PDA

View Full Version : Started a rogue...

Swinger
07-28-2012, 01:08 AM
So I found a very cheap Rogue with epic for sale. Had to buy it. Couldn't pass up the deal, even though he is a WOOD ELF! I know Wood Elves aren't the best rogues.. but I do like their looks.

Anyways, I'm wondering what kind of gear I should be going for.. I'm not loaded or anything, but I'm not poor either. I know of course STR gear is a must. Is there any other stats I should be trying to raise as well? Wood Elves are weak, so I've been mostly going for STR (176 or something right now). But I've started to wonder if there is anything else I should be looking into.

Also, I'm not high enough for an offhand weapon yet, but I was wondering what the best "affordable" offhand is. I've got a Locustlure in my bag for when the time comes, but I don't know how much agro the proc draws. I've also got an Ebonwood Cudgel and an Acid Etched War Sword just so I can keep up my combat skills. But how often will the Acid Etched War Sword (procs Ykesha) proc in my offhand?

One last thing! I'm wanting to journey down into Lower Guk to snag a DE illusion mask. As I said, I'm very low level. I'm wondering if I am able to sneak/hide safely down to the camp to wait for a mask to drop? Does anything on the way see through sneak/hide?

Any tips, advice, or info is very much appreciated!

Portsche
07-28-2012, 01:11 AM
Stamina.
Crystalline Short Sword.
Nothing will see you.

AimAce
07-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Locustlure is actually a sweet weapon. If you aren't overly rich, just keep that forever. Your best mh/oh will be piercers anyways, so no need to get slashing weps unless they are significantly better (but if you are poor they wont be).

If you're planning to solo, you'll need decent str, ac, and hp, but if you're going to group TBH you could group naked as long as you have that RB. Str makes such a small difference (in the short-run) that its not pertinent to stack str unless you are going for max/min.

Heavydrop
07-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Getting a DE mask is actually pretty easy if your timing is right.
The mask itself is no drop and since its Rogue/Bard only it commonly rots.
What I've done with my rogues on live and here is sneak down there
(first one at level 13, on P99 at level 15) and do a /ooc "is anyone camping the
Assassin?"
His camp is typically taken because people want the bag from the supplier.
If someone is camping it nicely ask them if you can loot the mask since its
likely going to rot anyway.
Here on P99 some 55 necro was farming Lguk and let me loot it with my (now)
25 rogue

Tarathiel
08-12-2012, 02:46 PM
actually wood elf rogues are quite awesome, their str may be weak to start but str is by far the easiest stat to increase through gear and buffs. they have naturally high agi and dex which is good.... high agi means you get hit less, which means you die less, which means you do more dps. dex "supposedly" affects skill increases and checks for things like hide/sneak (i think we need more confirmation on this tho). stamina is really the only weakness ive found with my rogue and if i could re-roll the toon i would have just dumped all the points there. most of this you wont even have to worry about until you are lvl 60 anyways... and ya its been said already but with RB you can lvl to 50 naked just find a good kiting partner

Heavydrop
08-17-2012, 02:30 AM
One last thing! I'm wanting to journey down into Lower Guk to snag a DE illusion mask. As I said, I'm very low level. I'm wondering if I am able to sneak/hide safely down to the camp to wait for a mask to drop? Does anything on the way see through sneak/hide?

Far as I know the only mob in Lguk that can see through Rogue stealth is the Ghoul Lord and his camp is nowhere near the Ghoul Assassin camp

Vermicelli
08-19-2012, 12:17 AM
While getting a Guise for myself, I discovered that the ghoul assassin also sees thru stealth. You should be fine otherwise.

jorgea
08-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Wood elf rogues are not so bad if you look at their overall features. Let us know here at http://www.project1999.org what you decide on.

Portsche
08-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Wood elf rogues are not so bad if you look at their overall features. Let us know here at http://www.project1999.org what you decide on.
So I found a very cheap Rogue with epic for sale. Had to buy it.

Picked
08-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Locustlure is actually a sweet weapon. If you aren't overly rich, just keep that forever. Your best mh/oh will be piercers anyways, so no need to get slashing weps unless they are significantly better (but if you are poor they wont be).

If you're planning to solo, you'll need decent str, ac, and hp, but if you're going to group TBH you could group naked as long as you have that RB. Str makes such a small difference (in the short-run) that its not pertinent to stack str unless you are going for max/min.

I too am a fairly new rogue. I am twinked and wondering which weapon is better in the offhand. I currently have Trak tooth and Crystalline Short Sword to choose from. I have always heard higher damage in your offhand is the best. But what you say here contradicts that.

Which should I be using in my offhand?

Nilasbik
08-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Dex effects proc rates. So apply poison and what not.

Tarathiel
08-31-2012, 12:52 PM
I too am a fairly new rogue. I am twinked and wondering which weapon is better in the offhand. I currently have Trak tooth and Crystalline Short Sword to choose from. I have always heard higher damage in your offhand is the best. But what you say here contradicts that.

Which should I be using in my offhand?

i would use ccs over trak tooth, or just sell em both and buy a seb dirk, i think they are down to like 10k now or something ridiculous

Cecily
09-08-2012, 08:40 AM
I know Wood Elves aren't the best rogues.. but I do like their looks.
Grats on not being hideous. Stats are basically worthless in EQ and liking how your character looks is really the only important decision you'll make over the next few months besides maybe quitting. Max your STR with buffs by the time you get close to the horrible thing we call end game and you're pretty much done.

Handy Check List:

[ ] Epic
[ ] Seb Dirk or better offhand
[ ] Resists
[ ] HP
[ ] Win EQ

Cecily
09-08-2012, 09:02 AM

Which should I be using in my offhand?I'd say read the tag information on your trak tooth a little more carefully. You don't have as many options as you think you do.

Offhand is all about ratio. A TT and CSS are essentially the same weapon. As is a Jade Mace and Green Jade Axe. So whats the difference between these four weapons that all have the same ratio? Delay. Slower weapons are nice because you get hit less often by damage shields, but it's seriously all about ratio.

Cecily
09-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Trakasaur's Tooth
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM PLACEABLE
Slot: PRIMARY
Skill: Piercing Atk Delay: 20
DMG: 10 Dmg Bonus: 23
Backstab DMG: 10
This item is placeable in yards and houses.
WT: 1.5 Size: SMALL
Class: ROG
Race: ALL

Trakasaur's Tooth
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM PLACEABLE
Skill: Piercing Atk Delay: 20
DMG: 10 Dmg Bonus: 23
Backstab DMG: 10
This item is placeable in yards and houses.
WT: 1.5 Size: SMALL
Class: ROG
Race: ALL

Belz
09-09-2012, 07:47 AM
i made a rogue alt last night....

-wood elf
-stamina