PDA

View Full Version : Gear planning

Bidoof
11-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Hi all! Just had a question about gearing. I'm new to the server, and my first character is probably the worst to start off with, a warrior (currently level 12). On Live, from beginning of Luclin (when my parents decided I was old enough) to SoF, I played either a cleric or a bard, so I decided to try a more melee-based character. Yes, I know bards are melee, but that's not where they shine.

Anyway, my question is about where I should go with my gearing. You can see what I have now here: http://wiki.project1999.org/Magelo_Blue:Bidoof . All of the non-tattered and patchwork stuff is courtesy of the very nice and generous Jopp (forgive me if that's not your main's name, I'll plug you if you tell it to me). I also have a Whip of Strangulation I had bought cheap with spiderling silk money, which is in the bank for another level until I can duel wield.

So here's the question (finally!). With the weapons I have now, should I focus on getting better armor first, or should I get even better weapons? The Green Jade Broadsword is nice for when I solo, but I know I have no prayer holding aggro with a rogue or monk. Should I replace it and/or the Whip before going into gear? Is my squishiness more pressing? First time playing a tank class in EQ, so thoughts would be appreciated.

I currently have 192pp to my name (which is awesome, don't knock it), but this is also about where to go in the future as I get money. Is there anything I could get now that would be most beneficial? Is there something I should (realistically) save up for next? I appreciate any help.

/ramble off

Splorf22
11-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Pick up a Kunzar Ku'juch (8/22) for your offhand for 50p because you'll be able to DW soon. After that go for some Bronze armor (1p/ac I think), so like 100 for a full set. If you are a dwarf Unrest should be in your back yard. Then start saving your pennies for a set of Platinum Fire Wedding Rings (5AC/55hp/225 each if you plead your noobness).

Then in your 20/30s, work on crafted armor (either bought or quested, probably get a full set for 2k), and a pair of Lamentations (9/19 with nice stats), 2k each or so.

In your 40s try to get an FBSS (6k) and swap the lamentations for a Sarnak Warhammer (9/20 stun proc, 4k) and either a Wurmslayer (25/40, 4k) or a Silken Whip (14/28 snare proc, 500p) - both are really good weapons that my warrior uses at 60 - and hit up Hate for some indicolite. Now that you have an actual proccing weapon, pick up a grotesque mask (7 dex, cheap) and Carnal Pauldrons from Sol B (nodrop).

In your 50s go for an RBG, CoF, NoS, Tranix Crown, Idol of the Thorned, Earring of Essence, etc.

To add to this: its the monks job to FD if he doesn't want to tank, and the rogue's job to evade. Warriors get screwed gear wise because there are no weapons with good aggro procs and good ratios until 40-46. Even at higher levels you aren't going to be outdamaging an epic monk/rog (especially since your epic is a lot harder to get). Its their job to work with your limitations.

Bidoof
11-20-2012, 01:03 AM
Wow, thanks for all the tips.

Just one follow-up question to that: do you think a Kunzar Ku'juch is worth the 50p when I have the Whip of Strangulation? I know the ratio is better, but the Whip would already proc (for threat) while the Kunzar doesn't until 40 (when I wouldn't want to use it anymore). For solo the 8/22 is better, but for threat should I stick with the Whip debuff at a 6/24 ratio?

Splitting hairs, sure, but when you're poor, every copper counts.

Splorf22
11-20-2012, 02:19 AM
Ah right I missed that. Keep your whip for the offhand then!

Nogdar
11-20-2012, 06:33 AM
To add to this: its the monks job to FD if he doesn't want to tank, and the rogue's job to evade. Warriors get screwed gear wise because there are no weapons with good aggro procs and good ratios until 40-46. Even at higher levels you aren't going to be outdamaging an epic monk/rog (especially since your epic is a lot harder to get). Its their job to work with your limitations.

Hey, I've never played a rogue and don't know much about them, and I got a friend rolling one now, quick question : is evade a trainable skill? I can't see any mention of it on the Rogue page of the wiki. What lvl do they get it at? Or do you simply mean to Hide?

Thanks;

feriokun
11-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Hi all! Just had a question about gearing. I'm new to the server, and my first character is probably the worst to start off with, a warrior (currently level 12). On Live, from beginning of Luclin (when my parents decided I was old enough) to SoF, I played either a cleric or a bard, so I decided to try a more melee-based character. Yes, I know bards are melee, but that's not where they shine.

Anyway, my question is about where I should go with my gearing. You can see what I have now here: http://wiki.project1999.org/Magelo_Blue:Bidoof . All of the non-tattered and patchwork stuff is courtesy of the very nice and generous Jopp (forgive me if that's not your main's name, I'll plug you if you tell it to me). I also have a Whip of Strangulation I had bought cheap with spiderling silk money, which is in the bank for another level until I can duel wield.

So here's the question (finally!). With the weapons I have now, should I focus on getting better armor first, or should I get even better weapons? The Green Jade Broadsword is nice for when I solo, but I know I have no prayer holding aggro with a rogue or monk. Should I replace it and/or the Whip before going into gear? Is my squishiness more pressing? First time playing a tank class in EQ, so thoughts would be appreciated.

I currently have 192pp to my name (which is awesome, don't knock it), but this is also about where to go in the future as I get money. Is there anything I could get now that would be most beneficial? Is there something I should (realistically) save up for next? I appreciate any help.

/ramble off

Hey Bidoof. If you are looking for a decent place to level at 12 for some good $$, you can hit up Wisp Isle (AKA Kerra Isle). It's the first stop from the Qeynos Boat to Erudin (the island). Having no heals might be a bit rough, but with bind would and being careful to only pull 1 at a time, you should only take about 20% life per pull. They drop Burned out Lightstones, Lightstones, or Greater Lightstones. Destroy the BOL, sell the LS to the merchant, and save the GLS (yes they sell for 4pp at the merchant but don't do it!) Head to North Karana and turn them into the gypsies for some decent XP and sell the book you get from her for 9pp!

I farmed this spot as my Mage for about 3 hours and got approx. 430pp worth of GLS. Then saving up for full bronze or even fine steel should be decently easy. Also great xp and downtime should be fairly minimal. (My mage leveled all the way from 12-16 here)

(I know this didn't answer your question, but could be a nice way to make some $$ on the side)

Bidoof
11-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the tip on money! I've been doing most of my hunting in EC/WC (gotta stay close to the Tunnel to sell stuff!), and I kill wisps whenever I see one. I'll have to go check out Kerra Isle and the quest you mentioned. If GLS drop at the same rate as the Commonlands wisps, that seems more profitable with less hassle than trying to sell pelts and silks.

I'm level 13 now, and bought myself some bronze armor. I advertised "WTB" it for an hour or so with no luck, but found some on a vendor near the Freeport bank. It was more expensive than the 1pp/ac price you'd get from trading, but not by much, and the premium was worth time saved. Just missing a few pieces. If anyone has a Small Bronze Mask and/or Cloak for sell, I'll buy it/them from you, just let me know.

Time to save up!

(And as for the Evade mechanic, I'm not 100% Nogdar, but I think its when you use "Hide" in combat. I've never played a rogue before.)

feriokun
11-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the tip on money! I've been doing most of my hunting in EC/WC (gotta stay close to the Tunnel to sell stuff!), and I kill wisps whenever I see one. I'll have to go check out Kerra Isle and the quest you mentioned. If GLS drop at the same rate as the Commonlands wisps, that seems more profitable with less hassle than trying to sell pelts and silks.

I'm level 13 now, and bought myself some bronze armor. I advertised "WTB" it for an hour or so with no luck, but found some on a vendor near the Freeport bank. It was more expensive than the 1pp/ac price you'd get from trading, but not by much, and the premium was worth time saved. Just missing a few pieces. If anyone has a Small Bronze Mask and/or Cloak for sell, I'll buy it/them from you, just let me know.

Time to save up!

(And as for the Evade mechanic, I'm not 100% Nogdar, but I think its when you use "Hide" in combat. I've never played a rogue before.)

No problem. Not sure the percentage, but for my mage, I had the entire isle to myself. If that's the case, the GLS drop is about 100-150pp per hour give or take and luck based. (so like 10-15 GLS per hour about) Like I said I farmed there for 3 hours and ended up with 43 GLS, and the normal LS's I sold netted me well over 40 plat by themselves. (They sell for 9g each) You technically CAN turn in the LS to the gypsies for Xp as well, but the book they give you only sells for 5 silver... So I just vendor them as XP isn't worth the massive price drop. If you are on the Isle while I'm there, grouping makes it that much faster, (but at the cost of half the $, as you swap off LS and GLS drops) but I wouldn't mind because XP is awesome too. (there are at LEAST 10 wisp spawns on that isle, you won't be able to ever kill them fast enough that you can't at least find 1)

Arrisard
11-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Hey, I've never played a rogue and don't know much about them, and I got a friend rolling one now, quick question : is evade a trainable skill? I can't see any mention of it on the Rogue page of the wiki. What lvl do they get it at? Or do you simply mean to Hide?

Thanks;

Evade is used from the Hide skill/button. If you are on an aggro list turn off attack, hit hide, you will get a success/fail message specifically for Evade.

Raavak
11-20-2012, 06:05 PM
quick question : is evade a trainable skill? I can't see any mention of it on the Rogue page of the wiki. What lvl do they get it at? Or do you simply mean to Hide?
You evade by hiding with attack off. Make a hotkey to do it.

/attack off
/doability # (whatever hide is)
/attack on

Nogdar
11-21-2012, 07:58 AM
I see. Thanks a lot for the info!

Bidoof
11-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Ok, things are going well. Hit 15, and bought a couple of Gold Fire Wedding Rings for a decent discount. I figure the pp saved was worth not waiting to save up 500pp. I can worry about the lost min/max on the 2ac and 20hp later when I have more money.

One more question though (this is prob getting old): do you guys think for groups where I'm tank, should I have the Jade Green Broadsword in my MH and the Whip of Strangulation OH, or switch em? I know the Jade is the better dps choice, but that proc on the Whip looks to be good aggro. Is the proc worth the lost dps, or am I probably gonna lose the threat contest anyway and just stick to the dps arrangement? I haven't had a chance to group since I learned duel wield, or I'd test it myself. Stupid holiday week means I'm have to keep logging off.

Thanks again for all the help.