PDA

View Full Version : Copernicus / 38Studios

Wudan
05-22-2012, 07:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m9nvnrP0j8U#!

what do you guys think about this one? Is it gonna be any good?

Aksiom2k
05-22-2012, 08:35 AM
If 38Studios can pay its bills and this game actually gets produced....it might be good, but it is going to be very similar to WoW based on how Reckoning played.

Tiggles
05-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Both Curt Schilling and RA Salvatore are/where HUGE Everquest nerds.

So maybe it will turn out ok.

Autotune
05-22-2012, 10:47 AM
WoW copy #344321

Destan
05-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Both Curt Schilling and RA Salvatore are/where HUGE Everquest nerds.

So maybe it will turn out ok.

Curt Shilling was also a huge WoW nerd too...so I think he cancels himself out.

Nuggie
05-22-2012, 12:31 PM
it is going to be very similar to WoW based on how Reckoning played.

batkiller
05-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Well I wouldn't assume too much, seeing as they didn't actually make Reckoning. That game was made by another company and 38studios just bought the game and made adjustments to lore and stuff, and then released it - most likely just as something to help with the funding for Copernicus.

I'm not an expert on him or his company, but from the bits I've seen, he doesn't seem the type who would just want to make another WoW clone. He formed his company when WoW clones was what everyone else was making, so it seemed to most people at the outset that his entire objective was to make something that stood out from the crowd. He also captured the imagination of a lot of the FOH people, which is hard to do. So there is 'some' chance that their game might be something different to the usual WoW formula. Hopefully!

My biggest concern at this point is whether they will be able to afford to develop it 'until it's done', rather than pulling another Vanguard and shoving out the door really prematurely and with a compromised design.

Barkingturtle
05-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Game is vaporware.

Orov
05-22-2012, 10:00 PM
How dare you people speak ill of Curt Schilling, one of the greatest pitchers of all time. Let us not forget the bloody sock incident. He will come through for us...assuming they can pay up those bills.

formallydickman
05-22-2012, 10:01 PM
How dare you people speak ill of Curt Schilling, one of the greatest pitchers of all time. Let us not forget the bloody sock incident. He will come through for us...assuming they can pay up those bills.

I love your profile pic.

batkiller
05-25-2012, 03:20 AM
It's all over, the staff have been let go. Many of them have already found new jobs with Trion and other companies who were looking for good talent. It will be interesting to see if the game gets sold now.

Cfullard
05-25-2012, 06:28 AM
I put a lot of hope in World of warcraft : Cataclysm and SW:TOR.. I was let down hard. I will wait and see before I get hyped up because everything has been such a huge letdown to me. In the meantime I will stay right here and enjoy nostalgia on red and see what the reviews say.

Lagaidh
05-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I'd found a niche in WoW too until Cataclysm. Just killed it for me personally. I don't like logging in to find my class plays completely differently than before.

That made me check on the status of eqclassic.org. I'd been watching them for years. That led me to p99. I'm home =)

Kevlar
05-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Wow, usually you hear about professional athletes getting ruined financially from too much hookers and blow. This is the first time I've seen one go belly up from too much video gaming. Kurt should have just stuck to a nice eqemu server and he would still have his millions. Personally I would have just spent it on hookers and blow.

batkiller
05-26-2012, 06:36 AM
I reeeeally hope it's not true that he lost all his money, that would be so sad. But what is even more heartbreaking, is that I just saw a bunch of posts from various (former) staff members who are now finding/starting new jobs, and they are talking about how much they actually miss playing the game... They say that not only was the animation and music revolutionary, but the combat and various other stuff was great and it was set to be a great game.

Sad :( I'm still hoping someone might buy the game and take over some time. It would be nice to see what that dream team came up with. I once beta tested a game called Gods & Heroes which was bought by another company and developed further. Hope someone can do that with this.

gloine36
05-26-2012, 01:33 PM
I think this is a prime example of a great idea clashing with realistic expectations. The three primary owners were supposed to be R.A. Salvatore, Schilling, and Todd McFarlane. I'm wondering as just who put up what amounts of money for this project. Todd probably had enough dough to finance the creation of two of these games alone.

This just shows that creating the super incredible next decades tech RAM pushing game is hideously expensive. I've stated in another post what I think would work in making a very good game, but not a cutting edge of technology game. Content is King!

I really do hope a rescue is found for this game though. If not, watch for it to be bought for a pittance by someone who might rush it out.

Alkorin
05-26-2012, 01:41 PM
I really do hope a rescue is found for this game though. If not, watch for it to be bought for a pittance by someone who might rush it out.

I certainly hope SOE doesn't buy it. Vanguard, anyone?

batkiller
05-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Hehe yeah it would probably be better off dead than in SoE's hands.

Faywind
05-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Pretty sure I just heard that 38 Studios went under and they laid off all of their employees.... le sigh.

I guess I will be sticking with P99 for longer than I thought! :)

hdawg06
05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Meh. Not a big deal for me because Schilling was a hypocritical douche.

QuantumZebra
05-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Meh. Not a big deal for me because Schilling was a hypocritical douche.

how so? :confused:

Razdeline
05-31-2012, 03:49 PM
I remember R.A. salvatore on my Povar server, but he wasn't a 'huge everquest nerd' and did not play that much.