PDA

View Full Version : Can we not use gimmicky names, please?

foxdragoon
11-18-2009, 01:16 AM
I remember in EQ classic that character names were strictly monitored, and had to meet certain conditions. Your character names couldn't be a phrase, or a reference to a real person or thing, among some of the strict rules. Now I know this server is a bit more relaxed, but the EQ classic feel is partly gone when I see people named: Georgebush, Rocketdude, Sushi Burger, etc. These are not actual player names, just examples so as not to embarass anyone, but you get the idea.

Its more of a mild annoyance than a real problem, but it takes you out of the world, and into a game, when you notice it.

foxdragoon
11-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Character names in EverQuest should reflect the genre of the game. Original, high-fantasy names are desired. These guidelines apply both to first names and to surnames, and also to the combination of first name and surname.

The following types of names are inappropriate:.

Vile, profane, rude, or racist names including common swear words, anatomical references, racial slurs, and homonyms of these words.
Combinations of words that produce an offensive result (e.g. Hugeaz, Tug Mcgroin).
Names of religious, occult, or significant historic origin (e.g. Jesus, Allah, Satan, Stalin, Angel, Devil, Demon).
Trademarked names of products, services, or concepts (e.g. , Marlboro, Sony, Band-Aid).
Non-fantasy oriented names from popular media. These names can be either fictional (e.g. Rambo, Darthvader) or non-fictional (e.g. Garth Brooks, Pierce Brosnan, Ronald Reagan, Michael Jordan).
Common words and phrases that would not be found in the place and time setting of the game (e.g. Switchblade, Phaser, Toaster, Sloegin, Anyone). This includes references to drug substances or drug related paraphernalia. (e.g. Ecstacy, Cannibis)
Proper names from EverQuest (e.g. Rathe, Karana). This also includes the first or last name of any significant EverQuest NPC (e.g. Dorn, Trumpy, Karn).
Names chosen with the intent or possessed with the effect of harming the reputation of or used to impersonate a Customer or representative of Sony Online Entertainment.
Names containing titles within them, such as, but not limited to: The, Lord, Lady, Master, King, Knight, Sir, Father (e.g. Sirtallon, Lordeagle, Mothermaggy, Darksister).
Fantasy-oriented names that are easily recognized from popular existing media (e.g. Merlin, Gandalf, Belgarath, Drizzt, Tanis).
Names where the combination of the first and last name violate a previous rule.
For all of the above, misspellings and alternative spellings of the word or words are also unacceptable.

If a name is found to be in violation of any of the above polices, a member of the Customer Service Team will then use the following process:

For category 1 or 2 offenses, a member of the Customer Service Team will change the name of the character as soon as it is discovered. You may be notified of this name change either in-game or by email. Depending on the nature of the offensive name, the account may also be subject to disciplinary action including suspension or banning. A GM will contact you to inform you if disciplinary action is taken.
For categories 3 through 11, the member of the Customer Service Team will contact you either in game or via email to notify you of the character's name change. After your name is changed, any corpses currently in the world will no longer be accessible. Please inform a Customer Service Team member if you have a current corpse prior to the name change.

Durden
11-18-2009, 03:31 AM
Vile, profane, rude, or racist names including common swear words, anatomical references, racial slurs, and homonyms of these words. Combinations of words that produce an offensive result (e.g. Hugeaz, Tug Mcgroin). Names of religious, occult, or significant historic origin (e.g. Jesus, Allah, Satan, Stalin, Angel, Devil, Demon).

Understandable, someone who joins this server shouldn't be subject to reading "Phuck Yoo"" and "Devil Worshipper" when they're grouping in Guk.

Non-fantasy oriented names from popular media. These names can be either fictional (e.g. Rambo, Darthvader) or non-fictional (e.g. Garth Brooks, Pierce Brosnan, Ronald Reagan, Michael Jordan).

This is a bit ridiculous, though. I understand Sony wanted to create immersion in EQ when it launched, but this is an Emu server. If someone wants to name their human rogue "James Bond," or their gnome warrior "Napoleon Bonaparte," is it going to ruin your experience, or just make you laugh at their creativity?

Not that I'm biased, or anything, heh.

Pheer
11-18-2009, 03:48 AM
Its more of a mild annoyance than a real problem, but it takes you out of the world, and into a game, when you notice it.

maybe because youre playing a game

"because it ruins my roleplay fantasies/immersion" isnt a good reason to force people to name change in my opinion

Bubbles
11-18-2009, 08:06 AM
"because it ruins my roleplay fantasies/immersion" isnt a good reason to force people to name change in my opinion

Agreed.

foxdragoon
11-18-2009, 09:22 AM
maybe because youre playing a game

Of course its a game. Perhaps you missed the wider point that what made EQ so great was that it felt like you were in another world, and not just a game, something that WoW and other MMORPGs haven't been able to capture. Part of this was the strict content control created by the original developers, and part of that was in having quality control on the name creation process. Not a lot of people liked the naming policies, just like not a lot of people liked to travel for hours from one end to the other, or the harsh xp penalties. But the EQ developers didn't care about whether you were happy with any of those things, it was their world and you were in it.

Also, it is somewhat uncharitable for you to phrase my point as one about my own immersion. I simply provided my own view as to why the policies served some good, but that is not necessarily relevant. The real crux of my point is that since this is a server that wants to provide a similar experience to the classic game, then it should adhere to the original policies of the game - which is as important as any other mechanic of the game.

At any rate, I am suggesting that if people want to play in a server that closely emulates classic EQ, part of that is adhering to the naming policies. This is something that at this point in time hasn't been enforced in this server, and it would simply be up to the players themselves to adhere to.

Neno
11-18-2009, 10:06 AM
People had those kind of names on classic all the time. I think one of my favorite was Bloodsoaked Virginslayer

foxdragoon
11-18-2009, 10:16 AM
No one is disputing there weren't.

Bubbles
11-18-2009, 10:25 AM
At any rate, I am suggesting that if people want to play in a server that closely emulates classic EQ, part of that is adhering to the naming policies. This is something that at this point in time hasn't been enforced in this server, and it would simply be up to the players themselves to adhere to.

Players don't adhere to anything, and lets face it, the player base hasn't exactly been a shining model of self-policing from day one.

No one wants to be the bad guy.

magic
11-18-2009, 11:54 AM
I remember in EQ classic that character names were strictly monitored, and had to meet certain conditions. Your character names couldn't be a phrase, or a reference to a real person or thing, among some of the strict rules. Now I know this server is a bit more relaxed, but the EQ classic feel is partly gone when I see people named: Georgebush, Rocketdude, Sushi Burger, etc. These are not actual player names, just examples so as not to embarass anyone, but you get the idea.

This isn't fucking called "Project 1999 - RP PvE server"

Jify
11-18-2009, 12:20 PM

Thoust doth have a valid point. Magic, thee slayer of thine enemy, ferocious dwarves of Butcherblock, has reacheth the highest of intelligence caps. His logic is sound, and I must concur with him.

Let us both hail the ultimate class. Magician Power! *high five*

Bigcountry23
11-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Forsooth!

Jify
11-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Forsooth!

QFT

messiah_b
11-18-2009, 12:44 PM
*puts on wizard hat*

Jify
11-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh, I like to play dress up.

Cameroncr88
11-18-2009, 02:40 PM
I agree I do remember them being very strict on naming on EQ Classic.

Kazzdel
11-18-2009, 04:11 PM
So not only do you want classic gameplay, but you want the classic customer service experience?

Is this a road we really want to go down?

Somekid123
11-18-2009, 04:52 PM
I agree, its annoying seeing people run around named Culo, Georgebush, Obama, etc. or lower cased.

Can we maybe get a vote going, like we had on boxing?

karsten
11-18-2009, 05:04 PM
my vote is for sticks to be taken out of asses

Villide
11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Maybe a Dev can confirm, but I thought at the old forums someone had indicated that they were going to be keeping an eye on the character's names? That was a ways back, so I could be mistaken.

Falisaty
11-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Seriously people who would you rather try to send a tell to, somone that has a name like Vanilerihha or Bob... of corse I chose Bob just a time saver. And besideds all in all ITS JUST A GAME. quit crying already.

Aeolwind
11-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't go looking, but if someone brings something to my attention then I'll go get'em. I generally let most slide unless it is offensive like a racial slur or body part.

Takshaka
11-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Personally, I dont really care too much about names unless they are offensive. I saw someone with a name using the *N* and that is when I realized that there was absolutely no filter at all.

A name like PopLockin Obamamama doesn't really bother me as that would be pretty funny. But I draw the line at obviously offensive names. In fact I think I am going to make a monk named Poplocking Obamamama. Howver, smoeone will most certainly beat me to that as I am at work right now.

Pyrocat
11-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Poplockin is a gnome necro already :)

Wenai
11-18-2009, 07:47 PM
I am a bit of a dick when it comes to re-naming people. I name you one of the "pet names" and you have no choice in the matter if it is offensive. Jebober, Gobn, Xanarer ... the list is piratically endless.

Bubbles
11-18-2009, 09:21 PM

No, but occasionally people give me Cookies. :)

I am a bit of a dick when it comes to re-naming people. I name you one of the "pet names" and you have no choice in the matter if it is offensive. Jebober, Gobn, Xanarer ... the list is piratically endless.

My favorite was always "Goner", although Jebober is usually the first name people remember when reminiscing.

Doeboy
11-18-2009, 10:32 PM
No, but occasionally people give me Cookies. :)

My favorite was always "Goner", although Jebober is usually the first name people remember when reminiscing.

Jabobtik FTW

eqravenprince
11-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Is Cyrus Davirus gimmicky? It's a reminder to me to not take EQ too seriously. I did that back in 1999 and it's not a good thing. But I couldn't stand all the goofy name generated names like illuilhhgar. I almost always go to Ogre or Halfling if I want a generated name, then after getting a name I go pick my race.

Zithax
11-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Just going to throw this out there, OP, you are a retard.

Carry on.

foxdragoon
11-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Go back to the GameFaqs message board, Zithax, where your juvenile attitude and lack of valuable input is tolerated.

vaire100
11-20-2009, 08:51 PM
like foxdragoon pointed out, there are rules from the original game that exist... a lot of policies changed though. Some basic ones stayed the same. On this server it's not really a problem, since it's privately run and if something is genuinely offensive it will be changed, and thats about it. If you want truer to classic, what about the old huge rule lists for guides? and policies from the old game?

Everquest Naming Policy
http://help.station.sony.com/cgi-bin/soe.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=16212

i dont have the EQ1 Policies and Procedures manual. There's a copy of the EQII one, which has a lot of the same stuff...

EQII Guide Policies and Procedures
http://www.liquidram.net/online/Guide%20Stuff/EQIIP&P11Jul08/EQIIP&P11Jul08.htm

It includes some useful advice:

Pseudo-Nepotism. Some guilds have branches on multiple servers or games. It is also possible that real life friends have player characters on the Guide team member's Guide server. We should, at all costs, avoid any interaction with guildmates or real life friends while on duty. This includes, but is not limited to:

· Assisting guildmates or real life friends

· Escalating issues to guildmates that are also part of the Guide program.

· Referencing or speaking of the guild or guild references while on duty.

· Having the guild advertise that a member is also a member of the Guide Program.

Essentially, if our player character is a member of a guild, we should have nothing to do with anyone anywhere, while we are on duty that is also a member of that guild, even if that person is also in the program. This prevents the perception that, because a guild has a member of the Guide Program within it, members of that guild gets preferential treatment.

No d3wDzP3aK (Doodspeak). As Guides, we communicate with the players 100% via the written word. As such, it is very important that we deliver our responses in a professional and literate fashion. There is no quicker way to offend or "put off" a player than communicating in a manner that sounds ignorant or overly informal. Few people will complain or notice if our communications are concise, clean, and professional, but MANY will notice should they be sloppy, erroneous, and illiterate. Consequently, Guides will not use the style of communication generally referred to as Doodspeak. This includes, but is not limited to, words such as:

· 'u' instead of you

· 'ur' instead of you're/your

· 'sup' as a greeting

Favors. We shall never request 'favors' of a player, either for themselves or on behalf of another player. In such cases where it is deemed that player assistance is needed, the CSR or Senior Guide shall be the contacting person.

Controlling player perception. No matter the intentions, no matter how pure the motives, no matter how well meaning the guide program member, the specter of favoritism can rear its ugly head if we are not diligent and consistent in our actions. All it takes is for the belief to be propagated to cause a problem, even if it is completely untrue. This must be avoided at all costs, as it not only damages the individual's reputation and that of the program, but undermines SOE and the Guide Program overall.

Helping ourselves. Under no circumstances whatsoever should any member of the Guide program "help themselves," such as assisting their player character or that character's party.

Twinking. We do not adventure and do not provide equipment or aid to player characters outside of those items specifically allowed for distribution. This includes giving items to our player characters. We are observers, not participants.

karsten
11-20-2009, 10:49 PM
nerf foxdragoon's name, it's clearly a starfox/ff2 reference

Pyrocat
11-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Can't let you do that... fox (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=223)

Zarniwooop
11-20-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm completely in agreement.

Force a name change on every truly stupid, truly idiotic name.

Georgebush, Hugenutsack, etc... Make them all change so the rest of us can at least pretend they aren't complete morons.

Worst case though, players that stupid are easily ostracized.

foxdragoon
11-20-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm glad to see some people agree with the names. I didn't see it as an elitism thing, more like a suggestion we could all do to make the server feel a bit more classic. Sorry I caused all this backlash, I guess some people really take suggestions like this very seriously. Like I said, its not a real problem.

Sphynx87
11-21-2009, 05:38 PM
I remember actual character names being really strict, but you could get away with some funny stuff with your Surname, unless a GM saw you :{

EliteJackson
11-24-2009, 02:13 PM
In early Velious my pal got his toon's name changed forcibly by a GM.

Snotkok Rotjok was no more. This isn't really on topic, but I felt the need to share because that name was freaking awesome.

Morfnblorsh
11-24-2009, 02:22 PM
I remember a cleric getting in trouble for his name "Jesus".

The GMs made him change it, but allowed him to choose a replacement.

Thus, "Mosus" the cleric was born.

Stupid Sony GMs.

Winobot
11-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Call me ducky.

messiah_b
11-24-2009, 03:00 PM
My last character on live was Colander Freshpasta

Obama
11-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Well GM's do monitor names, they took away my surname when I was Obama Magicnegro. Of course it could have been the case that they just folded when a lame bitchy player (like you perhaps?) petitioned because it ruined your precious immersion.

foxdragoon
11-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Or maybe you shouldn't be taking cues from Rush Limbaugh?

Aeolwind
11-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Well GM's do monitor names, they took away my surname when I was Obama Magicnegro. Of course it could have been the case that they just folded when a lame bitchy player (like you perhaps?) petitioned because it ruined your precious immersion.

I'm seriously not sure what planet you are from that you thought that would be acceptable.