PDA

View Full Version : p99 ZEMs

mazukon
12-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Are these public knowledge? The wiki list people say is inaccurate. What places 30+ can match unrest??

Auvdar
12-06-2012, 11:43 PM
I think Kedge Keep still has a good ZEM. It was nerfed at Kunark release, but I think it still has a ZEM. Can't remember anymore off the top of my head.

Swish
12-07-2012, 06:02 AM
Are these public knowledge? The wiki list people say is inaccurate. What places 30+ can match unrest??

Kurn's Tower (might be pushing it at 30+)
Highkeep
Mistmoore has a ZEM but its not as high, IIRC...

...what are the inaccurate ones on the wiki?

webrunner5
12-07-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't think whether they are accurate or not has much bearing. There are like 10 zones in this game to level in and that is pretty much it if you want to group and level fast.

CB, Befallen, Unrest, MM, HHK, Upper Lower Guk, CoM, KC, Seb. They are where the action is for a reason.

I mean Oasis and Kurns Tower is great also. Lots of people in them. My Druid ports tons of people to the 10 above. Kurns hard to get to unless u are a Iksar. Oasis is terrible Zem, but always a lot of people there. Lots of mobs. Close to the tunnel.

Now solo that is a different story. But most outdoor open zones suck at ZeM. Karanas, OT come to mind. But if you want to do the Bard thing, or Quad kite on a Druid not much you can do about it.

Its kind of a shame though. There is a ton of zones a lot of people have never been to.

SupaflyIRL
12-07-2012, 11:30 AM
I don't think whether they are accurate or not has much bearing.

*statement that there are 10 zones worth xping in (due to classic ZEMs) while stating that it doesn't matter if these ZEMs are correct*

Brain cramp.

davedeck42
12-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Some of the best zones arent worth going to because of the dynamics of the zones. Everything in splitpaw is a caster with a pet, lizards in CT heal from everywhere.. Hell, I have never been much further than the entrance of runnyeye because nobody is ever there and I didnt know enough about the zone to solo there. That and there isnt enough loot to really justify it except for 1-2 pieces from each zone and its easier to just buy them.

Elements
12-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Solb is also pretty crazy xp. Though you are better off in HHK at nobles til 51. Pretty sure HHK has the highest ZEM in the game and you can stay there 20-50.

eqravenprince
12-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Kedge Keep definitely has a high zem. Nobles in HighKeep, maybe but I am a 49 Monk but cannot kill them so I wouldn't know.

Slave
12-08-2012, 02:47 AM
Highkeep ZEM seemed plain broken, a few months back. It seems to have something of a bonus now, again. I really hope it wasn't all my imagination because Rogean does love a good zing.

Hollywood
12-30-2012, 08:56 PM
I don't think whether they are accurate or not has much bearing. There are like 10 zones in this game to level in and that is pretty much it if you want to group and level fast.

CB, Befallen, Unrest, MM, HHK, Upper Lower Guk, CoM, KC, Seb. They are where the action is for a reason.

Whether they are accurate does have a bearing; obviously because bad information is bad information and the list you gave is popular less due to experience measurements and more to do with convenience - whether by travel patterns, corpse run difficulty, named mob and loot, population etc. etc.

I believe most people get your general point, it just lacks any visibility on the details and gives the impression (since it is in response to a ZEM query), that these are THE zones to fulfill that purpose.

Crushbone is great, IF you're on that side of the world, same could be said for Blackburrow IF you're on that side of the continent.
HHK goblins are mediocre, HHK guards can be a nice solo experience - due to both experience gain and lack of population/contesting.
Upper Guk - great bonus
Lower Guk - decent dead size bonus, light side not that great.
City of Mist - has it's limitations in terms of experience bonus. It's more down to convenience with it's zone layout and bind options.
Karnors is supremely over rated and certainly not favored by any bonus in it's natural form.
Sebilis is all about loot - at least for most people. Good experience to be had, won't say the modifier is exceptional.

These following are not alternatives, just alternatives to yours :

Permafrost has got to be one of the best examples. It's alleged live rating was 'standard dungeon' bonus, similar to Hole. Yet a trio of people from 50-57 will see noticeable experience gain doing bear trap area mobs, that rival Kedge Keep mermaids - particularly even more to the point because they can all be single pulled, have low MR, do not cast and respawn at a fair speed.

Hole has no great modifier, however the right group(s) with the right knowledge can turn it into something very manageable and get high experience turn around.

Kedge Keep is a hidden gem, and one that's used by those with the knowledge of how to.

Nagafen's lair should be a no brainer, was packed before Kunark released and for good reason. It's also easily accessible.

Chardok, Charasis, Kaesora, Dalnir, Droga, Nurga, CazicThule, Splitpaw etc.etc. all great places, all worth the challenge and the reward.
As Dave said though unfortunately, with the broken aspects on this server (hit boxes, casting los, messed up mob flee etc,.) they turn into a deathtrap... and that may be the number one reason such zones are less populated.

Furthering, outdoor zones can have their benefits as well for what I hope are obvious reasons and when you stack up hour on hour experience gain, it might come out more depending on how well you do.
Sarnak Fort in Omen and Giants in Frontier Mountains are some common examples.

To answer your question : 30+ in Unrest is primarily the basement, and with a good group you run out of mobs to slay before respawns, not very efficient.
You'd be better off at CE in Mistmoore as an example.

Swish
12-30-2012, 10:29 PM
30+ in Unrest is primarily the basement, and with a good group you run out of mobs to slay before respawns, not very efficient.
You'd be better off at CE in Mistmoore as an example.

CE begins to really slow after 35-36, you should then return to Unrest's basement and try to duo/trio down there if its possible :)

Messianic
12-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Lower Guk - decent dead size bonus, light side not that great.

...You realize those are the same zone, right?

Tecmos Deception
12-30-2012, 11:38 PM
...You realize those are the same zone, right?

The term "zone experience modifier" is deceptive, because it doesn't really seem to apply to entire zones (all of the time, at least).

Last time this kind of discussion came up, personal experience showed that the aqua goblins in the lake in LOIO give xp at a rate that suggests LOIO has like a 150ish ZEM (I forget the exact number). But then when I killed level 1 mobs with a level 1 iksar, THAT was indicating that LOIO had a 75 ZEM.

So yeah. Moral of the story is that you can potentially find that parts of a zone are great xp and other parts are crappy.

Hollywood
12-31-2012, 09:48 AM
CE begins to really slow after 35-36, you should then return to Unrest's basement and try to duo/trio down there if its possible :)

I was about to say ..one issue with Mistmoore is lack of diversity, however it's back to a convenience factor again.

P99 doesn't often see more than one group per each known camp - entrance ramp, pond, canyon, graveyard, pit, CE and then that's about it.
I remember when it was so busy that there were two groups or more per the above and then more inside ..how about a group camping in the tomb and another next door in the jail?

At first glance, CE might be the end of the convenient line in MM, but certainly not the end of the line altogether.
And I would not go back to Unrest basement as a full group after that(or even as a duo)..would be counter productive. Unless you do something creative, like Mino Heroes, Lords or Sentrys in Steamfont, or Brownies in Lfay, you're only other realistic Faydwer option will end up being Kedge.

The term "zone experience modifier" is deceptive, because it doesn't really seem to apply to entire zones (all of the time, at least).

Last time this kind of discussion came up, personal experience showed that the aqua goblins in the lake in LOIO give xp at a rate that suggests LOIO has like a 150ish ZEM (I forget the exact number). But then when I killed level 1 mobs with a level 1 iksar, THAT was indicating that LOIO had a 75 ZEM.

So yeah. Moral of the story is that you can potentially find that parts of a zone are great xp and other parts are crappy.

Yes, I do not remember if it was like this on the real servers though I wouldn't be shocked at the idea of particular mobs being tweaked to adapt to a gain or lack of interest by players.

My advice to people is ask others where they honestly think is a good place to experience and then ask for what reasons.
If you want something easy and fast, then go there. If you want adventure, then go somewhere else.
Worst that can happen is you find out it's not all it's cracked up to be; you just have to be flexible to the idea that maybe when they did it, conditions were more optimal and therefore better results were achieved.

If I had to make one up, I would still follow the original standard baseline of +10/% points for all dungeons but would rework them with the now accumulated knowledge of what zones got popular for what reasons over the years and also for what specific areas/mobs. This would allow the server to entice people to make the trip to out of the way places like Dalnir, or Qeynos Catacombs, or camp the floating iceberg in Timorous Deep, or etc.
Developers wouldn't have to disclose anything more than "'we've adjusted all zones to fit[or not fit, you be the judge!] more universally with play styles and player knowledge. Adventure onward!"

Eventually it would go from being somewhat official with a lot of anecdotal comments, to something pretty accurate but without direct confirmation from developers thus keeping them from giving away secrets.

Swish
12-31-2012, 10:19 AM
I think the overarching point here is if you need to join a group or not. If you're LFG and bound by where the existing groups are already then you'll be needing to just follow the herd...making about half the possible zones unpossible :P

Agreed on the former popularity of Mistmoore, I remember everything camped... CE camped, so a group or even two would move in and try and do some of the more tricky stuff by Dhamp or do the gypsies if CE's group wasn't able to reach that far.

Unrest is a realistic option in the basement as a trio, a tank, cleric and dps is all you really need. If the tank is a paladin, that's good for extra dps. If the cleric is one of two healers he can throw some nukes in. Things open up for groups if undead is involved. Definitely too slow for a full group, but a knowledgable trio can make quick work of the basement :)

Alternatives? Sol B entrance is probably doable. Overthere used to be a popular zone for the mid-30s...not sure at the moment. If you can "bring your own group" to a zone you shouldnt rule out Nurga Mines (off FM)...though Droga is a pathing nightmare.

At 38-40 I solo'd the festering hags in Unrest as a cleric. Some well placed lulls/trial and error and they're broken and very nukable (keep a symbol up). There's no reason why a 35ish cleric and another dps couldn't hold those down if the basement is camped.

Hollywood
01-01-2013, 01:11 PM
I called Unrest counter productive due to the less experience you'd be gaining in contrast to other options.
That and at certain killing speeds you'd be out of mobs.

You're right about the geographical aspect.
The funny bit is when zones become so hyped or common that people overlook the logistics of things just because they want to get there.
How many times I've heard someone say 'Kedge? Kedge is like other side of the planet man, take me forever!' 'Where are you now?' 'I'm at the druid rings in Dreadlands' <---- forever, really? 'Where you going instead?' 'Sebilis! great xp man am i rite?' 'You got OT hammer?' 'No, I'm gonna run'
'Ok, good luck with that..'