PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Flash of Light causes fleeing mobs to warp uncontrolably.

Noudess
10-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Use flash of light on a mob. If the mob flees, it proceeds to warp over and over again. Completely duplicatable.

Ambrotos
10-09-2012, 11:50 PM
It has an effect like fear on NPCs. It was changed in the past to act this way.

Noudess
10-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Yes, but warping - I mean pathing the same path over and over. Walk take 5 steps, WARP back to start - repeat.

The warping part intentional? Just makes it very hard to finish off - as you chase and it warps..

kaev
10-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Since the last patch (or maybe two patches back) something similar occurs occasionally with non-blinded mobs. The client shows the mob fleeing in a particular direction, after a few steps the mob will warp to a position the fits with it fleeing in a direction 90-180 degrees different from the mob's facing. This will repeat until you root the mob or kill it with ranged attack (very difficult to get melee damage, basicly you have to be waiting at the warp-to loc and swing when the client & server sync the mob location.)

Seems likely to me that this is the same thing the OP is seeing with Flash of Light (I quit using Flash of Light some time ago because of bizarre pathing/aggro shit creating trains when engaged mobs would take off running because somebody not at the top of the aggro list happened to move to a location with bugged pathing.)

Noudess
10-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Since the last patch (or maybe two patches back) something similar occurs occasionally with non-blinded mobs. The client shows the mob fleeing in a particular direction, after a few steps the mob will warp to a position the fits with it fleeing in a direction 90-180 degrees different from the mob's facing. This will repeat until you root the mob or kill it with ranged attack (very difficult to get melee damage, basicly you have to be waiting at the warp-to loc and swing when the client & server sync the mob location.)

Seems likely to me that this is the same thing the OP is seeing with Flash of Light (I quit using Flash of Light some time ago because of bizarre pathing/aggro shit creating trains when engaged mobs would take off running because somebody not at the top of the aggro list happened to move to a location with bugged pathing.)

Sounds the same to me.

Nirgon
10-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Depends where you flash of light the mob.

It can be dangerous spell to use if someone isn't right up against it always.

Heebo
10-10-2012, 11:40 AM
This warping its also happening with undead mobs being fear kited. Everything goes smoothly until the mob hits flee health (even though they're undead and don't flee). They will warp forward in their current direction, turn and warp again. This will continue as long as it's still feared until it dies.

kaev
10-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Depends where you flash of light the mob.

It can be dangerous spell to use if someone isn't right up against it always.

Try reading my post again. It can be dangerous to use even if the char on top of the hate list is on top of the mob along with a couple other melees high up the hate list. Weird shit happens with blinded mobs when anybody on the hate list moves to a position that mob can't path directly to, apparently due to screwiness in the pathing behavior that usually (but not always) involves sloped terrain.

Reptak
10-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I noticed this behavior with the same patch that made NPCs slooowly turn to flee. If I fear the mob as it is turning, but not yet fully turned, I get this warping. Probably the same thing.

Its as if the client sees it going in one direction, but the server thinks the turn was completed. So when the client gets updated, it warps to that spot, but then continues in the direction the client thinks it is pointed in.

Brandonian10
06-20-2013, 06:14 PM
I can confirm that this is still a problem. If a mob gets to the point of fleeing and flash of light has not yet worn off, it will start teleporting all over the place (not like fear at all). Starting to become a serious hassle for my paladin and his groups.

kaos057
06-20-2013, 09:11 PM
I have seen npc's just normally walking like this. The client thinks its going one way but serverside its going a different direction. Every time the server ticks it warps it back to where it should be but doesn't update the client with its actual direction.

xcyberpeenixx
07-08-2013, 01:51 AM
Bump
, This is still an issue and its SUCKS for Paladins trying to hold aggro and to simply make use of a versatile spell. Is there any speak of fixing this or???

When in their face it grabs aggro, if you dare step back the mob goes crazy and paths all over the place, when the mob is reduced to "run away" mode it starts the same thing in a awkward warping motion. Completely broken.

Brandonian10
07-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Bump
, This is still an issue and its SUCKS for Paladins trying to hold aggro and to simply make use of a versatile spell. Is there any speak of fixing this or???

When in their face it grabs aggro, if you dare step back the mob goes crazy and paths all over the place, when the mob is reduced to "run away" mode it starts the same thing in a awkward warping motion. Completely broken.

It is supposed to run all over the place when you step back; the fear effect is working as intended.

Even the issue with caster aggro causing warping can be worked around by just spamming flash of light to hold aggro (costs some mana but you won't get your group killed).

However, the warping at flee health is definitely a bug; it is also worsened by the fact that if you are spamming flash of light to keep casters in your group from getting aggro, the fight will most likely end with the mob still blinded (causing the flee warping). Sadly, working around one bug just leads you to encounter another.

Pro paladin tip: if you ever see your blinded mob start moving in any way, immediately start casting root...

AexDestroy
07-09-2013, 12:38 AM
Flash of light always had a fear effect, but is supposed to be cancelled when they come within proximity of a person.

What happens here is if you flash a mob while he is outside of melee range, he will start to run, and EVEN IF you engage him in melee, the mob will slowly warp away from you in the direction he was running. Even though it fights with you, every second or so it warps another few feet away and doesn't stop until the spell wears off.

Splorf22
07-09-2013, 03:08 AM
I've had this happen and its extremely annoying. Again, its not just a fear, its some sort of strange moonwalk almost.

xcyberpeenixx
07-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Yeah I know how the spell is supposed to work. The fear like run away is fine but it doesn't run, it warps around causing problems.

Clearly everyone is aware of the issue which is awesome, so the next question is, has it been addressed or will it be. Anyone know?

Kender
07-09-2013, 06:54 PM
exactly. if they only ran it's be ok, you could chase them. but they dont. they warp, walk a few paces, then warp again. sometimes the only way to kill them is root/snare or nuking them down

p-niner
07-10-2013, 12:57 PM
This could be unrelated and warrant its own bug thread, but I think it might be linked to the warping/blind issue.

Sometimes when this phenom is happening and the mobs are low hp fleeing and moonwalking they are still fighting back. Not fleeing at all just walking backwards skipping and attacking.

p-niner
07-10-2013, 02:56 PM
This could be unrelated and warrant its own bug thread, but I think it might be linked to the warping/blind issue.

Sometimes when this phenom is happening and the mobs are low hp fleeing and moonwalking they are still fighting back. Not fleeing at all just walking backwards skipping and attacking.

Freeport guards in open area near merchant (Linanen?) Pally blind

kaev
07-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Personally I hope they fix this spell to be as useless as it was on live before they even look at the pathing problem. FoL was crap there then, and should be crap here now. Minimal agro when it wore off, short variable duration, often wore off before you could even recast it, notably worse than root even if you had a couple fools with a crap dd procs and a wiz who refused to wait to cast. It was plain and simple a recipe for getting your healers and cloth casters pummelled.

captincrust
07-23-2013, 09:52 AM
bump. Blind causes warping still. Pally aggro is impossibly hard without blind

xcyberpeenixx
07-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Bump. Flash of light still balls to the walls broken. It would be kinda nice to have it work as intended ;).

I haven't heard any response or acknowledgement from a dev or anyone for that matter that this issue is being addressed in anyway. Anyone know yet if it actually is er?

Kender
07-23-2013, 07:13 PM
still broken but pallies have 2 solutions.

stun will stop them hopefully long enough to hit them and reduce their flee speed
other alternative is to root them in place

neither are ideal and they are a waste of mana (and HP in the case of root) especially when soloing, but at least you can catch and kill the mob before it gets you into more trouble

Kender
07-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Personally I hope they fix this spell to be as useless as it was on live before they even look at the pathing problem. FoL was crap there then, and should be crap here now. Minimal agro when it wore off, short variable duration, often wore off before you could even recast it, notably worse than root even if you had a couple fools with a crap dd procs and a wiz who refused to wait to cast. It was plain and simple a recipe for getting your healers and cloth casters pummelled.

if they reduce the agro on FoL then they need to bump the stun agro. pallies used to stun agro all the time on live but here it barely keeps pace

kanras
07-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Fixed warping, pending update.

AexDestroy
07-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Fixed warping, pending update.

Woot!

xcyberpeenixx
08-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Bump. Any updates?

dethbringre
09-26-2013, 12:05 AM
I'm also have this issue on Red currently and I've noticed that while the mob is fleeing/warping you cannot attack with melee.. At least I haven't been able to get a hit off on one.. Not sure if you can hit them with spells or not, haven't gotten high enough in lvls for that yet..