PDA

View Full Version : Is a battle cleric at all possible?

Safon
08-29-2012, 04:37 AM
Specifically, can a twinkled cleric be a half decent combatant against non undead, soloing or with a duo/trio? In bigger groups obviously they will fall in line as heal bitches, but I was hoping to make a well geared warrior cleric, dwarf or something. Is this plan madness?

Kairun
08-29-2012, 04:40 AM
I like it =)

Tasslehofp99
08-29-2012, 06:15 AM
Sounds like a Paladin.

Tecmos Deception
08-29-2012, 06:22 AM
Depends on what your definition of "half decent" is.

If you buy the cleric a poison wind censer and a haste item and a bunch of +str and +ac gear, you will do great damage compared to a typical cleric with a +wis 1h and a shield without a haste item who is wearing +wis and+mp gear. You could prolly use root and stuns to keep aggro and still be able to lull for ok pulls, heal after fights, etc.

This setup would really make you a more of a tank than a damage dealer though. Without double attack or high melee skill caps, true melee classes will just blow past you in terms of damage ouptut by the time you get up to 40, even if they aren't as twinked as you are. And while it would work decently for 30-40 levels, as you get higher you are going to be worse and worse off, since you are not taking advantage of the strength of your class (which would be being the most powerful healer in the game and maintaining with constant meditation).

This is basically the method that twinked shamans use to level. Good 2hb, good haste item, lots of str and lots of ac. The thing is that shamans get stat buffs, haste, slow, regens, cannibalize, a pet, and (probably) better base stats for doing this. And those things add a lot more to being a "battle" something than ac and hp buffs, stuns and heals do. And even then, once they get up to higher levels they are better off using roots and dots and medding while those kill enemies.

If you are someone with a bunch of cash sitting around and this will entertain you for 40 levels, then go for it. If you are someone who is more set on the concept of battle cleric than on being an actual battle CLERIC, then consider a paladin instead.

runlvlzero
08-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Bleh u can solo pretty well with decent ac, an untwinked mana pool and a nice 1hb and sheild. Just nuke the crap out of things, and duo with rogues or other dps dealers.

sulious
08-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Let me get this right, you want to make the most effective group healer a tank? Clerics can tank and hold agro with basic planar gear or less + using stuns. Not effective but can be done. Why not make a pally?

runlvlzero
08-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Pretty clear to me that their style of solo play is to stand and fight rather then play wizard but they still intend to heal... clerics are still better at that then any other class with little or no wis gear anyway. U only need tons of +wis if your raiding and even then it takes a backstep to other things like +resists usually.

If you want, get a full set of solro cleric armor and some jagged bands and some +mana earings, a decent sheild and kunark 1hb, u can solo/nuke your way to 40+ probably soloing in guk with that gear.

Get just enough STR to hold on to your armor, and get some nice weight reduction bags so u can make a lil plat while leveling. Through a +wis tunic in there and some +wis/mana jewlery, and or gatorscale legs. +Wis mantle from CT for when your not on the front lines.

If your tanking play just like a pally, except nuke a lil more for better dps and agro. With 115 ish wis and a lil +mana you should be able to nuke frogs dead in lguk with ease, rooting for CC as needed. Living mobs will always eat up a full mana bar to bring down. You cant really melee only 30+ but light blues, easy dbs with a really nice 1hb.. or 2hb.

FBSS is worthless on a cleric. Even trying to do this. Get a TBB or something else.

kaev
08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Can it be done? Yes, but keep in mind that
1. Cleric is the only class that deals less damage than Paladin
2. Cleric AC does not mean the same thing as tank (WAR/SHD/PAL) AC, even if you get the same number displaying you will take more damage (not tested this here, but assuming it is as on live.)
3. Cleric has less HP than any tank
4, Cleric passive defenses are inferior to any tank (you only get Dodge with a patheticly low cap, no Parry or Riposte)

Basicly, for equivalent gear you're a noticeably inferior tank.

All that said, I solo my Cleric alt because I find med&heal to be a sad pathetic terrible awful horrible worthless excuse for gameplay.

[Edit: If you really want to do this, make a Dwarf or a Human (Rodcet Nife or Karana) and spring for cultural plate.]

orsk
08-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Or just wait till velious get yourseelf a primal velium brawl stick and fuck shit up, on Tallon Zek i watched shamans druids and cleric beat other melle classes with these, basically toying with them and using only heal spells/ self buffs to add insult to injury. How do i know? because i got wooped in lower guk plenty by pandemonium doing this =P

webrunner5
08-29-2012, 09:41 AM
The one good thing about your idea to make a Battle Cleric is when you get bored, or just figure out around level 40 that this is really hard , you can just be a Cleric. :rolleyes:

So not the worse idea. I have done it myself a few times and found out it was about as good just to Root and DD. It gets pretty sucky not being able to hit a bull in the ass at times with their poor Melee skills.

Ele
08-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Dawnfire, Morningstar of Light (http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/DawnFire,_Morning_Star_of_Light) makes for fun times in LGuk, KC basement, The Hole undead tower. Even easier with a manastone to get mana back between pulls or do the swing, sit, med tick, stand, swing dance.

Danth
08-29-2012, 11:57 AM
The main benefit to leveling as a melee-focus cleric is that your defense skill will be kept at max. It becomes quite a headache to raise defense once you're at the point where mobs hit for 150+ a whack.

Danth

Droog007
08-29-2012, 12:37 PM
At some point (possibly post-SoL, but I don't remember), Clerics got some melee love in the form of bash skill, enhanced undead damage spells, and supe'd up Yaulp line - IIRC.

Ele
08-29-2012, 12:47 PM
At some point (possibly post-SoL, but I don't remember), Clerics got some melee love in the form of bash skill, enhanced undead damage spells, and supe'd up Yaulp line - IIRC.

and the super hammer that made paladins jelly.

falkun
08-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Cleric bash: Sept. 4, 2002 (beyond the scope of P99).

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20020904.html
Priest Changes:

Clerics gain the Bash skill beginning at level 25. They will have a maximum skill of 125 at level 50, 165 at level 60.
Clerics gain Hammer of Judgement - a level 56 summoned hammer with a powerful and frequent proc effect.
Clerics gain Yaulp V - a level 56 self-only melee and mana regen buff that adds haste, dexterity, mana regeneration and stamina regeneration.