PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons and Dragons

Hasbinlulz
09-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Are any of you mmo nerds tabletop nerds too?

Klendathu
09-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Been in a game for about 2 months now, it's great! First time playing in about 20 years. Had to beg the DM to use 2nd edition rules, cause the rest of us are about the same age and also haven't played in about 20 years. No THAC0 anymore? WTF is that? lol

Swish
09-25-2012, 08:39 PM
D&D is f[]ked since Wizards of the Coast got their hands on it.

There's no intention to run a system that works fully, but to keep releasing 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 etc ... and the D&D community will just buy moar books, MOAR books!

The problem is the fans will complain that something is broken, so WOTC will listen all attentively (knowing already), make changes and then quite happily release another ruleset breaking/screwing with things that were perfectly fine and leaving another trail of destruction while planting trees elsewhere to fix what they knew was bad to begin with.

(I'm not bitter, I'm not...)

Same goes for things like FIFA 10, 11, 12... just release an updated transfer list and let us get on with it. Ohhh no, £40 please, annually!

EDIT: ...and don't get me started with Games Workshop :(

Hasbinlulz
09-29-2012, 02:11 PM
I got given like 30 4e books and 200 minis, so cost is not an issue. I kind of like 4e so far, coming from 1e (mainly) and 2e back in the dizzy. Also I am making terrain tiles which are kinda cool.

Goofier
09-29-2012, 04:20 PM
What, no OE? Eldrich Wizardry and whatnot?
Think I still have some Judge's Guild stuff in a box...
Does Zocchi's still exist?

Tarathiel
09-29-2012, 04:24 PM
i played AD&D for the first time when i was like 10, moved on to 3rd edition in highschool. havent played too much these days due to lack of interested players unfortunately

Hasbinlulz
10-01-2012, 11:40 PM
I just bought some zocchis online, got some ugly dice and the mocha set and a pearled set.. I really like the contrast between them and the chessex dice in my bag.

Hasbinlulz
10-01-2012, 11:41 PM
http://www.gamescience.com/

Hasbinlulz
10-02-2012, 12:15 AM
i played AD&D for the first time when i was like 10, moved on to 3rd edition in highschool. havent played too much these days due to lack of interested players unfortunately
Whill Whheaton is bringing it back singlehandedly yo.

MrSparkle001
10-02-2012, 01:42 AM
It's been like 15 years since I've played, and it was 2nd edition rules. I really have no desire to play it again.

Knuckle
10-02-2012, 12:07 PM
It's been like 15 years since I've played, and it was 2nd edition rules. I really have no desire to play it again.

it was a fun game, everyone is just a bunch of unimaginitive, inhibitied, cynical assholes too busy playing min/max in the pixel worlds.

Soleryn
10-02-2012, 12:36 PM
I played Magic a few times after some friends gave me some decks and started teaching me about 10-15 years ago. Is that the same kind of game and is talking about Magic like bringing up WoW in an EQ fanboy thread? Never played the D&D stuff. I probably would have gotten into it more but a few of us moved apart shortly after they introduced it to me. Still got the decks though lol.

Goofier
10-02-2012, 12:47 PM
I played Magic a few times after some friends gave me some decks and started teaching me about 10-15 years ago. Is that the same kind of game and is talking about Magic like bringing up WoW in an EQ fanboy thread? Never played the D&D stuff. I probably would have gotten into it more but a few of us moved apart shortly after they introduced it to me. Still got the decks though lol.

Close.
Bringing up Magic in a D&D thread is like pulling out your finger at a gunfight and saying 'Bang, I got you'.

username17
10-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I played every week for about a year. Took a 6 month break and now I play a 6ish hour game once a month.

This was all on 4E.
I imagine 4E is like WoW to us EQers for those of you who played previous editions.
I had never played DND before so I have nothing compare it to.

The DM has a TON of Minis and tiles. He pre-plans everything has the tiles setup. I really enjoy it.
Been thinking about looking into another DND game to play more often with another group of people.

Goofier
10-02-2012, 01:09 PM
http://www.gamescience.com/

Not sure how many I still have in my old box o' dice...
Used to have the gems in red and gold, painted with the opposite color.
Also had the blue, with a pale blue paint, very cool looking.

Barkingturtle
10-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Played D&D and a multitude of other table-top games throughout the nineties. That's what got me into EQ, originally--the idea that I could play D&D with thousands of people, all at once.

More recently my wife and I would drive up to Rochester, Minnesota once a month to play with some friends who work at the Mayo Clinic. Was a fun campaign, with seven or eight of us most sessions, but our DM's wife just got a little overbearing and finally my wife got pissed off and that was just the end of it.

The last time we played was about a year ago and the two of us rolled characters emulating He-Man and She-Ra. That was good times and I should probably finish my map of Snake Mountain so we can progress further.

Slave
10-02-2012, 09:29 PM
http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q661/P99man/omgnerd_zpsd8054980.jpg

Because AD&D is elegant, fast, mysterious, and awesome. It is the reason why Dungeons and Dragons became so popular, showing its roots in exciting wargaming.

I just bought most of this in the last 2 months, because I'm running A GODDAMN CAMPAIGN WOOOO!! Not easy to get anymore, these are collector's items and the ones in really good condition are bound to keep increasing in value.

Nobody wants the convoluted ridiculousness of 4th ed. I could not see running even a medium-sized combat with the kind of numbers and abilities they use. AD&D is the version that most connoisseurs of RPGs will use, for extremely good reason.

Slave
10-02-2012, 09:33 PM
I played every week for about a year. Took a 6 month break and now I play a 6ish hour game once a month.

This was all on 4E.
I imagine 4E is like WoW to us EQers for those of you who played previous editions.
I had never played DND before so I have nothing compare it to.

I'm surprised a 4E player has enough self-awareness to realize an awesome truth like this! Heh heh.

Slave
10-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Also, nude demon girls.

Knuckle
10-03-2012, 12:17 AM
I've got the complete 2nd edition DM, Players, and Monster manual, man i would LOVE to find a group to game with again. had a couple 100 pewter figurines, lots of notebooks with campaign ideas and worlds.

Hasbinlulz
10-04-2012, 04:37 AM
I played and DM'd in AD&D for about three years before 2e started coming out.. 2e rulebooks worked really well with AD&D books, so there was an easy transition. I then discovered Teh Ladeez, and gave up on RPG for a bit. Then I discovered MuDs, and was liek "fuk chicks, play muds." And then Everquast. That brings us to now, when I've been given all this 4e shit. I've played exactly 1 game of 4e and now I've DM'd 1 as well. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. Coming out of the AD&D tradition, at first, I was nonplussed by the lack of restrictions on characters; the system seems very open ended. I started by implementing old school stat reqs and race reqs for characters, but found that stat reqs dont make sense the way they used to, and have decided that race reqs bring enough of the oldschool back. I also really miss THAC0, but I have to admit the simplicity of the defenses system is nice. In all, I have found 4e almost runs itself if you do the setup work, and even in my very first run through, I didn't have to consult a single book during play.

Shit is serious now too, coz I'm straight up idiotic crafting dioramas and 2.5d dungeon tiles.

Hasbinlulz
10-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Also, you can't be tiefling or dragonborn or a shifter or anything else stupid in my campaign. That is all.

Frieza_Prexus
10-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I've been known to roll dice on occasion.

Frieza_Prexus
10-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Top table is 6'X4' Bottom is 4'X3'

Barkingturtle
10-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I came.

Frieza_Prexus
10-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Anyone ever play SpellJammer?

So my crowning achievement is my model spell jammer. It was the center piece of an epic 3.5 campaign that lasted from level one to the low 20's and about 5 or 6 years. The entire thing was built within the rules and using the wealth accumulated by the party. I consider it a point of pride that it was fully stated within the rules. the whole ship was in the 28mm scale, or meant for use with 1" D&D minis. It's getting a bit old so the wood's starting to warp and I've taken out some of the accessories for use in other games.

Here the Cliff's Notes:

Xathrean Magocracy Ship: Daedalus

Steel Chassis Magically hardened
Adamantine Innerwalls
Epic Mythallar Spell: Xao's Aegis
Arrointed Spells: Any dimensional Travel w/o Xao's leave
The entire Ship is proof against Transmutation
Proofed against divination
Magically levitated Fortress. Propulsion 2 Coldfire engines providing 40mph max speed.
Air Tight.
Multiple decanters of endless water and bottles of air that provide increased maneuverability.
Bunch of other stuff I forgot.

Crew Complement: ~34. Most are follows of a 23rd level cleric with the leadership feat and a 24 charisma w/ the feat: Extra Followers. At any given time it's manned by ~15 warlocks of 3-5th level who have taken eldritch spear so the ship can broadside for about 15d6 every round at a range of 250'. wands of fireball are also stocked for additional firepower. The rest consists of clerics and support crew. The captain: Hikaru Sulu is a ~9th level marshall.

Frieza_Prexus
10-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Photobomb
Docking bay, engineering, sick bay, storage, etc.

Every single painted mini/accessory has a defined purpose within the 3.5 rules. Example, the bottles on the bottom deck are the decanters of endless water. I did the math a while back on how much power/gallons per second they can output, but I don't know what I did with it.

Goofier
10-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Nah, for naval architecture, one simply must refer to the authoritative supplement...

http://www.trollandtoad.com/images/products/pictures/156731.jpg

Slave
10-04-2012, 06:36 PM
the bottles on the bottom deck are the decanters of endless water. I did the math a while back on how much power/gallons per second they can output, but I don't know what I did with it.

Turning turbines for limitless magical power generation?

Frieza_Prexus
10-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Turning turbines for limitless magical power generation?

Not quite. The campaign has no electrical knowledge, and so all "technology" was magical in nature. The water is essentially used to improve the ships maneuverability during turns, and to fight forest fires I suppose.

Kevlar
10-04-2012, 06:52 PM
D&D is f[]ked since Wizards of the Coast got their hands on it.

There's no intention to run a system that works fully, but to keep releasing 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 etc ... and the D&D community will just buy moar books, MOAR books!

The problem is the fans will complain that something is broken, so WOTC will listen all attentively (knowing already), make changes and then quite happily release another ruleset breaking/screwing with things that were perfectly fine and leaving another trail of destruction while planting trees elsewhere to fix what they knew was bad to begin with.

(I'm not bitter, I'm not...)

Same goes for things like FIFA 10, 11, 12... just release an updated transfer list and let us get on with it. Ohhh no, £40 please, annually!

EDIT: ...and don't get me started with Games Workshop :(

Sounds like the Games Workshop sales model.

Soleryn
10-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Damn, looks like I've been playing the wrong games.

ShadowWulf
10-05-2012, 09:28 AM
I Play D&D, and then some.
DM for 25+ years.

http://imgur.com/a/2C1t0

YouTube Link of my projector setup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDWtaI1MDNw&feature=youtu.be&hd=1)

Hasbinlulz
10-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Wow you guys are nerds! :D

Check out some of this 2.5d terrain I've been building out of trash:

http://imgur.com/a/7owcE#0

KefkaPalazzo
10-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Wow you guys are nerds! :D

Check out some of this 2.5d terrain I've been building out of trash:

http://imgur.com/a/7owcE#0

damn virgins lol

Hasbinlulz
10-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Virgiiiiiiiins .. till the daaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy .. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeee eeeEEEEEEEE ..

Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hasbinlulz
10-11-2012, 11:52 AM
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/haOys7E2Zbo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/haOys7E2Zbo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>