PDA

View Full Version : How do you play?

Kyosai7
08-03-2012, 02:19 AM
Just thought I'd ask how most people play! Which EQ UI do you use? Do you play in first person or third person? I haven't settled on a perspective yet, but I do use the Default_old UI. I seem to remember a giant, blue block UI, where your viewpoint was like, the upper middle of the screen, what happened to that?

Anesthia
08-03-2012, 04:25 AM
DuxaUI has essential quality of life features for me so I use it. 3rd person from playing years of WoW. 1st person keyboard-turning is quaint but I can't do it.

Danyelle
08-03-2012, 05:31 AM
Just thought I'd ask how most people play! Which EQ UI do you use? Do you play in first person or third person? I haven't settled on a perspective yet, but I do use the Default_old UI. I seem to remember a giant, blue block UI, where your viewpoint was like, the upper middle of the screen, what happened to that?

http://www.tentonhammer.com/image/view/13127/preview

It's gone.

Actually I lied, it's still there. But the client is no longer coded to use it. That support (UseNewUI=FALSE) was dropped I believe when Omens of War hit.

http://i.imgur.com/g2kDL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Mu6gz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M2Vyr.jpg

EQMac's client can still use it though. And there is an alternative. It's in the technical forum. It's not sticked. You'll have to dig for it.

Hailto
08-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Personally, i alternate between first and third person depending on how small of an area i am in. Usually when grouping on my shaman i use primarily first person, but for some reason it bugs me to use first person when playing melee characters.

Kyosai7
08-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Out of curiosity, which character models does everyone use? The originals have a nice charm to them, but I find the Luclin models to be overall better.

Breeziyo
08-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Out of curiosity, which character models does everyone use? The originals have a nice charm to them, but I find the Luclin models to be overall better.

Probably only gnomes, elves, humans, and erudites(erudites being my favorite Luclin model) if I were to use them. I don't really like any of the other ones. Currently using all classic.

@OP, I use DuxaUI so I don't have to constantly open my inventory to check things, plus it shows percentages on your XP bar and looks cleaner overall. Third person most of the time unless I'm having trouble targetting stuff. Gets kind of wonky for me sometimes.

Kyosai7
08-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Probably only gnomes, elves, humans, and erudites(erudites being my favorite Luclin model) if I were to use them. I don't really like any of the other ones. Currently using all classic.

@OP, I use DuxaUI so I don't have to constantly open my inventory to check things, plus it shows percentages on your XP bar and looks cleaner overall. Third person most of the time unless I'm having trouble targetting stuff. Gets kind of wonky for me sometimes.

DuxaUI? I'll have to look into that. I'm getting sick of having to open my inventory every time I want to check my XP; especially when you're really low level and can't do much else besides grind until you're at a level you can do other stuff.

Hamahakki
08-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Classic player models, classic elementals, velious UI skin, first-person usually but occasionally third-person

planeofdreams
08-06-2012, 05:38 PM
I play with classic textures and character models in first person. I feel like it makes my character experiences feel more subjective. Although, when I'm just running around through long distances I enjoy throwing on auto-run and third person. And also I will usually switch to third person when I feign death to getter a better impression of the dangers around me. I use the default titanium UI, but I'm tempted to go to the velious one or try out Duxa.

Kyosai7
08-06-2012, 05:42 PM
It's hard finding a nice looking UI that doesn't cater mostly to raiders...

tekniq
08-07-2012, 08:42 AM
3rd person...so i can admire my swag at all times.

theaetatus
08-07-2012, 08:59 AM
I'd recommend the p1999 blue vert... Even on relatively low res it's nice and uncluttered:

http://i.imgur.com/U28Jh.jpg

Danth
08-07-2012, 09:00 AM
I use first person. That's how this game world was designed to be seen.

I use the "Default_Old" UI (planes of power-era UI) that comes with the titanium client. UIs are personal preference. I prefer Default_Old because of the vertical hotbutton bar and because I like black better than the blue of the modern Titanium UI. The default EQ interface requires so much customization to make it look presentable (it's such a disaster upon initial install!) that I doubt any two people have quite the same setup.

"Periscope view" wasn't uncommon in games from the 90's. The first MMOG I played, Air Warrior, used a similar arrangement. Using that sort of interface was an easy way to decrease the amount of screen space that had to render the 3D engine and consequently improved performance.

Keep that experience bar in the inventory. This is Everquest, not ProgressBarCraft!

Danth

UrsusMajor
08-07-2012, 09:26 AM
3rd person with classic textures and Velious UI.

Also, I'm a really old gamer, 46yrs old, and I have been a keyboard turner/clicker for ages. Can't seem to break the habbit.

fadetree
08-07-2012, 09:28 AM
pfft yer not old. 'old' gamers are 50 to 60 nowadays.

bhatz01
08-07-2012, 09:49 AM
I just installed Duxa, and surprisingly it is one of the first UI's that I have tried that I haven't hated. I love having the exp bar shown at all times, in addition to it being a %. The chat window is also much easier to read and cleaner looking. Good UI.

UrsusMajor
08-07-2012, 09:49 AM
pfft yer not old. 'old' gamers are 50 to 60 nowadays.

Hmm, I may not be as old as the 'old' gamers then but at least I can still say to most video gamers, "I've been playing video games longer than you've been on this earth."

35yrs and counting.

Houdiny
08-07-2012, 10:00 AM
I like Urgh's set up. I don't like clutter. I like being able to have a nice view of whats around me. I use the default UI but I throw everything to the bottom with the buff bars being on top.

djstaid
08-07-2012, 11:04 AM
I just installed Duxa, and surprisingly it is one of the first UI's that I have tried that I haven't hated. I love having the exp bar shown at all times, in addition to it being a %. The chat window is also much easier to read and cleaner looking. Good UI.

I did this as well yesterday and absolutely love the options you get with the Duxa UI. Very clean and very easy to get all the needed info.

I play with a mix of 3rd person and 1st person depending on where I am at. After playing a ton of other MMOs, it is a bit hard to get used to EQ again... but I am loving it!

Snagglepuss
08-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Velious UI.

Old models. (duh)

First person, ocassionally scrolling out (not classic! :x) to see an add when soloing.

I play primarily in first person because it's how I remember the game. Luclin models ruin the immersion for me. I also think they try to hard to look to "heroic" and "epic".

Aicha
08-07-2012, 11:40 AM
I just downloaded the Duxa UI last night and tried it out. I'm a fan. Where have you been all my life??

One question, though. So I have the 15 slot bar that shows buffs, and then I have a 5 slot bar for I have no clue what. What is that for and how do I make it go away if it's useless??

Valmari
08-07-2012, 11:41 AM
From the tiny bits I can see thats a crazy hot desktop Danyelle ;p

fadetree
08-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Hmm, I may not be as old as the 'old' gamers then but at least I can still say to most video gamers, "I've been playing video games longer than you've been on this earth."

And you should! Ancient ones, represent.

Kaeyana
08-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I just found Project1999 (hi there!) so I'm still using whatever came with Titanium. I don't really like the UI though. I'm playing for the nostalgia, and also because I like the way EQ classic was set up. Nowadays all MMOs have the same UI (sort of like the one that comes with Titanium, actually) and I find them kinda boring...I think I'll go figure out how to use the original one. :)

I use first person in really tight spots, but it tends to make me dizzy, so I try to stick with third.

Drakkoz
08-07-2012, 11:49 AM
When I played eq back in the day I did 1st person for traveling and 3rd for combat. After years of MMO's I can really only do 3rd person.

Using default UI but going to use some of those posted here, have most the luclin models on.

Boomlaor
08-07-2012, 05:02 PM
I just downloaded the Duxa UI last night and tried it out. I'm a fan. Where have you been all my life??

One question, though. So I have the 15 slot bar that shows buffs, and then I have a 5 slot bar for I have no clue what. What is that for and how do I make it go away if it's useless??
Short term buff window, aka bardsong window. Not used on this server, but I don't remember the command to get rid of it.

SirAlvarex
08-07-2012, 05:33 PM
I just use one of the default UI's with the vertical hotbar.

As a bard I pretty much have to play in third person. Targeting is easier, and all those damn burst effects clutter up the screen. In raids I turn off the effects, but in groups I like the visual representation of the mez song, so I usually leave those effects on.

Kyosai7
08-07-2012, 06:47 PM
I just got DuxaUI yesterday and I'm really loving it. It's just a really well done UI.

And since everyone's comparing ages, I'm 23. I don't require medication for arthritis yet! YEAH!

SwordNboard
08-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Always 3rd person, but not totally zoomed out so I can see all. Default UI organized and re-sized in a modern layout. Actually proud of my UI layout..