PDA

View Full Version : Scams

Rogean
10-23-2012, 02:20 PM
I have just had to tell another player they are screwed because yet again they gave their account information to someone they thought they trusted, and ended up getting a character stripped down and deleted.

Deleted characters we can restore, but they will be in the state they were when deleted. Stolen items we will not help you with. This is the internet, people have no problem stabbing eachother in the back with a friendly face.

You must not give your account information out, and in most cases we will not assist in these matters. I say in most cases because our guides have a mandate that they are in no way obligated to spend the massive amount of time it takes to track down and reverse it, nor can we always take a player's word that the actions were done maliciously. If a guide assist(s/ed) you, consider yourself lucky.. it is completely their discretion.

With that said, you should never give your password out, nor should you ever perform a trade with someone until both parties are ready with the items/currency (none of this "oh give me the item and I'll log onto my main and pay you" crap. We've been seeing an increase in this activity lately as well, sometimes the culprit even impersonating someone you may think is a friend, so be careful.)

Dirtnap
10-23-2012, 02:47 PM
I have just had to tell another player they are screwed because yet again they gave their account information to someone they thought they trusted, and ended up getting a character stripped down and deleted.

Deleted characters we can restore, but they will be in the state they were when deleted. Stolen items we will not help you with. This is the internet, people have no problem stabbing eachother in the back with a friendly face.

You must not give your account information out, and in most cases we will not assist in these matters. I say in most cases because our guides have a mandate that they are in no way obligated to spend the massive amount of time it takes to track down and reverse it, nor can we always take a player's word that the actions were done maliciously. If a guide assist(s/ed) you, consider yourself lucky.. it is completely their discretion.

With that said, you should never give your password out, nor should you ever perform a trade with someone until both parties are ready with the items/currency (none of this "oh give me the item and I'll log onto my main and pay you" crap. We've been seeing an increase in this activity lately as well, sometimes the culprit even impersonating someone you may think is a friend, so be careful.)

I am actually surprised that people are so trusting on this server. =/

heartbrand
10-23-2012, 03:32 PM
I fell victim to this shit but Sirken and Rogean were kind enough to help. It's sad really that people are so lame. I dunno maybe it's been too long, but on live I would share my info with tons of people within my guild and never once had a single fear my char would be deleted. I can only speak for the red server but I guess the type of human beings there are a special group. Never sharing info with anyone again, you shouldn't either.

Pringles
10-23-2012, 04:53 PM
You should flag the scammers accounts as red, so anyone can attack them at will. Would be fun :)

Mornin
10-23-2012, 05:07 PM

Mornin
10-23-2012, 05:08 PM
I fell victim to this shit but Sirken and Rogean were kind enough to help. It's sad really that people are so lame. I dunno maybe it's been too long, but on live I would share my info with tons of people within my guild and never once had a single fear my char would be deleted. I can only speak for the red server but I guess the type of human beings there are a special group. Never sharing info with anyone again, you shouldn't either.

lololol says dude that has stolen more gear from other players than anyone

huggies
10-23-2012, 06:56 PM
wtb tears

Cyph
10-23-2012, 09:14 PM
You should flag the scammers accounts as red, so anyone can attack them at will. Would be fun :)

A very good idea! ;)

Swish
10-23-2012, 09:41 PM

Totally agree :)

Zereh
10-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Out the scammers.

OngorDrakan
10-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Totally agree :)

Swish that gif is brutal. What's the story?

Dragonzord
10-24-2012, 12:34 PM
hmm a few people come to mind but I shall remain silent. My trolling days are over for my talents are needed elsewhere in the land of EvE. Gotta keep those Russians in check. Anyways only fools get scammed and its a lesson better learned over pixels than in RL.

Zorpa
10-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Swish that gif is brutal. What's the story?

http://www.dailydot.com/culture/tablecloth-trick-vaudeville/

I can't find it now but I saw a show or video somewhere explaining how they made the video. The entertainment center never actually fell on the kid.

Striiker
10-25-2012, 09:01 AM
On live guides would soulmark a player if the player admitted to sharing their account details. This is a note which is tied to the player's account which CSR staff could view. If that player had issues with lost or deleted items, characters etc. they were completely out of luck.
I am glad to see that the P1999 staff can and do help people with things which were never / rarely helped with on live. It is a lot of work I am sure to trace the items etc and recover them so take heed of the advice and don't trust people. It's sad but a reality of life.

Rogean
10-25-2012, 09:17 AM
On live guides would soulmark a player if the player admitted to sharing their account details. This is a note which is tied to the player's account which CSR staff could view. If that player had issues with lost or deleted items, characters etc. they were completely out of luck.
I am glad to see that the P1999 staff can and do help people with things which were never / rarely helped with on live. It is a lot of work I am sure to trace the items etc and recover them so take heed of the advice and don't trust people. It's sad but a reality of life.

Sharing accounts was against the EULA on live, so only getting a soulmark for violating that was their version of letting it slip by. Here, it's not against any rule, but you do so at your own risk.

heartbrand
10-25-2012, 10:53 AM
I was a guide during the petition era and have never heard of soulmarking for sharing info not sure about that one.

tehruoh
10-25-2012, 10:55 AM
it was there as long as i can remember

Vladigan
10-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Hello,

I is Prince of Glorious Nation. I need trustful person to help me. I have 1,000,000 plat sitting in trust account, guarded by big dum Ogres. If you can help me git it back, i will split it with you 50/50!

Here what we needs. First I needs Flowing Black Silk Sash, so i can moves like Ninja!

Then, I needs you to gets me 10,000 plat to use as bribe for bank person. Dont worries, i will add that to your share.

Please contact me ingame quick like so wes can be rich!!

Most Regrettably Honorable,

Stealin' Yosht
Level 60 Thief
Prince of Glorious Nations

Autotune
10-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Hello,

I is Prince of Glorious Nation. I need trustful person to help me. I have 1,000,000 plat sitting in trust account, guarded by big dum Ogres. If you can help me git it back, i will split it with you 50/50!

Here what we needs. First I needs Flowing Black Silk Sash, so i can moves like Ninja!

Then, I needs you to gets me 10,000 plat to use as bribe for bank person. Dont worries, i will add that to your share.

Please contact me ingame quick like so wes can be rich!!

Most Regrettably Honorable,

Stealin' Yosht
Level 60 Thief
Prince of Glorious Nations

I am Stealin and I approve of this message.

phantom
10-26-2012, 10:50 PM
It sounds like you're helping people who's accounts have been compromised. Is there any way to help people who have simple lost their passwords?

jarshale
11-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Scamming plats and lewts from clueless players was a great part of live back in the day.

Vadd
11-11-2012, 09:44 PM
lololol says dude that has stolen more gear from other players than anyone

TRUE THAT MORNIN!

Annuva God Eclu
03-25-2013, 12:18 PM
I learned my lesson in the original live kunark, i was 10 years old and somebody told me they could get 100k PP, All I had to do was give him my password. Of course seconds later I got booted off and my password changed.

It should really be expected on the internet not to trust anyone with your passwords and valuable's. Item transfering should be left in the responsibility of a real life friend or a trusted guild member.

People are people and there will always be people who try to scam there way to the top.

Cheers thanks for the post Rogean

Bamzal Sherbet
03-25-2013, 03:03 PM
I learned my lesson in the original live kunark, i was 10 years old and somebody told me they could get 100k PP, All I had to do was give him my password. Of course seconds later I got booted off and my password changed.

lol .........

i learnt my lesson by asking a guy to do an item transfer (pre-kunark) and he was long gone by the time i loaded in my alt. i lost my Skull of Jhen`Tra :(