PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Rog hide pulling, blatant exploit that needs to be fixed

Calabee
08-02-2012, 05:51 AM
i've seen many threads regarding ''invis'' pulling, but none talking about the biggest exploiters of all right now? Circlet of shadows / pulling while someone cast invis on you is legit, pulling with sneak / hide WHILE you are midcast (you need to bring up the ability bar) is definitly an exploit and should be fixed, you aren't allowed to use abilities mid-cast, period.

Lazortag
08-02-2012, 10:28 AM
i've seen many threads regarding ''invis'' pulling, but none talking about the biggest exploiters of all right now? Circlet of shadows / pulling while someone cast invis on you is legit, pulling with sneak / hide WHILE you are midcast (you need to bring up the ability bar) is definitly an exploit and should be fixed, you aren't allowed to use abilities mid-cast, period.

Was it like this in classic and do you have any evidence for it? Does this affect Bards also? Ie can a Bard hit hide mid-song or was that impossible in 1999 also?

Calabee
08-03-2012, 11:23 AM
u can hide yourself mid song, that's normal. but u cant do it like say mid cast a ragefire bracer clickie (long range pull item) same as with rogs with mrylo gaunt....

put an ability in your hotbar, or a macro, and try to click it mid cast. what does it say?

''you cant use that command right now''

Now why could you thru the ability page thing? that's where the exploit is coming from

Arteker
08-03-2012, 07:52 PM

the funny same shit u use for ur own exploit in sebilis woah

Nirgon
08-03-2012, 08:07 PM
You couldn't do this on classic, it is a rather major exploit.

Dullah
08-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Pretty sure that isn't classic. I don't think mob agro took into consideration faction modifiers from hide/sneak/invis. They would still social agro.

Nirgon
08-03-2012, 09:15 PM
100% definitely if you invis'd and something was chasing you and ran by something that it was "buddies" with.. the other shit would agro too.

Tarathiel
08-04-2012, 01:27 AM
this is a pretty game breaking bug, surprised it hasn't been brought up before now

Treats
08-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Wasn't aware this worked until today.

Decided to test with the old interface on EQMac.

The entire User Interface except for the chat bar should be locked out while casting a spell.

You could not do anything in the old interface -- switching targets, using abilities, etc.

Using doability in the chat bar mid cast results in:

You can't use that command while casting...

This is a rather large exploit in the Classic/Kunark/Velious era which makes pulling for a SK/Necro completely absurd.

Fazlazen
08-15-2012, 02:25 PM
I am going to bump this because I feel this needs special attention

Let me explain the bug again:

You cast a spell, you then click hide midcast (in the ability bar, it will not work if hide is in the quickbar or whatever you call it). The mob gets hit by the spell and aggroes but his friends won't aggro because you were hidden before the spell hit.

This makes it possible for ANY race/class that has hide to single pull any mob from a pack of mob that does not see invis provided they have a spell to cast on the mob. It makes rogue the best puller in the game provided they have a something like a clicky that allows them to pull mob with a spell.

It is not a special bug that gives an advantage to sks or necros only (only DE necros would profit), but sks, rangers, rogues, bards, halflings, wood elfs, dark elfs and possibly other that I don't remember at the moment. Works with sneak ? I haven't tested it out on sneak.

Tarathiel
08-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Works with sneak ? I haven't tested it out on sneak.

yes it most definitely works with sneak, as it stands a good rogue can single pull any mob in any zone any where provided that none of the mobs in the way see hide. see invis has no bearing on a rogue hide/sneak tho often times mobs that see hide also see invis. i have seen myconid king pulled to trak's lair and hiero pulled to tube room in seb by rogues if that gives you an idea of how game breaking this bug is. it should be noted again that this is completely different than an sk or necro using a CoS to pull

kanras
08-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Fixed, pending update, for sneak/hide. Fix is done server side, so the UI button is going to de-sync if you do this in the future.

Lazortag
08-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Will Bards still be able to press hide/sneak mid-song? Calabee seemed to think Bards were exempt from this restriction.

kanras
08-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Will Bards still be able to press hide/sneak mid-song? Calabee seemed to think Bards were exempt from this restriction.

Yes. They can already use hotkeys mid-song, so they'll be exempt from this as well.

Treats
08-15-2012, 06:48 PM
yes it most definitely works with sneak, as it stands a good rogue can single pull any mob in any zone any where provided that none of the mobs in the way see hide. see invis has no bearing on a rogue hide/sneak tho often times mobs that see hide also see invis. i have seen myconid king pulled to trak's lair and hiero pulled to tube room in seb by rogues if that gives you an idea of how game breaking this bug is. it should be noted again that this is completely different than an sk or necro using a CoS to pull

The reason this was so game breaking for an SK (Or DE Necro with Hide) is because of the CoS.

There is no movement reduction for an SK/Necro (they don't use sneak) and they can snare.

To pull anything solo all one had to do was:

Cast a spell on the mob you wanted out of aggro range
Click Hide during spell cast in the ability bar
Click CoS after spell finished
Take mob anywhere you want (excluding undead/past see invis of course)

Anyway, glad this is fixed.

uygi
08-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Fixed, pending update, for sneak/hide. Fix is done server side, so the UI button is going to de-sync if you do this in the future.

Would like to request (not that I'm important...) that the hide fix be held off until the wizard bolt bug is corrected (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73939). Hide pulls largely mitigate the bolt bug as far as pulling is concerned. Doing both at once makes both issues classic and preserves pulling abilities for several classes. Plate classes that can't hide would also then have the classic pulling abilities that they've never had on P99.

bamzal
08-20-2012, 05:42 PM
correct me if i am wrong, but isnt the real bug here, the fact that other mobs don't social-aggro when you pull with some type of invis?
or is that classic?

Ravager
08-29-2012, 07:31 AM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=15970

kooldae - "spawned him, pulled with mrylokers gloves from max distance, was able to hide while casting and give myself a head start."

Granted, that's 2006 and not an argument for it being classic, but it's clearly something that was usable on live and not unique to this server.

Renk
08-29-2012, 12:48 PM
it's clearly something that was usable on live and not unique to this server

Possibly... (I never played a rogue on live so I have no personal experience),
but it would be good to find more sources (earlier ideally) before there could probably be any credibility to it being possible.

This has probably been brought up somewhere before, though I don't know EQ-Emu's own timeline to know if this could have been a factor in 2006, but I wonder if some posts on these sites in the later EQ years might actually be from emu players rather than live. Could be a real wrench in the gears if so.
(though he did list a char/guild/server from live in his sig, and his post detailed mechanics that I have no idea if an emu at that time had together that well)