PDA

View Full Version : how to skillup begging?

mazukon
12-19-2012, 02:01 PM
I've begged from my pet and from a level 1 snake, level 1 skeleton for probably a total of an hour now. My skill was 1 and I went and pumped it at the trainer because maybe the chance was too low. Either way, I've yet to skillup at all. What am I doing wrong?

Xer0
12-19-2012, 02:45 PM
a couple people ont he ZAM comments reccomend binding the "begging" hotkey to the same hotkey you use for kick..
Though seeing you mention your pet I must assume you are a necro/chanter/mage, or maybe an SK.. if an SK, I would say bind it to bash? If an int caster, maybe bind it to the same hotkey as any ability you may use consistantly while targeting an npc

Pringles
12-19-2012, 02:48 PM
You cant beg while auto attack is on, so binding it to kick wouldn't be very useful. You can macro turning auto attack off, beg, attack on again but ya I've never seen a skillup from that either.

yraapt
12-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Is there a use for begging? Don't you only get 1sp at best?

Xer0
12-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Well in the same comment they said they had created a macro that disabled auto attack, kicked, begged, and resumed auto attack.. so this may not be something doable in this early generation of eq, but I have no idea

AexDestroy
12-20-2012, 02:29 AM
Lemme learn you a little. With any skill you can get any amount of money within the inventory of the person you are begging. The chances of failure go down with skilling up, but I have not noticed much more success rate. The best place to level this safely is on your local "a boat". The little ones, that you can hop in and drive. They are considered mobs and they will even yell at you when fail. It seems to work identically to pickpocket aside from so far I have never received an item. The most ive gotten was 7pp from a dwarf NPC and I had a skill of 4.

Swish
12-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Certain human NPCs are beggable.

Lucky the Beggar in Highkeep
The beggar dude in East Freeport as you zone to West (same graphic).
Monala at Erud's Crossing

...must be tons of others, but they'll all get your begging up. Be warned some NPCs at docks will kill you if you have a crit resist (the dwarves at both the Kunark and Freeport boats in Butcherblock will hit hard) :D

Bigcountry23
12-20-2012, 03:12 PM
you can only beg from any humanoid NPC (before a recent patch, you could beg from anything). Begging = pick pocketing (if they have coin, you can beg it). If a monster agros you, you can no longer beg from it. Begging does work (I have an SK with 50).

maximum
12-20-2012, 03:31 PM
As a seasoned beggar, I usually stick with a) city guards and b) magician summoned pets. Most of my skill-ups were made (albeit slowly) by passing by NPCs and hitting the Beg hotkey. Normally, they would not aggro.

The NFP guard right outside the bank usually gives a few silver and copper. Not really a useful skill, even on EQ Live.

Waedawen
12-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Fight monster. Hit macro with the following.

/attack off
/doability # where # is 1-6 according to where Begging is on your Ability menu
/attack on

Macros

And since I've thought of it, if you have a rogue and haven't done it yet, you can make a "Mug" or "Jump" macro.

/attack off
/doability 1 (Pickpocket)
/doability 2 (Backstab)
/doability 3 (Evade)
/attack on

With that macro, you'll turn off attack, pickpocket, then stab, then attempt to Evade to remove agro, then turn back on your auto attack in one graceful key press.

webrunner5
12-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Since they nerfed it waste of time, unless you want to piss off your group.