View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Axe of the Slayers

vinx
11-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Axe of the Slayers

2hs, 23/48
Effect: Rampage (combat)

Rampage
required level: 0
Spell effect: Hardens your skin and fills your arms with energy, increasing strength and absorbing damage, while also decreasing your agility.

I re-rolled my warrior, and after i transfered items to my level 5 warrior.
I found out.... this item does NOT proc at 0,
I would get the message:
your will is not suffecient to command this weapon.

Vinx (level 34 warrior)
Bruzir (level 5 warrior)

Naerron
11-11-2009, 02:25 PM
prob because the item procs at 30

vinx
11-11-2009, 03:10 PM
eh, be nice if they added the 3 then instead of

Required level: 0

President
11-11-2009, 03:55 PM
you rerolled your warrior why?

vinx
11-11-2009, 04:44 PM
cuz i like the base stats of the ogre :)
yes kunark and velious will improve vinx and she prolly be ok as is,
but id like to max out most stats asap if i can
with just group gear from them xpansions.

BEFORE raids if i be raidin here later :P

President
11-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Ahh yea.. I picked up a half elf warrior.. the only problem I run into so far is not beeing able to carry all the loot the ogres do. I just didn't wanna be like every other warrior.

Danth
11-11-2009, 09:41 PM
It's a horrible mistake to throw away 30-odd levels of progression just for stats. Players tend to *badly* overestimate the importance of race and stats. You will be a good tank because you're a warrior--period. At least one of EQ's most bleeding-edge guilds famously used a human warrior as its main tank. Play the race you like; don't get caught up in the min/max mindset--it's a false god.

Danth

stormlord
11-12-2009, 01:59 AM
It's a horrible mistake to throw away 30-odd levels of progression just for stats. Players tend to *badly* overestimate the importance of race and stats. You will be a good tank because you're a warrior--period. At least one of EQ's most bleeding-edge guilds famously used a human warrior as its main tank. Play the race you like; don't get caught up in the min/max mindset--it's a false god.

Danth

This is min/maxing, but only in hte direction of tanking/carrying loot. So what? Some people like to play non-warrior races. Some people might want the extra int/wis for skillups and tradeskills. What other benefits will these races have? If classic eq was trully balanced, then making a low strength warrior is fine because that warrior will have other advantages. Ogres also have terrible faction, while humans are much better off. Learning how it all works is part of the fun for some people.

I've never liked min/maxing, but you can't get rid of it. You can encourage people not to do it, but you can't stop them. It has been in EQ and every other rpg since the beginning of time. No matter how much you tell someone not to grind or not to min/max or not to be super efficient, they still do it because of their ultra-competitive personality. You see this in EQ when people camp for something for way too long, or stay in the same camp for several days to gain experience even though they could have went somewhere else to reduce the grind-factor. People grind to be efficient, not because they have to. Nothing forces people to stay in the same camp. Nothing forces some people to delay learning new things. So please get off his back about this.

Just the fact that people are level 30 so quickly... have killed naggy so quickly... and the server is just 1 month old!!! In 1999 when I played, I was only level 13 3 months into it with 14 days played. Granted, a lot of it was just not knowing about the world and enjoying seeing so many new things. This rapid progression will encourage people to reroll or make alts for reasons like this. Just the fact that we have allah and all of these online resources has itself created a form of mudflation by devaluing the act of exploration and rewarding people who instead go to allah for free information. It's similar to the map window - people use that instead of actually exploring and making their own map. All of these resources have diminshed the value of just playing, and therefore, the value of levels themselves.

One thing that I think I've overlooked when considering how mudflation interacts with everything is online resources. Just the past couple days of watching progression unfold on this server has taught me just how much things have changed due to people already knowing everything about the old world. Perhaps things are mudflating faster than I realized.

Without allah and eqtraders.com, I'd be clueless about what to do in EQ. I've used them so much that I see the parellels between them and the map window. I play less, and read the net and look at the map window more. I know very little about everquest. I have to ask people, what do you want more, to play in classic or to read an online walkthrough?

Veterans are also a form of mudflation. Their effect on the economy and events have the same result. They reduce the value of learning/doing things on your own. They're like a map window, they're like allah, they're like ooc regen, they're like newer expansions.

The only way to trully capture classic is with an entirely new game world. That might be the only possible conclusion.

Would a game world be fun if we had all the answers in front of us??? Ask yourself that question. Ask it because all of these online resources, the veterans, the map window, the next expansion, all of these things are like walkthroughs.

guineapig
11-12-2009, 01:47 PM
You bring up a very good point.

Just thinking of the game difficulty of 1999 combined with not having any zone info, mob info, quest info, etc... wow....
That truly is what Classic was.

I mean just think about going into another zone and getting killed by a pack of red mobs... and then having no clue what level they actually were and no way of finding out. What else is in the zone? How much exp are you willing to loose in order to try to find out? Do you just change your mind and stay in the zone you've been in for the past 3 nights?

Or how about talking to every single NPC in a city just to find the 2-3 quests you can currently do! And how many levels later do you go through all those NPCs again?

Sorry, just got lost in dream land for a bit. Such a game does not exist anymore.

Takshaka
11-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Sorry, just got lost in dream land for a bit. Such a game does not exist anymore.

well this has gotten totally off topic from the OP, but here goes.

Would you still play a game like that though? I was in the same I had more playtime in days than levels before I hit level 20 back in 1999. I had so many great memories about all that stuff, but there is no way in hell that I would do that again. My life is completely different now and I have no where near that kind of time to devote to a single computer game, although sometimes I wish I did.

nilbog
11-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Fixed, pending update.

30 is the correct level as per research.. not sure why it didn't appear correctly initially.

Roku
11-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Vinx's misguided reroll fixed as well . . . maybe. :p