PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Underwater Spell Avoidance

MC Epic
01-03-2013, 02:28 AM
In it's current state, the server does not have any check for player position in or out of water when a hostile spell is cast in PvP.

In the screenshot below, you can see a player standing on the beach successfully land a spell on a player who is underwater.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag95/MCEpic99/underwaterdamage_zps012cc1e8.jpg

This is incorrect to the classic mechanic, and voids significant strategy that was used during PvP in areas with water

The spell damage in the picture above should not have hit; instead, the player underwater should have been protected and received the same message as though he was out of pvp-level range of the other player.

If you're underwater, you can only be casted on by other players underwater, and vice versa. Many people use water as a way to escape spells. So when someone casts on you, you get the "soandso tries to cast a spell on you, but you're protected" message. If you have levitate on, you can run above/below water freely. Great to have for ocean battles!
Source: http://www.notacult.com/guide_trollshaman.html

This game mechanic existed on Classic EQ until a patch on August 11, 2004 when it was changed:

* Water will no longer cause you to be immune to people outside of water and vice versa.
Source: http://www.thesafehouse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12752

----------------
Mesochrist - Azrael PVP

Potus
01-03-2013, 03:13 AM
Yeah melees used to jump in and out of the water in Oasis for pvp.

It also applied to npcs, in fact that was why the mechanic was implemented, apparently during Beta a lot of casters would root mobs underwater and nuke them and let them drown.

Bamzal Sherbet
01-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Linking this here, since it was discussed before, with GM posts.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50902

From my quick read, it looks like this is another mechanic that Null customized (and hence, completely fucking obliterated)

Twain
01-03-2013, 02:07 PM
A++ Bug report. I had no idea this was not working correctly. I should be nuking noobs underwater on Saidin instead of swimming down after them!

Cwall 52.0
01-03-2013, 05:13 PM
this was something that was working in red99 beta and null changed it

Bamzal Sherbet
01-03-2013, 06:11 PM
this was something that was working in red99 beta and null changed it

really? just... really?

Imagine this server without Null.. it would be classic!

Cwall 52.0
01-03-2013, 08:38 PM
really? just... really?

Imagine this server without Null.. it would be classic!

null had good intentions for the most part and was working the problems out but then rogaine cockblocked him and he peaced out

not sure where he is now

jjgerman
01-05-2013, 05:04 AM
Running on the edge of water to avoid all spells was always pretty gay, wasnt anything strategic about it. Was just something else to exploit. Much like "classic" item duping. Some shit was just broken, accept it.

Pure casters have it rough enough here, melee @ 60 with fungi tunics already rape face, even more so because crit and pvp melee dmg is way off.

Fixing things like this before u address bigger issues like warriors critting for 1600 with a weighted axe is retarded. Dont see any melees crying about that. When you all know thats not classic. DMg caps were much different.

Kaino
01-05-2013, 04:36 PM
yeah 70% of the server are wiz/dru because casters have it so ruff

QQ more noob

Bamzal Sherbet
01-05-2013, 05:31 PM
yeah 70% of the server are wiz/dru because casters have it so ruff

QQ more noob

rofl, no shit.

also, i could care less how much a weighted axe crits for. plz nurf it

Pudge
01-24-2013, 04:12 AM
um. this is a big deal that everyone has talked about and figured would never get fixed. pls fix it, they had it working on vztz and it made pvp more interesting.

example: that vid of heartbrand casting spells at hugs while HB was just hovering over the water... HB woulda had to dive in to start casting, then hugs would have popped out of the water just before HB was finished, thus wasting HBs mana and keeping Hugs alive

ALSO: while levitating over water, you slowly sink into it (does this happen only sometimes, or always?). supposed to hover above the surface as if it was solid ground. stand still over some water and watch yourself slowly sink in. I think this server might not count the layer of water as it should be..

Nirgon
01-24-2013, 04:31 AM
Can pretty much forget about any pvp changes I think at this point

MC Epic
01-25-2013, 05:23 PM
um. this is a big deal

Agreed. This code in-place would dynamically change this type of situational PvP from dumby-clicking to active movements and casting-cancellations; much more fun and, I'll say it: true to classic experience.

Can pretty much forget about any pvp changes I think at this point

Sad, sad state of affairs; how's that database & code coming along?

Bamzal Sherbet
01-25-2013, 06:49 PM
the developers here have literally dumbed classic EQ down to the levels of WoW... way to pull a Sony and ruin classic EQ

SamwiseRed
01-25-2013, 07:23 PM
i dont understand the line of sight on spells in this game. why does an ant block LOS? why are bolts functioning like regular nukes did in classic but regular nukes arent? not trolling im seriously asking. was LOS changed and this server is using how it works on live or is this something custom?

Bamzal Sherbet
01-25-2013, 08:52 PM
yes... did you even read the first page?

Null made it EQ on Rails

Nirgon
02-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Works on players but not on npcs, what in the flim flarm flam filth. Remove from hitting players.

Rettii
02-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Works on players but not on npcs, what in the flim flarm flam filth. Remove from hitting players.

low HP mobs walking into water before spell hits dang nabbit

Handpartytowel
02-05-2013, 04:08 AM
add to the long list of things that are still broken here that vztz had fixed 4 years ago