PDA

View Full Version : So i get banned for "boxing"

mizin
05-03-2012, 08:11 PM
So I get my brother to make an account and come play on the PvP server. He gets to level 8 and we head to unrest for some PL. Literally less than 10 minutes into being in the zone we both get banned. I obviously make a post in the petition forums that goes as follows.

I was just banned power leveling my brother in unrest. I had an ip exemption put on my account for a reason... we both play together. Literally in the same room.

The response?

You were power leveling him with both characters logged in from the same computer.

I sat and watched you box. You were obviously boxing and our system alerted us that they were logged in from the same computer.

So unless he was playing from your lap.....i don't believe he was participating.

Nice blatant lie in the bold right there. Not only was I actually not boxing there is no message GM's get when people even box from the same computer. We all have seen people do it and know people who still do. Hell im in vent right now with someone who is double boxing. After calling her out on the complete lie ive been ignored for the last week and a half.

If i was actually boxing i'd suck it up and leave.. but the fact that I wasn't and then being lied to by the GM herself who literally couldn't have watched us for more than 2 minutes is pretty sad. Hell we did two pulls and then he memmed his level 9 spells. I was banned right after. This server is barely still alive and I was someone who played constantly on it.. There goes another 2 players. Whats that 5% of the population?

I now understand why when i first started playing here everyone called her out on being a complete moron. Its clear she has no idea about anything. Which is why I've seen her log in and then talk in OOC about how she is on "but wont be helping anyone with any problems". She's the definition of useless. Solid Gm's all around. I guess lieing and then ignoring me when I explain what happened while calling you out on your bullshit is one way to deal with the situation. Well played. Peace *****s

quido
05-03-2012, 08:13 PM
lol

mizin
05-03-2012, 08:15 PM
We have one gigantic computer desk with both of our computers on it. We play literally right next to eachother.

SamwiseRed
05-03-2012, 08:15 PM
how can they tell if you are on the same computer or not. doesnt both show up as router ip? i aint not a+ cisco microsoft apple wiz grey hat cock sucker so someone enlighten me.

mizin
05-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Actually come to think of it.. it would honestly be easier to box his and mine from separate computers than to have to play both on mine. Considering my computer loves to crash when I play EQ in windowed mode.

SamwiseRed
05-03-2012, 08:16 PM
We have one gigantic computer desk with both of our computers on it. We play literally right next to eachother.

post set up with you and your bro, HOLDING HANDS. pics or it didnt happen. (sorry if you really werent boxing and got ban hammered by crazy people with crazy powers)

mizin
05-03-2012, 08:18 PM
They cant tell if you're on the same computer.. thats the point.. its a blatant lie and she had no idea what she was talking about. I know people who box on blue and red all the time from the same computer lol.. We've all seen it.

Seaweedpimp
05-03-2012, 08:19 PM
<< Allways been scared of being banned for something like this.

When my brothers GF started playing with me she had never played eq before, made alot of weird mistakes, like forgetting to sit, getting lost, having trouble keeping up with me in most places, among other things. Allways scared it looked like i was boxing.

lol

heartbrand
05-03-2012, 08:19 PM
You can add your name to the list with Angkar ( still waiting on even a date of suspension removal 3.5 weeks later ), IronLion (waiting on update on char for 2.5 months now), the guy whose items poofed on blue (over a year wait currently on update), Bruuce etc. You're fucked unfortunately. I feel for you, I really do. I had a friend who wanted to play from my house at times but because of this shit I would never even think of risking asking for an IP Exemption or having someone play from an IP even remotely close to mine. The fact that Xantille plays from the same city as me makes me nervous I might be banned for boxing.

heartbrand
05-03-2012, 08:20 PM
<Insert argument here about why are limited GM resources being used to police a low pop Red server for "boxing" rather than answering month old and sometimes year old petitions>

SamwiseRed
05-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Can i get a GM confirmation of checkiftwoclientsonsamebox.dll is working correctly. If so then why am I not banned for boxing an entire guild. thats right bitches. I AM BROTHERHOOD.

mizin
05-03-2012, 08:26 PM

When my brothers GF started playing with me she had never played eq before, made alot of weird mistakes, like forgetting to sit, getting lost, having trouble keeping up with me in most places, among other things. Allways scared it looked like i was boxing.

lol

Yeah this was his first character.. I twinked him out with some nice items but being next to him makes it alot easier when explaining everything to him.. plus theres no typing involved.

You can add your name to the list with Angkar ( still waiting on even a date of suspension removal 3.5 weeks later ), IronLion (waiting on update on char for 2.5 months now), the guy whose items poofed on blue (over a year wait currently on update), Bruuce etc. You're fucked unfortunately. I feel for you, I really do. I had a friend who wanted to play from my house at times but because of this shit I would never even think of risking asking for an IP Exemption or having someone play from an IP even remotely close to mine. The fact that Xantille plays from the same city as me makes me nervous I might be banned for boxing.

Reminds me of my jboots that poofed on my warrior on blue.. Petitioned to get those back months ago and was told to post on the forums. Did that and still never been answered. I guess she is doing some real justice with those bans. Derp

SamwiseRed
05-03-2012, 08:28 PM
damn bro. you sound like a decent chap. 2 less players for red99. one step closer to hitting bottom.

http://lateralaction.com/base/media/post-images/tyler-durden.jpg

mizin
05-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Can i get a GM confirmation of checkiftwoclientsonsamebox.dll is working correctly. If so then why am I not banned for boxing an entire guild. thats right bitches. I AM BROTHERHOOD.

Friend double boxed and pled a warrior of his from 1-mid 40's with his druid on blue before red was out. Amazing that with those system alerts the GM's get he was never banned lols.

mizin
05-03-2012, 08:30 PM
damn bro. you sound like a decent chap. 2 less players for red99. one step closer to hitting bottom.

http://lateralaction.com/base/media/post-images/tyler-durden.jpg

Eh I was. Always helping out the lowbies on my druid too. I'd make a new character but theres no way im grinding 1-50 solo again after being banned for doing nothing wrong.

SamwiseRed
05-03-2012, 08:30 PM

lol

lol ya i remember telling guys on vent, "look at this guy boxing" because she just stood there while i started nuking you. I was pretty sure you were boxing but red was down to 60 players so i thought, meh why bother. then i talked to you on EVE voice comms and got the real deal. good shit. i wonder how many legit ip exemptions have ate a ban.

SamwiseRed
05-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Eh I was. Always helping out the lowbies on my druid too. I'd make a new character but theres no way im grinding 1-50 solo again after being banned for doing nothing wrong.

gave druid away. i think i have a 20 halfling war account and a 20 bard account if you want. i think bard is one of the few people with a full set of fine steel (the one you have to blacksmith). looks so damn sexy.

Teeroyoyort
05-03-2012, 08:37 PM
You would be surprised what our GMs what access too. It wouldn't be that hard for them to check your mac ID on your Ethernet adapter PC in similar fashion how they know if ur hacking.

Teeroyoyort
05-03-2012, 08:38 PM
have access too*

SamwiseRed
05-03-2012, 08:40 PM
take pic of desk setup hommie. make a believe outta me.

Zallar
05-03-2012, 08:53 PM
You would be surprised what our GMs what access too. It wouldn't be that hard for them to check your mac ID on your Ethernet adapter PC in similar fashion how they know if ur hacking.

That's the first thing that occurred to me as well. If the anti-cheat .DLL sends the computers MAC address to the server logs, would be very EZ to tell if someone is boxing from the same computer.

Angkar
05-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah, that whole "server tells us when your 2 boxing on 1 comp" routine is nonsense.

I have been in vent with people from several guilds boxing 2 toons on 1 box, and 2 toons on 2 boxes.

So... yeah, its a myth.

Vile
05-03-2012, 09:23 PM
lolololololol

heartbrand
05-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Angkar have you gotten a single update on your suspension yet?

Lazortag
05-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah, that whole "server tells us when your 2 boxing on 1 comp" routine is nonsense.

I have been in vent with people from several guilds boxing 2 toons on 1 box, and 2 toons on 2 boxes.

So... yeah, its a myth.

So you know other people who've boxed and didn't report them?

.. Not only was I actually not boxing there is no message GM's get when people even box from the same computer. We all have seen people do it and know people who still do. Hell im in vent right now with someone who is double boxing. After calling her out on the complete lie ive been ignored for the last week and a half.

Why am I not sad that the above two players are banned?

Yeah this is stupid hyperbole and everyone who has an IP exemption and actually follows the rules knows it. I have an IP exemption with my fiancee and we have never been accused of anything suspicious. The idea that we'll get banned if one of us goes AFK is tinfoil hat nonsense.

Soldier
05-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Yeah this is stupid hyperbole and everyone who has an IP exemption and actually follows the rules knows it. I have an IP exemption with my fiancee and we have never been accused of anything suspicious. The idea that we'll get banned if one of us goes AFK is tinfoil hat nonsense.

Only reason you have not been banned for 2 boxing is cause gm's already know how bad you suck, they want to give you advantage

Lazortag
05-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Only reason you have not been banned for 2 boxing is cause gm's already know how bad you suck, they want to give you advantage

No, the reason I haven't been banned for 2-boxing is because I don't 2-box. Unlike at least two of the posters in this thread.

By the way, when I've killed you and you've never killed me, it looks stupid when you try to insult my skill:

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/itsnotrightnotright/zibby.jpg

mizin
05-03-2012, 10:17 PM

Why am I not sad that the above two players are banned?

Yup.. I'm not the police.. someone boxing 2 characters means jack shit to me on a dead server. If I see a warrior boxing a cleric so he can get some levels in im not gonna go cry to a GM about him being unfair. It doesnt concern me.

mizin
05-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Actually the thread was about me being banned for boxing when I wasn't.

mizin
05-03-2012, 10:21 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/49/dawson_crying.gif

I'm not sure what upset you so much? Wanna talk about it bro?

hijinks
05-03-2012, 10:24 PM
If you're playing from the same network, you're going to have the same external IP that is why you need the IP exemption to begin with. Remember, you're connecting to their server, what tools they have or don't have is kind of ridiculous to argue. I can't imagine that having a tool that tracks multiple connections from the same MAC address is that far out of a possibility.

If you know people that got away with it, it just means she/he wasn't online to catch it

Sux though, losing more pop not a cool thing

mizin
05-03-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm not the one crying about getting banned for 2 boxing.

You mad bro?

Because posting about how i was wrongfully banned is classified as crying?

You ignorant bro?

Safon
05-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Boxer circle jerk up in this thread

Wamorn
05-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Well if you were banned that would explaon why I haven't seen you online lately. Remember we were gonna trade PLs? You wanted me to play your sk while you PLd and you would PL my SK. You also asked if I had any trustworthy friends to play your druid while PLing us both.

So now it was your brother's sk? Sad to see the pop drop, also sad to see another manastone dissappear :(

SamwiseRed
05-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Well if you were banned that would explaon why I haven't seen you online lately. Remember we were gonna trade PLs? You wanted me to play your sk while you PLd and you would PL my SK. You also asked if I had any trustworthy friends to play your druid while PLing us both.

So now it was your brother's sk? Sad to see the pop drop, also sad to see another manastone dissappear :(

dont worry bro, more manastones than players on opening day. manastone the SoJ of EverQuest.

mizin
05-03-2012, 11:04 PM

Yeah I wanted to trade PL's. Like i said my brother was new.. he didnt really know what he was doing lol.

SamwiseRed
05-03-2012, 11:24 PM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/3727/249105-mantis_diggaa_castlevaniaa_super.jpg

mizin
05-03-2012, 11:55 PM
you realize you could prolly get unbanned in a couple months if u said ur sorry for blatantly boxing on a server that keylogs your shit instead of draggin your guilt all out in public and talkin shit on the gm

Apologize for something I didn't do to give a GM who was not only full of shit but completely wrong the satisfaction of thinking she was right? Nah.

kingsBlend
05-04-2012, 12:05 AM
They cant tell if you're on the same computer.. thats the point.. its a blatant lie and she had no idea what she was talking about. I know people who box on blue and red all the time from the same computer lol.. We've all seen it.

It's called a MAC address and from my experience with servers, its pretty easy to tell if multiple accounts are connected sharing the same MAC address. You were caught bro, deal with it.

Nolanite
05-04-2012, 12:35 AM
Lol naiya got banned? lolololololololoolloloolloloololloolo

mizin
05-04-2012, 01:44 AM
To everyone here saying I was caught.. Well i wasn't actually boxing. You believing me or not is actually irrelevant. Sam hit me up with a PM. That bard might be cool to play around with if you wanna work something out <3

jdklaw
05-04-2012, 02:07 AM
To everyone here saying I was caught.. Well i wasn't actually boxing. You believing me or not is actually irrelevant. Sam hit me up with a PM. That bard might be cool to play around with if you wanna work something out <3

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/eharmony-ipad-application.jpg

Soldier
05-04-2012, 02:40 AM
soon at this rate, there will be nobody left but big ol sarge, all i see is the pvp's going away 1 by 1, cut this guy some slack, he was not exploiting, only giving ol sarge daddy 2 targets to kill instead one.

Bardalicious
05-04-2012, 03:00 AM
Claiming that the P99 staff can't tell when you're connecting to their servers with two clients being run from the same machine, just because you "know a guy that 2-boxes" is utter bullshit.

The proxy .dll that they have you download is confirmed able to see the processes running on your machine. It sends that data back to them. How is it so fucking inconceivable to you that it sends back the MAC address of the PC that the client is being run on as well? There are already games that use this to limit 1 client per PC. It's not that difficult of a concept to understand.

What's more likely of a scenario?

1. Random_Scrub was ACTUALLY boxing, got caught, and is now butthurt enough to cry about it on the forums for sympathy.

2. GM of the server makes a snap-judgement to ban you for boxing without any real evidence, then falsely claim to have hard evidence that proves you're guilty.

You can kindly fuck off now, because number 1 wins out. What motive would the GM have for banning you, then claim they can monitor how many clients per PC are being used when ROGEAN will see the petition and step in if that information is false?

mizin
05-04-2012, 03:32 AM
Claiming that the P99 staff can't tell when you're connecting to their servers with two clients being run from the same machine, just because you "know a guy that 2-boxes" is utter bullshit.

The proxy .dll that they have you download is confirmed able to see the processes running on your machine. It sends that data back to them. How is it so fucking inconceivable to you that it sends back the MAC address of the PC that the client is being run on as well? There are already games that use this to limit 1 client per PC. It's not that difficult of a concept to understand.

What's more likely of a scenario?

1. Random_Scrub was ACTUALLY boxing, got caught, and is now butthurt enough to cry about it on the forums for sympathy.

2. GM of the server makes a snap-judgement to ban you for boxing without any real evidence, then falsely claim to have hard evidence that proves you're guilty.

You can kindly fuck off now, because number 1 wins out. What motive would the GM have for banning you, then claim they can monitor how many clients per PC are being used when ROGEAN will see the petition and step in if that information is false?

You seem to be extremely mad. Alot more mad than I am and I was the one who got banned. Your life must be pretty pathetic to get this angered. You sir, are quite virginous. Good day.

Wamorn
05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Nolanite, ypu need to learn how to read. I never got banned. I was saying Mizin asked me to play his druid or his sk while he played the other to PL it.

Whats your in game name? If your in range i'll come show you I am alive and well :)

Bhubbles
05-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Here's an idea. How about we don't ban the 2 boxers! Not a big deal..

Herb9
05-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Nolanite, ypu need to learn how to read. I never got banned. I was saying Mizin asked me to play his druid or his sk while he played the other to PL it.

Whats your in game name? If your in range i'll come show you I am alive and well :)

Starts QQ thread and obviously lies about circumstances.

Calls person who brings facts to his paranoid delusion mad.

Sorry that your enough of a nerd to play a 13 year old game but not enough of a nerd to understand what a macd is.

Juugox2
05-04-2012, 09:51 AM
WTB TAGS BACK

Wamorn
05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Herb9 what the helle are you talking about? I am not Mizin. I was pointing out when he approached me about PLing he wanted me to play "HIS" sk while he PL'd on his druid.and he would PL mty toon. He was calling it his sk twink and now that he got ip exemption and banned its his bro's. How is that qq?

Im sayin I dont believe him.

mostbitter
05-04-2012, 10:19 AM
herb9 is retarded known fact

heartbrand
05-04-2012, 10:21 AM
I've called toons "my toon" before even when I'm just borrowing them or helping the char out so not sure of this is a smoking gun.

dcapotos
05-04-2012, 10:25 AM
OP, a better argument to get your sorry ass out of being banned for actually multiboxing would be to claim that you and your "brother" were logged on to your desktop at the same time and he was playing remotely from his shitty laptop.

Wamorn
05-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Ya but if it WAS his brothers toon he wouldnt of asked a complete stranger to log on his 50 manastoned druid or twinked sk. Also wouldnt of asked a complete stranger if he had any trustworthy friends to play either char for him.

heartbrand
05-04-2012, 10:34 AM
I've trusted tons of people I don't know well. Tons of people I don't know well have trusted me. I'm not saying you're wrong just that this isn't some sort of incontrovertible piece of evidence.

goalie
05-04-2012, 10:40 AM
the good news is, you're banned.

now gtfo

Herb9
05-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Herb9 what the helle are you talking about? I am not Mizin. I was pointing out when he approached me about PLing he wanted me to play "HIS" sk while he PL'd on his druid.and he would PL mty toon. He was calling it his sk twink and now that he got ip exemption and banned its his bro's. How is that qq?

Im sayin I dont believe him.

Shrug I hit quote on #58 and it logged me in and in my post #59 was quoted. If editing was allowed here it'd have been fixed, instead I left it up to the posters to contextually fix the error in your own minds. Since that failed, I spelled it out for you guys.

shameless plug - most extensive collection of kills on all the retired + active names on the server in my sig, enjoy it, it's history now that all our enemies have left in defeat, and should be passed to your sons in songs of our greatness. every single troll on this forum can be found in there. all have died, none were able to get revenge, most quit in frustration. best players in server in Nihilum and nowhere else. Victory is Ours.

Nirgon
05-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Boxer gets caught, thinks community will save him.

HEH!!!

Soldier
05-04-2012, 12:39 PM
i dunno who is more mad... him or me for this. 2 less people in my range to pvp... thanks gm's, who cares about boxing, give me the sarge daddy 2 targets to kill.

Nirgon
05-04-2012, 12:52 PM
It's the principal big sarge. It's not just this guy, its if everyone could.

Personally? My feeling is you get 2 boxes, do as you see fit.

What this does is make buffs a given and anyone not 2boxing is dumb for not having a cleric to log on and buff themself with symbol and shit. Inb4 PvE implications.

Soldier
05-04-2012, 12:58 PM
I dont mind 2 boxing, i think it will open a whole new can of worms of fun on the server. I think the staff's policy is more or less geared towards blue on this. I think staff's whole main target for this rule is they dont want to eliminate grouping. Red server has no groups right now as it is, might be one a night from some one spamming in ooc a group is trying to made in sola, or sarge daddy might be grouping with some random newbies or lulz in CB or unrest. Most people know PvP with 2 boxing usally the non-main characther sits semi afkish and is first to go down, which people dont really care that much. I just think 2 boxing should be allowed to thrive the server population back up. Not only will have u have people 2 boxing which doubles population or itleast 80 percent will two box, but brings people back that always have wanted to, or see's how much fun 2 boxing brings for PvP

Nirgon
05-04-2012, 01:02 PM
You'd mind 2 boxing if all these people your level you fought had a boxed 50 cleric/druid/whatever covering their ass dude.

Soldier
05-04-2012, 01:15 PM
That is true, good point. But then I would too myself :)

Supreme
05-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Well it sucks that you got banned.

Virtual Machines=Win.

Nirgon
05-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Well Soldier, you could ruin the PvP immersion together :P.

BTW predictions incarnate re: twinks mobbing up with impunity (no item loot = Soldier).

/Salute the Sarge

Give em hell.

Smedy
05-04-2012, 02:36 PM
i wonder what technique is used to determine if one computer is used to run both clients.

if it's mac adress which is used it can give false positive as a router acts like a nic to the internet and thus all computers behind it looks like they come from the same ip.

who knows, just my 2 cents, sad 2 see pop drop for stupid shit like this imo.

Supreme
05-04-2012, 03:27 PM
connection through the login server would be my guess.

Bardalicious
05-05-2012, 02:39 AM
i wonder what technique is used to determine if one computer is used to run both clients.

if it's mac adress which is used it can give false positive as a router acts like a nic to the internet and thus all computers behind it looks like they come from the same ip.

who knows, just my 2 cents, sad 2 see pop drop for stupid shit like this imo.

With the way the anti-hack DLL works, the mac would be pulled directly from the machine that the client is being run on, put into a data packet on that machine, then passed to the router and then to the i-net. The router wouldn't affect the information stored in said data packet in any way.

Smedy
05-05-2012, 02:42 AM
dat backdoor access

i wonder how much of my delicious porn rogean has leeched so far

mizin
05-05-2012, 02:45 AM

I never asked you to play my druid or SK rofl. I said I didn't trust anyone well enough to let them play an account.

Starts QQ thread and obviously lies about circumstances.

Calls person who brings facts to his paranoid delusion mad.

Sorry that your enough of a nerd to play a 13 year old game but not enough of a nerd to understand what a macd is.

Implying you understand anything. Hilarity ensues.

Ya but if it WAS his brothers toon he wouldnt of asked a complete stranger to log on his 50 manastoned druid or twinked sk. Also wouldnt of asked a complete stranger if he had any trustworthy friends to play either char for him.

Again, not only did i not ask you to play or log into my account, i dont even have a mana stone. What are you talking about? I said id be willing to give out the druid info long before the SK to someone I TRUSTED. hmm i wonder why? oh because the sk is my brothers and i dont need to go around explaining to everyone whose account its whose when its irrelevant to you.

Boxer gets caught, thinks community will save him.

HEH!!!

Don't expect the community to do anything actually. Simply saying I was wrongfully banned regardless of how many of you believe me.

Tombom
05-05-2012, 02:54 AM
sad to see pop go......

but you are fully invested, just buy a new computer!

s1ckness
05-05-2012, 03:36 AM
yea amelinda full of shit,

she tried to say i was 2boxing on the same computer and that alert thing went off

http://i46.tinypic.com/2pyc6ww.jpg

she such a moran

jdklaw
05-05-2012, 03:39 AM
LOL

s1ckness
05-05-2012, 03:39 AM
ps i got out of it and i was not banned

s1ckness
05-05-2012, 03:40 AM
but she did ban all my forum accounts

Tombom
05-05-2012, 03:40 AM
IVE GOT THE SAME CHAIR BRO NICE

jdklaw
05-05-2012, 03:42 AM
whats that thing on ur bong?

s1ckness
05-05-2012, 04:05 AM
http://tokeez.com/images/fullscreen/product-tokeez-big.jpg

jdklaw
05-05-2012, 04:15 AM
http://tokeez.com/images/fullscreen/product-tokeez-big.jpg

sweet

Nolanite
05-05-2012, 03:56 PM

That's funny, I attacked you the other day and you insta-gated. N ~~~~~ U ~~~~~B

Dullah
05-05-2012, 06:36 PM
You'd mind 2 boxing if all these people your level you fought had a boxed 50 cleric/druid/whatever covering their ass dude.

They could play a mean defense, but other than that you just range their healer. In most places its not possible to run two chars in pvp.

kindred
05-05-2012, 07:59 PM
They could play a mean defense, but other than that you just range their healer. In most places its not possible to run two chars in pvp.

Sounds like a boxer from a boxing guild. What guild are you in?

Arillious
05-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Consider yourself lucky. GM saved you from wasting days of your life on server that has become irrelevant.

Sniperfire
05-06-2012, 04:16 AM
http://www.google.com/imgres?start=168&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS482US482&biw=1040&bih=734&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=kiYf9RUrQsjbMM:&imgrefurl=http://blogs.medindia.net/2011/12/page/2/&docid=r4ODHdc3_S8HhM&imgurl=http://www.medindia.net/afp/images/Brazil-health-science-children-286555.jpg&w=300&h=250&ei=LjOmT47eLaOjiQK6z8ChAg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=150&sig=114726246582143282822&page=10&tbnh=167&tbnw=200&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:168,i:199&tx=106&ty=97

Silikten
05-06-2012, 05:09 PM

Your network card (thing that plugs interwebs to pc) had a unique I.D. (IP). It can be tracked.

kprobe
05-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Macs are not reliable 'beyond reasonable doubt' evidence. Routers typically show single mac for whole network; even if backdoor was implemented, you can change mac to a new address on nearly any hardware these days. It is however unlikely for the average user to have the necessary hardware (special nics) to hook two 'same mac' computers to a router.

That said backdoor could easily detect multiple instances of a game running on the same OS, send special packets based on hardware profile (i.e. simple hashing), which would be generally unique for each computer. Its also highly likely IP exemptions are on a watch list in general.

I'd say if they are implementing auto-detection with MAC addressing, its a lazy, but largely effective for average cases if they're OK with false positives; which, based on history, this server's admins seems to be, but it could be something else.

Without more data, its hard to say anything but reasonable conjecture on the technical side of things.

Either way boxing is determined based on behavior as it has to be caught in the act. This can also lead to false positives in cases of AFK and new players.

This leads to inconclusive evidence on the technical side. What we're left with is whether we believe the people's stories on either side of on the event.

El Culo
05-07-2012, 12:32 AM
MAC address probably isn't used. Would literally just have an int counter in the dll itself with # of eq instances and then # of open p99worldserver streams (so you could still box another server or even play live at same time). This is realistically how it is probably done but I still havent been able to unpack and extract any good info from the antihax yet. My top indians are working on it though.

Bardalicious
05-07-2012, 03:41 AM
As stated previously the router has no bearing on what MAC address the data packet sent back contained. It wouldn't be reading a MAC address attached to the data packet externally, because yes, the router would be stripping that information and adding its own. The MAC of the computer that the data packet originated on would be contained in the actual data of the packet (i.e. untouched by the router). It's possible to spoof a MAC address, correct, but unless you were trying to give each instance of eqgame.exe it's own MAC address information on the same machine, why would you bring that up? It has no bearing on someone being caught reporting back two accounts logged in from the same MAC. You likely wouldn't purposely spoof a second PC to have the same MAC as a PC on your own network, as that generally defeats the purpose.

It's possible this is used in conjunction with the system process list they get back, yes, similar to how they can see if macroquest.exe is running and such. Same MAC address listed for each account logged in AND the process list shows two copies of eqgame.exe in memory? Yep, 95% of the time that would be someone boxing.

Rogean
05-07-2012, 05:40 AM
Ahh, this feels like Toop all over again. Person breaks rules, gets caught, swears innocence to enstill doubt in population, get sympathy.

Anyways, I'll have you know that I looked into the ban on the OP's accounts, and confirmed that not only were they boxing at the time on the same pc, but in every single case of accounts logged into from their household, they were always from the same single computer.

You guys are on the right track with the DLL, but I'll say that nothing is based on the MAC Address. Nor is it processes (Our DLL does not send information to the server about other processes running on your computer unless a process interacts with the EQ Client).

:)

Tombom
05-07-2012, 06:10 AM
incinerated

Destan
05-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Ahh, this feels like Toop all over again. Person breaks rules, gets caught, swears innocence to enstill doubt in population, get sympathy.

Anyways, I'll have you know that I looked into the ban on the OP's accounts, and confirmed that not only were they boxing at the time on the same pc, but in every single case of accounts logged into from their household, they were always from the same single computer.

You guys are on the right track with the DLL, but I'll say that nothing is based on the MAC Address. Nor is it processes (Our DLL does not send information to the server about other processes running on your computer unless a process interacts with the EQ Client).

Rogean wins the thread. Time to start a new one!

Wamorn
05-07-2012, 08:38 AM
The dsetup.dll tracks something...my sophos is constantly popping up saying its a virus/malware. I had to set it to skip live scanning that file in order to play

Hovis
05-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Your network card (thing that plugs interwebs to pc) had a unique I.D. (IP). It can be tracked.

also known as private IP address.. still love you fried <3

Wamorn
05-07-2012, 08:48 AM
The dsetup.dll tracks something...my sophos is constantly popping up saying its a virus/malware. I had to set it to skip live scanning that file in order to play

Wamorn
05-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Sorry for dbl post

Arillious
05-07-2012, 10:07 AM
^
lol think's any video game is "relevant"

Not sure you understand what relevant means.... Either way, the point is that the GM saved him from wasting time grinding away on a server that be non existent.

SamwiseRed
05-07-2012, 10:19 AM

can you hack my girlfriends facebook? i know that bitch is cheating. thnx

Bardalicious
05-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Cazic Rogean shouts, "MIZIN!"

kprobe
05-07-2012, 01:16 PM

Cheers for clarification. Sounds like its a bit more solid damning evidence =)

Nirgon
05-07-2012, 03:37 PM

THE EMPEROR'S JUSTICE HAS COME FOR YOU FGTS.

ALL HAIL EMPEROR ROGEAN.

YOU SHOULDA NEVER LEFT FOR STAR WARS AND YOU KNOW IT.

WB BREW.

Bardalicious
05-07-2012, 04:14 PM

I admit that I haven't been around much lately, but per Secrets when the .dll first came out and the sting took place, and this post by Uthgaard:

If I'm remembering this right, webwolf was flagged because he was looking at macroquest in a web browser while logged into p99, which actually triggered the system to recognize the browser as macroquest, since it was intended to look for it no matter what it's name was, but browsers have this interesting habit of putting the page title in the application name.

Also also, why are half of the people in this thread banned?

If above post is accurate to my previous understanding of how the .dll worked, then yes, at least previously it sent back running process information (thus the browser, which wouldn't have interacted with eqgame.exe in any way, still sent a false positive back to you).

Idk, just being argumentative I suppose. It really doesn't matter to me - It was highly intuitive to have implemented a proxy dll to work around client file alterations to stop cheating and I appreciate the addition.