PDA

View Full Version : List of Best charm pets by level/zone

godbox
09-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Hi just started an ench (lvl 29) and the whole reason I made ench is to have crazy high damage doing pets. So thought I would make a thread to sort of compile a list of mobs (named and not) that people think are crazy strong i.e undercons for easy charm / insanley high dmg or just plain broken or have useful procs (lifetaps stuns snares roots)

Looking more for group or duo setting since as we all know you dont keep the pet when your solo or want one thats grossly OP to the mob your killing.
and hopefully we can compile it into a wiki guide

Ill start off the list with my favorite so far:
Osargen Highpass keep. lvl 22 rogue
triples for 70
backstabs for 210
low HP

All spectre type mobs in City of Mist have Lifetap procs. Can become super OP if equipped with dual weild stun/life tap weps.
Finding one to use as pet from a more unused portion of the zone can allow you to keep reusing same one over several days.

Also in City of Mist. When you are high enough to do it safely the Greater war boned skels quad for 150. (both the city mist charms i only have experience with as duoing with ench/necros on my sham)

Nirgon
09-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Charm very OP here compared to live from what I've noticed.

Sakuraba
09-11-2012, 02:44 AM
Befallen: Ice bone skeleton (huge nukes)
Oasis: Dry bone skeleton (huge nukes)
Crushbone: royal guard, BS for 90, hits for 30

Fianna
09-11-2012, 07:32 AM
What level can an ench solo CoM?

Itap
09-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Osargen Highpass keep.

Holy shit yes

Vermicelli
09-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Spectral Curates are my fave pets in Karnor's Castle because when charm breaks, you can drain their mana with Theft of Thought to get a tasty lil bump. When doing Sebilis, I stick with Bok Knights because they seem to break way less often than the other froggy knights. If you are charming in Seb tho, remember to watch your pet in case it starts to wander from the guard spot!

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77552

Phinger
09-13-2012, 01:01 PM
You can start charm soloing in CoM at 39...that's when i did. Its definitely great, and even better in the mid 40s when you can do more than just entrance area stuff.

godbox
09-13-2012, 02:45 PM
for the Greater war bones you would need to be 54 or 55 I think they are pretty high MR and 2 of them could essentially 1round you if the hits all landed for full. (quad + kick x2mobs = like 1400hps gone?) and I think the wiki lists the lvl of them incorectly because they are still DB at 60 and i remember duoing with a monk on the wall when i was like 45ish and some were white and yellow. not sure though.

Vermicelli
09-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Aww OK. I guess I should mention

froglok Zol knights are L42 to L46
froglok Dar knights are L43 to L49
froglok Bok knights are L45 to L50
froglok Krup knights are L48 to L52

According to Allakhazam in 2012. I trust them Bok knights the best from experience, at my level 55, all the same =] Watch the wanderers tho.

pasi
09-14-2012, 03:40 AM
Zols go from 40 to 44. AFAIK

godbox
09-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Wasnt really having too much trouble last night, on my 53 ench on red.

By 55 you want to move on.

I was gaining close to a yellow an hour up until 59 on the wall in CoM. am not aware of any better / safer spot.

Tecmos Deception
09-17-2012, 10:04 PM
I was gaining close to a yellow an hour up until 59 on the wall in CoM. am not aware of any better / safer spot.

Wowzers.

I've gotten so used to 1 blue per hour, no matter the group or the zone, on my rogue, that the thought of measuring xp in yellows seems ridiculous. Lol. Only time I've earned xp faster than that since 50 was duo with a necro in BW, but too many light blues there now :(

A1551
09-25-2012, 10:21 AM
So my favorite way to level as an enchanter is to find backstabbing rogue mobs and either fearkite or group with a tank/healer and just drop things at an alarming rate. With that in mind the spots I've found leveling up to the low 50's so far:

1. Unrest. The barkeep backstabs and can be used to duo/trio the whole upstairs.

2. Mistmoore. Mistmoore is an enchanters paradise, besides being great exp, lots of low HP mobs, always people around to group with, etc. There are numerous backstabbing mobs. The Dark Elf Initiates in leather armor (male or female) which can be found from the entranceway up to right before the pit backstab and are easy to charm. Once these get too low and you move to castle entrance groups, the gypsy dancer pulled from the ballroom backstabs. Additionally, the gypsy musicians all backstab too, however they have a major disadvantage in that every night they despawn and turn into werewolves (so you lose the pet automatically every PM). The dancer doesn't do this. This means MM can take you from 20-40 in very short order as mobs can be killed at an alarmingly fast rate with your quadding, backstabbing, hasted pet in small groups.

3. Spirocs in TD. The Spiroc provens (which are the highest level basic mobs) backstab for around 312 dmg and quad w/ weapons for 104. You can fearkite these and basically just drop every bird in the zone at a sickening rate. I did it with a cleric mostly, also tried with a necro and druid, it all worked well.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Pirate Cartographers in FV - backstab for 192 and triple for 63ish. Also, they usually come with a weapon already so worst case scenario you need to find 1 more wep for them.

Head over to the lone rock along the coast to where Tracker Azeal is (he is usually kneeling), pull using tash and fear. Hasted pets without any other added DPS require 1 of this type of fear before pet kills them:

Pirate (lower level): Fear.
- higher: Chase the moon
Drolvarg Savages: Fear
Drolvarg Growlers: Chase the moon.
Drolvarg Snarlers: Chase the moon with possible Fear thrown in towards the end depending on duration.
Pirate Cartographers (lower): Fear.
- higher: Chase the moon.
Pirate Destroyers: Chase the moon.

If you pull them closer to the coast (at least past the tracker) they will usually stay running around and just do circles. If you fear them past the rock they will run straight out into the great yonder.

At 38 I am getting 2.5 oranges/hour chain pulling - solo. Remember: this is with the pet taking 50% xp.

Swish
10-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Spectral Curates are my fave pets in Karnor's Castle because when charm breaks, you can drain their mana with Theft of Thought to get a tasty lil bump...

If you're ever duo'ing with a cleric, consider duelling them for some theft of thought mana... worked wonders when I was duoing in Chardok ages ago (before all the AOE groups showed up :p)

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-03-2013, 12:18 PM
If you're ever duo'ing with a cleric, consider duelling them for some theft of thought mana... worked wonders when I was duoing in Chardok ages ago (before all the AOE groups showed up :p)

I thought that when you were in a duel you weren't able to cast any beneficial spells (they effectively became an NPC to you in that regard). Is this different on P99?

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Would also like to throw this out that Goblin Stalgknights in Nurga make amazing pets. They are SK's and proc Vampiric curse almost every swing. In addition, the only REAL casting they do is their 5pt lifetap which is an almost instant cast so you don't really have to worry about reduced DPS as a result.

Vandamwtc
10-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Good thread. I was using the rogue in HK last night and was absolutely shredding reds.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Good thread. I was using the rogue in HK last night and was absolutely shredding reds.

Osargen is an absolute beast. When I was in HHK we decided to deck him out in bronze armor as well. I wish I took a screenshot of that because he looked sick. Mezzmerelda was the lucky enchanter in charge of controlling him.

On topic, I'm hearing Spiroc Provens in TD are also rogues. Not too sure how the camp is laid out but I'm going to give it a try when FV really starts to green out. Its too bad that outta the three birds that are supposed to spawn there that the provens are the highest level.

jcmtg
10-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Versus Spectres in Oasis @ level 39-49. Charm the gypsy merchant and have him dual weild.

Versus Spirocs in Timorous Deep @ level 44-52. Don't forget about the shaman Spiroc, A Spiroc Warrior. Don't charm raptors in TD. No room to kite.

Solo nuke Misty Thicket guards at 29-40. The single spawns, not the 4 group. not until 39ish.

Fabby
10-08-2013, 09:09 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h171/randomftw/EQ000011.png (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/randomftw/media/EQ000011.png.html)
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h171/randomftw/EQ000012.png (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/randomftw/media/EQ000012.png.html)

Velerin
10-09-2013, 11:05 AM
nice!

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-09-2013, 11:16 AM
It's so beautiful. My hat comes off for you sir!

Something'Witty
10-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Slixin Klex (http://wiki.project1999.com/Slixin_Klex) in Burning Woods

Blazingtide
10-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Hey guys was wondering what "the wall " in com is? I plan on taking my 51 enchanter to com soonish and any info would be appreciated. I'm generally familiar with the layout of the zone from other servers but I don't know much in the way of the mobs and camps on this one. Thanks !

- Flavious / Haijynx

Tenlaar
10-25-2013, 08:54 PM
At 38 I am getting 2.5 oranges/hour chain pulling - solo. Remember: this is with the pet taking 50% xp.

Why are you eating the pet penalty instead of mem blurring and finishing mobs off?

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Why are you eating the pet penalty instead of mem blurring and finishing mobs off?

Costs me 30 mana to fear and in 1 cast they're dead. Can do it more sustainably with a greater amount of loot and at a greater speed. I just suggest duo - can do big things like that.

Tenlaar
10-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Have you tried using mem blur with them, though? I just find it hard to believe that spending ~140 less mana (mem blur + suffocate, just to make sure it dies from one cast) lets you double your kills in the same amount of time. I could certainly be wrong but it's been producing better xp gains for me.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Costs me 30 mana to fear and in 1 cast they're dead. Can do it more sustainably with a greater amount of loot and at a greater speed. I just suggest duo - can do big things like that.

Sorry, that was a shit job explaining it.

It takes me 20m to pull and between 30 (fear) and 70 (chase the moon) to fear it long enough for the rog pet to beat it down. So I'm looking at between 50 and 90m per kill. Multiply by 2 and you get between 100 and 180 mana per 100%xp.

If I mem blur, we're looking at 20 to pull, between 30 and 70 to fear successfully, 40m for blur and between 70 to 150 to nuke. Total for this is between 160 and 240 for 100%xp.

First one is faster, yields more loot and can be sustained fairly easily for max results. As always, the best way to eliminate the pet taking half is to get a partner. Better to share with someone else than Ms. Cartographer.

Happy hunting.

Tenlaar
10-25-2013, 11:18 PM
My contention, though, is that by your own numbers you are spending 60 more mana per 100% xp but having to pull/kill half as many mobs to get it. That is 4 extra med ticks, or 24 seconds, worth of medding per mob. Can you pull AND kill a mob in under 24 seconds, every time?

pharmakos
10-25-2013, 11:21 PM
gotta give weps to your charm pets to get them to dual wield

that adds up if you're killing your pet every fight

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-26-2013, 01:06 AM
Well, the math portion of it comes apart a little bit when you throw in the number of med ticks you get, however the effectiveness of your pet during the fights as well as the whole method is contingent on you fearing the mob. With that said, you're still going to be doing the same amount of chasing on an unsnared mob as I would be.

I would argue you get the same number of med ticks either way considering my method has always been to simply follow the feared mob (while trying to take advantage of quick med breaks) and mezzing everything that might path near where the battle is going on.

Either way, I think the take away from this is that, at least on paper, both methods come very close to eachother with regards to mana used vs. Mobs killed. Though I can tell you it worked best for me by doing it my way, if you've perfected yours in a way that works then all the power to you. Fwiw it sounds like yours is a more universal application of Enchanter solo skills anyways so that's a pretty useful set as it is. I would say my way of doing it though grows some real legs when you add a second class to it, which as I've said before is the basis for a really effective group.

Tl;dr: why solo quickly when you can duo quicker?

Tecmos Deception
10-26-2013, 08:46 AM
why solo quickly when you can duo quicker?

Duo has more max potential.

Solo is a million times more convenient.

Tenlaar
10-26-2013, 09:05 AM
My enchanter is level 30, he should be just right for starting to take on some pirates and stuff. I might actually do a little test, maybe an hour of killing with just fear and an hour doing mem blur/kill and see what each gets me. Mem blur/kill was getting me better xp in the WW giant fort, but I also didn't have a wicked backstabbing pet to pump damage out faster. I really came into my stride and started enjoying charming a lot out there so I want to figure out how to maximize my returns doing it.

I definitely agree with duoing though, especially since I tend to get bored fairly quickly soloing. I often hear about druids and necros having hard times finding groups so I like to invite them, great partners for fear kiting.

Something'Witty
10-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Have you tried using mem blur with them, though?

Why mem blur? When your pet gets low, just invs / hide to break charm and kill it.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Duo has more max potential.

Solo is a million times more convenient.

Absolutely 100% this.

I think that because the level of damage a pirate can do is so high and so quick, the strategy you would use for duo (chain pulling and fear kiting) is as effective as mem blurring and nuking (which is the obvious solo strategy). I don't think you would get this type of efficiency without a backstabbing hasted mob.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-26-2013, 12:26 PM
My enchanter is level 30, he should be just right for starting to take on some pirates and stuff. I might actually do a little test, maybe an hour of killing with just fear and an hour doing mem blur/kill and see what each gets me. Mem blur/kill was getting me better xp in the WW giant fort, but I also didn't have a wicked backstabbing pet to pump damage out faster. I really came into my stride and started enjoying charming a lot out there so I want to figure out how to maximize my returns doing it.

I definitely agree with duoing though, especially since I tend to get bored fairly quickly soloing. I often hear about druids and necros having hard times finding groups so I like to invite them, great partners for fear kiting.

Give it a shot out there and see what happens. I would be leery doing it at 30 because most of the mobs are level 31-36. It would probably be better at 34 since fear has a nasty reputation as having additional vs magic checks.

I think you'll also find this is considerably easier than giants as well because of the fact that giants cannot be mezzed or stunned which is the core of your protection.

Happy hunting and good luck. If you find yourself without SOW pots and don't have jboots (these are essential) I can jump on and quickly hammer out a few for you.

Tenlaar
10-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Why mem blur? When your pet gets low, just invs / hide to break charm and kill it.

We're talking about fear kiting with a pet you keep here.

Tenlaar
10-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Give it a shot out there and see what happens. I would be leery doing it at 30 because most of the mobs are level 31-36. It would probably be better at 34 since fear has a nasty reputation as having additional vs magic checks.

Hm, I might just have to run out there and just see what happens. If the wiki is wrong it'd be nice if somebody with access could update it, it has pirates being level 24-30 and two of the drolvarg types as level 26.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Hm, I might just have to run out there and just see what happens. If the wiki is wrong it'd be nice if somebody with access could update it, it has pirates being level 24-30 and two of the drolvarg types as level 26.

It is definately wrong. Here are (as close to as possible) the level ranges:

A Pirate - 28-32 - can be Warrior or Rogue. Max level pirate has never been a warrior for me; ymmv.
A Pirate Cartographer - 30-31 - Always Rogue.
A Drolvarg Savage - 26 - 29 - Warrior.
A Drolvarg Growler - 28 - 33 - Warrior.
A Drolvarg Snarler - 32 - 36 - Warrior.

This is why I really like this area because your pet is, on average, lower level than anything else making it easier to handle for long-term charms.

Tenlaar
10-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Ouch, yeah, think I'll need a few more levels before I try messing with that! Probably would end badly, especially since the stupid FV guards don't attack pirates. I learned that lesson when I used the wrong map from after they had moved spell vendors going to get breeze and got agro from one.

Once I hit 34 I will head out there and play around for sure, seems like a mostly unpopulated zone with a ton of mobs around. Have you tried killing the drachnids as well?

pharmakos
10-26-2013, 01:47 PM
some of the drachnids like to cast snare. i wonder if that would make them good pets for fear kiting? :)

Tenlaar
10-26-2013, 02:23 PM
I never even thought about that, I was just wondering if they were easy to kill! Enchanter duo, one with a drachnid for snare and one with a pirate for BS.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Ouch, yeah, think I'll need a few more levels before I try messing with that! Probably would end badly, especially since the stupid FV guards don't attack pirates. I learned that lesson when I used the wrong map from after they had moved spell vendors going to get breeze and got agro from one.

Once I hit 34 I will head out there and play around for sure, seems like a mostly unpopulated zone with a ton of mobs around. Have you tried killing the drachnids as well?

Drachnids not really worth it IMO. They:

1) Don't cast snare very often at all.
2) Are often SOW'd.
3) Have a damage shield which, if you're trying to use a consistant pet is going to cause you to have to mem blur heal quite often.
4) Will more often then not at least get 1 DoT off on you.

The only Drachnids are also near the DL zoneline which is far away from where the pirates mainly roam. I always called the section where Tracker Azael kneels beside a lone rock my camp (follow the coast along the sheer rock cliff). There is a hill with rocks on the top nearby where there is NEVER a shortage of mobs.

Other tips:
1a) Don't cast illusions that FV factioned NPC's will agro against. Nothing sucks more than getting a Pilgrim or Drixie add and having to pull away/mem blur.
B) If you're bound in FV at the bank (which I suspect mny people are) you will eventually gate to save yourself time. Bad idea with Air ele illusion on.
2) Don't fight Goblin Shamans - not worth it.