PDA

View Full Version : Re: Pet Experience

Victorio
12-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Hi I'm a new necro, lvl 9 now, and I had a question about how pet experience works on this server. I've seen several different mechanics talked about on the forums and different ones on EQLive as well, and frankly some of them seem kind of non-sensical. (Note: I did play a necro from 2000-2002 on EQLive.)

From the 1999 Library -> FAQ Page:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1002

Do pets or damage shields take experience?
As of a recent patch, you must out-damage your pet or you will only receive 25% of the exp. This rule does not apply in group settings, so even if your pet outdamages the combined damage of everyone in your group, it will still not take experience. In order to get experience when using a damage shield, you must do at least one point of damage or the DS will eat all of the exp.

This doesn't seem to be happening in practice, because I'm pretty sure I've seen pets taking exp away from groups and I've seen pets give both partial and full exp when soloing mobs even if the pet solos the mob himself. Also, this makes no sense according to either ruleset on EQLive. I've swear I've seen blue and yellow cons give the same exp when grouped based on the damage done.

From the Pet Wiki: (Following the link from the FAQ Page)
Pets and Experience
Oct 23rd update: "Classic pet experience distribution." Oct 23 2011 Patch.
In order to receive full experience for a kill solo, you need to do more than 50% of the damage to the mob. If your pet out-damages you or the group, it will take 50% of the experience away from the kill. This is a major change from the previous system, in which you only needed to do a single point of damage to the mob in order to get full experience. If you are grouped, your group and you will get full xp from the kill.

(If the last sentence is referring only to the 'old' Project1999 rules, then the 'new' (classic) rules are the same as the actual classic rules on EQLive. Otherwise, there's a contradiction between the two.)

From EQLive Rules:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=960

Summary:
"Old" (Classic) Rules:
Solo AND Group: If a pet (summoned, charmed, or dire charmed) does 50% or more of the damage to the monster, it takes 50% of the exp, otherwise you get full exp.
(These seem to be the "new" rules of the Oct 2011 patch for p1999.)

"New" Rules:
Solo AND Group: If you or your group does any damage at all, you get full exp. If you do 0 damage, pet takes 75% xp. (summoned and charmed)
Solo AND Group: If the pet is dire charmed and does all the damage it takes 75% of the exp, if you do some damage you get betwen 25% and 50%, if you do more than 50% damage you get all the exp.
*(These seem to be the "old" rules of the Oct 2011 patch for p1999.)

Anyway, could someone please answer definitively about which rule-set is in effect and whether it is actually working correctly both in solo and group situations. (I've played some other custom games where, through extensive testing, I've found serious flaws in mechanics that even the developers weren't aware of.) The set referred to on the FAQ not only seems non-sensical (it's almost impossible to out-damage your pet in most situations as a necro) but doesn't seem to be working properly in practice; like I said I'm absolutely sure I've seen pets stealing exp when in groups.

Estu
12-21-2012, 10:26 AM
If you are solo and the pet does over 50% of the damage, it takes 50% of the EXP. If you are grouped with at least one other person in the same zone, there is no pet EXP penalty.

Phinger
12-21-2012, 11:24 AM
If you are solo and the pet does over 50% of the damage, it takes 50% of the EXP. If you are grouped with at least one other person in the same zone, there is no pet EXP penalty.

^^^

When i duo with a cleric, 9/10 of the time neither of us do any damage at all to the mob and exp flies. If i solo one and miss the break/kill shot because i was talking my exp didn't ever move. If i solo and break then kill, exp moves.

Victorio
12-21-2012, 04:00 PM

So is the statement from the FAQ incorrect then?
As of a recent patch, you must out-damage your pet or you will only receive 25% of the exp. This rule does not apply in group settings, so even if your pet outdamages the combined damage of everyone in your group, it will still not take experience. In order to get experience when using a damage shield, you must do at least one point of damage or the DS will eat all of the exp.

Estu
12-22-2012, 09:50 AM
So is the statement from the FAQ incorrect then?

Yes.