PDA

View Full Version : Can anything be done about the low population numbers?

Autumnbow
10-10-2012, 01:11 PM
It seems like such a shame that there is this perfectly good PvP server, and I feel as though I can't play there because of the low population. I'm playing on blue just so I can find people to group with; there's no way I'm gonna start up a character on red to solo grind to 60.

diplo
10-10-2012, 01:20 PM
imo, buy a 46+ character...that's where 95% of the population and pvp are at. Should run you <50k i believe.

Autumnbow
10-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Yeah, if 95% of the population is 46+, then I really don't want to play there. Half of the fun playing live was fighting your way through those lower levels, and making friends/enemies that you grew with.

mostbitter
10-10-2012, 01:48 PM
thanks for visiting

heartbrand
10-10-2012, 02:13 PM
thanks for visiting

Dullah
10-10-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't think the question at this point is 'can anything be done', but rather would anything be done if they could.

Humerox
10-10-2012, 02:27 PM
There are lower players and alts, but you have to look for them.

If you're really serious about playing on red, we just started a new guild called "La Resistance", which will be concentrating on doing the classic content the "big 2" have forgotten.

There are only 4 or 5 of us atm, but the leadership has been on (and off) R99 since the beginning. I just recently came back myself.

It's going to be difficult to recruit. It will be difficult for our members because there won't be grouping opportunities all the time until we fill the ranks a bit. The good news is that we're all lower levels (12-23) on the mains we've picked to start our progression. We are also heavily pvp-oriented, because the anti-pk philosophy can't work on a server that has no population. We feel this hardcore PvP philosophy fits what's necessary to progress here.

Contact me as Klatuu in-game, or via PM here on the boards if you're interested. And if anyone else is interested...hit me up.

Pitborn
10-10-2012, 02:30 PM
I just finished re- levelling back from 1 to almost 50. ( Why , god ... why ) and while i can say i did get a little bit of pvp here and there, the low end pvp is pretty much non existent.

Hard to say how much happens at the high end also. Oh Yellow Text, Where Art Thou?!

Autumnbow
10-10-2012, 02:55 PM
There are lower players and alts, but you have to look for them.

If you're really serious about playing on red, we just started a new guild called "La Resistance", which will be concentrating on doing the classic content the "big 2" have forgotten.

There are only 4 or 5 of us atm, but the leadership has been on (and off) R99 since the beginning. I just recently came back myself.

It's going to be difficult to recruit. It will be difficult for our members because there won't be grouping opportunities all the time until we fill the ranks a bit. The good news is that we're all lower levels (12-23) on the mains we've picked to start our progression. We are also heavily pvp-oriented, because the anti-pk philosophy can't work on a server that has no population. We feel this hardcore PvP philosophy fits what's necessary to progress here.

Contact me as Klatuu in-game, or via PM here on the boards if you're interested. And if anyone else is interested...hit me up.

This sounds a little enticing, but I just can't dedicate my time to a server that will never be able to provide a decent population. Can't pvp people that aren't around, and at least on blue there is a healthy population for pve and making friends. I realize this is a catch-22, and I really miss EQ pvp (best gaming experience of my life), but I think it's about time to realize that it is dead, and gone :(

Rushmore
10-10-2012, 02:58 PM
where is samwise when you need him

Pitborn
10-10-2012, 02:59 PM
It's not dead and gone, there is a LARGE population of people who love EQ PVP.

They just need a server with a realistic approach.

I will give credit where it is due tho, r99 is pretty rock solid all things considered.

Autumnbow
10-10-2012, 03:03 PM
What would be a more realistic approach?

Pitborn
10-10-2012, 03:12 PM
1.Even though the XP has been boosted , doing it MUCH sooner would have retained a higher number of people. I can tell you that most people i do know that played here who quit, did so because of the XP grind being too harsh to match RL time to play.

2. Not to keep rehashing "Compass-Gate" but even if it only took 2 seconds to turn that off, it's 2 seconds they could have used to turn on Yellow Text. YT would at least show people " Yes, pvP happens here! " and maybe remind all the bloobs who set up shop here, that it is indeed a pvp server.

3. Clean up the staff and insert people who actually care about the server and not E-peen status or how to make a few bucks off RMTs. I like Sirken personally and think he can be good for the box.

done for now....

Rushmore
10-10-2012, 03:15 PM
1.Even though the XP has been boosted , doing it MUCH sooner would have retained a higher number of people. I can tell you that most people i do know that played here who quit, did so because of the XP grind being too harsh to match RL time to play.

2. Not to keep rehashing "Compass-Gate" but even if it only took 2 seconds to turn that off, it's 2 seconds they could have used to turn on Yellow Text. YT would at least show people " Yes, pvP happens here! " and maybe remind all the bloobs who set up shop here, that it is indeed a pvp server.

3. Clean up the staff and insert people who actually care about the server and not E-peen status or how to make a few bucks off RMTs. I like Sirken personally and think he can be good for the box.

done for now....

supposedly there was some big project in the works.... wonder how long before we see something

Cwall
10-10-2012, 03:27 PM
indefinitely

Tsak
10-10-2012, 04:27 PM
OP, I'm leveling in Crushbone atm, and upto 9. PM if interested and will help each other out. Would be cool to have duomate. :D

Lucky
10-10-2012, 06:08 PM
imo, buy a 46+ character...that's where 95% of the population and pvp are at. Should run you <large 2 topping pizza i believe.

mitic
10-10-2012, 06:11 PM
it's easy, blue nakid server xfers.

lots if smaller guilds burned out there not being able to compete highend content with the FTE rule

runlvlzero
10-10-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm going back to my original trolling gonna say the community is fine, the game is not sustainable beyond nostalgia though. Not without some crazy changes, then you might as well code your own client/server and build your own zones/database for items at that point.

At least for me, I find myself spending too much time to catch up and when I finally do the joy of "catching up" is gone and I fall asleep at the keyboard waiting for stuff to happen.

Super fast xp == bad (no joy in the path to level 60)
old/broken mechanics for classics sake = bad (to many exploits)
poor balance and punished classes = bad (why play a ranger when you can level a necro and a war with uber gear in half the time it would take to get a ranger to 50, then most likely outdamage the ranger with epics and triple attack as a war)

Thats just 3 small things. But the list can go on and on with this game.

Rogean did an awesome job on the database and making the titanium client more "classic like". but... The classic experience is never to be had. Might as well wipe the drawing board clean and invest all the time into a much better updated game with the same depth and "feel" but new tech and less bugs.

Just what I feel like. I'm gonna go back to doing other things till that game comes out or I feel "nostalgia" again.

bamzal
10-10-2012, 09:16 PM
lemme know what u find. everything else gets boring after 1 day

Sigleaf
10-10-2012, 11:34 PM
OP you should check your messages, I sent you one a few days ago.

I just started playing on Red about 2 weeks ago and I am now a lvl 37 shaman. I suggest you play a class that can solo decently well and use that to then eventually gear out a class that you want to do. That is what I am doing because I would never start a rogue on a server with nothing.....

As for population, I have seen groups here and there, best thing to do is to find a buddy or two who play about the same as you and stick with them. Ive consistently lvled with a enchanter and monk around my lvl that I have had a blast with. Pvp is there and I have had a few good PK's but I know the majority of it occurs in the end game but isn't that the point???

I love the EQ adventure as well, and with 75% xp bonus it seems about perfect but don't get me wrong, playing a hybrid starting with nothing is next to impossible. Play your cards right, start with the right class, find a good guild (PS flowers will gladly have you) and work your way to the end game goals. This servers population has only been going up since I started playing with peak times being 60 two weeks ago and just yesterday I saw 82 at around 10 pm my time.

Good luck and feel free to message me in game!

Kevynne
10-11-2012, 01:35 AM
OP you should check your messages, I sent you one a few days ago.

I just started playing on Red about 2 weeks ago and I am now a lvl 37 shaman. I suggest you play a class that can solo decently well and use that to then eventually gear out a class that you want to do. That is what I am doing because I would never start a rogue on a server with nothing.....

As for population, I have seen groups here and there, best thing to do is to find a buddy or two who play about the same as you and stick with them. Ive consistently lvled with a enchanter and monk around my lvl that I have had a blast with. Pvp is there and I have had a few good PK's but I know the majority of it occurs in the end game but isn't that the point???

I love the EQ adventure as well, and with 75% xp bonus it seems about perfect but don't get me wrong, playing a hybrid starting with nothing is next to impossible. Play your cards right, start with the right class, find a good guild (PS flowers will gladly have you) and work your way to the end game goals. This servers population has only been going up since I started playing with peak times being 60 two weeks ago and just yesterday I saw 82 at around 10 pm my time.

Good luck and feel free to message me in game!

this bitch pks and coins his guildies >_<

Sigleaf
10-11-2012, 01:36 AM
this bitch pks and coins his guildies >_<

Only the annoying enchanters :D

Kevynne
10-11-2012, 01:38 AM
Only the annoying enchanters :D
dick <3

Smedy
10-11-2012, 02:25 AM
pop is growing but at a veeeery low phase, they really need to take this chance to increase exp and or reduce the leveling time from 1-50 cuz no one gives a shit about that part of the game.

a bump in the magic resist curve is needed to and yellow text, lets do this

Sigleaf
10-11-2012, 02:28 AM
Could try 150% scaling experience starting at 150% at lvl one and ending at 75% at lvl 50 but it would still not solve the issue of gear that first time meele characters have issues with, but hey, something better then nothing.

Smedy
10-11-2012, 02:39 AM
I saw this, who was booted? Not to many shits given, laughed about the fact that someone told HB we left fear because he came and took charge, which wasn't really the case, most euros left cuz they got jobs and the time was due to leave anyways.

Cast and Fiegi working HARD to keep the pop down amuses me, i love you guys

EDIT:

Also why don't i have you nigs on aim no more, i added you with my new aim account but got snubbed, plz 2 add me dawgs on aim smedy at jonnyeriksson dot com

Furniture
10-11-2012, 02:59 AM
the problem is that there isnt enough interest in classic eq in general for 2 classic servers to have a decent population

Sigleaf
10-11-2012, 03:05 AM
the problem is that there isnt enough interest in classic eq in general for 2 classic servers to have a decent population

can't expect people on pvp to want to play blue, also can't expect blue to want to play manly pvp.....

Nirgon
10-11-2012, 04:12 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-P6qhJfznwFo/TzGayy2iB0I/AAAAAAAAIBs/kqw1ZCzoG1M/s1600/toilet.jpg

Dullah
10-11-2012, 06:26 AM
I'm starting to think Nirgon is bitter he isn't part of the only EQ pvp server thats even close to legit.

Just take the leap dude, or let it go. I've resigned myself from begging for staff to put more time in a server they obviously have no time or willingness to commit to further.

JayDee
10-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Dear Smedy, what are your thoughts on this:

only read last line. deemed worthy post

RoguePhantom
10-11-2012, 08:03 AM
HeartBrand.

Most Epic Person EVER to have graced this box. He makes Jesus look like a fucking twat.

heartbrand
10-11-2012, 10:01 AM
you cropped rushmore into a discussion about maniaco because you have a hardon for rushmore, and you cropped the ya thing about red dawn @ the end, but /shrug. I stand by everything in that. btw, bad players make up the % of most guilds, (consequently it's always the worst players who are the nicest), it's always the top that do everything in guilds while all the mouth breathers afk auto attack, welcome to EQ. best part of that quote is no one knows if they are in the 15% or the 85%.

Cwall
10-11-2012, 10:37 AM
i am the 1%

huggies
10-11-2012, 11:46 AM
huggies is top 5% bros

shit just got real

Dantes
10-11-2012, 11:49 AM

Yep. During live there were what? 12-15 servers? And 2 dedicated to pvp. Percentage wise, the population here is about the same.

kprobe
10-11-2012, 12:42 PM
The only thing that can be done is lowering barrier of entry (1-50) even more (think 200%) and then let the leveling continue classic 51-60. You can pvp pretty much anyone in that range, join in on the raiding fun/etc.

But... tbh a lot of people are burned out, you'd need to see a big influx of population to swing things around.

Was fun while it lasted, like most I peek in every now and then to see whats happening.