PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: MM Pathing. major death trap!

ulrich
05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My group went to mistmoore 2 days ago.

We went into the castle. When we went up the first staircase. 30+ mobs came through the walls/ floors...

Couldn't the aggro range of the zone be shortened. Just like the fix for Cazic thule zone when everything jumped from above and below? Seems like an easy fix and would save hundreds of people many hours of corpse runs.

At the current state new members to the server want to enjoy MM. When they get there and try to go into the castle area. They die over and over and over. Some than quit the server I would imagine.

Too bad that this major issue is effecting this zone.
I hope that bumping this thread will help a lot of the new players out.

Anyone that has also died in MM from mobs pathing through the floors / ceiling . Please post your experiences. Thanks!

LOVE the server! And all the hard work done to make it!!

doacleric
05-17-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm going to take a look into mistmoore and see whats going inside those castle walls.

Gorroth
05-18-2010, 02:35 AM
Many mobs aggroed systematically path through the basement when the castle is being trained and come out at the graveyard.

Bruman
05-18-2010, 01:36 PM
I remember MM's castle being a death trap on live too, due to wall/floor aggros and horrid pathing. I think I only tried to venture into it once or twice with a group, and we quickly gave up on it. If we could've crawled it as designed, we could've made it, but it was pretty broken.

However, I'm not at all a fan of "it was broken in classic, so it should be broken here!" I don't know what is kept client side and what is kept server side, but I'd be more than happy to have to replace a file on my client side to make MM's castle crawlable as originally intended.

doacleric
05-18-2010, 10:14 PM
I took a look at the pathing in mistmoore. Honestly, there is nothing wrong with the pathing itself. Overall its very well done. I also didn't find any problems with NPC's aggroing through the floors/ceilings, even on the first staircase.

However, there was a high tendency for NPC's to cause a chain reaction of aggro due to their close proximity to one another, their great numbers, and the way they are laid out. I made a few adjustments to NPC's that were in the wrong location and bunched up. I have also decreased the aggro range to a more reasonable amount for the NPC's in the castle. This should hopefully cut down on odd aggro behavior, and make the castle a more viable hunting spot.

Please keep in mind however that overall, Mistmoore castle is a fairly dangerous zone, and always has been.

Bruman
05-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks man, that's very interesting. Can't wait to get a few more levels and try to fight in there :)

ulrich
05-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks so much for working on this!!!

I find it odd no one else had the massive through the floor trains in the castle. Happened to me endless times. I was also warned from a group that if you don't go invis to get past the first staircase. All the mobs come like 20+. So obviously there is other people that know the spots better than I do ; )

Thanks again ! love the changes! much better.