PDA

View Full Version : Global ooc/auction return to zone-wide

nilbog
05-23-2010, 02:14 AM
With this patch, server-wide out of character and auction channels have returned to zone-only. I believe we owe it to the spirit of the project to try and develop a community. It has not been possible since classic and we now have this opportunity. If there are issues, then we have contingency plans.

There has been an opinion poll running the past week in regards to when would be the ideal time for their removal. The poll results were about 50/50. Half of the population wishes it end immediately. The other half wishes for it to stay, either temporarily or indefinitely. There was never a question of keeping global channels permanently. The question was should their removal be sooner or later.

When the server initially launched, this same topic was addressed. At that time, there were around 200 people playing concurrently. It was suggested by many that when the population reached around 500 players at a time, it should be removed for sure. Presently we have a much greater population with new players joining everyday.

It is the goal of this project to emulate Everquest from the time of its initial launch to the end of Velious expansion. During this time, global channels were never an option.

Now to address some of the concerns.

The primary reasons player feedback advocate global channels is for finding groups and auctioning.

Tips and suggestions for finding a group. -Use "/lfg on" if you're in search of a group.

-Use the command "/ all lfg" to return a list of players looking for a group.

-Use "/ all zonename" to display who is visible within a certain zone. e.g. "/ all nro" would produce a list of players visible in north ro.

-Wanting to hunt somewhere in particular? Go to the zone and shout for a group.
I ran a test this week of "/ all lfg" at various times over the span of 5 days. The results were around 20-30 players lfg at a time.

Auctioning: -An in-game form of global auction should not be available to players whatsoever. One of the agreed-upon elements which made everquest immersive was its community. Whether the East Commonlands tunnel re-emerges as the dominate social area or another location, you should have the opportunity to forge your own community.
Last but not least, IRC and the forums.

irc.eqemulator.net
#project1999

This channel is always open and always has people in it. Bring epic ooc chat to irc where it belongs.

Go find each other.

Rogean
05-23-2010, 02:14 AM
http://www.rogean.com/images/shitstorm.jpg

Shannacore
05-23-2010, 02:25 AM
lawl @ Rogean

Myrkskog
05-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Awesome, thanks guys. Selling 2 bags of loot at torch 2!

Bones
05-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Here come the tears

flednat
05-23-2010, 02:49 AM
Will chat channels be started up soon?

Rogean
05-23-2010, 02:56 AM
Chat channels will not be active for now. We'll see how it goes and decide later if they're needed.

Shawk
05-23-2010, 03:11 AM
thanks rogean, chat channels should not be put in, defeats the purpose...

Brut
05-23-2010, 04:27 AM
/target ooc
/bye

Omg I gotta camp some stuff just to go sell it!

Aprio
05-23-2010, 06:39 AM
I'm so happy \o/

Taslion
05-23-2010, 06:45 AM
All trading shall henceforth be conducted from the basement of unrest.

No questions asked.

Senadin
05-23-2010, 07:09 AM
I am very glad to hear you will not be adding chat channels at this moment. To me, this while removing OOC was one foot forward and one backward!

I only hope this will strenghten the community and the server as a whole.

fabric9
05-23-2010, 07:14 AM
It is the goal of this project to emulate Everquest from the time of its initial launch to the end of Velious expansion.
I sincerely hope that you've considered looking beyond Velious as well. Eventually people will get bored of Velious and will move on. That means moving onto Luclin (and beyond) or the server will slowly die out from players leaving.

But we'll cross that bridge once we get to it, I'm sure. Sorry for sidetracking the newspost.

Gorroth
05-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Screw Luclin. Custom content FTW!

Lill-Leif
05-23-2010, 08:53 AM
OR let this p99 server run with Velious and create another server that releases luclin and pop. And maybe add the opportunity to transfer (or copy!) ones characters to the new server.

jettoki
05-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Finally! Thanks devs!

AR3151
05-23-2010, 09:16 AM
damn, i liked the channels, now the game just slowed down even more and less contact with people, hence "MMO".

Kerrik
05-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Guys, let's stick to P99 as of today. velious is still well over a year down the road, and Luclin (or anypost-velious content) is out past that. There's going to be plenty of complaining about this relatively minor change, do you think mixing in post-Velious is really necessary to stoke the flames?

Personally I won't miss global OOC. Auction was a nice convenience, but I can survive without it.

raff01
05-23-2010, 09:44 AM
YYEEEEESSSSSSS !! best thing that could happen, cant wait to see EC tunnel live again like old times !

Aeolwind
05-23-2010, 09:45 AM
OR let this p99 server run with Velious and create another server that releases luclin and pop. And maybe add the opportunity to transfer (or copy!) ones characters to the new server.

Maybe, there were aspects of Luclin that I did enjoy: Seru, Shissar, & Akheva. None of those included being on the moon or those fucking cats or beastlords. So, YMMV. I hated almost everything about Planes of Power: Justice & well POJ was the only thing I liked lol.

Screw Luclin. Custom content FTW!

Then we defeat our own purpose.

I sincerely hope that you've considered looking beyond Velious as well. Eventually people will get bored of Velious and will move on. That means moving onto Luclin (and beyond) or the server will slowly die out from players leaving.

But we'll cross that bridge once we get to it, I'm sure. Sorry for sidetracking the newspost.

We have no plans to just let the server die. We have a LONG way to go before this even begins to come to pass.

raff01
05-23-2010, 09:46 AM

I sincerely hope idiots like you leave P99 and go back to playing on live.

moebius8
05-23-2010, 11:10 AM
beastlords were kunark....

postmoderntease0
05-23-2010, 11:17 AM
No, *Iksars and Kunark* were Kunark. It didn't get a new class. Beastlords were Luclin.

All that is moot, of course, since 'classic' EQ ceased to be 'classic' when the new models were relesed, along with Luclin and its cringe-inducing "a fine steel light saber" loot table. I can only assume the Devs are also of a similar opinion, which is why the server has no plans to release Luclin. I'm sure everyone will miss something from subsequent expacs, but they eventually turned the game into something more akin to WoW, only easier in some ways. Not interested kthx.

In that vein, I approve the removal of global ooc/ auction. I encourage everyone to use the forum for selling items, in addition to EC. One thing I used to abhor was sitting in EC for days trying to buy a rarer item, only to never have anyone offer it, and when they did, for it to cost way more than it was worth since the guy selling it had no competition.

Agaron
05-23-2010, 11:18 AM
So... where's the official kumbyya selling circle now?

Nedala
05-23-2010, 11:31 AM
beastlords were kunark....

no.

moebius8
05-23-2010, 11:58 AM
yeah i was wrong never played one myself.

moebius8
05-23-2010, 12:07 PM
No, *Iksars and Kunark* were Kunark. It didn't get a new class. Beastlords were Luclin.

All that is moot, of course, since 'classic' EQ ceased to be 'classic' when the new models were relesed, along with Luclin and its cringe-inducing "a fine steel light saber" loot table. I can only assume the Devs are also of a similar opinion, which is why the server has no plans to release Luclin. I'm sure everyone will miss something from subsequent expacs, but they eventually turned the game into something more akin to WoW, only easier in some ways. Not interested kthx.

In that vein, I approve the removal of global ooc/ auction. I encourage everyone to use the forum for selling items, in addition to EC. One thing I used to abhor was sitting in EC for days trying to buy a rarer item, only to never have anyone offer it, and when they did, for it to cost way more than it was worth since the guy selling it had no competition.

that is exactly whats going to happen again only it will be even more onesided since the population is smaller. there will be less of a pool to buy from, yet this change is supposed to make things cheaper <cynical laugh>

hope you guys like paying 5k for a halfing raider skullcap, or a staff of writhing.........

ps i suspect alot of the ones advocating for a removal of auction are dealers hoping to lessen the competition myself.

Elendae
05-23-2010, 12:29 PM
What magic number do all these problems go away at?

ie scam artists, difficulty finding groups, lack of economy, etc.

Everquest didn't start with 1500 people on each server peak hours. I think waiting too long to turn off global chat would have been more detrimental to the community. I'm excited to see how this all plays out.

L2Phantom
05-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Good job devs.

AR3151
05-23-2010, 12:42 PM
What magic number do all these problems go away at?

ie scam artists, difficulty finding groups, lack of economy, etc.

Everquest didn't start with 1500 people on each server peak hours. I think waiting too long to turn off global chat would have been more detrimental to the community. I'm excited to see how this all plays out.

but it had more than half that during normal hours. some people enjoy the utility of auction. ooc ya fine kill it.

Malrubius
05-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys - classic EQ ftw!

Tenpin
05-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Cheers. See you in EC.

Skaff
05-23-2010, 01:20 PM
I sincerely hope idiots like you leave P99 and go back to playing on live.

I would hardly call the guy an idiot for the comment. Aside from that, well done with making a decision and sticking by it. I was 50/50 on the global chat issue but I really like to see the development team sticking close to classic as possible.

L2Phantom
05-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Just logged in, noticed guild chat is WAY more active than ever before and the LFG tool is being used more. GREAT change.

Shawk
05-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Just logged in, noticed guild chat is WAY more active than ever before and the LFG tool is being used more. GREAT change.

This.

Local OOC/AUC changes everything.. for the better.

Ceridain
05-23-2010, 02:16 PM
WTG Devs! I'll see you all in EC :D

Kainzo
05-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Awesome change. This will make joining a guild more worth while for the lower levels too.

Arkanjil
05-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Full of awesome! 85 people in EC!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/Arkanjil_photos/EQ000095.jpg

kai4785
05-23-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm just glad I don't have to look at a full-screen spell book in order to meditate. Even better, was when you played at 1024x768, and your spell book changed your resolution to 800x600. So every time you got hit while reading your spell book (which was 50% of the time you had it open) you had to wait nearly a full second (or 2) before you could do anything about it :) hahaha....

Promise me that we aren't going THAT classic.....

I'll miss the global OOC. It's as spooky quiet now as it was then.... Never liked it, but it does make it more Classic :)

stormlord
05-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Not having global chat is going to ruin this server. My whole guild is leaving now and all my friends. I thought this server was firstly about fun and secondly about classic, but now I know that's not true. I am glad that the truth finally came out. I will miss the people, but I won't miss the server. Goodbye.

J/k. Just kidding! Can't I joke sometimes?

I was suggesting filtering global chat by city as a transitional fix until it's removed, but now that it's removed all I can do is put my best foot forward (and hope the other one follows) and hope for the best.

To those who don't know, if this doesn't work, they can always change it back. I'm going to give it a chance before assuming failure. It's hard to define failure, but I think the polls work good.

See everyone in-game.

Phallax
05-23-2010, 04:17 PM
I still dont get the whole splooge fest over using EC tunnel or any trade hub, its not that big of a deal. But am extremely glad globals are gone.

BuzWeaver
05-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Glad to see that the verbal diarrhea has been treated. ;)

girth
05-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Phallax, nostalgia is the main reason, but there are other ones too. The social aspect of actually seeing 80+ instead of hearing them - the ability to have a bazaar type atmosphere - AND ITS FUCKING EC TUNNEL TIME TO FUCKING PARTY WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Personally I prefer to do my trading in bunches instead of spamming auction and running to NFP from Feerrott for 1 item. Now I can mule my stuff and when I'm not busy on my main I can sell wares and inspect all the ubers and drool.

Shrubwise
05-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Congratulations Devs, I (and many others) feel like this is a great move in the right direction.

KillerBladeImmortal
05-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Oh noes, now this server is even worse...

:( :( :(

Xebarsis
05-23-2010, 07:27 PM

You should get your money back.

KillerBladeImmortal
05-23-2010, 07:33 PM

Can i just get my fun back? Oh wait nevermind, that wasn't classic either.

L2Phantom
05-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Can i just get my fun back?

-1 retard server celebrity in global /ooc, SCOREEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

oldhead
05-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooo!!!

Shawk
05-23-2010, 10:41 PM

2 posts and counting!

Malrubius
05-23-2010, 10:43 PM
INCOMING! Lots more old-school EQers. :D:D:D

Xantarr
05-23-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm selling a Robe of the Elements for 300pp, Obsidian Scimitar for 100pp, and a Fire Crystal Staff for 100pp.

All are available for those prices OBO.

Please hit me up, I can't sell anything in this EC zone like I used to be able to :(

oldhead
05-23-2010, 11:15 PM
For all you nay sayers.... eat it~

nalkin
05-23-2010, 11:48 PM
uhhh... where is everyone, sorta quiet out here?

Nen
05-24-2010, 12:08 AM
OMG the game didn't cease to exist without trolls in OOC? No wai!

Great change. Thanks for not giving in to the terrorist (trolls) threats of leaving. If you don't want to play here because you can no longer vomit your opinion for everyone to see on a constant-stream-of-thought-basis, go somewhere else. Thanks. :D

L2Phantom
05-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Seriously, as soon as I read it was gone I WANTED to log in and play more. It's so much more relaxing and homely without the religious and political banter. Guild chat was pumping.

Elendae
05-24-2010, 12:23 AM
It's better than I had imagined. I hope the good spirits keep up.

eqdruid76
05-24-2010, 12:30 AM

There's the door. =========>

r0xx0r
05-24-2010, 01:26 AM
im so happy inside!

Bones
05-24-2010, 01:31 AM
OMG the game didn't cease to exist without trolls in OOC? No wai!

Great change. Thanks for not giving in to the terrorist (trolls) threats of leaving. If you don't want to play here because you can no longer vomit your opinion for everyone to see on a constant-stream-of-thought-basis, go somewhere else. Thanks. :D

This.

Cheech
05-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Ec tunnel was booming! Im so happy you guys did this change. thanks!! :)

hyzon
05-24-2010, 02:41 AM
Devs!

I didn't want, any--thing else, but when I think think ABOUT this I touch myself!

<3

I have a window I can delete off my screen and stop minimizing when I login!

choklo
05-24-2010, 03:06 AM
I wish we had global auction. Now I have to go waste time sitting in EC instead of playing. I'll now only be able to buy/sell to 50-100 people in EC instead of the 600+ online.
The only thing this helps is spam. It also makes the game seem less alive as ooc is almost silent. Live had thousands online at a time in 1999/2000 not just 300-650.

Peppermint
05-24-2010, 03:43 AM
Awesome guys! Noticed it yesterday when went down for a patch :p I was suprised to see how live and chatty ooc was ZONE ONLY. (in L guk) also i noticed immedeately people started using / all lfg since i started getting tells from all over the world to come group =)

This could be a really good thing! People just need to start using /friends

Ihealyou
05-24-2010, 03:51 AM
I got a group 3 minutes after I put lfg up, and then proceeded to get 2 and a half levels. So far, I approve.

KillerBladeImmortal
05-24-2010, 04:01 AM
Wow all those people sucking up to GMs. EC trading is garbage, PERIOD. If you like it, you're also garbage, PERIOD.

Hell if they released gates of discord tomorrow, you would be all like:

AWESOME JOB MISTA GM

YOU SUO COOL

LEEEEEEEEETS PAAARTYTYYTYTYTY

OH SO CLASSIC, SWEET MAN

COOL STUFF GUYS

Cronoclops
05-24-2010, 04:13 AM
Wow all those people sucking up to GMs. EC trading is garbage, PERIOD. If you like it, you're also garbage, PERIOD.

Hell if they released gates of discord tomorrow, you would be all like:

AWESOME JOB MISTA GM

YOU SUO COOL

LEEEEEEEEETS PAAARTYTYYTYTYTY

OH SO CLASSIC, SWEET MAN

COOL STUFF GUYS

Butthurt and bitter party of one?...Or is that party of two?

KillerBladeImmortal
05-24-2010, 04:23 AM
Butthurt

Yes the server?

But srs bro I'm 50, i got my nostalgia fix.

Doesnt change the fact this game just got worse then it already was :( :( :(

/ponders

pickled_heretic
05-24-2010, 04:51 AM
Every zone EXCEPT for EC and probably oasis is completely dead now. It feels like the server went from booming to completely vacant in the space of a day.

FearsEdge
05-24-2010, 05:07 AM
I'm not sure why anyone would think that sitting in ec to auction things is better. If I want to sell my crap I have to go there now. If want to know what people are selling, I have to go there now. What a waste of time. Do anything in this game takes long enough, someone thought auction should take way more time than it already did? The game got lamer overnight. I feel like my plat just got more heavy and less useful.

Thrymm
05-24-2010, 07:34 AM
woot!

Jael
05-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Purist suck. By their own definition they are unable to be flexible and accord anyone else with a differing opinion the possibility of being correct.

I'm sad you decided to side with the purists even though , as per your own poll the users of your server 50% of the population would have preferred you kept global /ooc & /auction. Had I been in town and known that a deciding vote was being taken I surely would have made time to share my opinion with you. :)

But hey, I suppose if I don't like it, I can always make my own server and sit there (quietly) by myself. Oh wait. I'm doing that right now, aren't I? ;)

spoolie
05-24-2010, 08:03 AM
ya def not a fan of the channels being taken away, but just 1 day of running around it just feels like a dead server now. I know its not a dead server, but running through 10+ zones earlier and saw 1 ooc chat. I know people were getting fed up with the drug/religion/politics/And you love it crap. Big deal turn off OOC if you didn't like it. you know you had that option right? Being a cleric sitting on my ass 80% of the time it was at least entertaining sometimes. But people may say "spoolie why not just talk to your group and be social?" You know what even now 10 years later some people just are not that talkative in groups so it was always nice being able to talk to the people that were in the OOC. We are not the population of classic eq, and as much as you want to keep it completely classic somethings are just better updated with the times. There is no reason to cut ourselves off from one another. I seriously think it was a little to early to be taking them away. just my 2 copper pieces

Beef
05-24-2010, 08:33 AM
ya def not a fan of the channels being taken away, but just 1 day of running around it just feels like a dead server now. I know its not a dead server, but running through 10+ zones earlier and saw 1 ooc chat. I know people were getting fed up with the drug/religion/politics/And you love it crap. Big deal turn off OOC if you didn't like it. you know you had that option right? Being a cleric sitting on my ass 80% of the time it was at least entertaining sometimes. But people may say "spoolie why not just talk to your group and be social?" You know what even now 10 years later some people just are not that talkative in groups so it was always nice being able to talk to the people that were in the OOC. We are not the population of classic eq, and as much as you want to keep it completely classic somethings are just better updated with the times. There is no reason to cut ourselves off from one another. I seriously think it was a little to early to be taking them away. just my 2 copper pieces

I warned of this last week but I was ignored and called names etc. but whatever I love playing here so I've turned off ooc for good.

Stickyfingers
05-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Well no shit the zones are dead. There are probably an average of 5 people per zone now, any idiot could have seen that happening. I like the change, I feel it wasn't the right time though. The population should have been a bit bigger in my opinion, but, what can ya do? The only thing this change does, is makes the game slower, but isn't that what made it great? The fact that you struggled to do things at times, but ultimately you prevailed.

Shurid
05-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Devs!

I didn't want, any--thing else, but when I think think ABOUT this I touch myself!

<3

I have a window I can delete off my screen and stop minimizing when I login!

Multiple chat windows were not classic.

moebius8
05-24-2010, 09:07 AM
making it harder to communicate may be classic, its still retarded. If you play non peak you may as well find another game/server because the game just became even more suck for you. would it be technically feasible to put in globals during the hours of say 10PM to 7AM est during none peak hours when it will be freaking impossible to do anything unless you solo?

AR3151
05-24-2010, 09:18 AM
I wish we had global auction. Now I have to go waste time sitting in EC instead of playing. I'll now only be able to buy/sell to 50-100 people in EC instead of the 600+ online.
The only thing this helps is spam. It also makes the game seem less alive as ooc is almost silent. Live had thousands online at a time in 1999/2000 not just 300-650.

exactly, now i have to sit in EC and hope someone has an item im needing, just to waste time when i could be gaining levels. :(

rockhopper
05-24-2010, 09:18 AM
This action makes me happy, and more likely to play.

Stickyfingers
05-24-2010, 09:31 AM
exactly, now i have to sit in EC and hope someone has an item im needing, just to waste time when i could be gaining levels. :(

I know right? Isn't it unfortunate that not all of us live off welfare checks and live unemployed? Then we could play Everquest all day long!

Jael
05-24-2010, 09:44 AM
This action makes me happy, and more likely to play.

Good. Because I expect more of you Purist-types to run around following me to keep me company and entertained. Extra points for anyone who doesn't train me... or KS me...or otherwise make me loose EXP.

Shall we start a list or peoples/times/zones? Who shall be first? I must warn y'all I've been so bored this morning, I'm about to watch Dr. Phil. :(

:D

Thac0
05-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Voting to turn off OOC is like voting yes to Prop 8 in California. No reason to do so other than to make things harder for other folks you dont like , and when asked why?

Tradition...

AR3151
05-24-2010, 11:15 AM
I know right? Isn't it unfortunate that not all of us live off welfare checks and live unemployed? Then we could play Everquest all day long!

thats correct, i have a job and family :)

Brut
05-24-2010, 11:19 AM
So has anyone seen a lvl1 dwarf called Ivvwvwvwwivvwvwvw in Kaladim OOCing crap about mexicans yet for hours on end?

Agaron
05-24-2010, 11:29 AM
The population should have been a bit bigger in my opinion

Ding ding ding. There's a difference between having the entire ec tunnel filled with people like live, and having 20 people sitting at the entrance, with the same 5 people auctioning crap. It's even harder to sell your goods. It's pointless with a population this small. I had a /who of 60 people in ec when there was 200 on server. Bet other zones were poppin? I'm sorry, but this change seems as dumb as custom stuff in a classic server. I can imagine people leaving from this.

Kuron
05-24-2010, 11:30 AM
*waves* Bye bye!

Webwolf
05-24-2010, 11:39 AM
I got mixed feelings about this. I did enjoy seeing the EC tunnel come alive again but I also did notice that it became harder to buy and sell items. About server wide OOC I won't miss it, most of the time I had it filtered to my spam window along with melee and spell dmg. It would be nice if the devs added something cool to EC to make up for it like a banker so we don't have to be running between EC and NFP in order to complete a trade.

moebius8
05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
I got mixed feelings about this. I did enjoy seeing the EC tunnel come alive again but I also did notice that it became harder to buy and sell items. About server wide OOC I won't miss it, most of the time I had it filtered to my spam window along with melee and spell dmg. It would be nice if the devs added something cool to EC to make up for it like a banker so we don't have to be running between EC and NFP in order to complete a trade.

not classic the purists would cry big fat tears of blood and angst, run forrest run.

Agaron
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
About server wide OOC I won't miss it, most of the time I had it filtered to my spam window along with melee and spell dmg.

My guess is this change was mostly put in for an easy prevention of "AND YOU LIKE IT!".

km2783
05-24-2010, 01:45 PM
thanks rogean, chat channels should not be put in, defeats the purpose...

I'm actually for it, for a couple reasons.

One, I never have to see any I don't want to join. If people want to talk politics until the cows come home, hurrah.

Two, I'd actually like a Newbie/Help channel to be there for people with questions. I'd join that one because I like helping people if I can, and I usually can or know where to find the answers :D

Detrimental things such as whole new auction and global ooc channels popping up is a strong possibility, however, which would indeed defeat the purpose =/

It would be nice if the devs added something cool to EC to make up for it like a banker so we don't have to be running between EC and NFP in order to complete a trade.

A Shady Banker. He is a human in banded, hangs out next to his buddy the Swashbuckler, and shortchanges you by 10% :D

stormlord
05-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Well no shit the zones are dead. There are probably an average of 5 people per zone now, any idiot could have seen that happening. I like the change, I feel it wasn't the right time though. The population should have been a bit bigger in my opinion, but, what can ya do? The only thing this change does, is makes the game slower, but isn't that what made it great? The fact that you struggled to do things at times, but ultimately you prevailed.

I agree. I voted no on the poll, waiting for 1000+ population. But the choice was made to remove it. I'm not here to oppose the people who run this server. It's all in our attitude. I'm here to enjoy this game. I'm going to do everything I can to give it a good shot. I'm not going to throw my dreams away over this. I think people have to be stronger than that. I'm not going to make this a self-fulfilling prophecy. Yes, I felt that the population was too low, but I'm not going to let that stop me from enjoying this game. I'm a fighter.

One thing I can say for sure is, yesterday was my first day w/o global chat. The run from qeynos to ec was a LOT faster than I remember it being. Ya, I had sow, but it still seemed a lot easier than it should have been. It felt anti-anticlimactic. When I arrived at ec, there were only 45 people. Right then I knew that, combined with the quieter /ooc, this is going to take some time to get used to. I got a nice item for cheap. I think people are selling low to compensate for everything, but if you sell too low, it's anti-climactic and defeats the purpose of playing. I know that for me, I don't want it to be easy. I appreciate help from high levels, but not too much. Maybe it's because I'm an old player and know my way around and like to do it myself. For a new player that doesn't know what I know, they appreciate the help a lot more than I do.

I guess, spread the love around. A lot people are going to need it!

Malrubius
05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Uguk was packed last night, and people were using shout AND ooc. And I even saw a couple of auctions go by. It was chaos, but good chaos.

Sure, some zones are pretty empty, just like in classic. There's no fewer people in the zones than there were before though. Just no dialog about the latest episode of Lost :rolleyes:.

Elendae
05-24-2010, 03:13 PM
I honestly think waiting for some Classic EQ peak population would have been a mistake. The shitstorm this caused was already bad enough with the pop we have now. It would have been chaos with triple the population. People will still join, the pop will increase, people will adjust.

mgellan
05-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Voting to turn off OOC is like voting yes to Prop 8 in California. No reason to do so other than to make things harder for other folks you dont like , and when asked why?

Tradition...

I'd ask wtf Prop 8 is, but then I realized I don't give a damn :)

Regards,
Mg

Thac0
05-24-2010, 03:31 PM
I'd ask wtf Prop 8 is, but then I realized I don't give a damn :)

Regards,
MgKids these days :rolleyes:

Tallenn
05-24-2010, 03:50 PM
I honestly think waiting for some Classic EQ peak population would have been a mistake. The shitstorm this caused was already bad enough with the pop we have now. It would have been chaos with triple the population. People will still join, the pop will increase, people will adjust.

this

Bones
05-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Bet other zones were poppin? I'm sorry, but this change seems as dumb as custom stuff in a classic server. I can imagine people leaving from this.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Packet
05-24-2010, 04:14 PM
I think we can still cater to everyone if you think about it. How about we just each get an IRC client and use that instead? This way we don't have to have the, "What? You want OOC and you're upset it's gone? Well go play another server!" attitude. We can always find a way around things to create some sort of harmony.

Dantes
05-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Glad to hear this was implemented. One of the first things that annoyed me after starting on P99 a couple months ago was the frequent garbage spewed in OOC every 3-5 seconds. If I want to chat, I'll join a group and chat with those folks, or join a guild and chat with those folks. We can all talk about how great the latest craptastic superhero movie sequel was and have a grand ole time.

The feeling of isolation being out in the middle of nowhere with hardly any people was actually an exciting part of the game during live. As a new player I was scared to death the first time I ventured out to the Karanas. It's not the same with OOC folks asking "When is kunark being released?" for the 1,000,000th time.

If I need help to get from point A to point B, I need to run and find it -- same as it was in 99. If you can't handle it, maybe play an easier game?

Stickyfingers
05-24-2010, 04:48 PM

If the server had triple the population, there would be no worry....the server population at low times would be the max of what it is now.

Elendae
05-24-2010, 05:15 PM
If the server had triple the population, there would be no worry....the server population at low times would be the max of what it is now.

I guarantee the same portion of the population would still want global chat to remain indefinitely or would want to wait for a higher population. It happened when there was 200 people, it happened with 500 people, it'll happen with 1500.

postmoderntease0
05-24-2010, 06:17 PM
I guarantee the same portion of the population would still want global chat to remain indefinitely or would want to wait for a higher population. It happened when there was 200 people, it happened with 500 people, it'll happen with 1500.

Except... pretty much everyone who wanted it removed at a higher population has always given the 1000-1500 figure range. Of course they said that at both 200 and 500-- those figures fall far short of 1000-1500 >_<

I wish there could be a global auction channel, too; the problem is that trolls would just use it instead of OOC.

I say again-- EVERYONE USE THE FORUMS AS WELL AS EC TUNNEL TO AUCTION ITEMS. It requires things to stay personal while also allowing much of the same functionality of both The Bazaar and global /auc.

Just my 2cp.

Elendae
05-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Everyone now are quoting 1000-1500, but back at 200 peak hours people wanted 500, 500 at peak hours wanted 700. It's never going to satisfy that group of people. I said in another thread, I think waiting too long would have been detrimental to the server. People got too comfortable with global chat being around.

postmoderntease0
05-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Ah well, I suppose we can only speak for our own experiences. I, at least, have always seen people talking about removing it when server population reaches numbers like live, which would be 1000+. I suppose, to be fair, actual values weren't quoted, people just said something to the effect of "when population is as high as it was on live."

The point is taken though. Everyone gets too comfy with what's easy and then misses it when it's gone. I think that's pretty much true, regardless. Better to cut it out now before it gets even harder, later.

r0xx0r
05-24-2010, 10:08 PM
would of been much better if it was never around to begin with, server population should not determine if we should have global chat or not. use /tell, use /who- use your brain...

I love the old feel that has just come back, So happy this global crap is behind us now. Long live the classic!

mahatten

FearsEdge
05-25-2010, 12:00 AM
ug. I've been to ec twice now to try and sell stuff or buy stuff. It was a huge waste of time. I sold nothing, I bought nothing, just sat there, waiting. I could have been in any other zone doing anything else, but since I wanted to actually use the loot I got, I had to waste time in that zone. I again ask, who thought that going to the bank, getting all your stuff/money, going to ec to sit and ultimately do nothing and have to bring all your stuff back to the bank was better than global auction? Really, someone tell me why this is better(note "classic" does not mean "better").

frediveli
05-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Ok, We tried the whole EC tunnel thing and it has failed miserably.

Hopefully this weekend things will be BACK to normal...

eqdruid76
05-25-2010, 12:18 AM
ug. I've been to ec twice now to try and sell stuff or buy stuff. It was a huge waste of time. I sold nothing, I bought nothing, just sat there, waiting. I could have been in any other zone doing anything else, but since I wanted to actually use the loot I got, I had to waste time in that zone. I again ask, who thought that going to the bank, getting all your stuff/money, going to ec to sit and ultimately do nothing and have to bring all your stuff back to the bank was better than global auction? Really, someone tell me why this is better(note "classic" does not mean "better").

Doesn't matter if it's better or not. The entire point of the existence of this server is to emulate Everquest as it existed in 1999. I have tried so hard to understand why people who hate everything about classic EQ continue to play on this server, and I just can't. If you want a more convenient gaming experience, go play on another server. How freaking hard is that to understand?? Very, apparently....

L2Phantom
05-25-2010, 12:20 AM

Sorry, staying as is. Tough luck broski.

Malrubius
05-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Ok, I tried the whole EC tunnel thing and I have failed miserably.

Fixed.

eqdruid76
05-25-2010, 12:24 AM

Exactly how is it failed? Because you didn't sell your overpriced gear in 10 minutes?....

There are 60+ people in the same zone, chilling out, having fun, socializing, and plying their trades. The only failure around here is the QQ from whiney little bizzos who are upset because they have to actually LOOK for a group, actually have to look up info they don't know, and have to hold their own member when they take a whizz.

Let me taste your tears of mansuck...

FearsEdge
05-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Doesn't matter if it's better or not. The entire point of the existence of this server is to emulate Everquest as it existed in 1999. I have tried so hard to understand why people who hate everything about classic EQ continue to play on this server, and I just can't. If you want a more convenient gaming experience, go play on another server. How freaking hard is that to understand?? Very, apparently....

Does it matter that we had a system that was working just fine 2 days ago, and now we don't? Help me understand why going from more to less functional is desirable. Links are not classic, having google with all the info you need on how to get stuff is not classic. Qued tells are not classic. Not having to pay for a server is not classic. Evidently ease of use and fun are not classic either. Can we find some kind of middle ground, where we keep what people like about classic, and what I like about classic, and also keep what was functioning perfectly well, and in fact WAY BETTER than it is now?

Elendae
05-25-2010, 12:26 AM
It forces players who perma-camp items to leave those camps and let appropriately levelled groups move-in.
It creates a real economy, instead of what was effectively an EQ vending machine.
It slows down the transfer of items, slowing down the game in general.
It makes loot more meaningful to the average player.
Better sense of community (have fun in EC, don't just sit there like a bot).

Malrubius
05-25-2010, 12:26 AM
I gotta shout out to all the fine folks in EC helping with buffs, ports, etc. Many without even asking. If anything, this is working even better than it did in classic. Good times!

Malrubius
05-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Does it matter that we had a system that was working just fine 2 days ago, and now we don't? Help me understand why going from more to less functional is desirable. Links are not classic, having google with all the info you need on how to get stuff is not classic. Qued tells are not classic. Not having to pay for a server is not classic. Evidently ease of use and fun are not classic either. Can we find some kind of middle ground, where we keep what people like about classic, and what I like about classic, and also keep what was functioning perfectly well, and in fact WAY BETTER than it is now?

Dude - what we had 2 days ago sucked. I felt like I was playing the wow auction house or whatever it's called.

I'm sorry you don't like it old-school, inconvenient, and retro. But most of us do which is why we're here.

L2Phantom
05-25-2010, 12:32 AM
It forces players who perma-camp items to leave those camps and let appropriately levelled groups move-in.
It creates a real economy, instead of what was effectively an EQ vending machine.

This post makes a lot of sense and I agree with it actually. Never thought about it until now, even though I supported this change for other reasons (idoits in global)...

FearsEdge
05-25-2010, 12:36 AM
I have never played any other mmo before. I have no frame of reference. If you could indulge me for a moment, look at it from my perspective. I got used to the way that /ooc and /auction work, I liked being able to go to nfp bank when I was done adventuring, and seeing if I could sell a few things. Now I have to go to the bank, get anything I want to sell, get all the money I can carry without being encumbered, walk for 5 minutes over to ec just to wait for an hour for nothing to happen, so I can take all my stuff back to the bank before I can go adventuring again. There are about 4 or 5 steps and much more time that were added to the buying/selling process overnight. I never played classic, or anything else. From my perspective, everything just got more boring, tedious, and time consuming for no good reason.

L2Phantom
05-25-2010, 12:39 AM
From my perspective, everything just got more boring, tedious, and time consuming for no good reason.

You just described classic everquest in one sentence. :)

FearsEdge
05-25-2010, 12:51 AM

No, it doesn't force anyone to leave. They can just sit there and try and sell from that spot, since they know that people need the items they are camping. I've done it before. I've camped items and sold them to people in zone so I don't have to leave.
Shoving a server-wide economy into one zone is not creating an economy.
Slowing things down for the sake of them being slow only accomplishes more wasted time and boredom.
How does it make loot more meaningful? By having to run to one zone instead of selling/buying wherever? How does that make anything more meaningful?

But ignoring all of that, assuming you are right, none of that outweighs the amount of tedium that was just added to the game. The game definitely got more lame overnight. And don't misunderstand me, I don't mind challenge. I don't like meaningless tedium added for no reason.

FearsEdge
05-25-2010, 01:09 AM
You just described classic everquest in one sentence. :)

The more people use the word "classic" in this context, the more it sounds like a pejorative to me.

moebius8
05-25-2010, 01:24 AM
The more people use the word "classic" in this context, the more it sounds like a pejorative to me.

they like the feeling of winning some sort of victory for "classic" over ez mode,
let them see if they feel the same way in a month. On a server with no boxing unless your already 50 and geared its hard to justify sitting on your ass in ec.
once the under 50 crowd realizes that they are being passed over because they are wasting time the tunnel will not be as attractive.
dunno where what they will QQ about it since they will come off as hypocritical idiots whom i will enjoy mocking if they do.

Thorjorkill
05-25-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm just wondering why anyone is discussing this anymore? Its a done deal, and a long time coming. (retarded or not finawin)

I'm certainly happy not to have the home shopping network running anymore, along with an episode of jack-ass simultaniously.

Thanks Devs!

eqdruid76
05-25-2010, 02:34 AM
they like the feeling of winning some sort of victory for "classic" over ez mode,
let them see if they feel the same way in a month. On a server with no boxing unless your already 50 and geared its hard to justify sitting on your ass in ec.
once the under 50 crowd realizes that they are being passed over because they are wasting time the tunnel will not be as attractive.
dunno where what they will QQ about it since they will come off as hypocritical idiots whom i will enjoy mocking if they do.

You're assuming everyone on this server is a powergamer like you. You are very much mistaken.

mommylover
05-25-2010, 05:12 AM
You're assuming everyone on this server is a powergamer like you. You are very much mistaken.

Do you even read what people write? Or do you just come up with your own bullshit to fit your agenda?

He is saying the exactly opposite, but you clearly have no knowledge about anything whatsoever. Please take your banded armor to torch 1 and try selling it okay???

On another note.

12 people in EC
6 is afk
No chatting
No nothing
For 10 minutes
/quit

I AM DISSAPOINT!!

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1329/eq000027.jpg

eqdruid76
05-25-2010, 05:19 AM
I've been in EC for about 10 minutes, and it's been very profitable for me.

Ur doing it wrong.

mommylover
05-25-2010, 05:22 AM
I've been in EC for about 10 minutes, and it's been very profitable for me.

Ur doing it wrong.

I've just been in EC for about 10 minutes, and it's been the worst experience since I started.

Stop lying.

Ur doing it wrong.

eqdruid76
05-25-2010, 05:43 AM
I've just been in EC for about 10 minutes, and it's been the worst experience since I started.

Stop lying.

Ur doing it wrong.

So, are you purposefully being a tremendous douchebag? Or are you just unaware that is how you're presenting yourself?

It's not my problem if you're miserable playing the game you pay zero dollars to play. No one is making you play. No one is making you stay. No one is making you complain.

And if standing in a tunnel for 10 minutes is the worst experience you've ever had on this server, then for Christ's sake, you're the luckiest person on the face of the Earth.................

mommylover
05-25-2010, 05:46 AM
So, are you purposefully being a tremendous douchebag? Or are you just unaware that is how you're presenting yourself?

It's not my problem if you're miserable playing the game you pay zero dollars to play. No one is making you play. No one is making you stay. No one is making you complain.

And if standing in a tunnel for 10 minutes is the worst experience you've ever had on this server, then for Christ's sake, you're the luckiest person on the face of the Earth.................

It's not my problem if you're miserable reading about bad game changes. No one is making you reply. No one is making you stay. No one is making you complain.

And if standing in a tunnel for 10 minutes is the best experience you've ever had on this server, then for Christ's sake, you're the saddest person on the face of the Earth.................[/QUOTE]

mitic
05-25-2010, 05:49 AM
id place a banker at shady to make everyone happy. its not classic but this would stop the QQ

eqdruid76
05-25-2010, 05:56 AM
I am an unrepentant sociopath.

Fixed.

eqdruid76
05-25-2010, 06:02 AM
Now comes the part where mommylover flies off the handle because I point out that his defense mechanism is to simply copy the person that's owning him.

Observe.

eqdruid76
05-25-2010, 06:08 AM
See? :)

eqdruid76
05-25-2010, 06:13 AM
Yes eqdruid76, I SEE THE LIGHT .

I see how incredibly stupid you are.

I feel so sorry for you :(

But the good news is I sold everything I set out to. $$$$ Bedtime. :)

eqdruid76
05-25-2010, 06:18 AM
I feel sorry for you, staying up past 6am.

It's been fun, and I know your psychosis requires you to always have the last word, so you're welcome to it. Just keep in mind, we BOTH look like idiots now. I am fine with that, are you? /wave

Tseng
05-25-2010, 06:38 AM
This got real mature.

Also, I'm at work, so I have an excuse for being up.

Leokaiser
05-25-2010, 08:29 AM
I never managed to sell much on Live at EC tunnel as I didn't have the time and the patience for it, and what I did sell was priced much lower than its worth so I could get on to doing other things. I expect it will pretty much be the same here; being an EC trader just doesn't float my boat.

That said, there are many people who really enjoy the act of buying and selling, and this can only be done effectively in a market where goods are not available to eveyone, at any time due, to a global auction channel. Furthermore, the social aspect EC tunnel is fun for a lot of people, not least the lowbies who can go there and get buffed up the rear to smooth over the early leveling process.

Regardless on your opinion however, why anyone would expect the devs or other players to listen to you and take you seriously if you can't post your reasons for or against this change in a considerate, respectful and constructive manner is beyond me. I personally wish the moderaters were more liberal in their application of the banhammer over the vitriol that is spewed over these forums.

Lazortag
05-25-2010, 08:54 AM
I am 100% neutral on this issue, but just wanted to mention one thing: people, I hope this teaches you to learn to fucking make money, because it's do or die now without the global auction channel. One observation I have made again and again about Everquest players is that they are unfathomably bad at making money. People tell me that they can't afford their spells at level 4, that their life savings at level 10 are only 22 platinum (for non-casters even), etc, etc, etc. Here's some advice:

-Buy 8 backpacks and fill the bank with them

-Fill those backpacks with bone chips, pelts (of all qualities - eventually someone will buy them), spider(ling) silks, Deathfist/Crushbone Belts/Pads, etc.

-Create a hotkey with /auction WTS (...) and modify it whenever you sell stuff.

As much as I want to have all the moneyz for myself, I can never understand why people don't take the time to enterprise in this game and then complain about how they find it hard to make money, even without global ooc/auction.

/end rant

mistersuits
05-25-2010, 09:44 AM
My playtime is right now, and instead of being able to sell items as usual there's 20 players in EC and only one other person auctioning. Sadness. Technically "classic" but that doesn't make it automatically best for P1999.

My donation hand is ready to contribute again should this non-classic but, imo, game enhancing feature return to the game!

Malrubius
05-25-2010, 10:01 AM
My playtime is right now, and instead of being able to sell items as usual there's 20 players in EC and only one other person auctioning. Sadness. Technically "classic" but that doesn't make it automatically best for P1999.

My donation hand is ready to contribute again should this non-classic but, imo, game enhancing feature return to the game!

Then I'm afraid you're gonna need to find something else to do with that hand. :eek:

moebius8
05-25-2010, 01:13 PM
if you play off peak with this change you will almost have to roll to a solo class, dont let the sweetness and light crowd bullshit you playing off peak on this server is damn near impossible if you cant solo. It was bad enough before the loss of globals now its just going to suck.

ryuut1
05-25-2010, 01:32 PM
so if we're going for such classic feels, when can us rogue pick pocket magic items?

Kreigore
05-25-2010, 04:22 PM
I am disappoint.

I agree with turning /ooc off, but only when the population reached a necessary threshold. In my opinion, it would have been closer to 800 characters online - not 600-ish as it currently stands.

It's slightly more difficult to find a group. I wish more people would use /lfg and lose /anon or /role. I'm guessing a lot more characters will be found in the more highly populated zones, increasing the insanity - but who knows.

stormlord
05-25-2010, 05:23 PM
I am 100% neutral on this issue, but just wanted to mention one thing: people, I hope this teaches you to learn to fucking make money, because it's do or die now without the global auction channel. One observation I have made again and again about Everquest players is that they are unfathomably bad at making money. People tell me that they can't afford their spells at level 4, that their life savings at level 10 are only 22 platinum (for non-casters even), etc, etc, etc. Here's some advice:

-Buy 8 backpacks and fill the bank with them

-Fill those backpacks with bone chips, pelts (of all qualities - eventually someone will buy them), spider(ling) silks, Deathfist/Crushbone Belts/Pads, etc.

-Create a hotkey with /auction WTS (...) and modify it whenever you sell stuff.

As much as I want to have all the moneyz for myself, I can never understand why people don't take the time to enterprise in this game and then complain about how they find it hard to make money, even without global ooc/auction.

/end rant

22 platinum is probably high for level 10 unless you've tried to make money. This situation could turn around some if [magic] weapons were more available in some cities. A lot of willowisps are living free and overpopulating the landscape. The numbers of these pests could be reduced by enterprising players. Another thing they can do is learn. Some quests reward handsomely - sometimes it's plat, other times an item you can sell. Keep your weight low by buying large bags or large sewing kits for storing loot. Etc. I'm an old player, and I'm still learning! There's no way a new person can get to level 20 as quickly as they do and know a significant fraction. These zones were meant to be loved and they don't give you their secrets without adequate investment.

And btw I don't think I had 22 plat at level 10. Just goes to show you how much I have to learn. In 1999 I might have, but that's because I didn't turn in gnoll fangs back then. Didn't know about it.

eqdruid76
05-25-2010, 05:45 PM
For all the bitching and moaning, I'd like to point out that the server population is exactly the same now as it was before serverwide chat was removed.

No one's quitting, they're just complaining. And that is what online gamers do.

nilbog
05-25-2010, 05:48 PM
For all the bitching and moaning, I'd like to point out that the server population is exactly the same now as it was before serverwide chat was removed.

New server high last night.

Max Players: 724

Tallenn
05-25-2010, 06:42 PM
22 platinum is probably high for level 10 unless you've tried to make money. This situation could turn around some if [magic] weapons were more available in some cities. A lot of willowisps are living free and overpopulating the landscape. The numbers of these pests could be reduced by enterprising players. Another thing they can do is learn. Some quests reward handsomely - sometimes it's plat, other times an item you can sell. Keep your weight low by buying large bags or large sewing kits for storing loot. Etc. I'm an old player, and I'm still learning! There's no way a new person can get to level 20 as quickly as they do and know a significant fraction. These zones were meant to be loved and they don't give you their secrets without adequate investment.

And btw I don't think I had 22 plat at level 10. Just goes to show you how much I have to learn. In 1999 I might have, but that's because I didn't turn in gnoll fangs back then. Didn't know about it.

It's just a matter of knowing where to hunt and what to kill while you're leveling. You'd think that a server full of EQ veterans would know these things, or at least take the initiative to look them up. The information is out there.

If anyone is poor, it's because they lack any initiative to do something about it.

eqdruid76
05-25-2010, 06:55 PM
New server high last night.

Max Players: 724

Huzzah!

Lazortag
05-25-2010, 08:50 PM
It's just a matter of knowing where to hunt and what to kill while you're leveling. You'd think that a server full of EQ veterans would know these things, or at least take the initiative to look them up. The information is out there.

If anyone is poor, it's because they lack any initiative to do something about it.

To be honest, I agree with this sentiment - I am probably one of the noobiest players on the server (back in the day I never got above level 30 and was really bad) but I still learned to take initiative and make money. See an enemy with a staff? Kill it before anyone else does. See a whole bunch of decaying skeletons? Kill them, take the bone chips, and for fuck's sake don't sell them to merchants! I can't believe it when I see bone chips for sale at a vendor.

Omnimorph
05-26-2010, 08:59 AM
On classic at level 10 i was lucky if i'd gotten enough money to buy that robe your guild merchant sells (exactly the same as starting robe but with +1 mana)

I see people here with 80-90 pp by level 10. Simply from knowing what you can sell to players. Silks, DF belts etc. 1pp and 3pp each, this is information i never knew on classic, but know now.

Khebahl
05-26-2010, 09:25 AM
...don't sell them to merchants! I can't believe it when I see bone chips for sale at a vendor.

I love it! But then again, I play a Necro :)

Atern
05-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Well... for better or worse, it's a lot harder for me to find groups now.

But, it is what it is.

AR3151
05-26-2010, 09:44 AM
On classic at level 10 i was lucky if i'd gotten enough money to buy that robe your guild merchant sells (exactly the same as starting robe but with +1 mana)

I see people here with 80-90 pp by level 10. Simply from knowing what you can sell to players. Silks, DF belts etc. 1pp and 3pp each, this is information i never knew on classic, but know now.

this is true, go to blackburrow, grind from lvl 4 to 6 collect teeth, the warrior GM (i believe) gives you 5gp per tooth and an item, some of the laterns sell for 2-5gpish.

save 25+ teeth, things add up.

km2783
05-26-2010, 11:16 AM
this is true, go to blackburrow, grind from lvl 4 to 6 collect teeth, the warrior GM (i believe) gives you 5gp per tooth and an item, some of the laterns sell for 2-5gpish.

Woman in the Halas Warrior guild, at The Pit of Doom. I forget her name but she's the only woman there.

nicemace
05-26-2010, 11:42 AM

kinda like how people bitched and moaned about global ooc/auction being on. lol...

its not just online gamers, its human nature to complain, get used to it.

ive got to agree with what was said about off peak times... this server is dreadful if you play at weird server hours, cant box, cant group, cant do shit except grind out pathetic exp and be content because you really have no other options.

thankfully i can solo fine so im not too phased. sure i would prefer it be on, but dosent really bother me if its off.

still heaps happy with the server, keep up the awesome work devs!

Packet
05-26-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm content with OOC and Auction being disabled server-wide but I still think a universal alternative should be met. Channels could easily resolve whining so everyone is happy.

Kainzo
05-26-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm content with OOC and Auction being disabled server-wide but I still think a universal alternative should be met. Channels could easily resolve whining so everyone is happy.

not everyone was happy in classic / kunark / veilous. Though I'm in a slight agreement. I liked the server wide "Class" channel chats in PoP etc ... but it wasn't class.

Then again, my vision of what "classic" was dead post 2003-4.

Feather
05-27-2010, 08:30 PM
I remember having to travel to the zone and then sending out /ooc to find a group (not the other way around). It was just part of the classic.

SpartanEQ
05-28-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm guessing it takes bringing down the server to switch, but wouldn't it be cool if global /ooc /auc turned on/off based upon how many people were logged in?

< 200 = on
>= 200 = off

Impossible, I know, but still. :)

Winkledu
05-28-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm glad the EC tunnell is finally populated with players, and I agree that if the purpose of the server's existence is to emulate Classic Everquest, then there should be no means for all players across the game world to communicate en masse inside the game.

Having said that, I could really do without the GMs resizing players at the tunnel entrance. That is as equally un-classic as serverwide chat, and kind of annoying for everyone over 11 years of age.

Malrubius
05-28-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm glad the EC tunnell is finally populated with players, and I agree that if the purpose of the server's existence is to emulate Classic Everquest, then there should be no means for all players across the game world to communicate en masse inside the game.

Having said that, I could really do without the GMs resizing players at the tunnel entrance. That is as equally un-classic as serverwide chat, and kind of annoying for everyone over 11 years of age.

I think (hope) that that is just a temporary event - perhaps to celebrate the return of EC tunnel? I don't think you'll see that, or the froggies, much longer.

Winkledu
05-28-2010, 08:44 PM
I think (hope) that that is just a temporary event - perhaps to celebrate the return of EC tunnel? I don't think you'll see that, or the froggies, much longer.

/shrug on the one hand, I'm glad the GMs are actually involved with the server....so much more than the ones on live ever were. On the other, kind of hard to see much with a giant snow orc corpse covering the docks in Oasis, eh? Eh comrades?

eqdruid76
05-28-2010, 11:33 PM
kinda like how people bitched and moaned about global ooc/auction being on. lol...

its not just online gamers, its human nature to complain, get used to it.

ive got to agree with what was said about off peak times... this server is dreadful if you play at weird server hours, cant box, cant group, cant do shit except grind out pathetic exp and be content because you really have no other options.

thankfully i can solo fine so im not too phased. sure i would prefer it be on, but dosent really bother me if its off.

still heaps happy with the server, keep up the awesome work devs!

YMMV I guess. It helps if you physically go to areas where grouping happens. Sure it may be a wasted trip, but classic EQ was, by definition, and to a large extent, all about "The Wasted Trip" (TM).

So many people came to this server from PEQ, they got spoiled and have completely lost (or never had) sight of the intent and purpose of this project.

Zakaton
05-29-2010, 06:06 AM

I'm probably done. Unless you're into /auctioning in EC tunnel the server is pretty silent and dull without global /ooc.

L2Phantom
05-29-2010, 06:24 AM
I'm probably done. Unless you're into /auctioning in EC tunnel the server is pretty silent and dull without global /ooc.

Have fun playing WoW.

Kerrik
05-29-2010, 12:52 PM

Tis a horrible, horrible thing that you might have to spend your time talking to the people in the same group, or to people in your guild (if you are in a guild) rather than take part in the intelligent, well thought out and polite discussions that were taking place in /OOC before the change...

Zakaton
05-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Have fun playing WoW.

I don't play WoW.

Zakaton
05-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Tis a horrible, horrible thing that you might have to spend your time talking to the people in the same group, or to people in your guild (if you are in a guild) rather than take part in the intelligent, well thought out and polite discussions that were taking place in /OOC before the change...

I'm not in a guild, and it's rare that I see someone else on Odus at all, let alone someone to group with.

L2Phantom
05-29-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't play WoW.

You will after you quit.

Zakaton
05-29-2010, 03:57 PM
You will after you quit.

No, I won't.

But thanks for the insults folks. It helped me make up my mind not to play on the server.

mgellan
05-29-2010, 04:00 PM

Excellent XP as well!!!!

L2Phantom
05-29-2010, 04:01 PM
No, I won't.

But thanks for the insults folks. It helped me make up my mind not to play on the server.

You were already quitting, remember. Quit trying to justify it in public.

eqdruid76
05-29-2010, 04:58 PM
You were already quitting, remember. Quit trying to justify it in public.

If his skin is really that thin, and he takes so much exception to actually having to play the game instead of having others play it for him, then he should definitely quit. But he won't. He's as addicted to complaining about nothing publicly as he is to online gaming.

Shawk
05-29-2010, 06:15 PM

Gimme your items

Winston
05-29-2010, 11:38 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/nwhv61.jpg

Cyrius
05-30-2010, 01:38 AM

In fact GM events are quite classic. When the game went to Sony the events got less. Why it would annoy you is beyond me. It is no buff, no benefit, nothing but a plain illusion. People had fun there, and i am quite confident most of them have been way over 11 years old.

/shrug on the one hand, I'm glad the GMs are actually involved with the server....so much more than the ones on live ever were. On the other, kind of hard to see much with a giant snow orc corpse covering the docks in Oasis, eh? Eh comrades?

Quite impossible, since a snow orc is not a global model and is not available in oasis.

eqdruid76
05-30-2010, 02:00 AM
In fact GM events are quite classic. When the game went to Sony the events got less. Why it would annoy you is beyond me. It is no buff, no benefit, nothing but a plain illusion. People had fun there, and i am quite confident most of them have been way over 11 years old..

Aye, but they weren't throwing advanced post-PoP illusions in classic, now were they? And they certainly weren't resizing players to zone-crashing heights. And there is a big difference between a "GM Event" and casting illusions and resizing players, which never once happened in any GM even I ever witnessed.

Quite impossible, since a snow orc is not a global model and is not available in oasis.

I don't like to gainsay guides, but that is simply not true. Orc models are certainly available in Oasis, and there are four different textures to choose from, including snow orc. And everyone standing at the dock that day will vouch for that.

Destructo
05-30-2010, 02:00 AM
Sigh, did Tralina get illusion buffed in EC tunnel again?

More serverwidechat plzkthx.

Lazortag
05-30-2010, 02:20 AM
One thing I've noticed that's different now that there's no server-wide chat:

(...)

So stop complaining about it being gone.

Cyrius
05-30-2010, 02:28 AM
Aye, but they weren't throwing advanced post-PoP illusions in classic, now were they? And they certainly weren't resizing players to zone-crashing heights. And there is a big difference between a "GM Event" and casting illusions and resizing players, which never once happened in any GM even I ever witnessed.

Wich is true, and i appologize. I only used non classic models once, since people seemed to have fun. I thought the goal of a game was to have fun, right? Oh no wait, maybe i am mistaken. Continue.

I don't like to gainsay guides, but that is simply not true. Orc models are certainly available in Oasis, and there are four different textures to choose from, including snow orc. And everyone standing at the dock that day will vouch for that.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=189&stc=1&d=1275200885

It is partly true. There is a "white" texture set for the orc in oasis (left picture). But as you can see it is not the snow orc model (right picture). Of course it looks similiar, i can also assure you it was not me turning someone into a white orc.

eqdruid76
05-30-2010, 02:37 AM
Wich is true, and i appologize. I only used non classic models once, since people seemed to have fun. I thought the goal of a game was to have fun, right? Oh no wait, maybe i am mistaken. Continue.

We can have tons of fun without being changed into 200 foot tall guktans. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you guys are interactive with the community in-game, and I appreciate what you do.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=189&stc=1&d=1275200885

It is partly true. There is a "white" texture set for the orc in oasis (left picture). But as you can see it is not the snow orc model (right picture). Of course it looks similiar, i can also assure you it was not me turning someone into a white orc.

The orc on the right is a Velious model. The one on the left is a classic EQ snow orc.

Cyrius
05-30-2010, 02:54 AM
The orc on the right is a Velious model. The one on the left is a classic EQ snow orc.
Fair enought, to me the velious orcs are the snow orcs, and the other is just as you said, a regular orc wearing white.

But anyway, its a classic model. Maybe it was some distant relative, visiting his orc brothers in oasis, telling them how "cool" he realy is!

Rusttic77
05-30-2010, 04:33 AM
:pWhat the hell if we are gonna take it back, fine, im saying it; There should be no linking items..... You should have to type it out like we did , sometimes even with stats, or just throw up a bag.,,,,,,, Im OMW TO TORCH 2 !:D