PDA

View Full Version : Iksar warrior, yes no maybe?

krkarl
11-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Hi

Im thinking about making a warrior and was wondering what you all thought of maybe an Iksar warrior. And if I do ahead and make one what stats to put into?

Many Thanks

Heavydrop
11-16-2012, 12:43 AM
I've never seen that many around.
Could be the fact they can't wear plate mail.
I still don't know if their natural AC bonus compensates enough for that.

I've always felt that people should play what they want and what they
like that way they'll play and be happier with it.

Just be prepared for some difficulties with playing an Iksar

Kender
11-16-2012, 03:10 PM
ikksar warriors become arguably the best in velious. plate armour restrictions are largely removed leaving them with an AC bonus advantage

frontal stun immunity is a tough nut to crack though, there is no way to get that ogah power

krkarl
11-16-2012, 10:11 PM
ahh right i was unaware Iksar couldnt wear plate.. As you may be able to tell im a bit of a noob when it comes to tanks. Used to play back in the day but that seems a very like time ago now and its like learning the whole game again...

I like the idea on no frontal stun Kender, just those ogres and trolls are soooo damn ugly and barbarians boring lol

dredge
11-16-2012, 10:29 PM

Splorf22
11-16-2012, 10:45 PM
I have a 60 Iksar warrior; you can check my sig for his gear. Anyway, the short version is that during the Kunark expansion you get to wear Sebilite scale armor, i.e. ranger gear. So:

1-45 not much difference unless you're comparing vs a twink in full Incarnadine
46-59 your AC bonus will mostly compensate vs an indicolite warrior, but they'll have +30/all stats
60 you'll be ~75AC behind the TMO cobalt bp/greaves force in addition to the stat problems
Velious you'll be the best purely defensive tank in the game, but you'll have less aggro than an ogre warrior who spends less time stunned

However, the corollary to all this is that tanking raid bosses isn't that important in Kunark, because a) there are tons of donals bps floating around and b) the bosses have 32k hp, so all the fights are short (20-40s with typical zerg numbers). Sakuragi has successfully tanked Emperor Chottal (at L53), Ixiblat Fer (at 57), and Overking Bathezid (at 60). I'm pretty sure Hakata has done Trakanon. Some of the VP dragons might be trouble perhaps.

Your big problem is going to be maintaining aggro while leveling (i.e. no mallets). Sakuragi with iksar regen, fungi, and the gear I have in my sig probably requires about the same amount of healing as most other warriors for xp mobs. But his dexterity is like 125 rather than say an Ogre in indicolite who will probably have 175. So that is considerably fewer procs which means you may be dpsing more than tanking :D

Bottom line is that the class is totally playable as is, but you'll have to work a little harder and min-max a little more in other areas.

Luchino
12-11-2012, 10:12 PM
ikksar warriors become arguably the best in velious. plate armour restrictions are largely removed leaving them with an AC bonus advantage

frontal stun immunity is a tough nut to crack though, there is no way to get that ogah power

get an aon :D

Itap
12-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Don't do it!

kidding :cool:

Bouncerr
12-11-2012, 11:15 PM
My opinion? no :cool:

rasik
12-16-2012, 05:04 PM
When the iksar class specific quests get finished at the end of velious, I.e greenmist (I forget the name of the final warrior pike) it will be another advantage.

As far as stats go anything melee I always put all into str, but when velious hits its pretty easy to 255 your main stats anyway.

Elements
12-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Wont warriors hit the AC cap anyway making the ac bonus from iksar a waste?

rasik
12-17-2012, 01:46 PM
No. The iksar ac bonus adds on top of the cap. So if the cap is 200 and the iksar bonus is 20 then the cup for iksar would be 220. These are not the correct numbers. Just how it works.

Ouzin
12-23-2012, 03:20 PM
When the iksar class specific quests get finished at the end of velious, I.e greenmist (I forget the name of the final warrior pike) it will be another advantage.

As far as stats go anything melee I always put all into str, but when velious hits its pretty easy to 255 your main stats anyway.

Don't believe the warrior pike gets finished till Luclin. Thus, even though it was intended for Kunark, probably will never see it on this server.

Knightt
12-23-2012, 03:56 PM
im iksar all the way

Dragonzord
12-24-2012, 05:07 PM
play iksar if you want, are you really trying to min max? seriously guys smh

CrmsnJgr
12-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Don't believe the warrior pike gets finished till Luclin. Thus, even though it was intended for Kunark, probably will never see it on this server.

Close, Luclin added the IKS BST questline, it wasn't until Gates of Discord that WAR and BST questlines were "finished"

Audacious93c
12-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Greenranger is right. Its not like this is retail EQ and you're trying to server first anything. Out of the Warrior heavy population of Project99, you cant exactly expect to walk into a guild thats doing end content and be the new main tank, either.

Play what you want, and enjoy it.

Ouzin
01-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Close, Luclin added the IKS BST questline, it wasn't until Gates of Discord that WAR and BST questlines were "finished"

Sad to. The quests were meant to be Kunark content, but the Dev's for Verant/SOE are ADD and they never got finished. Is a pimp little weapon.

Splorf22
01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
The stats are arguably better than the epic though: 14/24 with 75hp/10STA, 15AC. But the real problem is the devs just can't put a weapon in that stuns up to L61.

bizzum
01-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Yes to Iksar obviously!

You can only do up to the 5th pike, which is lame as fuck but it is how it is. Maybe with more Iksar warriors we can lobby to have at least the 7th one put in!

However, the corollary to all this is that tanking raid bosses isn't that important in Kunark, because a) there are tons of donals bps floating around and b) the bosses have 32k hp, so all the fights are short (20-40s with typical zerg numbers). Sakuragi has successfully tanked Emperor Chottal (at L53), Ixiblat Fer (at 57), and Overking Bathezid (at 60). I'm pretty sure Hakata has done Trakanon. Some of the VP dragons might be trouble perhaps.

I've tanked anything a cobalt warrior has with success, including Hoshkar and Nexona, don't let that hold you back. We're probably closer to Velious than we are far away at this point anyways, so you can get cool plate armor then!

GO TEAM IKSAR / RAMEN

demokatt
09-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Sorry for the minor bump of thread :-) SOme questions regarding iksar warriors:

1. Any advice on what to wear as lowbie 1-20 without money and contacts? Should I use same as I did on monk (Curscales) or try getting those Marauder metals?

2. Is the gain of AC from Iksar race greater than the loss of AC from not being able to wear plate? How far behind are the alternatives?

3. At what level will solo:ing be too tiresome to even try?

4. I will never have the time to get into raiding, will I still be able to have fun in smaller groups killing stuff around the world or are warriors only wanted at really high levels/raids?

5. What is the best weapon to use as lowbie if I cant find any greater ones, could I just use one of them swords that are sold for around 1 gold and a target shield, or should I gp with the pike?

khanable
09-02-2013, 08:21 AM
1) banded. Then it can be turned into Trooper Scale armor.
2) no. I'm fairly comparable to an indicolite warrior but I wear max ac items. They could easily beat us.
3) untwinked.. Hmm. I solo'd an iksar warrior on live from 1-46. Untwinked. It will be slow but it's doable.
4) consider sk? Xp penalty but you won't lose aggro. IMO better 'group' tanks. Warrior is cooler, tho. :p
5) save every bone chip you come across. This will get you your first few weapons.

Bladed thulian claws, jarsath trident, kunzar ku'juch, etc..

Splorf22
09-02-2013, 12:03 PM
In my personal opinion, you would get a lot more mileage out of a SK. Shadowknights are far more effective solo and somewhat better in groups. They also provide a nice variety of abilities as opposed to warriors who mostly press taunt/autoattack/kick. Also SKs are much less gear dependent. You can hold aggro with spells, so all you need to do is stack HP/AC for group tanking. Warriors need that and great weapons/haste. SKs are also a bit more skill based; warriors are mostly stats. Finally Iksar SKs are still quite rare if you want to play something unusual, maybe even rarer than warriors.

Personally when I made Sakuragi I had no idea that we would still be in Kunark two whole years later. It's kinda frustrating sometimes that despite being basically BiS (aside from a crown of rile and a few pieces of Sky gear which never drop) he's still behind Ogres with even medicore gear (you can browse the wiki Magelo; Sakuragi vs say Sworen is particularly depressing).

Nogdar
09-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Rule number 1 in EQ is play what you like, what is appealing to you, what sounds fun to you. If you want to be iksar, be iksar. You'll always find workarounds to game inconveniences, but there's no workaround to not liking your toon.

However, unless you're hell bent over dual wielding or something, like that... if you're certain you won't ever have the time to raid, make a paladin or a SK. While all can work to some extent in all situations, the basic rule is that warriors are superior raid tanks and sks/paladins make better group tanks. Due to having spells, they're also (more than) arguably more fun to play.

demokatt
09-03-2013, 02:23 AM
Yeah I tried a monk Iksar but I want to play something more warrior-like so SK is probably the best choice for me. I would like to wield a big sword and a shield :-)
I also like that the SK dont seem to have a myriad of spells, since I want to mainly be a tank, and they can tank and use a pet to hit?

Also, we get Invisibility at level 30? Is that enough to be able to take boat to Old world and go throught Freeport?

Nogdar
09-03-2013, 04:59 AM
If you can't afford a Circlet of Shadows (instant clicky invis at lvl 20), which is likely if this is your first toon, then invis is level 30 yeah, although you get IvU earlier. It's no biggie though, you can always snag a port to go to faydwer.

You're right in thinking SKs don't have too many spells as you have way less than the necro you're pumping em from. It's just the right mix at higher levels of a good toolbox without needing to swap spells constantly either.

As to the pet, you do have one but see it more as a dot than a pet, really. The pet is OK at lower levels, becomes utter crap mid game and is excellent at the latest levels.

If you have any questions don't doubt asking me IG if you need guidance :)

Cheers;

demokatt
09-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks alot I will do! I like the -68% exp penalty :-) Brutal!

You think the guide is right on wiki: Add 10 Strength and 10 Intelligence?

Nogdar
09-03-2013, 11:33 AM
No, I'd go for all Stamina and put the rest in DEX, INT or STR according to what you like more (procs, mana or damage/carrying weight). I could be wrong though, the call was much easier as an Ogre ;)

Splorf22
09-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Definitely stamina. SKs don't depend on dex for aggro like warriors do, and they do shit for damage so strength is pointless, and iksars will have plenty of mana without any points in INT.

demokatt
09-05-2013, 04:04 AM
Well Im level 3 now working my way up to the first spells. I bought some Curscale and Rhino armor and using one of those swords from skeleton its 6/33.

What is the best SK armor that are sold by vendors around Cabilis and that costs below 10 p?

Vamael
09-05-2013, 02:09 PM
The only reason to go + dex is for weapon procs =) makes for good pvvppp

abacab-winner
09-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Just loot a full suit

http://zam.zamimg.com/images/7/b/7ba6556e5c1d0fe4a62a4afa00d0936f.png

demokatt
09-06-2013, 03:49 AM
That look really impressive! I'm only level 3 but perhaps you could bring to me in Field of Bone? I'll give you a big warm hug (I'm female liz)!

Splorf22
09-06-2013, 01:08 PM
too bad its not in game until after velious releases