PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start here on red.

Peekae
09-14-2012, 10:04 PM
I know red has been hurting for numbers but i believe it has a lot of potential so i wish to start playing here.

I feel the blue endgame is just too stale.

Just with the numbers so low a have a couple questions. Is it possible for group reliant classes to find groups etc to level (looking at possibly a rogue).

Also what are the most needed classes? I assume there is a plethora of shamans / druids / necros so kinda curious about the needs of other classes.

mindsculptor
09-14-2012, 10:16 PM
grouping can be tough at lower levels, most of the population is is high level. From my perspective the classes in short supply are rogues, mages, rangers(but who needs them anyway!) and maybe monks(although I think it is everyone's new twink).

I made fun of rangers but track sort is actually pretty amazing for pvp. Rogues are nice dps and I think melee dps is in short supply for high level groups/raids. Mages are for some reason the least popular int caster here. Monks are a little less frustrating to solo with than a rogue and are also good melee dps and on the high end t-staff is obv bonkers for pvp.

I think if you have a little patience and are aggressive at finding partners and making friends a rogue is doable, but there will be occasions where you cant find groups so it will require some patience.

BTW I help new players on server with some basic start jewelry so find mindsculptor in game I will hook you up with some basics.

Peekae
09-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Oh cool i figured mages would be all over the place along with necro's but i guess they are the preferred of the pet classes so makes sense.

I really do enjoy rogue just scared of the leveling wondering if it might be better to start out mage for the ability to solo.

Peekae
09-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Also i was curious. Is going non barb suicide for a rogue here? I'm thinking bash might be a life saver. Though I feel dwarf could also be a really good option as i believe they start with more MR.

Peekae
09-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Hmm might have better luck with a mage or just go scaly monk and fist my way a few levels?

Peekae
09-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Ok sounds good might lean towards mage then... This being a pvp server should i lean towards stam as starting stats over say int?

gloinz
09-15-2012, 01:35 AM
Ok sounds good might lean towards mage then... This being a pvp server should i lean towards stam as starting stats over say int?

no, no, no

jdklaw
09-15-2012, 02:04 AM
Roll a class that can solo or you will quit before level 30. Believe me.

plan on soloing all the way to 60

nabsev
09-15-2012, 05:18 AM
plan on soloing all the way to 60

Not quite that much but rolling a solo class is a good play.

Dullah
09-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Stamina gives pure casters very little hp. I actually like the extra hp, but most would argue mana all the way. I always build my characters towards end game though...

INT casters only get 2hp per 1 sta, as opposed to say a warrior that gets 4.5hp per 1 sta.

http://wiki.project1999.org/Game_Mechanics#Hitpoints_Calculation_from_STA_and_ Level

Peekae
09-16-2012, 03:33 PM
So one more quick question is there still a few leveling guilds around ? I heard awhile ago it was VV now i dont see much other than red dawn / nihilum / flowers

Graahle
09-16-2012, 04:29 PM
VV has now reformed. Other than that, no, unfortunately.

SamwiseBanned
09-16-2012, 06:11 PM
I try to keep newbs buffed/PL to 30ish when im on but my time is limited :( I ended up reinstalling eq last nite and logged on to some of my red characters on there. surprisingly a lot of people talking in general chat and I got some pvp in. the game has got even wackkier than when i last played last sadly. no joke I was sitting in PoK after chasing a necro around in revamped freeport (which is pretty awesome now) and some dude flys over my head with a jetpack lol. anyhow ill try to log on to nite and buff you bro. take it ez maang.

fielding
09-16-2012, 06:34 PM
I just started up here on red 2 days ago and could use some leveling friends. I'm a 22 Ogre Shadow Knight, first character on red, so not the tuffest of big tuffy gear, but I try hard lol.

Let me know if you want to group up, soloing so far has been pretty painful/boring and can't wait until I can group with others.

-Fielding, #1 big tuffy, heuehuehue

SamwiseBanned
09-16-2012, 07:34 PM
hehe i ran into some retired red players on live including one Nilly :) I am sworn to secrecy though.

Kevynne
09-16-2012, 07:52 PM
peekae joined FoH :3

Peekae
09-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Actually ended up in guildless as of now. All you guys who are rerolling alts etc should join. Will need someone to duo with on a semi regular basis

mitic
09-19-2012, 07:56 AM
hehe i ran into some retired red players on live including one Nilly :) I am sworn to secrecy though.

Sam we (you included) would get more out of it if u advertise red99 on live, just don't get banned ;)

runlvlzero
09-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Let me tell a small story about my experience, i'm one of those players who is insanely aggressive about forming groups and mobilizing forces, i would say i'm really good at it.

I started a ranger, Starwind, got to 35 and the solo downtime between groups was boring. I was at the cusp of getting ivy and some more decent gear and being able to solo my way to 50 and group occasionally. But I would get one group in 16 hrs of play for a few hrs. It usually was the same 2 or 3 people and I always had to make amends for their playstyles. No picking and choosing elite partners in the 1-50 game. I had some minor pvp battles, nothing majorly epic, like 1 or 2. Some were I was on on the winnning side, some on the loosing.

I then said f this and rolled an enchanter, i had a bit of fun soloing and charming my way to level 18, it was cool. I didn't enjoy the gameplay though too finnicky for my tastes dungeon crawling solo with a 300 hp char not that amazing for me.

I said well shit, I am a pro cleric, I seen a few people playing melees and clerics can duo with casters and almost anyone for some cheese xp, everyone loves a local rez-bitch. I created Miria, this toon was the one I got to 53, the majority I spent leveling from 1-20 solo. I then hung out in unrest and duo'd, or grouped all the way to 53 with the same 5 people. I realized the full on social group/end game was not what I wanted and rage quitted flaming out on the forums here. Though as a cleric it was do-able. I took a rogue and mage most of the way with me and they were crucial to me getting into my 40's. I then leached of the most elite necro's of the server to get to 53. They seemed to appreciate my company though so I am gonna call it a fair trade.

I am now rolling a wizard: this is the class i feel like I may stick with for awhile and keep as a real main rather then a flirtation. It fits into the way the server is and my desire for social play. I can still duo with people and have some good fun, but I can also solo and powergame my way into 1337n355 and epicness and pvp group or solo.

I think if you were coming with friends it would be feasable to be a pro war/rogue or hybrid.

You may want to go solo though on your first char. Having a toon at 50 in 4-5 days played is not hard. And you can always use it to twink out your ranger, rogue, or SK or whatever have you.

Its the difference between 45 days played as a rogue by yourself or 5 days played as a necro, wiz, mage, and 10 days played as a rogue. there is no shame in going this route. Its a common tactic and most of the impatient people go this route.

I hope this helps. And good luck and godspeed on whatever path you choose. Its not a net loss if you have to reroll any class. But it is far easier with the xp curve and bonus's to start a strong soloer.

P.S. I leached a few quick PLs from flowers captains of the server on starwind and Nuui nothing major or gamechanging though as they would have you believe. I also consider those fair trades for all the happy thoughts I gave them.

P.S. PS brennard is incredibly awesome and out of shear luck and insanity we leveled allot and played at the same times, he also had good help from 2 others. So for rogues he cheated ;p (yeah yeah he's legit). But I think he did it pretty quick.

Nizzarr
09-19-2012, 10:55 AM
nice write up, +1 internet.

Peekae
09-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Solid post and i thank you for the input. I am currently 20 or 21 on the rogue however if things get nasty as far as finding duo partner ( I've found necros and druids to be incredible efficient in a duo via fear / aggro kiting)

If things stall out hard in the next few levels i also have a 6 or so mage i may turn to

fielding
09-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Sk/rogue was somewhat viable, I'm not quite mana efficient and I am far from twinked, but we had some good exp times.

I've been considering rerolling druid/necro/bard to level up first and then use them to twink out my SK so I can finish leveling him. So far the solo levels on my SK have been less than desirable.

-#1 big tuffy Fielding