in a group and have the mob on you just cast flash of light 2-3 times on it and you will pretty much be the best tank around.

DrKvothe
10-26-2013, 01:50 AM
Old thread is old.

Arteker
10-27-2013, 05:37 PM

1. Hybrid penalty goes away
2. New spells (group heal, hp buff, damage+threat spell)
3. A couple disciplines
4. Higher skillcaps?
5. Better melee table?

It sounds like a lot of stuff I guess, but do paladins really become much more powerful? #1 is a big deal, but it's really just a quality-of-life thing, not a "buff," especially since it isn't retroactive. The spells and disciplines seem like situational gimmicks more than anything else, thanks to their long cooldowns and/or mediocre effects. Do #4 and #5 happen? Are they really very significant?

namely a massive boost in hps, paladin itemization in kunark is way worse than sk , main adventage of sk is their starting races basic stats.

velious gear negate that.

add a serius upgrade of hps ac and a hugue and i mean a massive manapool make paladin a very evry efective patcher though character.

will not excell at any task but his durability rises alot.

im not talking about kael pure mele mobs no im talking when u figth those pesky places tov and sleeper where the aoes will ravage casters and in general other dps.

kaev
10-27-2013, 09:30 PM
What Arteker said. Yeah, the Paladin discs are gimmicks, and the spells are ok but not all that special, but the gear upgrades for raiding Paladins are truly massive.

Arteker
10-28-2013, 01:23 PM
as paladin i have tanked and survived to all the bosses in kunark (including vp) but not to the pure mele dps from sky such bee queen .

as paladin u can tank few bosses in velious , Yes u can tank some as KT with high end gear and wurms drakes in general in armour drop spot and pog .

But where u excell if know how to play the class is a support healer , oh sure this server have a mega zillon of shamans wich didint happen in velious), but u still can Heal better than a druid and still put ur grain of salt by adding some dmg to the mobs .

once the 2hand patch comes lives and the upgrade in 2hander become efective soemthing idk will happen in p99 being accurate u can even outdps wizards in long run figths .

this is a proven fact than velious evolution helps alot to meles and specialy the ranger and paladin class.

while the ski pulling power get reduced alot due to the lost of the massive utility of cos pulling and the fact most mobs will be nearly inmune to his lifetaps wich will make a sk rely in outsider heals.
paladins and rangers dont have such a trouble.

Itap
10-28-2013, 01:34 PM
wut