PDA

View Full Version : Rolling a tank. Help me decide what.

Ogre
06-14-2012, 11:19 PM
I like tank classes and since there aren't too many on this server at the low end I want to roll one. Obvious would be Ogre Warrior for min/max perspective which I might do, but I also like rare gender/class/race combos. What do you think is cool or suggest something. No Gnomes.

Male Erudite SK
Female Erudite Paladin
Male Ogre Warrior
Female Troll Warrior
Suggest something

Ambrotos
06-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Male Ogre Warrior for sure. If you plan on being here during velious, maybe look into Iksar.

SamwiseBanned
06-14-2012, 11:38 PM
halfing war

Walter Melon
06-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Erudite Paladins can use Shield of the Stalwart Seas (http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Shield_of_the_Stalwart_Seas) which is a very good shield, however when it comes time to use a Fiery Avenger/Defender they're still pretty significantly behind Dwarves. Nature's Defender (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=4646) comes out in Velious for High Elf/Half Elf Paladins of Tunare, and I think the quest to get it is pretty easy - though the Paladin epic itself isn't hard at all anyway.

Ogre
06-14-2012, 11:52 PM
For Ogre Warrior do you guys go all dex?

Slave
06-15-2012, 12:37 AM
For Ogre Warrior do you guys go all dex?

I would counsel this 100%

bizzum
06-15-2012, 01:23 AM
Iksar.

This man knows whats up! The few, the proud, the lizardmen.

Giopawa
06-15-2012, 03:32 AM
Iksar Warrior all the way! Keep the tribe alive! lol

ArumTP
06-15-2012, 05:23 AM
Shadow Knight
Ogre>Troll>Erudite>Iksar>Human>Dark Elf
Paladin
Dwarf>Human>Half Elf>High Elf>Erudite
Warrior
Ogre>Troll>Barbarian>Dwarf>Halfling>Human>Iksar>Half Elf>Gnome>Wood Elf>Dark Elf

Brimacombe
06-15-2012, 05:31 AM
I would roll a paladin, honestly, those guys hold aggro with a chain lasso.

-Brimacombe

Shabaza
06-15-2012, 05:48 AM
If you wanna be cool

Female Gnome Warrior / Female Halfling Warrior

Kevlar
06-15-2012, 06:01 AM
If you want to be badass go ogre. If you want to raid tank go warrior.

Brimacombe
06-15-2012, 06:17 AM
Are there a lot of guilds looking for raid tanks?

-Brimacombe

ArumTP
06-15-2012, 07:00 AM
One Pain in the ass thing I just remembered, being big can suck. Cobalt bracer runs like 30k? The shadow knight has no such options. Not certain on the price of shrink potions.

Namegen_Isterrible
06-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Also I'd caution against picking any race/class combo for its XP penalty/bonus. Once you're 60 XP ceases to matter, but your racial stats and bonuses are still very important.

Eh. For grouping classes, xp penalties are much less of an issue than for someone who is soloing a lot, even before you hit 60.

Whether you're a troll shadowknight or a halfling warrior, you'll hardly be able to tell the difference in your personal xp gain when you're in a larger group because of the way your xp penalty is "shared."

Slycen
06-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Wood Elf Warrior

Danth
06-15-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm of the opinion that some folks here place too much emphasis on racial abilities. Ogre stun resist is nice, but it isn't necessary. It hardly even matters for Warriors. Shadow Knights function fine without it as well, and that'll be all the more true once hybrid spell casting haste goes in with Velious (if it isn't in already). The difference is mostly one of perception.

My advice always amounts to: Pick what you like, as that'll keep you playing longer than picking some min-max combo that you quit due to indifference by level 30.

Warriors, Paladins, and Shadow Knights all have uncommonly-chosen races available to them; which class you pick likely depends on how much relative importance you place on raiding versus grouping or soloing. I strongly suggest a Warrior to anyone who wants to be a raid main tank, or one of the knight classes to someone who mainly wants to group. Paladins are quite possibly the least-played class on P1999 so their equipment tends to be cheaper if that's a concern.

Danth

webrunner5
06-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Any class that you can be a Ogre you need to be a Ogre. The starting stats and Frontal Stun imunity are hard to pass up. They stand out that much.

But they are Evil and big and fat in indoor zones.

Walter Melon
06-15-2012, 11:25 AM
I think frontal stun immunity is way more important to SKs than warriors, because SKs rely on their spells and not getting stunned means you can channel through hits really well.

Are you sure it works like that? I was under the impression it was the act of bashing that interrupted spellcasting, not the stun that results. Are ogres also immune to that?

Namegen_Isterrible
06-15-2012, 11:31 AM
It hardly even matters for Warriors.

Really? My monk seems to get stunned at least once or twice per 1-minute fight, and he probably avoids more bashes than a similarly-leveled warrior would.

Maybe YOU don't mind spending a few seconds stunned out of every minute, but I don't think you can conclude that stun immunity hardly even matters just because you'd rather not be an ogre than be a superior warrior.

Etris
06-15-2012, 11:43 AM
@OP

Me and my friend are also new to the server!

I've rolled a Halfling Druid - Etros (Level 5) and he rolled a Dark Elf Necromancer - KMorch (Level 8).

If you're interested in grouping up ever, let me know. We'd make a good trio I think.

We're very casual players though, so you may beat us in levels.

Danth
06-15-2012, 12:09 PM
I say it hardly matters because it has no significant effect on your ability to do your job. If you get annoyed with seeing yourself occasionally stunned for a couple seconds, by all means pick an ogre and make that annoyance largely disappear. You're simply falling into a trap if you start thinking you have to pick an ogre or else suck at your job. You're free to your opinion though; if picking an Ogre gives you more confidence and makes you think you'll be better at your job, well, then you'll like the character better and do a better job just for that reason alone.

What race you pick, even what class you pick, pales in comparison to the guy behind the keyboard. If you suck, picking an Ogre won't fix it. If you're competent, you'll still be competent even if you're a Gnome or an Erudite. Pick what you like.

Danth

Nirgon
06-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Iksar SK like a boss all day

Slave
06-15-2012, 02:47 PM
I say it hardly matters because it has no significant effect on your ability to do your job. If you get annoyed with seeing yourself occasionally stunned for a couple seconds, by all means pick an ogre and make that annoyance largely disappear. You're simply falling into a trap if you start thinking you have to pick an ogre or else suck at your job. You're free to your opinion though; if picking an Ogre gives you more confidence and makes you think you'll be better at your job, well, then you'll like the character better and do a better job just for that reason alone.

Danth

I have to go ahead and argue the opposite here. Being a warrior means you have exactly one job: getting aggro. Stuns interfere with that job, sometimes to a chaotic and deadly degree. As an integral part of the team, this could bring the group down in short order in places where a warrior is a great asset.

It is not easy to gain and hold aggro without expending clickable charges, especially if you suffer an early stun. Ogre avoids the whole issue with excellent statistics, notably the hard-to-stack Stamina.

Kevlar
06-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Ogres are the pie and everyone else is just the crust.

Brimacombe
06-15-2012, 03:37 PM

What race you pick, even what class you pick, pales in comparison to the guy behind the keyboard. If you suck, picking an Ogre won't fix it. If you're competent, you'll still be competent even if you're a Gnome or an Erudite. Pick what you like.

Danth

Additionally, if you play an ogre, you can kiss Najena, Solb and some other dungeons goodbye. There is no super race or super class. Since 1999 the forums have had this question over and over. This game is designed to give no free rides. Yes, I am aware that every class you play is underpowered and every class you do not play is overpowered, or your main's class is overpowered but only because you are so incredibly leet, but everything is largely balanced. Pick what you want and master it. If you have aggro problems, get a Jstick. Tash is outstanding aggro and unresistable. If you play a paladin mash blind. A blinded mobs behavior is to attack whoever is closest or flee if no one is in combat range. Effectively giving you a cheap root in mob behavior that doesn't mess with snare/flee behavior, like root does.

-Brimacombe

gprater
06-15-2012, 03:44 PM
did not read all the replies, but its a game not a job. Dont worry about efficiency and all that other jazz. Just play what makes you happy. No one is truly depending on you or any of us. You arent a doctor saving lives in the ER or firefighter rescuing the baby. Just have fun. I say leave the EQ science and math outside.

Slave
06-15-2012, 05:28 PM
did not read all the replies, but its a game not a job. Dont worry about efficiency and all that other jazz. Just play what makes you happy. No one is truly depending on you or any of us. You arent a doctor saving lives in the ER or firefighter rescuing the baby. Just have fun. I say leave the EQ science and math outside.

I beg your pardon. You're saying to have fun and play in the way that makes me happy but you're telling me I can't do that by min/maxing and powergaming. Your statement is paradoxical.

And how dare you question the importance of my fantasy online gaming. I could be a very important advisor to President Obama, my mood and imagination causing wide-ranging effects on the entire world.