PDA

View Full Version : new people > exp rate

mitic
08-21-2012, 07:46 AM
means:

people leave when exp bonus goes away again (id raise exp rate even more than it is like now)

nilbog, do it right if u want to keep ppl playing on red. you have this one last chance !

runlvlzero
08-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Meh, theres other things to do here then xp, I would still be here with less, even though the OP is obviously trolling I bring you this small bit of wisdom.

Wanders
08-21-2012, 08:15 AM
He isn't trolling, this is likely reds last chance to be a server and not just a guild on a server. I logged on red the other night just to check it out and man it was tedious just buffing up. Might just be due for a EQ break though.

mitic
08-21-2012, 08:18 AM
nilbog can still reduce exp bonus when population in on a healthy level, but not right now!

runlvlzero
08-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Xp seems way to fast for me, so far its been interesting playing here. Its not the 10 person community I expected, but it is something slightly different.

If you like a small community and can play well with others - then this is a great place to play a group class.

If you are a lone wolf, then your basically stuck being a necro/druid/wiz/mag/sham/bard. Of which there are plenty. You can then join a powerful guild and twink out your solo tank/rog/etc...

There's been tons of great muds were the focus of the game turned away from > pixels > pals

We can all be pals, too fast xp may destroy it, I'm not gonna say certainly. I rolled a toon several days ago, I'm now level 30, making lots of pals, I hope they stay, but not at the expense of quality, dedicated players. Which this server "seems" to have more of.

Even the trolls on this server are more pro it seems. I like this. The curve steepens abruptly at 50 ish I hear anyway. So as long as there is a cut off from noob>hardcore thats good.

The steeper you make that curve though, the more disapointment for the noob, and the more noobs alienating the pro's trying to start fresh. Who knows what the perfect formula is. I don't think faster is better though.

More xp = more attraction = more people potentially staying. This is good for noobs/pros/pvp gods alike, we all like having people to play with no matter our style.

I suppose the real input in this case comes from the staff running the server, its up to them to decide what kind of community they want to build. How big they want the population to be. Its up to us to choose wether we like it or not. Not endlessly debate it and cry about it. The final rate is ultimately in they're hands and they will change it as they see fit. I'm sure they're aware of how it affects population by now )

Also 24 hrs or so after kubark release see's its first 55 server first... Yeah its powergaming poopsockers who never log off, and probably trade off with their roomates IRL for breaktimes but that is pretty fast lol

JenJen
08-21-2012, 10:28 AM
55 already is kind of worrying in a social and mental sense!
I saw some nihi earlier before work and i couldnt attack, whats the 50+ range settings for pvp?

Palemoon
08-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Nilbog already said there is a 50 percent bonus that will never go away. Only thing that is going away next week is the "extra" 50 percent bonus for kunark release.

Anyways, imo what we need more then even more bonus is to make the hybrid xp penalty apply to the hybrid alone, not shared out with the group. People are avoiding hybrids like they have the plauge and shutting them out of "community" with that anchor around their neck is far far more destructive to new player retention then extra xp bonus.

XP bonux 10x = wizards/druids/necros level 10x faster. Hybrids still avoided like leppers and quit.

I saw it leveling to 50, and i'm seeing it all over again. The original devs changed this malus when everyone became aware of it and started to descriminate. Ok, we are there now on p99. Make the malus carried by the individual hybrid only. I'm sure they wont mind carrying the burden themselves to 60 if they could actually get groups, join the community of players and have fun.

tl;dr: Make all class xp penalties self only, not dished out and shared with the group.

bamzal
08-21-2012, 10:58 AM
55 already is kind of worrying in a social and mental sense!
I saw some nihi earlier before work and i couldnt attack, whats the 50+ range settings for pvp?

This is concerning. Those neckbeards gonna level oor

JenJen
08-21-2012, 11:56 AM
not sure what the oor is, if any. i just ran into hijinx on my own, conned red omgz! thats some srs eq play time in a few days

PhantomRogue
08-21-2012, 12:04 PM
not sure what the oor is, if any. i just ran into hijinx on my own, conned red omgz! thats some srs eq play time in a few days

Poopsocking Trak before anyone else is king.

SearyxTZ
08-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Nilbog already said there is a 50 percent bonus that will never go away. Only thing that is going away next week is the "extra" 50 percent bonus for kunark release.

Anyways, imo what we need more then even more bonus is to make the hybrid xp penalty apply to the hybrid alone, not shared out with the group. People are avoiding hybrids like they have the plauge and shutting them out of "community" with that anchor around their neck is far far more destructive to new player retention then extra xp bonus.

XP bonux 10x = wizards/druids/necros level 10x faster. Hybrids still avoided like leppers and quit.

I saw it leveling to 50, and i'm seeing it all over again. The original devs changed this malus when everyone became aware of it and started to descriminate. Ok, we are there now on p99. Make the malus carried by the individual hybrid only. I'm sure they wont mind carrying the burden themselves to 60 if they could actually get groups, join the community of players and have fun.

tl;dr: Make all class xp penalties self only, not dished out and shared with the group.

The hybrid penalty should be removed period. It never ever made sense. At all. The original logic was that because these classes were a mishmash of two pure parent classes, they would be stronger but level slower. Except they aren't stronger -- Rangers in fact completely suck. This went out the window after like the first month of the game.

There are still not enough lower or mid level players to support any active low level game (and there never will be). When I'm the only person in Warsilks or Lake on Kunark launch day, that's not good. They did the scaling bonus thing which made total sense. Need to fold that over a few times. The grind should be condensed to 40-60.

Box needs YT and hotzones for the above reasons. Players are gonna be too spread out. You can probably count on KC and Seb being active all the time, but the outdoor zones will be completely scattered with like 1 player per 5 square miles.

runlvlzero
08-21-2012, 12:29 PM
That makes sense, but then again also having insanely fast 1-30 game discourages low level zone groups such as oasis, and forces more players to solo 1-30 as well. Although with enough xp bonus any class can get 30 with a few hundred plat worth of gear.

PhantomRogue
08-21-2012, 12:43 PM
That makes sense, but then again also having insanely fast 1-30 game discourages low level zone groups such as oasis, and forces more players to solo 1-30 as well. Although with enough xp bonus any class can get 30 with a few hundred plat worth of gear.

Riiiight, because you want people quitting and getting discouraged from 1-30.

And people coming in NEW... Not from Blue, not Twinked, not having friends here... are going to have that money to buy gear with.

You want people spending time 45-60 and PvPing. Not spending the bulk of their time doing the most idiotic thing, which the modern MMO improved from EQs version... grinding.

mitic
08-21-2012, 12:49 PM
a minute ago in game..

iam unsettled for another exp increase but the current 50% should stay in!

Vile
08-21-2012, 01:03 PM

wrong.

gankstar1868
08-21-2012, 01:09 PM
As a returning player and long time EQ vet i understand how important nostalgia and playing a hard core game how it was meant to be played.

With that aside, most players that played EQ hard core no longer have the amount of time they did as kids to devote to the levelling process.

A few friends of mine are thinking of coming back and would GREATLY benefit from a significant EXP boost. We would put a majority of our time into r99 and with an exp boost we could reach competitive levels more quickly and take an active role in the community.

mitic
08-21-2012, 01:16 PM
i bet some blue players are lurking !

Vile
08-21-2012, 01:19 PM
It all comes down to this very simple logic:

How much time do I need to invest (leveling up) to have some fun(pvp).

There is nothing going on low levels.. maybe there is ONE group in some random ass zone, but if you can't port, make it there on your own, or if they even allow you to join (most people don't even want a hybrid in their group) -- you're doomed to solo.

Your class can't solo? Good fucking luck.

Wamorn
08-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Exp rate woyldn't even be so bad if boxing was allowed so you can box the class you need to level.

PhantomRogue
08-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Exp rate woyldn't even be so bad if boxing was allowed so you can box the class you need to level.

No. Boxing. Ever.

Amesplayerofgames
08-21-2012, 01:50 PM
XP RATE NEEDS TO STAY AS IT CURRENTLY IS

SearyxTZ
08-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Yeah I'm actually fine with no boxing. The only thing I'd want boxing for is getting through the lifeless shitty low levels. For actual pvp (and high-end pve), 1 box is better.

If they addressed the low/mid level experience then boxing would mostly cease to be an issue.

One of my pals (Kable) got banned on Sunday for going around it and boxing a shaman to PL his new iksar toon. I warned him about it but his sentiment was "I don't give a fuck and I'm not spending my time doing this low level shit again" and I can't really disagree with that. It's somewhat ironic that people get banned here for something that was incredibly prevalent on live.

I'd hope that the devs see the root cause of that problem and address it sooner rather than later since this little Kunark spike isn't going to last forever.

Vermicelli
08-21-2012, 01:54 PM
55 already is kind of worrying in a social and mental sense

Just as an outside observer from blue, the biggest threat to red's longevity is people playing hours upon hours a day and demolishing the content super quick. I saw this when Red99 was still pre-kubark, where people farmed all the legacy items on 8 alts, locked down Nagafen and Lady Vox, and then wanted to go to Legacy of Zek, then destroyed that server and have come back to R99. Dang but get outside for a while, guys. New content in Velious is a ways off, even for blue =)

gankstar1868
08-21-2012, 01:54 PM
It all comes down to this very simple logic:

How much time do I need to invest (leveling up) to have some fun(pvp).

There is nothing going on low levels.. maybe there is ONE group in some random ass zone, but if you can't port, make it there on your own, or if they even allow you to join (most people don't even want a hybrid in their group) -- you're doomed to solo.

Your class can't solo? Good fucking luck.

This is what i am afraid of. I rolled SK and going with shaman buddy but even then we are going to be leveling very slowly due to exp penalty.

Don't know if i can put in the time to get to the action in the upper 40's. What kind of /played am i looking at with no gear and starting fresh?

BigSlip
08-21-2012, 02:02 PM

yeah, currently getting a quad on a 48 wiz, getting about a blue per quad. Thats still 25 quads, at around 10 minutes per quad/med up (with manastone)

Its still painful.. I dont like leveling solo. Its strait boring. But kunark is crawling with zerglings so cant really go there for group exp either yet.

Keep that exp not kidding!

Kilbur
08-21-2012, 02:09 PM
You guys are playing a game that takes hours of invested time... Shits not gonna happen over night.. Can only change it So much.. Why not just go play live EQ?? Should we remove corpse runs too?? Wouldnt wanna anyone to waste precious time... Let's face it.. The casual players are the losers here in a game that reflects mainly on time played... Nihilum hasnt logged off since Friday night.. There whole guild is already 60.. Either we are up for the challenge or not... Bottom line.. WhAt the server needs most???? LESS COMPLAINERS... No?

Vile
08-21-2012, 02:11 PM
You guys are playing a game that takes hours of invested time... Shits not gonna happen over night.. Can only change it So much.. Why not just go play live EQ?? Should we remove corpse runs too?? Wouldnt wanna anyone to waste precious time... Let's face it.. The casual players are the losers here in a game that reflects mainly on time played... Nihilum hasnt logged off since Friday night.. There whole guild is already 60.. Either we are up for the challenge or not... Bottom line.. WhAt the server needs most???? LESS COMPLAINERS... No?

Needs more people with no lives I guess..

Vile
08-21-2012, 02:12 PM
yeah, currently getting a quad on a 48 wiz, getting about a blue per quad. Thats still 25 quads, at around 10 minutes per quad/med up (with manastone)

Its still painful.. I dont like leveling solo. Its strait boring. But kunark is crawling with zerglings so cant really go there for group exp either yet.

Keep that exp not kidding!

So you're a solo-capable class with a high end item to assist you (manastone) and it will still take you more than 4 hours to level. The future is great for my troll SK.

Cwall
08-21-2012, 02:14 PM
remove hybrid penalty, keep this 50% kunark exp bonus permanent, add YT

BigSlip
08-21-2012, 02:18 PM

sounds perfect as fuck

gankstar1868
08-21-2012, 02:20 PM

Bam problems solved.

To the people that keep saying to kick the complainers - do you really want less people in this game?

I was playing eq 12-14 hours a day when i was 12, now 12 years later i dont have 12-14 hours a day to play eq and grind like i used to.

I would still very much like to progress, pvp and experience that old school feeling. But i am not going to spend 150+ hours to reach a level where i can play against other players.

Every game out there has realized that to keep new players you need to facilitate the path to end game content. Some games do it way toooo fast but others just right.

Give us exp bonus at lower levels, maybe increase plat drops on low level mobs. Take away hybrid penalty so i am not severely penalized for playing with friends. This will make it so my group and i can spend 2-3 weeks reaching end game instead of 2-3 months.

PhantomRogue
08-21-2012, 02:22 PM
add hotzones, keep this 50% kunark exp bonus permanent, add YT

Fixed.

Wamorn
08-21-2012, 02:23 PM
sounds perfect as fuck

Cwall
08-21-2012, 02:26 PM
o ya hotzones would be p cool

jdklaw
08-21-2012, 02:36 PM

and

remove hybrid penalties

and

add YT

and

kthxbai

heartbrand
08-21-2012, 02:54 PM
and

remove hybrid penalties

and

add YT

and

kthxbai

mitic
08-21-2012, 03:08 PM
yellow text is needed for sure, nilbog what the *** are u waiting for ?

i think we had enough polls and the like just to confirm that yellow text was needed since day one

bilbobaggins
08-21-2012, 03:42 PM
3 months later and you guys are still begging the devs for increased exp and YT.

but i thought trollborn and dullah said kunark alone would save the server? seems like all that happened was more nihilum started logging in again.

unfortunate that the devs are so steadfast in their classic recreation that they limit the potential this server has. let blue be your 100% classic recreation; red was supposed to be tuned for pvp.

now the population is split between 2 boxes, rather than ~200 or so playing together.

bummer.

guess i'll check back again in a couple months.

mostbitter
08-21-2012, 05:15 PM
i came back for the experience rate and it feels real good where it is at. I'm still not instantly 60. The pvp scene still sucks unfortunately and taking the bonus away will make it worse. VV has almost enough players to be competitive with nihilum but theyre desperately trying to catch up on the level game. Taking away the exp bonus just means they will be that much further behind to hitting 60 and being able to be competitive.

I really hope the experience bonus stays. It finally legitimately makes the exp pen on death tolerable. It encourages people to come back to the server. It will encourage people to play on the server.

aborted
08-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Please leave the experience bonus in and add YT

Cwall
08-21-2012, 05:41 PM
population already dropping

was ~145 day or two ago at this time, now 82

Mornin3.0
08-21-2012, 05:43 PM
you have this one last chance !

lol

Shrubwise
08-21-2012, 08:06 PM
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q571/eleventyhundred/TrollThread.jpg

Smedy
08-22-2012, 01:40 AM
Agreed, the experience should be left at what it is right now, it's by far a huge enough time investment to get 60 at this rate, i think any slower will result in a negative effect.

There needs to be a balance, and i think its pretty good right now. With a job i can get around 3 levels per day at this rate playing around 4 hours a day (which still is a lot).

I'm sure 50-60 will be slower but that's fine, the really boring part is 1-50, once you get 50+ you do more fun stuff while you exp, such as pvp, exp where good stuff drops etc.

Keep it at this rate, add Yellow Text, watch box grow steadidly.

Box has huge potential, enjoying it FAR more this time around with the added ooc + exp bonus and ofcourse kubark

PhantomRogue
08-22-2012, 07:28 AM
add more exp 1-40 or 1-50

50-60 should be slow, but thats when the game gets better (as smedy bro said)

... and seriously 1-40 is a complete joke, its not hard its just time consuming

1-40 is a joke... but you want to add more exp to that? Make up your mind.

And 1-40 is a joke... if yer a solo class. Try to get to 40 as a Warrior or Rogue or Paladin. It is damn near insanity.

Hot Zones are needed. Need to funnel people to places to support grouping and leveling together, thus finding friends and people you will level up with and form guilds and groups with after outlevelling that specific place.

Smedy
08-22-2012, 07:57 AM
1-40 is a joke... but you want to add more exp to that? Make up your mind.

And 1-40 is a joke... if yer a solo class. Try to get to 40 as a Warrior or Rogue or Paladin. It is damn near insanity.

Hot Zones are needed. Need to funnel people to places to support grouping and leveling together, thus finding friends and people you will level up with and form guilds and groups with after outlevelling that specific place.

Yosto you need to play bro, i pm you our info to the teamspeak, we doing it big again.

I think what foxx means by "adding exp" is actually making it "more exp per kill" or "add exp bonus" so essentially he wants 1-40 to be a lot faster.

got damn

PhantomRogue
08-22-2012, 08:49 AM
got damn

Javla Skit!

hijinks
08-22-2012, 10:39 AM
population already dropping

was ~145 day or two ago at this time, now 82

There was 112 on last night weekday. 154 was highest I saw on launch day, if your pals on LoZ had a set, they would come back to Red99 and make an attempt at playing again. So ez to say the server is 'corrupt' and shy away from the challenge. I left Red99 because of it's issues as well, but giving it a second shot in Kunark.

Ez to sit around and wait for the population to dwindle again because you can't nut up and contribute to it cuz it's 'too hard' if the 40 or so 2boxing stragglers that play on LoZ came to Red99 we would have had 200 on launch day.

Fact is if it can maintain anything over 100+ single boxed, it is a success as far as the pop goes and way more than any variation of vz/tz or loz considering their numbers r boxed, just not that many people interested in playing EQ 14 years later.

Tradesonred
08-22-2012, 10:39 AM

When the server launched i would have said its about the journey (aka pvping along the way) but since it seems we are not going to see the end of xp loss in pvp, i have 0 interest in rolling a pvp alt that i have to PVE grind to keep at the level i want him to be.

Most people are 50 or close to 50 now and the fun is probably most at the end game also. Ive seen a new guy comment that the worse to him was the lack of people to group with at 18.

Id say keep at least the current bonus, leave 50+ as it is (kunark launch bonus) because anyway right now, its 95% pve and 5% pvp in Kunark. We booted Nihi from KC last nite and they didnt even try to get it back, with their guild list being cut short.

Im enjoying the new zones, but for me the fun will be at 60 fighting over PVE so i wanna be done with grinding ASAP since pvp is not happening much. We need a healthy population at end game and we need the new guys not trailing behind for months alone and finally giving up and logging off before they reach end game.

hijinks
08-22-2012, 10:50 AM
All 'hyrbid' exp penalties should be removed. It is a silly thought on such a small playerbase.

Palemoon
08-22-2012, 11:01 AM
All 'hyrbid' exp penalties should be removed. It is a silly thought on such a small playerbase.

As a hybrid myself I dont mind paying it at all, I enjoy the challenge and understand I have more versatility then say a warrior, for sure. What I do mind is that everyone knows the xp penalty is there and it disrupts group play and community.

That last part is what is not classic. As soon as the greater part of the community in classic learned of this "feature" and began to descriminate against hyrbids, Verant changed it.

We should keep with the spirit of that change. The jig is up, no one wants hybrids (ok I exagerate but you get my point), and its time for the "company" (Nilbog) to change this feature in a way that will no longer keep hybrids out of groups.

Keep the malus, its a badge of pride and at this point in the games lifecycle its warranted (in xp grinds of course sk/paladin is better for the group then warrior by far). BUT, make it self only. Hybrids will level slower, but not drag their groups down with them. Warriors will level quicker.

Balance.

Nirgon
08-22-2012, 11:48 AM
If you don't see an advantage to having an SK/Pally over a warrior for standard xp grouping, I don't know what to tell you.

gankstar1868
08-22-2012, 12:25 PM
. We need a healthy population at end game and we need the new guys not trailing behind for months alone and finally giving up and logging off before they reach end game.

That right there is the biggest issue.

I want to get to 50-60 where the action is. The whole reason i am playing on r99 and not p99.

Taking 3-4 months to get to 50-60 is not viable with the time I currently have.

1-40 needs a 200% increase, 40-50 150% and then 50-60 normal 50% bonus or whatever.

Starting new with no gear, no money, no friends and no one around to group with is difficult (doable yes but a big turn off). At least let us climb the ladder a little faster so i can go back, farm and get some money/items with my overleveled char.

Swampfeet
08-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Starting new with no gear, no money, no friends

http://1.hidemyass.com/ip-3/encoded/Oi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20vekt2WmkuZ2lm

gloinz
08-22-2012, 01:08 PM

I want to get to 50-60 where the action is. The whole reason i am playing on r99 and not p99.

1-40 needs a 200% increase, 40-50 150% and then 50-60 normal 50% bonus or whatever.

Starting new with no gear, no money, no friends and no one around to group with is difficult (doable yes but a big turn off). At least let us climb the ladder a little faster so i can go back, farm and get some money/items with my overleveled char.

Vile
08-22-2012, 01:36 PM

You sir, get it. I've been preaching this since day 1... now that the 42 people that played hardcore have their Kubark, maybe they'll be less opposed to fixing some of the real issues for casual players who don't want to play a solo class.

Muaar
08-22-2012, 01:53 PM
They will leave Bonus XP on long enough for their friends in Nih to get max level and then turn it off forcing everyone else to leave once again

its weird how one guild can almost singlehandedly destroy an entire server from its inception

Nirgon
08-22-2012, 02:29 PM
There's virtually no casual base here, what happens when you force yourselves to lvl 55+ through xp. Then it will be gear. Get with the program or pray for more people to come and repopulate the box with people for you to play with. Blue seems to have that.

mitic
08-23-2012, 09:19 AM
news at 11

NachtMystium
08-23-2012, 09:53 AM
news at 11

"what's the correlation?"

lel

also I really think the whole "keeping it classic" ideal is really retarded for a box with such low population.

sure, we came here for "classic" PvP, but I think there really needs to be fine tuning to classic which will actually make the experience logical and fun, rather than just blindly forcing the server to abide by broken / archaic designs, even though obviously there are alot of non-classic elements, exp bonus should stay/be increased accordingly for obvious reasons.