PDA

View Full Version : Monk Special Attacks? Any point?

Sephiroth781
05-25-2012, 03:37 AM
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but I saw no information confirming nor denying my theory on this one. But is there any difference between the monk special attacks (kick, round kick, eagle strike, tiger strike, dragon punch, flying kick / tail rake) or are they just upgrades of the previous versions? Is there any reason at all to skill up earlier skills?

Qian
05-25-2012, 06:25 AM
For the most part they are just upgrades from the previous version. However, some of the Disciplines effect some of the lower level skills. So it's worth looking at those and getting those skills leveled up.

formallydickman
05-25-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but I saw no information confirming nor denying my theory on this one. But is there any difference between the monk special attacks (kick, round kick, eagle strike, tiger strike, dragon punch, flying kick / tail rake) or are they just upgrades of the previous versions? Is there any reason at all to skill up earlier skills?

Also whether Kick abilities or Punch abilities can hit magic targets (willowisps, ghouls and whatnot) depends on their respective item slot being 'magic'. I remember when first leveling my monk, I didn't have magic gloves for a while and always had to kick the 'magic' mobs.

Sephiroth781
05-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Also whether Kick abilities or Punch abilities can hit magic targets (willowisps, ghouls and whatnot) depends on their respective item slot being 'magic'. I remember when first leveling my monk, I didn't have magic gloves for a while and always had to kick the 'magic' mobs.

Wait... if my gloves are magical does that mean my basic punch autoattack can hit magical creatures now?

Qian
05-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Wait... if my gloves are magical does that mean my basic punch autoattack can hit magical creatures now?

Nope, fists become a magical weapon at level 30.

Sephiroth781
05-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Nope, fists become a magical weapon at level 30.

That's what I figured but aparently magic foot wear allows me to kick a wisp and mean it. Doesn't make sense when you think about it, but oh well.

Maze
05-25-2012, 03:36 PM

yes

Qian
05-25-2012, 03:42 PM
yes

crap, your right, I did not look hard enough...

Sephiroth781
05-26-2012, 02:23 AM
crap, your right, I did not look hard enough...

Speaking of which, any easy way to get spiderling silk anywhere near the Qeynos area? I'd love to start my tailoring career so I can get the Wu's stuff eventually, but I haven't been able to get a steady supply of silk.

Golad
05-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Speaking of which, any easy way to get spiderling silk anywhere near the Qeynos area? I'd love to start my tailoring career so I can get the Wu's stuff eventually, but I haven't been able to get a steady supply of silk.

Try Everfrost.

The only abilities that cause disciplines to get better are kick (laugh), dragon punch, and flying kick, if I remember correctly. Most people stick with one, and that one being flying kick because they all use the same cooldown, and it looks the coolest. Also, you can crit with flying kick at some point, I believe (that may be the disc, actually).

Lucia Moonglow
10-01-2013, 11:46 PM
I'm seriously necroing this thread, but I wanted to point out that Tiger Claw has about a three second faster cooldown than Round Kick.

Colgate
10-02-2013, 11:56 AM
flying kick is the only one worth using

the special attack disciplines are broken and dont do anything

the only monk discs that are ever worth using are innerflame, stonestance, voiddance, and whirlwind

Retti_
10-02-2013, 03:46 PM
I thought I read once that punch has a stun type effect like bash for interrupting casters can anyone confirm or deny

maximum
10-02-2013, 07:23 PM
I use Flying Kick. Monk special attacks are hyper-nerfed until Velious. Lots of patch notes on this.

The cooldown on Thunderkick discipline at 60 is very short, and even though it's hyper-nerfed also, I tend to use it much like a special attack. The other cooldowns are way too long.

Colgate
10-02-2013, 08:56 PM
thunderkick doesn't even do anything

i have never, ever seen it do more damage than a regular flying kick