PDA

View Full Version : Where to solo as a 33 Magician?

Tenloar
12-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Hey, I'm having a hard time finding a good spot to solo. Currently level 33, feels like im stuck between a rock and a hard place. The guide listed in the wiki seem to be a bit outdated (with fire pet not putting up his fire damage shield right away).

Mistmoore just isnt cutting it anymore, usually packed.

I'm not twinked at all, maybe a +int piece here and there, but for the most part my stats are all pretty low.

Any help/advice/tips would be appreciated.

Phinger
12-30-2012, 09:01 PM
I had a hard time fighting in the mid 30s too. I found two good places though for exp finally after wasting days trying to find a good spot. Loot wasn't great, but exp was and it was safe. Along the coast in FV there is a lot of free space to kill pirates and drolvargs down a ways from the bridge.. Or you can get on the boat and head into TD and hit the iceberg and kill apes.

liveitup1216
12-30-2012, 10:43 PM
if you dont care about your wood elf faction theres a ranger camp in lfay nearish to mistmoore that i solo'd at from 29-35ish, can be a pain to split at first (depending on how friendly theyre feeling, its a 1-3 pull, but i could separate with roots)

if not south karana comes to mind, misty thicket guards by the newbie wall, uhh all over kunark sort of from WW to FM to FV

Silo69
12-30-2012, 11:14 PM
hhk

goblins

or

guards

will take you to 53+ if your crazy

you can start hunting in that zone at lvl 8-9 can take you, well technically you can ding 60 in hhk but you would have to hate your life

Tenloar
12-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Firionia Vie seems promising. Killed a mob or two, not too bad.

HHK goblins, to solo, most of them conned light blue when I was level 31. The goblin ears gave amazing exp though.

Does HHK have a high ZEM?

And guards, killing them will mess up my Freeport faction?

goshozal
12-31-2012, 04:32 AM
FM Giant fort is lovely for 33, when it stops being good you can head to Overthere one zone away.

-Maksim Makiavelli

Nagash
12-31-2012, 09:34 AM
At 33 you can also head to OT and stay there until level 41-42.

Furniture
12-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Yeah you should go to overthere stay near the skyfire zone line , great place for you to solo

Snagglepuss
12-31-2012, 11:39 AM
DON'T go to Kunark. As a solo mage, you're just nerfing yourself.

At 33 you have a few safe options and a few riskier options. Stick with old world vanilla zones. It's the mage's kingdom. You'll frustrate yourself how fast most Kunark mobs chew up and spit out our pets pre-50. In Kunark, you'll have to nuke to save your pet (pet aggro / taunt is broken and weird here presents one problem), and as Noleafclover showed, healing your pet is a more mana efficient nuke while using the firepet pre-49. Arguably chaining becomes more efficient by your late 30s, but remember that instant ds is a thing of the past (or the future).

The safer option would be to grind out the Gnolls in SK moving to the Hermit camp at 34 to grind out 34-39 on the static gnolls and the roaming centaurs chargers. Centaurs do not have any faction hits, but they ARE social aggroers. And you are basically near a Quillmane spawn point (hurray!). It's a great, safe little camp albeit mindless. Standard outdoor 7 minute respawn timer- just enough to med up in between kills. Remember you'll have to chain heal your pet then relclaim when the mob flees and nuke. It's not super "efficient" but hey, this isn't summer 2010 or even 2011. We can't afk level : P

The riskier option include Unrest Basement, which is no longer soloable since the great pet exp nerf ie undead don't flee. (I solo'd on and off there 29 to 36 mixed with soloing in Paw then did chargers to 39) You can, however, duo it safely with a cleric. Essentially, you'll summon a max level pet and pimp him out with weapons then have the cleric patch heal your pet as they are stunning the hags. You'll want to heal your pet primarily. Let the cleric root / stun. Your 34 fire pet will chew up the mobs so badly that you guys just need to pull with a level 1 nuke. Fight everything up to the last Hag / spawn before the Dwarf ghost. There should be one possibly two doubles. It's great exp, and you'll feel like a boss.

Other options include the entrance rooms in Paw. Invis past double guards to the safe spot and kill the roamer then all the singles up to the double spawn at the big door. There's a safe room to chill in / camp on the right. Refer to the map. It's tough as the gnolls flee, and you don't have much room so you'll have to nuke them hard after you reclaim your pet. It's a riskier option and can be done. Just learn the pathing and who aggros who in the room when pulling.

At 39, do yourself a favor and kill hill giants to 49. They are single pull You'll make a lot of money for spells and gear.

Stick with the safer option imo. In my experience, you'll level faster just grinding in SK than actually being fancy as mages are delicate and having no CC makes us pretty weak in dungeons and places with double pulls.

Snagglepuss
12-31-2012, 11:50 AM
I'd like to add that I was incredibly poorly geared at the time as well. I wore my newb robe until I got my planar robe at 50 just to prove a point. The Magus is gear independent. Case in point: a tentacle terror knocked my corpse under the earth and while waiting for a summon from a GM, I bummed some malachite and destroyed the basement. An extreme example, but it can be done.

Remember, undead are unrealistically soloable now, meaning spectres and unrest. (I solo'd Feerrott ones when giants were over camped from 39 to late 40s.)

If you have any questions, pm me, and I'll answer them or answer / show them in game.

yraapt
12-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Sol A got me through the 30s, but that was years ago.

Snag, did they change something with undead?

Snagglepuss
12-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Not specifically with undead, but rather the mechanics of disposing of them. Since undead mobs don't flee, it's not really practical to reclaim your pet to get full exp. Just more or less a PITA that wasn't an issue when pets didn't eat exp. Angry 3% white con spectres are not fun to melee / cast on.