PDA

View Full Version : Bard Kiting and Lag Question

Dalven
05-31-2012, 12:26 PM
I have a question for any of my fellow bards out there willing to share their experiences and opinions of ae kiting and lag.

I spent a fair bit of time ae kiting up until my mid 20's and I am fairly proficient at it, however I have always had problems with lag when kiting anything over around 15 mobs. More often than not when I am happily circling away the mobs will suddenly appear to run in a straight line for a second, which I presume is a result of a bit of minor packet loss or something. When my connection catches up I am usually looking at "Loading... Please Wait", which can be somewhat frustrating. This used to happen only once every few kites in the classic zones I kited in (WC, EK, SK) as long as I kept my kites sensible. I have now recently moved to the OT and the problem seems to be exacerbated - it now seems to happening with any kites over 5 mobs.

Has anyone else experienced this or anything similar? When I kite I drop my far clip plane right down, turn off sky and limit the max fps to 30 to minimise any graphical glitches. My ping/latency is usually at 130 - 160ms, is this too high for kiting? Does anyone have advice for preventing reducing this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ETA: I also have spell effects and dot spam off while kiting as well.

Dalven
32 Bard

Slave
05-31-2012, 12:47 PM
It could be your subpar computer skipping a beat every time someone zones into the zone. That's what it was with my pos. There is something under Technical Forums where Uthgaard tried to answer.

Dalven
05-31-2012, 12:53 PM
Ha, thanks Slave. My computer is rather "subpar" so that could be it, will try and look up that post.

Still open to any other suggestions regarding this and latency.

Dalven
32 Bard

kaustik
05-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Don't forget to turn of shadows.

Latency may be too high.

falkun
05-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Also turn off DoT damage messages. Basically, turn off/lower/reduce anything and everything you can. /hidecorpse can also be your friend if you don't care about loot.

But yes, P.o.S. computers will require this more than up-to-date machines. But at some point it becomes less of a computer problem and more of a client-server interaction problem. I don't have any network advice to improve that if your computer is not what is holding you back.

Dalven
05-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Many thanks for all the advice guys, a couple of things there I wasn't doing there. Fischemmel, already got that thread bookmarked :)

I think I have resolved the problem - seemed to be the issue caused by others zoning in. For reference for others who may find this post:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56200

The thread Slave mentions above

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69426&highlight=bard+kiting

More advice on the subject.

Thanks Again

Dalvin
33 Bard