PDA

View Full Version : EQOA style UI

Bumblebeard
09-23-2012, 11:02 PM
For anyone who used to play EQOA, or those looking for a more immersive experience.

This is an arrangement of the default UI. It's the closest to the UI of EQOA I feel I can get. I like the simplicity of it and I think it makes good use of space without feeling clunky. Buffbar is at the top of screen, forgot to cast a buff.
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8733/eq000029.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/eq000029.png/)

This setup allows a field of view with nothing in the way, including names removed, very immersive. Some of the UI elements are overlapping eachother to make it look nice, so it works a lot better if you don't mouse click hotkeys/spells as it will bring the rest of that layer to the top. I'm going to use this setup with a keymapped 360 controller and the keypad attachment. Arranged using the Haeldar UI mod.
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3527/eq000031.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/eq000031.png/)

orsk
09-24-2012, 12:28 PM
I have always had issues with really liking a UI, i may try this one out

OngorDrakan
10-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Never played but I think it's great you made this.

Bumblebeard
10-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Haeldar UI is the best Titanium UI regardless of how you arrange it.

Agreed, I have since made quite a few other setups with it that I like way more than this one, though EQOA style will always carry intense nostalgia for me

KefkaPalazzo
10-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Nice UI, btw <Nihilum> is looking for more dedicated raiders on Red.

Sajun
10-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Thanks for this! We may never get to play eqoa again (might still be possible someday) but it's at least nice to enjoy certain elements of it again. =)

skorge
10-29-2012, 11:04 AM
I played EQOA too (was first 50 on Hodstock)...good job on the UI.

Hailto
10-31-2012, 04:32 PM
How do you coordinate anything in a game that doesn't even have a keyboard/voicecom? That would be terrible, especially in a MMO.

Diggles
10-31-2012, 06:02 PM
IIRC there was voicecomm and you could just plug a USB keyboard into the ps2

Bumblebeard
11-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Yeah most people used a USB keyboard, but the controller actually had a good amount of simple phrases for communicating, and you could make your own. There was an in game keyboard to type with if you didn't have an external one, was a bit of a pain but better than nothing.

I edited my original post with the two latest UI arrangements I've made, one for EQOA and one for immersion.

Tazzak
11-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Yeah most people used a USB keyboard, but the controller actually had a good amount of simple phrases for communicating, and you could make your own. There was an in game keyboard to type with if you didn't have an external one, was a bit of a pain but better than nothing.

I edited my original post with the two latest UI arrangements I've made, one for EQOA and one for immersion.

That looks cool, can I have the download links to this and/or how you did it and how you set it up for your xbox 360 controller?

Bumblebeard
11-10-2012, 11:49 PM
That looks cool, can I have the download links to this and/or how you did it and how you set it up for your xbox 360 controller?

For the first UI, it's the standard UI arranged how you see it, with everything else removed/faded, and tint colors changed. Group window normal visibility is set to 0. Some corner bits are off screen to make it more simple and nice.

For the second UI download this and follow the steps to install it.

Haeldar UI
http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=4733
Choose no stats player window and the lower resolution. My display resolution is 1152 x 864 cause I have a square monitor, so I'm not sure if the UI elements would be different sizes for other resolutions.

It takes some careful overlapping to get it the way it is on my screen, but if you like it and don't mouseclick hotkeys I think it's worth it. Group window overlaps the numbers on end of player window, and they both overlap the bottom edge of the spell/hotbar windows. First hotbar window overlaps end of spell window cause the 9th slot doesn't work with the UI. Second hotbar overlaps the scroll of the first hotbar. Chat window overlaps the scroll and last 2 slots of the second hotbar and a bit of the group window. Turn buff bar invis and place the buff words in the health bar/mana bar. Turn off player/npc names.

I don't actually have the controller yet, but it's going to be a wired 360 one with the keyboard attachment. I'm going to use a third party keymapping program called Pinnacle gaming software. There's a 30 day trial if you want to try it. Other programs I know of are xpadder and motionjoy. The keys are mapped to be similar to EQOA controls and I'm going to use it with the EQOA UI likely.

Mapping
Left analog - move forward, move backward, strafe left, strafe right.
Right analog - look up, look down, turn left, turn right.
A - attack
X - consider
Y - target self
B - cancel target
Left analog click - crouch
Right analog click - jump
Left shoulder button - Target nearest NPC
Right shoulder button - Target nearest PC
D-pad - hotkeys 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 (hotkeys 1 and 2 wont be visible, I'll move the hotbar up so the top is off the screen)
Left trigger - hotbar 1
Right trigger - hotbar 2
Back button - hotbar 3
Start button - hotbar 4

Tazzak
11-11-2012, 09:00 AM
For the first UI, it's the standard UI arranged how you see it, with everything else removed/faded, and tint colors changed. Group window normal visibility is set to 0. Some corner bits are off screen to make it more simple and nice.

For the second UI download this and follow the steps to install it.

Haeldar UI
http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=4733
Choose no stats player window and the lower resolution. My display resolution is 1152 x 864 cause I have a square monitor, so I'm not sure if the UI elements would be different sizes for other resolutions.

It takes some careful overlapping to get it the way it is on my screen, but if you like it and don't mouseclick hotkeys I think it's worth it. Group window overlaps the numbers on end of player window, and they both overlap the bottom edge of the spell/hotbar windows. First hotbar window overlaps end of spell window cause the 9th slot doesn't work with the UI. Second hotbar overlaps the scroll of the first hotbar. Chat window overlaps the scroll and last 2 slots of the second hotbar and a bit of the group window. Turn buff bar invis and place the buff words in the health bar/mana bar. Turn off player/npc names.

I don't actually have the controller yet, but it's going to be a wired 360 one with the keyboard attachment. I'm going to use a third party keymapping program called Pinnacle gaming software. There's a 30 day trial if you want to try it. Other programs I know of are xpadder and motionjoy. The keys are mapped to be similar to EQOA controls and I'm going to use it with the EQOA UI likely.

Mapping
Left analog - move forward, move backward, strafe left, strafe right.
Right analog - look up, look down, turn left, turn right.
A - attack
X - consider
Y - target self
B - cancel target
Left analog click - crouch
Right analog click - jump
Left shoulder button - Target nearest NPC
Right shoulder button - Target nearest PC
D-pad - hotkeys 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 (hotkeys 1 and 2 wont be visible, I'll move the hotbar up so the top is off the screen)
Left trigger - hotbar 1
Right trigger - hotbar 2
Back button - hotbar 3
Start button - hotbar 4

Thanks, I might just have to do this!

Hollywood
11-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Appreciate you doing this.

As for the EQOA layout, yes it was well designed for a gamepad, second only to FFXI.
I had quite a few text macros and would fly through them without even looking.

After quitting it some years ago, I managed to get it to work on a computer through PS2 emulator last year and played for about four hours. Sadly that was the day Sony had their hacked issue and after that I never went back.

As for using a controller, a program like KeyPadder, Logitech Wingman or XB360 Emulator would work with any UI in EQ, you just have to set it up.
The good news is that for the average person soloing or basic grouping, you will have enough buttons (since EQ is not a heavy hotbutton game) to go around.

Joeyo1471
06-30-2013, 07:54 PM
If you could, a youtube video? It's Tazzak, on a different account.