PDA

View Full Version : Woot elder scrolls mmorpg in the works :)

waldo
05-03-2012, 09:52 PM
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/6367

Diggles
05-03-2012, 09:53 PM
sweet, mmo being made by company that has absolutely no multiplayer experience let alone mmo experience sounds fun

Sithel1988
05-03-2012, 09:56 PM
i swear to god if theres instanced anything....................

SamwiseRed
05-03-2012, 09:58 PM
sweet, mmo being made by company that has absolutely no multiplayer experience let alone mmo experience sounds fun

formallydickman
05-03-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic, but if it turns out to be WoW clone 8.0 I won't be surprised.

FoxxHound
05-03-2012, 10:40 PM

This...
I am already cringing. They are probably going to be like. "Everyone loves WoW, and we don't know how to make an MMO so we will just make a WoW clone with better graphics."

Seems to be the trend now.

Truth
05-03-2012, 10:43 PM
can i play it on xbox or gotta pirate gayme

FoxxHound
05-03-2012, 10:50 PM
can i play it on xbox or gotta pirate gayme

That's a good question, and if you could play it on Xbox. Would it only be with others on Xbox or could you play with people on PC/PS3. (Like Shadowrun)

MrSparkle001
05-03-2012, 11:09 PM
I knew it :) I'm seriously looking forward to it. Daggerfall, Morrowind and Skyrim are brilliant games (never played Oblivion - heard less than stellar things about it). and the series has always lacked multiplayer.

Anyone ever play Neverwinter Nights multiplayer on a custom-built server? If you did, imagine how much better a multiplayer Elder Scrolls would have been with it's superior engine and CK?

Well for one thing, Zenimax Online Studios is making the game. Matt Firor, who has been running the studio, was one of the top people on the classic Dark Age of Camelot MMO. He is known as one of the people who conceptualized DAOC’s famous RvR system. This would mean that an Elder Scrolls game in Matt’s hands will produce a very awesome PvP system.

Fantastic news. Dark Age Of Camelot was a lot of fun and had (and still has) the best MMORPG PvP system ever.

Here's the thing: Will ESO be 1st person? It should. I'm sick of 3rd person MMORPGs. Everquest did it and then that was it pretty much it. 3rd person is arguably better for PvP, but for immersion it's not, and The Elder Scrolls is traditionally 1st person.

I also wonder what the graphics will be like. Again, The Elder Scrolls has always featured really good graphics, while MMOs don't so as to appeal to the widest audience. Skyrim is not optimized for PC at all but it looks great. Morrowind for it's time was great too, especially compared to the MMOs of the time.

I predict this upcoming game will quickly become the most anticipated and most talked about of all upcoming games.

Danyelle
05-03-2012, 11:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7N19T.jpg

MrSparkle001
05-03-2012, 11:27 PM
There's nothing wrong with making the game comfortable for people from WoW. Rift did it, and in my opinion that's a pretty fun game.

The "phasing" thing though irks me. WoW had it in WOTLK, and it was odd to say the least. I don't think it added to anything, in fact I think it made the game feel stranger. MMORPGS by their nature cannot be dynamic, so why try to add it with something like phasing?

I'm still excited about the game, but it's May 3rd so I may change my mind as more info is released.

Akim
05-03-2012, 11:30 PM
first mmo im excited about since matrix online . shits getting real

MrSparkle001
05-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Sorry but all the information I've posted has been confirmed. You can delude yourself into trying to like a game all you want like people did with SW:TOR

I know nothing about SW:TOR whatsoever. All I know is Matt Firor is in charge and DAOC was, and still is, a great game. That gives me hope. ESO is already a 3 faction RvR game so it's already headed in that DAOC direction.

Sithel1988
05-04-2012, 12:06 AM
not to mention half the people that wanna play it will have too shitty of a comp and say fuck it. like i did with SWTOR and many other mmos. one of the reasons WoW had 11 million subs is because the graphics didnt need that great of a comp to play.

Diggles
05-04-2012, 12:31 AM
daoc dev team also responsible for WAR and SWTOR pvp so dont hold your breath.

Slave
05-04-2012, 02:09 AM
Darkfall actually came very close to being a decent Elder Scrolls MMO. They went the way of Red server... not enough or not timely patches for the mistakes at the beginning, they lost too many subs. The game itself is very tight now but underpopulated.

Nolasea
05-04-2012, 02:13 AM
SWTOR was fun in the beginning, the voice acting and the story was something new. It didn't take long before it started to feel like a singleplayer with a chatbox. Not to mention it only took 6d /played to reach the level cap.

PvP was tons of fun in the beginning. But they kept messing it up every patch. Thought the endgame was going somewhere with 1.2 but was disappointed yet again. HERO engine does have some pretty awkward issues handling resources. Low server population..

These are just few of the reasons why I lost interest in the game. After I started playing on P99 I kinda wonder why didn't I start earlier, why did I even bother with ToR? Well it's SW and it sure sounded promising.

So I think I'll just enjoy my stay in Norrath rather than getting hyped about another MMO. Even though TES MMO does sound very interesting.. if it has hero engine and the same pvp team that messed up ToR. I'll be thinking quite carefully before even giving it a try.

MrSparkle001
05-04-2012, 02:20 AM
Yeah, because DAoC was a completely instanced quest grabbing bonanza fun ride to max level in 2 weeks. It's like it's the same game!

What? Are you suggesting ESO will be a completely instanced game with tons of quests that get you to max level in 2 weeks? It's too soon to suggest that.

(It's not too soon to suggest that PvP will be a pretty large part of the game, so reaching max level sooner rather than later won't be a bad thing anyway)

daoc dev team also responsible for WAR and SWTOR pvp so dont hold your breath.

I don't think this isn't the WAR and SWTOR dev team, unless those devs left for Zenimax during their hiring blitz.

Matt Firor was involved with DAOC, and so far that's all I can find. I can't find any info on whether WAR or SWTOR devs are involved with ESO. If Matt makes ESO resemble DAOC I will be happy.

Diggles
05-04-2012, 02:48 AM
I don't think this isn't the WAR and SWTOR dev team, unless those devs left for Zenimax during their hiring blitz.

wut

Diggles
05-04-2012, 03:16 AM
heroic moment heroic moment heroic moment!

Diggles
05-04-2012, 03:17 AM
Reiker. EVE or Skyrimblivionwindfallarena Online?

Destan
05-04-2012, 08:15 AM

Technically the same could have been said about EverQuest in 1998, but it worked out just fine.

And on the flipside, Sony has had plenty of MMO experience since then and still can't seem to get it right.

Experience in this genre is overrated.

Good ideas, design, and implementation > Experience.

Klendathu
05-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm jazzed at the thought of Bethesda doing an MMO. I'll reserve judgement for after I do more research (later today). But the thought of an MMO in an environment like Oblivion or Skyrim is intriguing. We shall see.

dcapotos
05-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm prepared to be disappointed. Are you?!

Knuckle
05-04-2012, 10:21 AM
my boner is curving to the right

nichomachean
05-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm prepared to be disappointed. Are you?!

FoxxHound
05-04-2012, 11:31 AM
my boner is curving to the right

Shut up Meg.

Diggles
05-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Technically the same could have been said about EverQuest in 1998, but it worked out just fine.

And on the flipside, Sony has had plenty of MMO experience since then and still can't seem to get it right.

New mmo company means wow clone in this day and age

Knuckle
05-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Shut up Meg.

what? do not call me meg

FoxxHound
05-04-2012, 12:16 PM
what? do not call me meg

<3

Destan
05-04-2012, 02:24 PM
New mmo company means wow clone in this day and age

Common phrase heard in before 2004: "New MMO company means EverQuest clone in this day and age".

Felt that way about DAoC, Asheron's Call, etc etc...

At some point we'll break out of the WoW clone mold. Probably not with Elder Scrolls, but have hope...it's coming.

MrSparkle001
05-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Are you fucking reading anything or just slapping your cock on the reply button in anticipation for this game? Because yes, they've already confirmed:

a) The phasing system, which segregates all players based on which quests they're on and/or completed. WotLK-era WoW was mentioned in the article. They even mentioned that there will be a "few" EverQuest / Dark Age of Camelot-esque "public dungeons" but feel they will be unpopular. I also hate how these are coined "public dungeons" as if instances are the norm and public dungeons are some sort of crazy unwanted MMO experiment that they're tacking on to appease 10 people.

b) Copying WoW's quest-centric level grind. This is to be expected, as TES revolves around storyline quests, however they have admitted to be using the dumbed-down, hold your hand format of placing arrows and mini-map dots all over the place so players don't have to use more than 2 brain cells to level up.

c) 120 hours /played to reach max level, which is just over 2 weeks at 6 hours a day. Also worth mentioning that developers generally overestimate how long it takes to reach max level, so reaching max level in a week or two will definitely be feasible.

Not to mention all the other dumb shit such as using skills giving you finesse which allows you to use an "ultimate attack" which will... spawn an extra loot chest? Wtf.

You can be butthurt about them making ESO all you want, but it still sounds fun. I'm guessing you think WoW sucks, DAOC sucks, Rift sucks, and pretty much every other MMO of the past few years sucks.

DAOC public dungeons were dungeons all three realms could access, but I do expect most dungeons will be instanced. That's a good thing. It cuts down on camping which I seriously hated in EQ. You have an hour or two to play but can't do the dungeon mob you want because some loser's been camping it all day and you're shit out of luck.

I'm expecting DAOC 2 out of this, better than DAOC in every way.

Plus, 2 weeks at 6 hours a day? 6 hours a day?? Those are basement-dwelling losers who will do that, not your average player. You cannot design a game around basement-dwelling losers, because they'll always be unhappy and overly critical, like real life Comic Book Guys from The Simpsons.

The hype machine will make this game seem better than it will actually be though, that's guaranteed. It doesn't mean it will be a lolfailure like Spore though. Just don't jump to conclusions when the game is still like 2 years away.

Diggles
05-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Game is gonna be like swtor, tons of cash dumped in but still crashes

FoxxHound
05-04-2012, 03:15 PM
You can be butthurt about them making ESO all you want, but it still sounds fun. I'm guessing you think WoW sucks, DAOC sucks, Rift sucks, and pretty much every other MMO of the past few years sucks.

DAOC public dungeons were dungeons all three realms could access, but I do expect most dungeons will be instanced. That's a good thing. It cuts down on camping which I seriously hated in EQ. You have an hour or two to play but can't do the dungeon mob you want because some loser's been camping it all day and you're shit out of luck.

I'm expecting DAOC 2 out of this, better than DAOC in every way.

Plus, 2 weeks at 6 hours a day? 6 hours a day?? Those are basement-dwelling losers who will do that, not your average player. You cannot design a game around basement-dwelling losers, because they'll always be unhappy and overly critical, like real life Comic Book Guys from The Simpsons.

The hype machine will make this game seem better than it will actually be though, that's guaranteed. It doesn't mean it will be a lolfailure like Spore though. Just don't jump to conclusions when the game is still like 2 years away.

If I could grow a beard. I'd probably be a basement dwelling (well in my case closer to attic dwelling) neckbeard. Cause I am, and always probably will be waiting for an actual DAoC 2. Cause I am a massive fanperson.

Diggles
05-04-2012, 03:44 PM
GOD DAMN IT SOMEONE DELETED THAT GIF

FUUUUUCK

Diggles
05-04-2012, 06:08 PM
http://imgur.com/a/d7yCf#5

DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB

MrSparkle001
05-04-2012, 07:01 PM
If I could grow a beard. I'd probably be a basement dwelling (well in my case closer to attic dwelling) neckbeard. Cause I am, and always probably will be waiting for an actual DAoC 2. Cause I am a massive fanperson.

But would you be a douche like this Reikerz? (who btw is now ignored. I don't want to be bothered by douchebags.). DAOC 2 would rock, and as of right now there's a chance ESO will be it. It's too early to tell yet.

Diggles
05-04-2012, 07:57 PM
uh, hero engine piece of shit that looks nothing like elder scrolls, definitely DAOC 2

he's right, you're being retarded

Safon
05-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Diggles your new gif fucking sucks, please change it

azeth
05-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Diggles your new gif fucking sucks, please change it

yep, cat gif was way better. showed my wife 'n all

Diggles
05-04-2012, 08:09 PM
yep, cat gif was way better. showed my wife 'n all

sorry, someone took it off of its host and i didnt save it :[

Oh no I've been ignored, now I have no one to talk about The Boring Scrolls Online with!!

I loved DAoC. Guess what? Warhammer was also supposed to be DAoC 2. It sucked. SWTOR was supposed to be DAOC 2. It sucked. They at least had a glimmer of hope. You're comparing a game that is completely instanced by some dumb "phasing system" (ie. no open world PvP) to fucking DAoC? This is why you're retarded.

tru

Safon
05-04-2012, 08:16 PM
I hope you are searching for a new one as we speak

Diggles
05-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Any recommendations? Of material, I mean. Could find a new cat gif in like two secs

Safon
05-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Something with gratuitous violence

insertname
05-04-2012, 08:44 PM
This...
I am already cringing. They are probably going to be like. "Everyone loves WoW, and we don't know how to make an MMO so we will just make a WoW clone with better graphics."

Seems to be the trend now.

yeah - even STO went this rout...its WoW in space...so sad.
back to EvE \o/

Safon
05-04-2012, 08:45 PM
wut I want to do 2 that asian bitch in ur sig:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv8kj76mvK1r2fzujo2_400.gif

LOL

More disturbing gifs please! The more disturbing the better, creep the fuck out the squeamish, do it for the lulz!

Safon
05-04-2012, 08:55 PM
That's Gogo Yubari from Kill Bill btw (you should already know this)

Is that the movie where the white chick goes around massacring minorities?

Diggles
05-04-2012, 09:03 PM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/287sw8847sw7.gif

Diggles
05-04-2012, 09:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/w2hz2.gif

MrSparkle001
05-04-2012, 10:06 PM
uh, hero engine piece of shit that looks nothing like elder scrolls, definitely DAOC 2

he's right, you're being retarded

Again, too soon to judge. Rift and Oblivion use the same engine but aren't even close to the same graphics quality, and we can't expect a MMORPG to have the same graphics as single player elder scrolls games anyway. They purposely tone down the graphics for MMORPGs so that the greatest number of people can play. Rift even has the option to use a low quality renderer above and beyond choosing lowest settings.

You guys are really jumping to conclusions here. ESO has only been announced, we have no idea how it will look or play.

From what I've read SWTOR uses an incomplete and modified version of the Hero engine, so if that's how you're judging this you have to wait and see what they do with ESO. I'm not expecting it to look like Oblivion or Skyrim, nor play the same way. I'm expecting a cross between Rift and DAOC - Rift because it's almost a WoW clone and DAOC because of Matt Firor and what I've already read about the game.

Diggles
05-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Rift and Oblivion use the same engine

uh no

formallydickman
05-04-2012, 11:07 PM
uh no

They both use Gamebryo.

So did Fallout: New Vegas and Wheel of Fortune(lol).

Though Oblivion also uses Havok and Speedtree.

Diggles
05-04-2012, 11:10 PM
I WAS INFORMED RIFT USED HERO ENGINE

THAT PERSON HAS BEEN PUNISHED FOR SUCH FALSE INFORMATION

formallydickman
05-04-2012, 11:12 PM

I hope the punishment was swift and left physical and emotional scars that will last for decades.

MrSparkle001
05-05-2012, 01:28 AM

I wish it did use the hero engine. Rift in my opinion is a good game and I wouldn't mind seeing that engine used for ESO.

I don't know what the ESO team saw in the hero engine, but I do know SWTOR uses an incomplete and modified version of it so you can't really judge the engine based solely on that game. That's keeping me optimistic for now. We just have to wait and see.

Diggles
05-05-2012, 01:47 AM
since there's no other example i will base whatever judgements i want against another game that uses it. for all you know the incomplete modifications bioware made could have made it better (lol)

Diggles
05-05-2012, 01:50 AM
The game looks like a wow clone piece of shit. It's going to be a wow clone piece of shit because that's all MMO devs are capable of anymore. Just pray someone comes out with a decent Skyrim multiplayer mod and completely forget about this. You'll be much happier in the long run.

MrSparkle001
05-05-2012, 01:58 AM
The game looks like a wow clone piece of shit. It's going to be a wow clone piece of shit because that's all MMO devs are capable of anymore. Just pray someone comes out with a decent Skyrim multiplayer mod and completely forget about this. You'll be much happier in the long run.

They never even completed the Morrowind multiplayer mod. I'm not sure it's possible to do in Skyrim either. The Skyrim multiplayer mod currently has the same problems as the Morrowind one, which is super buggy and is really just a bunch of non-animated base player models floating around.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PX2W5snxhGc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Morrowind got to about that point too and hit a wall. I do keep my fingers crossed though!

Diggles
05-05-2012, 02:06 AM
still better than ESO

Safon
05-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Diggles i'm getting mighty sick of that annoying fucking gif. You said you'd change it, please keep your word

Nagach
05-05-2012, 08:35 AM
This MMO looks like shit.

FoxxHound
05-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Diggles i'm getting mighty sick of that annoying fucking gif. You said you'd change it, please keep your word

Which one? His current or the one with the cat?

Diggles
05-05-2012, 03:57 PM
fixt!

Diggles
05-07-2012, 01:10 AM
following true daoc design Aldmeri will be fucking overpowered as shit and have stealth parties that one-round anything they come across.

Diggles
05-07-2012, 01:11 AM
will probably go ebonheart if i did play this, if they add standard TES racials then breton would be pretty hard to pass up, though.

Arclyte
05-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Something about vikings allying themselves with dark elves and lizardmen just feels retarded

Diggles
05-07-2012, 12:08 PM
depending on what time period this is in, nords don't exactly fancy anyone else.

El Culo
05-07-2012, 12:25 PM
depending on what time period this is in, nords don't exactly fancy anyone else.

http://i.imgur.com/k2haH.jpg

Diggles
05-07-2012, 12:31 PM
brony?????

El Culo
05-07-2012, 01:51 PM
brony 2pac coming out a vjj

Caridry
05-11-2012, 03:15 PM

pretty much this.

I am by no means excited for this to come out, but i would like to try it, my mmo days are casual at best anymore (and free, thats why i am here).

But for those who give a shit about my 2 cents read on.

I WILL heavily defend DAoC, i see a few people saying its pve was too easy and instanced. It wasnt always that way, Jacobs and Firor did a GREAT job with PvE being simple and quick and get you into the action early on, Trials of Atlantis brought on a big grind to PvE (since a lot of people had a ton of alts). So as far as DAoC comes, you cant really bash it whatsoever (until EA bought out mythic and instancing came and everything turned into a giant shitpile of a disaster) because it served its purpose, it was fun, and everyone loved it and created a past time for many just like EQ did (after all, why are we here?). Its just too bad the DAoC private servers are SHIT.

As far as the daoc crew creating WAR and SWTOR, after EA bought out mythic, there were numerous trickle down layoffs, and all of those people went their seperate ways, were those people from daoc? possibly, but how much of a say did they really have in place of their other team mates? people usually want NEW ideas (even though they turn into whats already been done).

There will be no bomb dropped like WoW ever again. I hate WoW... with a passion, but its just not going to happen, it was a revolutionary game, and people want that massive bomb to drop again, and companies want to be that bomb. Its all already been done, because if wow didnt do it, a wow clone did, and had that idea as an extension.

"BUT GW2 HAS A TUCK AND ROLL AND HEAL YOURSELF!!!" Darkfall anyone?

Like I said, from here on out in the MMO world, its personal preference, enjoy your stay.

Diggles
05-11-2012, 03:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/otFHx.png?1