Hello everyone,

Over the past few weeks, a portion of the EQ team has been working on
The Hole, in preparation of its release in the near future. Even so, a
number of changes and additions were made in today's patch. Most of the
changes are in regards to quests:

- The "Fleshy Orb" quest has been completed
- We've received word that "Fabian" has been spotted somewhere on
Norrath.
- Froglok Foragers and Hunters should been seen more regularly.
- Lord Grimrot should be seen more frequently.
- Skill in tailoring is no longer required to craft The Robe of the
Lost Circle.

A few items have also been changed this week:

- The Robe of the Lost Circle has been enhanced.
- The Staff of Temperate Flux and the Rod of Insidious Glamour now have
a short casting time associated with their activatable effect (See
Below).
- The Gunthak Harpoon is again NORENT, meaning that it will disappear
when you log off (See Below.)

This guys still seems super rare. Been here for days and only seen 1 live version. Not sure what exactly "more frequently" means but I would think that he shouldn't be that rare. Vonhammer can also testify going through 336 PH's with no version undead spawn. Thanks!

-Elfus

nilbog
08-04-2012, 12:53 AM
Any idea what more frequently might mean?

Also, should the living version of Grimrot only spawn during the day and the skeleton version at night? Our day/night system was not present when he was initially set up.

Danth
08-04-2012, 07:47 AM
I can't recall seeing proof of the day/night thing with Grimrot, only people guessing. All sorts of wild theories surrounded his spawn owing to his rarity. A brief archive search turned up nothing solid. Perhaps someone can come up with something concrete one way or the other.

Danth

nilbog
10-07-2012, 07:59 AM
bump

Lostprophets
10-09-2012, 08:28 AM
I've done 4 Aegises since I leveled up my cleric Pre-Kunark/helped others camp it (also have one on a baby pally twink), and they've been all completely random.

First time took about 4 hours.
Second time took about 6 hours.
Third time took about 27 hours (3x 9hr days).
Fourth time was like 9 hours.
Then I was helping a couple other friends and two of them still remain without scythes (Live Grimrot).

Others have told me about 7hr days for a week, or some about that time.

Not sure if this is any help as I didn't play live, but I just wanted to share the sporadic-ness I've had for spawns.

I've seen Dead Grimrot (the one that drops the heart) Spawn Night and Day, Only have seen Live Grimrot (one that drops scythe) in the day (much much more rarely) Only 4 times, compared to like 10~ undeads...I do remember someone telling me that on live that it was the other way around..I can't confirm this though...as no evidence.

Korpskugga
10-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Bump,

Has this patch been implemented yet ? (killed like a few hundred spawn cycles without any sight of him, other then a undead one 5 days ago, make me think this patch hasn't been implemented, this mob was not a once in a week spawn on live when I did it with my cleric, EQcleric forum had lots of spawn reports about the named being up whenever someone ran past it, biggest problem with the quest was the faction not the lord grimrot spawns)

Any chance of a GM checking it ? (played cleric on live 99-2005 this quest and the faction needed to get it done was something we talked about just about everyday)

Best regards

Korpskugga

nilbog
10-27-2013, 01:40 PM
There is a chance of seeing him every 7 minutes.

Korpskugga
10-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Thank you, I guess I am just extreamly unlucky :) well atleast I can crash the bonechip market in EC now :)

superc0654
11-01-2013, 11:04 PM
I know this is an older thread, but can someone verify Live version of Grimrot spawning on Red server? I have been able to loot a decayed heart, that another play was nice and let me loot, he had only been able to spawn the undead version, and I was able to loot his heart on the second spawn, but I've spoken with him a few times and he was never able to get Live version to spawn.

I've been killing the camp for the last 3 days on and off, a total of about 10 hrs roughly. Have yet to see him, I also did a stint about 2 months ago of roughly the same time amount and did not ever see either version.

Just curious if anyone on RED has been able to complete the quest

geno55
11-03-2013, 12:52 AM

This seems incorrect, though. Nearly every classic forum post I've read seems to indicate that Grimrot's PH has a 180-200 minute spawn timer. Some examples:

EQClerics post from Dec 00:
http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8632#edit84533

Alla comments:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=5190#m101190933168763
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=5190#m101665543280289
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=5190#m98952022677294
etc.

Also, unless they've changed this in the past year, it still seems this way on Live:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=5190#m1332168515185565799

The patch notes referenced above probably refer to an increased chance of Grimrot spawning instead of a decrease in the spawn time.

Motec
11-03-2013, 01:59 AM
On mac it is 6.5-7mins.

Your argument is invalid. Camped two on eqmac in the past 18months.

pharmakos
11-03-2013, 02:09 AM
there are some oddities on EQMac.

random examples from my brief time there: on EQMac the Nybrights in LFay drop rusty weapons instead of bronze, and the spiderlings in Field of Bone are all single pulls.

idk why it's been treated as the holy grail of classicness. it wasn't totally classic itself.

Motec
11-03-2013, 02:50 AM
Its more classic than 99.999999% of shit here thats wrong.

Id take its very (handful) of issues, and the rest as gospel before almost anyones word.

superc0654
11-03-2013, 09:59 AM
today when i log i will be starting my 5th day straight camping him, not sure how many times exactly I've cleared the camp but its enough to have filled 6 backpacks full of bonechips nearly twice over

geno55
11-03-2013, 10:07 AM
On mac it is 6.5-7mins.

Your argument is invalid. Camped two on eqmac in the past 18months.

Okay, fine. Just logged onto live, headed over to SK, killed Grimrot PH and the two putrid skellies on either side of it. Two skeletons on either side re-popped after 6 minutes, PH still hasn't come back after 15 minutes of waiting. If I were a betting man, I'd wager it won't be up for a few more hours :)

It seems highly unlikely that they would lengthen the spawn time since Classic, but feel free to make that argument. I don't know what more I can do to convince you.

superc0654
11-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Okay, fine. Just logged onto live, headed over to SK, killed Grimrot PH and the two putrid skellies on either side of it. Two skeletons on either side re-popped after 6 minutes, PH still hasn't come back after 15 minutes of waiting. If I were a betting man, I'd wager it won't be up for a few more hours :)

It seems highly unlikely that they would lengthen the spawn time since Classic, but feel free to make that argument. I don't know what more I can do to convince you.

The little platform with the 3 putrid skellies underneath it in a group will repop every 6 mins. Now I believe but I'm not for sure of this that there is a possible 4th that may be his PH that is on a much longer spawn time as suggested, but I am not 100% on this, but I do know that the 3 putrid skellies where he is supposed to spawn, will all repop every 6 mins.

dethbringre
11-05-2013, 08:19 AM

Nilbog are you referring to Grimrot spawning every 7 mins or his PH having a chance to spawn every 7 mins?

Also, all these classic posts about Putrid Skellies lying on the ground instead of standing is not what I see on my screen, all of them appear to be standing. Never seen one lying on the ground except in QH near UD rings.

This is on Red server btw, dunno how many people have actually seen both versions, but I finally was able to locate one individual who had managed to complete Aegis.

geno55
11-05-2013, 11:39 AM
For reference, here is how it looks on Live, looking south from tree at north end of camp.
All circled spawns are putrid skeletons, the red circles are alive, lying on the ground, not PHs. The PH is the only one standing, directly under the platform.

http://i.imgur.com/exnrU7C.png

nilbog
11-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Nilbog are you referring to Grimrot spawning every 7 mins or his PH having a chance to spawn every 7 mins?

It's currently set for 7 mins, a putrid skeleton, or one of the Grimrots will spawn.

Also, all these classic posts about Putrid Skellies lying on the ground instead of standing is not what I see on my screen, all of them appear to be standing. Never seen one lying on the ground except in QH near UD rings.
Fixed, pending update.

Also, next patch, the standing putrid skeleton ph will always have a rusty bastard sword.

Spent some time reading the links and research. It seems the spawn should be 3.2/3.3 hours long well after Luclin.

Before changing this, I'd like collaborative efforts/opinions on the % chance of live grimrot, dead grimrot, or his putrid skeleton placeholder.

geno55
11-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Spent some time reading the links and research. It seems the spawn should be 3.2/3.3 hours long well after Luclin.

Before changing this, I'd like collaborative efforts/opinions on the % chance of live grimrot, dead grimrot, or his putrid skeleton placeholder.

Here's a little bit of research on % chances of spawning Grimrot. I specifically looked for Alla comments that mention a ratio of PHs:Grimrots or Live:Undead.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=454#m101769767246666
The most detailed post. He estimates about a 1:10 chance of seeing Grimrot, and he sees 3 Lives and 0 Undeads. He also has a lot to say about spawn times and day/night cycles. Worth a read.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=454#m101810016680858
Saw 39 placeholders, 4 live grimrots, and 1 undead grimrot

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=454#m101327634779116
Saw 2 Lives and 1 Undead (unknown # of phs)

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=454#m101186864523597
Saw 5 Lives and 1 Undead (unknown # of phs)

In addition, I went over to magelo to do a little math:
Putrid Skeleton page: http://eq.magelo.com/npc/11159
Grimrot page: http://eq.magelo.com/npc/412150

We can glean some valuable info from this. We know that every PH drops a Rusty Bastard Sword, so from the loot tables we can see that 27 PHs were killed (assuming no other skeletons dropped them). We also see that there were 3 Grimrot spawns (2 Live, 1 Undead). This data (27 phs, 2 live, 1 undead) supports the 1:10 PH:Grimrot theory.

Onto the question of the Live:Undead ratio. This I'm a little less confident about. Setting aside the discussion on day/night spawns, it seems pretty fair to say that Undead is more rare than Live. Now, there's not much data to work with, but if we combine the Live and Undead counts for each source mentioned above, we get 16 Lives and 4 Undeads.

This leaves the final spawn rate estimate as follows:

a putrid skeleton: 45/50
Grimrot Live: 4/50
Grimrot Undead: 1/50

Korpskugga
11-05-2013, 05:47 PM
I started the camp 21 of october, and I only missed haveing it two days during that time when others managed to logon before me and held the camp.

My normal camp time has been 6-12h each day during that time.

I kill the PH every ~7 mins, I've seen 4 undead spawns during that time and 0 live spawns. (but I heard that during one of the days someone else had the camp the live one spawned, and later confirmed it when I let that guy loot one of the undead spawns from me)

I have killed more then a 1000 PH's during my camp now and so far never seen the live Grimrot even once my self.

This is NOT classic, this is a failed spawn code.

nilbog
11-05-2013, 05:53 PM
You failed to read the previous posts, I guess.

Korpskugga
11-05-2013, 06:45 PM
You failed to read the previous posts, I guess.

Aye :o

Just so sick of killing the ph, I'm going blind (I've maxed out now 4 out of 5 factions to max, and can't be much left of the priestsoflife, the last one)
Sorry

Best Regards

Korp

Bidin
11-05-2013, 09:33 PM

This is on Red server btw, dunno how many people have actually seen both versions, but I finally was able to locate one individual who had managed to complete Aegis.

I can confirm I have an Aegis on red, and I know of atleast 5 others with it aswell.

nilbog
11-06-2013, 12:45 PM
This leaves the final spawn rate estimate as follows:

a putrid skeleton: 45/50
Grimrot Live: 4/50
Grimrot Undead: 1/50

Good work. Those are the same numbers I came up with.

Looking at it from a 0-100%:

That would be something like putrid skeleton: 90%
Live Grimrot: 8%
Undead Grimrot: 2%

Assuming the respawn time is changed to > 3 hours, at 2% of the time, that's rough lol.

Nothing changed yet; still open for discussion/research.

Korpskugga
11-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Live undead ratio looks correct, everyone was looking for the dead one alot more then the live one who was a kinda common spawn and the 3h is correct

nilbog
11-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Looking at it from a 0-100%:

That would be something like putrid skeleton: 90%

Nothing changed yet; still open for discussion/research.

Bump. Moving ahead with this unless further evidence or commentary is provided.

nilbog
11-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Fixed, pending update.

putrid skeleton: 90%
3.2/3.3 hour respawn time.

pharmakos
11-14-2013, 02:11 PM
what a brutal camp...

nilbog
11-14-2013, 02:12 PM
I never got one for my paladin on live. Guess that's why.

r.i.p. time.

http://i42.tinypic.com/27xjpch.jpg

hurt
11-15-2013, 01:15 AM
Took me about 20-30 hours to get my Aegis, boring camp.

Thulack
11-15-2013, 11:26 PM
Took me 2 hours today to get it. Got live grimrot on 7th spawn got undead grimrot 2 spawns later. Hour worth of factioning and my cleric now has Aegis woot :)

Splorf22
11-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Damn that's almost a full week on average.

M.J.
01-27-2014, 07:46 PM
95 hours straight to get LIVE version to spawn, saw three dead. Already had heart before I started camp.

odiecat99
01-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Seen a fellow there for over 22 hours straight.. poor guy

Moejo
02-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Fixed, pending update.

putrid skeleton: 90%
3.2/3.3 hour respawn time.

Can someone explain the math on how this makes Grimrot appear more frequently?

Based on previous posts, Grimrot had a 1% chance to spawn every 7 minutes. This means in 100 spawns you should expect to see 1 Grimrot...7 min x 100 spawns = 700 Minutes Total

With the new update, Grimrot now has a 10% chance to spawn every 3.2/3.3 hours. This means in 10 spawns you should expect to see 1 Grimrot...210 min (3.3 hrs) x 10 spawns = 2100 Minutes Total

This just made the most boring camp in the game 3 times longer???? And you need to spawn him twice? My cleric doesn't need the extra wisdom that much!

Rathnir
02-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Going out on a limb, I think the respawn time is still 7 minutes and Nilbog is estimating you having good odds of seeing him once every 3.3~ hours.

Without getting into any crazy statistics on variation and what not, I calculate you should have a greater then 50% chance of seeing the Undead Grimrot (2% spawn chance) once by the 35th round. At 7 minutes per round, this is just over 4 hours (245 minutes for approx 50.7% chance of Undead Grimrot 1 time).

The math can be misleading tho, it's only a rough guideline. It takes 114 rounds to get the expectation to 90% chance of seeing him. That's 13.3 hours straight, and 10% of people (theoretically) that do it like that still won't have seen him. 99% certainty of seeing him is at round 228 (more then 26.5 hours).

pharmakos
02-15-2014, 11:47 AM
moejo's math looks right to me. look back a few pages... the spawn time was indeed increased to 3.3hours.

nilbog
02-15-2014, 12:00 PM
..Grimrot had a 1% chance..

Nilbog: Lord Grimrot: There is a greater chance of encountering the living and undead versions of Grimrot. The respawn time has increased to 3.2 hours.

Any increase above 1% means there is a greater chance of encountering the living and undead versions of Grimrot, if spawned. The second part (respawn time) indicates a nerf. I didn't promise a faster Aegis camp. :T

If anything is found to be incorrect in research, update this thread.

Rathnir
02-15-2014, 03:31 PM
I calculate you should have a greater then 50% chance of seeing the Undead Grimrot (2% spawn chance) once by the 35th round. At 3.3 hours per round, this is 115.5 hours (4.8 days) for approx 50.7% chance of Undead Grimrot 1 time.

It takes 114 rounds to get the expectation to 90% chance of seeing him. That's 376.2 hours straight (15.7 days), and 10% of people (theoretically) that do it like that still won't have seen him. 99% certainty of seeing him is at round 228 (more then 31.3 days).

So if the camp is permanently kept down, you can expect a new Aegis of Life on the server approx once a month. Good luck.

nall
02-23-2014, 01:25 PM
I calculate you should have a greater then 50% chance of seeing the Undead Grimrot (2% spawn chance) once by the 35th round. At 3.3 hours per round, this is 115.5 hours (4.8 days) for approx 50.7% chance of Undead Grimrot 1 time.

It takes 114 rounds to get the expectation to 90% chance of seeing him. That's 376.2 hours straight (15.7 days), and 10% of people (theoretically) that do it like that still won't have seen him. 99% certainty of seeing him is at round 228 (more then 31.3 days).

So if the camp is permanently kept down, you can expect a new Aegis of Life on the server approx once a month. Good luck.

yeah it went from ok.. I can spend a few hours trying.. versus... this camp aint worth the damn time anymore.. spent 2 days hitting EVERY spawn back to back.. not a single live or dead...

yeah ill pass on this ruined camp.

pharmakos
02-23-2014, 01:29 PM
basically all you can do is nail the PH every time you run by, and hope that others do the same / some day the named will be up for you.

diplo
03-04-2014, 09:07 PM
nevermind got my answer.